Icarus Rising

Brooke seems like my ideal president: principled, idealistic, dedicated to doing the right thing. A proper Paladin (in the D&D sense, not the NSDAP sense) if you will. It will be hard for me to see him turn evil.:(

With that in mind, how bad do you think that Brooke's America will be? I'm going to guess that his baseline will be somewhere between Reagan and Rhodes. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him go Full Brezhnev before the end.

Anyway, I really liked the update. Was the man in Canada Mr. Kissinger? If so, we now have to deal with the possibility of a full blown Bushfeldinger combighost!:eek:

Reading through the last post, once the uplifting tone of the inaugural scene started, I thought, "Well this is too positive for the Icarusverse. Someone's going to take a shot at him."

The final tone was oddly appropriate. I suppose you'd find an attempted Presidential assassination humorous when it's nowhere near the worst thing to happen to the country that month.

Keep up the good work, Anywhere.

U.S David

Banned
Reading through the last post, once the uplifting tone of the inaugural scene started, I thought, "Well this is too positive for the Icarusverse. Someone's going to take a shot at him."

The final tone was oddly appropriate. I suppose you'd find an attempted Presidential assassination humorous when it's nowhere near the worst thing to happen to the country that month.

Isn't that week?

Had that attempt happened a few nights earlier, it wouldn't be the worst thing that night

I still can't belive that in one night, most if the congress leadership died, Vice President went on live tv against the president, 3 governors rebelled against the federal government, the US became a dictatorship breifly with a Marshall law and a news black out, a coup by the Cheif of staff, WW3 almost broke out, riots all over the world, a race war starts, the president dies, a bomb exploded sat the White House, and America gets it's first black president 40 years early.

And not a single nuke dropped. And Jimmy Carter.

Congrats for a great timeline

Last edited:
January 6th? Oh man, in this tl, if my parents still live and get together, my birth day is going to be infamous.

Love your work!

Given the way TTL is unfolding, consider yourself fortunate to be just a faded memory of what, or who, might have been. ;) I, on the other hand, have had my pre-teen life turned inside out and upside down by our congenial host/author. :D

Yes, in this universe, such an attempt on a president's life would be viewed as feeble and lame, if not pathetic and laughable.

Yes, in this universe, such an attempt on a president's life would be viewed as feeble and lame, if not pathetic and laughable.

Next set of headlines:
PRESIDENT BROOKE DESCRIBES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT AS "WEAK", "HALF-HEARTED"; URGES OPPONENTS TO "TRY HARDER"

Next set of headlines:
PRESIDENT BROOKE DESCRIBES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT AS "WEAK", "HALF-HEARTED"; URGES OPPONENTS TO "TRY HARDER"

BROOKE: "I WON'T KEEP MY FOLDED SPEECH IN MY POCKET NEXT TIME, TO BE FAIRER TO ALL"

Takes more than that to kill a bull cod, don't you know...;)

U.S David

Banned
President Brooke: I'm glad it was something easy to deal with, not like a nuke or coup. So I guess a slow day then.

What's going on with Elvis and the Beatles? I can't belive you never talked about them. Or Ben E King

President Brooke: I'm glad it was something easy to deal with, not like a nuke or coup. So I guess a slow day then.

What's going on with Elvis and the Beatles? I can't belive you never talked about them. Or Ben E King

If I remember right, the Beatles are refusing to come back to the states until things normalize and are hanging out in Vancouver, BC.

BROOKE TO SHOOTER: "BULLETS? REALLY? I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR BULLETS. COME BACK WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER, MAYBE THEN I'LL CONSIDER DYING. UNTIL THEN, STOP WASTING MY TIME"
This is too much fun. :D

BROOKE TO SHOOTER: "BULLETS? REALLY? I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR BULLETS. COME BACK WITH A ROCKET LAUNCHER, MAYBE THEN I'LL CONSIDER DYING. UNTIL THEN, STOP WASTING MY TIME"

PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES INTENTION TO WEAR TARGET ON SHIRT FROM NOW ON, DECLARES "BRING IT, BITCHES. LEARN TO AIM WHILE YOU'RE AT IT."

I so, so agree :p

Ok movie casting time. Thinking James Earl Jones for Brooke, working on the others.

Couldn't help but think of this

Poster_of_The_Man_%281972_film%29%29.jpg

Just finished reading through both stories, Anywhere. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Jimmy Carter also saw a UFO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter_UFO_incident

although he does not believe that it was actual aliens.

Yes, but that's not my favorite thing about Jimmy Carter. My favorite thing is that he is a genuinely nice person, I met him once on the street and he signed a book I had with me that I promptly lost. Of course I was 10 or 11 when that happened, but still, Jimmy Carter.

Fantastic as usual. You're one of the only writers on this site to keep me fully interested whilst I'm reading a new update, so please keep it up.

Gratzi.

Still waiting for a sea of blood to drown out all those racists into the Mexican gulf.

Someone should do the math on how much blood it would take to do that. Let's say flood the Mississippi with hemoglobin.

January 6th? Oh man, in this tl, if my parents still live and get together, my birth day is going to be infamous.

Love your work!

You all are far too kind.

Brooke seems like my ideal president: principled, idealistic, dedicated to doing the right thing. A proper Paladin (in the D&D sense, not the NSDAP sense) if you will. It will be hard for me to see him turn evil.:(

With that in mind, how bad do you think that Brooke's America will be? I'm going to guess that his baseline will be somewhere between Reagan and Rhodes. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see him go Full Brezhnev before the end.

Anyway, I really liked the update. Was the man in Canada Mr. Kissinger? If so, we now have to deal with the possibility of a full blown Bushfeldinger combighost!:eek:

Poor Mr. Kissinger, I saw him as a sympathetic character to the end, though Bush was the most tragic.

The resident of the Icarusverse are lucky that this isn't in ASB otherwise there's be some 2spooky4you shenanigans going down right about now.

Very true.

Isn't that week?

Had that attempt happened a few nights earlier, it wouldn't be the worst thing that night

I still can't belive that in one night, most if the congress leadership died, Vice President went on live tv against the president, 3 governors rebelled against the federal government, the US became a dictatorship breifly with a Marshall law and a news black out, a coup by the Cheif of staff, WW3 almost broke out, riots all over the world, a race war starts, the president dies, a bomb exploded sat the White House, and America gets it's first black president 40 years early.

And not a single nuke dropped. And Jimmy Carter.

Congrats for a great timeline

Absolute insanity. And Jimmy Carter.

Given the way TTL is unfolding, consider yourself fortunate to be just a faded memory of what, or who, might have been. ;) I, on the other hand, have had my pre-teen life turned inside out and upside down by our congenial host/author. :D

Speaking of which, has your ITTL self decided to jump off of a building or did you stick with the overpass? :p

Next set of headlines:

If your presidential assassination doesn't involve destroying half the city, then it's really not worth doing.

BROOKE: "I WON'T KEEP MY FOLDED SPEECH IN MY POCKET NEXT TIME, TO BE FAIRER TO ALL"

Takes more than that to kill a bull cod, don't you know...;)

Elvis is still around since he's not particularly controversial, and the Beatles are hanging out in Canada and doing psychedelics by the truckload.

If I remember right, the Beatles are refusing to come back to the states until things normalize and are hanging out in Vancouver, BC.

Yup. No Yoko either, so they're doing pretty okay.

PRESIDENT ANNOUNCES INTENTION TO WEAR TARGET ON SHIRT FROM NOW ON, DECLARES "BRING IT, BITCHES. LEARN TO AIM WHILE YOU'RE AT IT."

I so, so agree :p

Brooke is apparently the most badass President o ever live, he can't even keep track of all the poor suckers who tried to kill him. He sleeps through bomb blasts these days.

Ok movie casting time. Thinking James Earl Jones for Brooke, working on the others.

Good choice.

Couldn't help but think of this

Poster_of_The_Man_%281972_film%29%29.jpg

Just finished reading through both stories, Anywhere. I can't wait to see what happens next!

Well, about that...

Indefinite Hiatus

Very cruel of me to answer all of your posts like that before announcing this, I apologize. But I have just started college and a very busy part of my life has dawned, so I must call this off for a bit before I can resume and finish the story of President Brooke, Sergeant Lee, Majority Leader Inouye and the many many many others. See you on the other side.

Very cruel of me to answer all of your posts like that before announcing this, I apologize. But I have just started college and a very busy part of my life has dawned, so I must call this off for a bit before I can resume and finish the story of President Brooke, Sergeant Lee, Majority Leader Inouye and the many many many others. See you on the other side.

For some reason, I always assumed that you were much older and had long finished college already.

Congrats on college, and on being an awesome writer :)

Curses! You return from a break only to enter full hiatus! What a cruel casualty of higher education! Who will keep me company with competent writing while you're away!?

Well on the bright side, maybe we can spend this time editing the TV tropes page for Icarus Falls which seems horribly sparse and also make a page for Icarus Rising which is completely non-existent.

Also Anywhere, are you going to college hoping to enter a writing career because you're really good at it! I occasionally sit down to try my hand at writing a Cold War timeline but I always get frustrated because my writing is way worse than yours. Do you have any tips to get better?