IJN Carrier attack on Hawaii - January 1942. Wargame for thread in progress.

2nd Daylight turn of Day 4 is completed. Midway is under more bombardment, 25% intensity of first bombardment.

No search results beyond that. Daylight turn 3 is next.

TY.:)

All it would take is for everyone to get the same counters both Dilvish & I got, with only the player & GM having the TF dispositions & actual positions.

That could work.

I can tell you now I've mostly been reacting to events. I had a broad plan of attack, but circumstances dictated. In retrospect, I think I'd detail the heavies for shelling Oahu, instead.

I would agree that it would probably have been better to shell Oahu - or generally to skip the big air raid on Pearl Harbor - but I think that you've performed rather well overall. We'll see how this ends!

Adding maps, etc., seems like a must. Having actual command teams might be cool too.

I agree with both of those two points. This seems like it could be the start of something cool and interesting. :)

In retrospect, I think I'd detail the heavies for shelling Oahu, instead.

Argh. Coastal artillery rules. I could sidestep them with Midway by saying that bombardment was out of range of shore guns.

The US army had 4 x 16" pieces on Oahu in two batteries. Fire control was very good - done by way of observation stations in the mountains. With plunging fire, these would be very dangerous unless supressed by gunfire or dive bombers. IJN doctrine at Midway was that battleships don't fight coastal guns. But at Oahu there is a viable target that makes it worth the potential loss of a BB to coastal guns - Saratoga in drydock.

RCTFI said:
I would agree that it would probably have been better to shell Oahu - or generally to skip the big air raid on Pearl Harbor - but I think that you've performed rather well overall. We'll see how this ends!
Thx. All considered, if I can successfully put troops ashore on Midway, I'll consider I've done really well, VP or no.
RCTFI said:
I agree with both of those two points. This seems like it could be the start of something cool and interesting. :)
For this game, IDK if staff is really needed, if the game files are routinely updated & dropped (& player-only update file links could easily be PMd). Perhaps two players a side would be good, to keep everything co-ordinated, but IMO more than that is a bit overkill. Unless anybody wants to simulate genuine chain of command...& I'm not sure I want that frustration.:p (Not unless I also have the option to fire you, too.:p)
zert said:
Darn Murphy! He realltblikes to screw things up. ;)
Nothing like a neutral observer to keep things in perspective, eh, Groucho?:p

zert said:
Well rather Groucho than Harpo. :D
You missed the gag line, didn't you?;) Something Groucho once said: "There's nothing like [a thing I can't recall:eek:], & you're nothing like it.":p

I just realized.:eek: Seeing how it was such a good break for me, & seeing you knew Lex was that direction, Dilvish, why did you send the BBs the same way? Reaction to the sub hitting one the first time?

Something else: we don't have counters for our notional (or located) positions of enemy ships. Maybe we should.

One last thing. Dilvish, when you went after Chitose, did you get any impression where she was bound? I had hoped to use her to lure you toward Midway & my BBs.

I assumed Chitose was running away, with the northwest being the safest direction to run towards. I did consider sending in cruisers to finish Chitose off. She was too far away for my fuel state though. Plus my cruisers may have sailed into range of your carriers. Your BBs would have come as a really nasty shock. :eek:

I sortied the BBs because I didn't like all that combat power just sitting there. As it turns out though, their AA batteries would have been useful when you raided Oahu. I wasn't even thinking about my BBs being a compass to Lexington.

I was also hoping to cripple one or more carriers enough that my BBs could catch up to your cripples.

You missed the gag line, didn't you?;) Something Groucho once said: "There's nothing like [a thing I can't recall:eek:], & you're nothing like it.":p

Ok, you got me. I DID miss it, but I will take the egg on my face in stride sir. ;):D

So many missed opportunities and patrols on both sides.

Why does that sound like real life and OTL folks? :D

When the war-game is done, does anyone want to write up a description of the POD and resulting battles and post them in a separate thread to see where things progress from there?

When the war-game is done, does anyone want to write up a description of the POD and resulting battles and post them in a separate thread to see where things progress from there?

I would love to read such a thread, if someone else writes it. My own writing ability is enough to entertain myself, and that is about it. :p;):D

TY.:)

All it would take is for everyone to get the same counters both Dilvish & I got, with only the player & GM having the TF dispositions & actual positions.

I can tell you now I've mostly been reacting to events. I had a broad plan of attack, but circumstances dictated. In retrospect, I think I'd detail the heavies for shelling Oahu, instead.

I second phx1138's second paragraph. The map itself is a large excel page. One possibility is to post the map, minus any positions, at the start of the thread. Glenn could then post the zone numbers of units known to both sides.

i've been mostly reacting to events myself. That is funny. :D That did seem to be the way Coral Sea and Midway played out historically. I am now regretting that last B17 strike against your fleet. That was a lot of searching capability lost. Though it was probably true to US tactics at the time.

I would love to read such a thread, if someone else writes it. My own writing ability is enough to entertain myself, and that is about it. :p;):D

It wouldn't have to be very detailed. Start out by saying something like how the Battle of Oahu began when the First Air Fleet (or whatever the unit is called) was dispatched for a follow-up raid on Hawaii rather than supporting whatever the OTL invasion they supported.

Summarize the battle and then we can discuss what happens from there. If Midway falls, that'd be the First Battle of Midway, with the second being the liberation of said island. I imagine that'd be a priority, since Midway could be used as a base for any follow-up harrying of Hawaii, spying on U.S. fleet movements, etc. If it doesn't fall, this would be the Second (or perhaps Third?) Bombardment of Midway.

A back and forth Battle of Midway, changing hands with each invasion? It would become a sub magnet as the Battle for Wake thread seems to imply. :eek:

Events from the final daylight turn so far -

The BB bombardment of Midway continues.

An invasion force of 8 tranports and 2 cruisers has commenced the invasion of Midway. The garrison reports heavy fighting along the beach.

A small B-17 air strike appeared over the invasion force. It encountered no enemy fighters, and bombed the motionless transports. One transport was hit, fires spread, and it sank.

Dilvish said:
post the map, minus any positions, at the start of the thread. Glenn could then post the zone numbers of units known to both sides.
That was essentially what I was thinking. Everybody gets the same map & counters file to start, with players also getting the organization counters.
Dilvish said:
i've been mostly reacting to events myself. That is funny. :D That did seem to be the way Coral Sea and Midway played out historically.
I think it has to be. You've got to take account what the enemy will do, & is doing, & of your own losses. My own broad intent hasn't changed, so in that sense, the plan is succeeding.;)
Dilvish said:
I am now regretting that last B17 strike against your fleet. That was a lot of searching capability lost. Though it was probably true to US tactics at the time.
You think it cost you the ability to detect the transport force?

What say you, Glenn?

I think I'd probably have attacked with them, too. (Except I'd have had no real confidence in their success, based on OTL,:p so maybe not...;))
zert said:
I DID miss it, but I will take the egg on my face in stride sir. ;):D
Glad to hear you're not offended.:) It serves me right for doing really old jokes.:eek:

That was essentially what I was thinking. Everybody gets the same map & counters file to start, with players also getting the organization counters.

For right now, I can send onlookers the map via offline email. Bit late in the game for that though.

What say you, Glenn?

Mike's Midway garrison had insufficient resources to do large scale sweeps out to 600nm. So his pattern was covering more horizon to only 300 miles. The funny thing was, the IJN transport and covering forces were hovering out at about the 500 mile range. Then, when they started to close, the US search coverage switched directions in response to the carrier actions to the east.

Kevin's tactics validate some of the fundamentals to the IJN doctrine of splitting forces and causing confusion. However, if this game were testing the US INTEL advantage, I would have secretly provided Mike with better INTEL on Japanese movements and intentions, and in that case one of Mike's options was to pounce on the transport group when the IJN carriers were far away.