Islamic fundamentalist president of indonesia

What if, in the last election (I mean the one that happened before the one a few days ago) Indonesians elected an Islamic fundamentalist? What happens? Americans invade? Australia freaks out?

America invading? A country of several thousand islands full of rainforest, with a pop greater than 100 millions, who'll be willing to defend their land? That's (sorry Americans) like Vietnam, but ten times worse!

Max Sinister said:
America invading? A country of several thousand islands full of rainforest, with a pop greater than 100 millions, who'll be willing to defend their land? That's (sorry Americans) like Vietnam, but ten times worse!

When was this election held?

If the Islamic regime harbored terrorists (or if the intel said they did), then Bush might just invade.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Mikey said:
If the Islamic regime harbored terrorists (or if the intel said they did), then Bush might just invade.
NO BLOOD FOR NASI LEMAK!

Actually, I understand that Indonesia is one of the world's largest suppliers of tin, but I think I prefer nasi lemak. In any case, they don't have oil, so that's out.

Mikey said:

That I like. It could do for Sino-US relations what the Iraq War did for Arab-US friendship. But I'm sure it would be welcome at the Pentagon. The Navy must be feeling left out after everybody else got to show off in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Valamyr

Banned
Mikey said:
When was this election held?

Mikey is right.

Indonesia has oil.

Indonesia, accoring to Wiki, produces oil, natural gas, tin, copper, and gold, while its farmers produce rice, tea, coffee, spices, and rubber. So an invasion for oil is possible, especially if the government harbors terrorists and has an Islamic regime.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Do you realise what we are talking blithely about invading ? Apart from its humungous size, any invader would get drawn into the Christian-Muslim conflict in places like Lomnok, bloody, vicious affairs. Separatist movements such as that in Aceh would be a nightmare - unless we invade and say sure, go your own way...and then watch as dozens of other places try to jump on that bandwagon

Grey Wolf

Valamyr

Banned
Grey Wolf said:
Do you realise what we are talking blithely about invading ? Apart from its humungous size, any invader would get drawn into the Christian-Muslim conflict in places like Lomnok, bloody, vicious affairs. Separatist movements such as that in Aceh would be a nightmare - unless we invade and say sure, go your own way...and then watch as dozens of other places try to jump on that bandwagon

Grey Wolf

Oh I know the US would get their arses kicked all the way back to pearl harbor, but really, did it stop Bush?

An invasion for ressources is possible, just unlikely to succeed.

Basically like Iraq. Even Rumsy is starting to say that the US troops may pull back before the job is done. We're already being prepared to accept defeat, though we're only supposed to realize that after Bush is re-elected.

Hopefully this fiasco will beat some modesty into America.

Valamyr said:
Oh I know the US would get their arses kicked all the way back to pearl harbor, but really, did it stop Bush?

An invasion for ressources is possible, just unlikely to succeed.

Basically like Iraq. Even Rumsy is starting to say that the US troops may pull back before the job is done. We're already being prepared to accept defeat, though we're only supposed to realize that after Bush is re-elected.

Hopefully this fiasco will beat some modesty into America.

If necessary we nuke Indonesia into oblivion, a terrorist center in Indonesia is not acceptable.

It would be highly unlikely that bush would invade indonesia. Bush is rational about that stuff. What woud probably happen is probably a major trade sanctions at first. but if indonesia still will not falter to sactions, and takes a step further by harboring terrorist networks, then the US and austrailia may just bomb the hell out of the nation. But i would not forsee any type of commitment of ground forces unless there is major support from the key nations around the pacific.

To have a fundamentalist president of Indonesia, you'd need a POD in the past, that brings fundamentalism to dominate the Indonesian archipelago. In OTL, most Indonesians aren't extremists - their Islam is moderate and they also retain traditional spiritual beliefs that predate Islam.

oh for Pete's sake... just because Indonesia elects (elects, mind you... not a revolution or dictatorship) a fundamentalist Islamic president (PM, whatever) doesn't automatically mean that he would support terrorism.. shocking as it may be to some of you, there are plenty of Islamic fundamentalists out there who don't like terrorism any more than we do. Also, it wouldn't be a given that Bush and/or Australia would invade just because he was elected. This guy would have to do something to seriously P.O. America before that would happen... he'd have to support terrorism, be a bother to his neighbors, etc. Get a grip, people....

Ah guys. I think everyone should take a deep breath. Indonesia will not elect a Islamic fundamentalist president. They may have militaristic presidents, nationalistic jingoist types, even corrupt ones, but not an Islamic fundamentalist one. Basically, there are only a small number of Indonesians that can be classed as Islamic fundamentalist. In fact most Indonesians, in other words Javanese & Sumartans, aren't all that strictly religious.

It's national/ethnic ties that are far more important in Indonesia than religion. In many respects, Indonesia should really be seen as a Javanese Empire. In being so, the secular is far more important to Indonesian government than religious aspects. In fact religious fundamentalists, regardless of the Indonesian governments of Sukarno, Suharto & the recent democratic governments, have all viewed such groups as dangerous & rebellious. So I can't see how an Islamic fundamentalist, who has little support in the general population, let alone those in already in power, will become an Indonesian president.