If You Could Change One Historical Event, What Would It Be?

Go to back in time to Paris in 1918, find everyone negotiating the treaty of Versailles, and give them histories of the Second World War and the Cold War.

Go to back in time to Paris in 1918, find everyone negotiating the treaty of Versailles, and give them histories of the Second World War and the Cold War.

Wouldn't work. Half of them would decide the Treatry needed to be harsher, the other half that it needed to be more lenient. End result would be just as big a mess as OTL.

As for a pop culture move, I'd go back to 1989 with a copy of Loud-Quiet-Loud, hunt down Black Francis and Kim Deal and force them to watch it and see where their bickering will lead them and their band.

Hopefully, it'll be enough to save The Pixies...:cool:

Seriously, listen to Last Splash and Frank Black...those are Pixies albums minus the musical chemistry of the actual Pixies to pull 'em off. (not that either album is necessarily bad, just that the songs would have been far better if performed by The Pixies) Hell, I'd even go so far as to say most of Pod and Safari were, despite Tanya Donelly's contribution, mostly Kim Deal using songs she knew the Pixies were never going to record.

As for a pop culture move, I'd go back to 1989 with a copy of Loud-Quiet-Loud, hunt down Black Francis and Kim Deal and force them to watch it and see where their bickering will lead them and their band.

Hopefully, it'll be enough to save The Pixies...:cool:

Seriously, listen to Last Splash and Frank Black...those are Pixies albums minus the musical chemistry of the actual Pixies to pull 'em off. (not that either album is necessarily bad, just that the songs would have been far better if performed by The Pixies) Hell, I'd even go so far as to say most of Pod and Safari were, despite Tanya Donelly's contribution, mostly Kim Deal using songs she knew the Pixies were never going to record.
I think it better if you went back to 1980s Germany and convince young Uwe Boll to never enter filmmaking.

"Surprises Galore"

...December 7th, 1941...

...0742 HRS...

Mitsuo Fuchida leads 183 aircraft to attack Pearl Harbor and other targets on Oahu...

...as he looks up to see the sun, 50 P-40's and 20 P-36's scream out off light, guns blazing...

You decide what happens next........

I would've told the guy who built the bomb that almost killed Hitler in the Beer Hall in November 1939 to set the clock timer back about thirty minutes.

boredatwork

Banned
hmm.

Kidnap young Mohammed, drop him off in a monastery in Ireland as a foundling. Butterfly world.

Convince the Mongol fleet to sail a week earlier for the conquest of Japan - Butterfly pacific.

Frame young Cromwell for theft - have him sent to the colonies as his sentence. Butterfly isles

Find Voltaire & Rouseau good paying gigs for life in Vienna, and a very different set of events in France in 1789 result. Butterfly Europe

Get young Hitler an arts scholarship to Paris - w/ enough funds to keep him in the arts through, say, 1960 - very different twentieth century in Europe.

Teen-aged Karl Marx & Freiderich Engels end up in Alaska during one of the Gold Rushes and strike it (very very) rich - political theory and history thrown for a loop.

1300's - a mysterious stranger drops off (translated) copies of Adam Smith's - the wealth of nations, to every secular & clerical ruler in Europe.

Visit Emperor Constantine after his conversion - hand him (translated) copies of modern texts on the decline and fall of the Roman empire.

Visit the iroquois confederacy (or predecessor tribes) in the 1400s. Bring (translated) recordings of texts on basic engineering(civil, automotive, nautical), metallurgy, medicine, and history of NAM - through current day. -should play merry heck with the age of colonization.

(I'm into butterflies, and not feeling terribly bloodthirsty today)

October 14th, 2003. Mr. Steve Bartman, who had a very bad day, has a worse one, as he is tasered and locked in a closet somewhere outside of Wrigley Field. Or gets different seats, whichever. Maybe it changes what happens, maybe it doesn't.

(Side Note: Bartman gets blamed unfairly, just like Bill Buckner. It was never clear that Moises Alou could have even gotten to the ball, and Alou's childish reaction didn't help. Also, there was another game the next day! The Cubs could have won Game 7, same as the Red Sox in '86).

I figured that i would just pop up again with afew more things

1-tell Alexander II not to get out of his carrige thereby preventing him from being killed in the bomb attack.

2-go back to america during the election of 1800 and tell all of the electors to vote for Aaron Burr

3-shoot thomas paine in a dark alley to prevent him from writing "common sense"

4-if shooting thomas paine doesnt work,I will tell Gorge Wahington of the benefits of being a citizen of the glorious british empire. and if he doesnt listen to my advice i'll just shoot in a dark alley to keep him from leading the continental army. Hopefully causing Britain to win the revolutionary war.

5- i'll go to fords theatre keep a watch for Booth and keep him from getting anywhere near president lincon.

6-this one is just for my entertainment but, I would visit Andrew Jackson after he becomes presdident, and i would ask him if he would like to go have a drink at the bar where we would get hammered and play cards.

I'd tip the boat, William Henry Pope, was using to bring the Canadians to the Charlottetown Conference, and let the Right Coast unite.

1920- Abolish the Homerun. That way, Ruth can PITCH for the Yankees, and Walter Johnson uses Cowhide for epicozvictaoryzas

1920- Abolish the Homerun. That way, Ruth can PITCH for the Yankees, and Walter Johnson uses Cowhide for epicozvictaoryzas

How would you win at baseball then?

and at that note: Make George Brett stronger and faster so he can beat the hell out of the yankees!

Gold - convince Nicholas to dump Rasputin and enact reforms.

Silver - convince the British government not to rely on Lockheed or McDonnell Douglas for aerospace needs. This may lead to a better military today.

Bronze - Convince Canada not to cancel the Avro Arrow.

Gold- Show up in New Jersey 1911 and savagely beat Woodrow Wilson to death with his own shoes Germany wins WW1 and we get to skip WW2 (going on the assumption that WW1 is more or less unavoidable)
Silver- September 9-10 2001... 20 seemingly unrelated men with extensive middle east travel to their experience wind up tossed into a woodchipper
Bronze- Appear at Ike's HQ Autumn '44 cancel Market Garden, and swing Patton around Metz and into Luxembourg, war over by xmas and half of Germany gets to skip 50 years of communist oppression
Honorable mention- 1862 send Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson some exploding Castro cigars

Go to 1918 and load Fanny Kaplan's gun with far more efficient bullets when she goes to kill Lenin. Trotsky as GenSec, still winning the Russian Civil War, and good bye Stalin.

Or...

Go to 1923, enter the inn where Adolf Hitler retired after the failure of the Beer Hall Putsch, and convince him to pull the trigger when he's torn by the desire to kill himself.

Give Thatcher another 25 votes on Nov. 22, 1990, and show the dissidents newspaper clippings of all the Major sleaze, plus clippings of Blair's 3 victories in 1997, 2001 and 2005 as a double whammy.