How Silent Fall the Cherry Blossoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geon

Donor
Daylight savings time during WW2 was called "War Time", not Daylight time in all official documents.

Torqumada

Thanks Torqumada. I did know that but I am putting some things in terms that people will understand reading the TL/Story today. I appreciate you reminding us of that fact though.

Geon

(from a speech given to the Boy Scouts as President in 1983).

Well, we don't have *complete* convergence here, because the only place it would make sense to say "speech given to the Boy Scouts" would be is if it occured at the National Scout Jamboree which iOTL ended up by the 1980s on a 4n+1 schedule (1981, 1985, 1989), but given that that relatively firm schedule didn't start until 1969, I've got *no* problems with that being hit by butterflies. (Especially since it was during his second term which fell between that of the two President Daleys)

Geon

Donor
Well, we don't have *complete* convergence here, because the only place it would make sense to say "speech given to the Boy Scouts" would be is if it occured at the National Scout Jamboree which iOTL ended up by the 1980s on a 4n+1 schedule (1981, 1985, 1989), but given that that relatively firm schedule didn't start until 1969, I've got *no* problems with that being hit by butterflies. (Especially since it was during his second term which fell between that of the two President Daleys)

Naraht

Thanks, I didn't know how often the Jamboree occurred. You will find the date has been changed accordingly.

Geon

This event will change Ronald Reagan deeply.

I wonder if He become a Democrat instead of a Republican and fight for worldwide abolishment of Bioweapon's during cold war.

James G

Gone Fishin'
I don't have a name for the Portugeuse ambassador to Tokyo at this time. If anyone is a Japanese history buff and knows the makeup of embassy row at this time (1944) perhaps they can give both of us that information. I would rather not make up a name for a real life figure and then have to go back and have to correct it later.

Geon

I have tried searching for a good hour - it bugged me not being able to find it - for the name of the ambassador in question... but to no avail.

I have a question: why Portugual? Japan had a 'difficult' relationship with Portugal during World War Two. They occupied Portuguese Timor and put pressure on Portugal concerning Macau. IMHO, Imperial Japan saw Portugal as it saw the Dutch and the French - European colonisers.

Is there a reason for chosing the Portuguese Ambassador that has yet to be revealed.

Geon

Donor
I have tried searching for a good hour - it bugged me not being able to find it - for the name of the ambassador in question... but to no avail.

I have a question: why Portugual? Japan had a 'difficult' relationship with Portugal during World War Two. They occupied Portuguese Timor and put pressure on Portugal concerning Macau. IMHO, Imperial Japan saw Portugal as it saw the Dutch and the French - European colonisers.

Is there a reason for chosing the Portuguese Ambassador that has yet to be revealed.

If the Portuguese ambassador remains unamed so be it. He has fulfilled his purpose in this part of the TL/story in any case. As to why Portugal, I thought of Switzerland and nixed the idea. It sounded too obvious. I wanted a neutral power that remained on relatively decent terms with all the major powers on both sides in World War II. Portugal was my idea of a change of pace. Poor enough reason I know but Switzerland being used was I felt a bit cliche'

Geon

Portugal was the first "wester nation" who made official contact with Japan in 1543.
they gave the Japanese: firearms, fabrics, glassware, clocks, tobacco, and other Western innovations.

during WW2 Portugal remain neutral, so playing the ideal role for a diplomatic messenger

James G

Gone Fishin'
If the Portuguese ambassador remains unamed so be it. He has fulfilled his purpose in this part of the TL/story in any case. As to why Portugal, I thought of Switzerland and nixed the idea. It sounded too obvious. I wanted a neutral power that remained on relatively decent terms with all the major powers on both sides in World War II. Portugal was my idea of a change of pace. Poor enough reason I know but Switzerland being used was I felt a bit cliche'

Geon

I agree that Switzerland would have been a cliche.

Geon

Donor
Los Angeles and Brooklyn

Here is another update, again thanks for all the comments, and thanks for any historic corrections.
-------------------------

Date: November 11, 1944
Time: 1 p.m. [PDT]

At one p.m. army jeeps and trucks rolled into the Los Angeles area from the surrounding army camps. In total 2,000 troops would be deployed to supplement police, fire, and ambulance crews throughout the city. As the troops entered the city the people of Los Angeles watched with mixed feelings.

Up until now most of the people of Los Angeles had welcomed with open arms the soldiers on leave shopping in their stores, watching films in their theaters, eating in their restaurants, and generally being a major boost to the city’s economy. Young ladies had delighted to go on dates and dance with a handsome soldier be they from the army, navy, or marines. Now the army was here not as guests but as occupiers. Many were wondering the same question; what has happened to our city?

Time: 5:00 p.m. [EDT]

At five p.m. an official looking car pulled up outside of the tenement where PFC David Lewis and his family lived. A doctor and two representatives from the city’s health department quickly got out and entered the building going up briskly to the Lewis’ apartment. A quick knock at the door brought one of David’s brothers, Leland* to the door. The doctor asked to be allowed in and moments later was examining David, his father Edgar and Leland who was also starting to show signs of illness.

David had reached the point where he was so ill he could not keep food in anymore and often blacked out. Concerned for his son’s life Edgar had finally called a doctor he had worked for and asked him to come and look at David. The doctor had arrived and after several minutes examining David had excused himself and gone to locate a phone, of which in this tenement there was only one, a pay phone in the lobby. The doctor had telephoned the local health department to tell them of his suspicions and to arrange for David to be transported to a local hospital. The doctor had been told not to do anything until a representative of the health department could evaluate the situation. Reluctantly the doctor had agreed but had prescribed what he could to alleviate the discomfort of David and his father.

Now a doctor from the city Health Department was examining David and was not happy with what he saw. There was no doubt what David or his father had. And now his brother Leland looked like he was in the early stages. The doctor excused himself and went to check on the rest of the people in the tenement, a task which took two hours. When he came back he was wearing a gauze mask and shaking his head to his two assistants. Ten people in the tenement were already infected with the disease and possibly more were going to be. The doctor hated what he had to do next but he had his orders from the city hall and the Health Commissioner.

Private meetings had already been held in city hall as to what would be done if it was found the plague had spread this far. The doctor motioned for his assistants to follow him out of the building. He then put in a call by radio to the police department. Within five minutes three police cars arrived. Within moments the building was being cordoned off and every entrance was being taped shut with a notice.

QUARANTINE!

By order of the Department of Health this building is under official quarantine. No one except licensed physicians may enter or leave. Any unauthorized individuals entering or leaving here will be imprisoned and face a fine of up to $500. Anyone so imprisoned will be placed in prison quarantine. This order will stay in effect until further notice as authorized by the Commissioner for Public Health.

The notices had a copy of the signature of the Commissioners of Public Health and the Mayor of New York City. The notices along with yellow tape barred the entrances to the building. No one would be allowed to enter or leave from now on until the City Health Department determined it was safe. A doctor and nurse would be sent in once per day to check on the inhabitants and if necessary food would be brought in as well, but for all intents and purposes the people in this building were now virtual prisoners of the city of New York.

Garrison

Donor
Great updates. I suspect Reagan's post war film career will be rather higher profile as well; the studio's will want to promote someone who stayed and helped over 'tough guy' actors who fled even if it wasn't their decision.

Well, it's interesting to see the Gipper involved in this. Seems to me that this sort of thing might make him stay a Democrat.

It's possible, though it goes down to his core beliefs in many areas. Remember what he said; to paraphrse "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me." Would this situation be enough.

Geon

Donor
Last Update for the Day

Here is one last short update to let you know where things stand by the end of the day (11/11/44)
------------------------

Time: 7:00 p.m.

The national task force on the Japanese biological attack, now with the official acronym NATJAB met at 7 to discuss the situation nationwide. It was now clear that the situation in Los Angeles was still not under control and that likewise St. Louis and New York City were also potential danger spots. Some good news came from Chicago and Atlanta however. Evidently there were no new cases being reported in either city. Nevertheless careful monitoring by all major city health departments was urged.

At the end of a very busy day the “scoreboard stood as follows.

City-Number of Cases-Deaths:
Los Angeles-1,213-115
St. Louis-15-5
Atlanta-1-0
Chicago-2-1
New York -5-0

The national task force on the Japanese biological attack, now with the official acronym NATJAB
I think that's a bad acronym choice, makes me think of a task force dedicated to making sure everyone gets vaccinated. Not sure that's the sort of message you want to be sending out as it will confuse people.

Garrison

Donor
Here is one last short update to let you know where things stand by the end of the day (11/11/44)
------------------------

Time: 7:00 p.m.

The national task force on the Japanese biological attack, now with the official acronym NATJAB met at 7 to discuss the situation nationwide. It was now clear that the situation in Los Angeles was still not under control and that likewise St. Louis and New York City were also potential danger spots. Some good news came from Chicago and Atlanta however. Evidently there were no new cases being reported in either city. Nevertheless careful monitoring by all major city health departments was urged.

At the end of a very busy day the “scoreboard stood as follows.

City-Number of Cases-Deaths:
Los Angeles-1,213-115
St. Louis-15-5
Atlanta-1-0
Chicago-2-1
New York -5-0

Given the delay in reporting I'm guessing New York is significantly worse than the official figures but maybe Atlanta will turn out to be someone overreacting and misreporting? I wouldn't be surprised now if you start to see reports of 'outbreaks' in places that are clear.

Geon

Donor
I think that's a bad acronym choice, makes me think of a task force dedicated to making sure everyone gets vaccinated. Not sure that's the sort of message you want to be sending out as it will confuse people.

El Pip, the government and military I have learned are obsessed with acronyms. They will find one for anything, and not necessarily good ones. If any one has a better one please feel free to let me know and I will change this one.

Geon

El Pip, the government and military I have learned are obsessed with acronyms. They will find one for anything, and not necessarily good ones. If any one has a better one please feel free to let me know and I will change this one.
I completely agree on the obsession and that they aren't always appropriate (my favourite remains the White House press spokesman talking about Operation Iraqi Liberation) so it probably doesn't need changing. After all a few mistakes just makes it more realistic.

I completely agree on the obsession and that they aren't always appropriate (my favourite remains the White House press spokesman talking about Operation Iraqi Liberation) so it probably doesn't need changing. After all a few mistakes just makes it more realistic.

What acronym?

Geon

Actually, I think it works pretty well, with people shortening it; referring to getting inoculated/treated as 'getting the jab', with people in later years recalling where or when they got 'jabbed'.

Keep it. It works too nicely with American slang to throw away.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.