If They Want It Then They Can Have It.

"Let me make this clear. This body will not be harangued, lectured or threatened by extremists who seek to impose their bigotry and hatred onto those who wish for peace, harmony and acceptance

Brian Faulkner speaking at the first meeting of the Religious Affairs Authority.

Marr 2007
"Looking back now it seems that the creation of a statelet or a pseudo-micronation out of Ulster seems like a fantasy with the emotional baggage 0f 50 years of bloody history. Yet it seemed that there was an enormous amount of...goodwill is far too strong and too neat an answer.

Its more apt to say that there was a huge of amount of weariness over what had gone before and the ordinary citizens of that benighted province were desperate for change"

"Belfast Telegraph"

Radio listeners in the province will soon have a new station showcasing the best of both sides of the border. 'Radio Harmony' is a joint effort between the BBC and RTE which will broadcast not just music but also historical documentaries, comedy shows and coverage of both the Ulster Assembly and the Irish Dail

Marr 2007

"Carrickfergus. A large town in County Antrim situated on the banks of the River Lough. West Street on a quiet Saturday morning. 2 men amble up the road. One showing the other round, particular focus is given to several buildings. Dressed in casual wear no-one takes any notice. If they had then they would have been perturbed by the stranger's strong Dublin accent. One was an RUC officer, the other a senior member of the Garda"

BBC Sportscene

"We're getting reports of a loud explosion at Celtic Park. Strathclyde Police are at the scene as well as ambulances and the fire brigade..."

"We stand by our brothers and sisters in the South in their struggle to secure Ulster for its rightful owners and to purge all non-desirables and aliens who seek to destroy our birthright"

Statement by the Scottish Loyalist Front

Marr 2007
"26 people were killed at Celtic Park with 77 injured. The SLF were brethren of the UIA. That was quickly realised by the security services. What wasn't as grasped as quickly was the deep rooted racism that provided the core of both groups and it was racism. Politics played very little part in the actions of the groups. History has a way of repeatedly pushing blood feuds to the surface and it was going to get bloodier"

Peter Taylor 2000

"The fresh spate of attacks by the UIA and SLF changed the dynamic of the conflict in ways that the establishment never dreamed of. The attack at Celtic Park incensed Catholics across the UK and led to the reopening of channels between Glasgow and Derry"

Marr 2007
"26 people were killed at Celtic Park with 77 injured. The SLF were brethren of the UIA. That was quickly realised by the security services. What wasn't as grasped as quickly was the deep rooted racism that provided the core of both groups and it was racism. Politics played very little part in the actions of the groups. History has a way of repeatedly pushing blood feuds to the surface and it was going to get bloodier"

Sectarianism rather than racism?

Hmm, good point. I'll go with that but the racism element remains with the UIA attacks on England and the ROI.

"We were ushered into a room. In the middle of the room was a huge table filled with weapons. Around the room were pictures of the De Valera, Collins and Celtic banners. A man wearing a balaclava held a revolver in one hand and a bible in the other.

I put my hand on the bible and swore the following:

'I swear that I will defend our Catholic brotherhood against all those who threaten us with all my might and am prepared to die to do so. So help me God'

A member of the Scottish Republican Army as told to Peter Taylor (Talking to Terrorists. A Personal Journey from the IRA to Al Qaeda) 2011

"They were different. With the IRA you could talk to them even though they hated you. With the UIA and SLF it was impossible"

Brendan Duddy 2008

"We were ushered into a room. In the middle of the room was a huge table filled with weapons. Around the room were pictures of the De Valera, Collins and Celtic banners. A man wearing a balaclava held a revolver in one hand and a bible in the other.

I put my hand on the bible and swore the following:

'I swear that I will defend our Catholic brotherhood against all those who threaten us with all my might and am prepared to die to do so. So help me God'

A member of the Scottish Republican Army as told to Peter Taylor (Talking to Terrorists. A Personal Journey from the IRA to Al Qaeda) 2011
Will Celtic players of those times be part of SRA?

"Despite the carnage that rocked the UK from the UIA and SLF the assembly actually started to work as an effective parliament. Debates were measured. Language was kept mostly under control and laws were actually passed. For the record the first law passed into law was the "Protection Of Birds (Ulster) Act 1975"

Marr 2007

Belfast Telegraph Editorial

"This newspaper makes no attempt to hide its political leanings but we also know that we live in a democracy and a fundamental aspect to that democracy is working together. The facts that this act has been made and passed by Unionist and Nationalists, Protestants and Catholics is so important. It is proof positive that we can work together and is the clearest message possible to those who seek to divide and kill that they will not win"

"As incredible as it sounds the Assembly became not just a political forum it also seemed to act as a physical manifestation for the hopes of the peaceful majority in both the UK and ROI. 'Radio Harmony' became known as 'the station of peace'

Marr 2007

A talk between 2 men in Glasgow

"Is everything set?"
"yes, it is"
"now remember, you don't ask questions until you've answered questions. You don't ask names and you don't make notes, understand?"