Hawker Harrier?

Riain

Banned
one of the stupider ideas from a nation that's spent most of the last 70 years finding ways to spend more money on less in virtually every military procurement program we've undertaken.

That was the premise of the old Britwank on a Budget idea I used to have rattling around inn my head.

Imagine if the British decided to continue development of the P.1154. They could have evolved the plenum-chamber V/STOL engine to burn a lot less fuel with modern engine technology, and the P.1154--especially if they could have sold them to other European air forces--would have become a MASSIVE nightmare for Soviet war planners since targeting every major airfield in Europe with 150 KT nuclear bombs wouldn't work because squadrons of this supersonic fighter being dispersed to any piece of flat land.

Airforces came to the conclusion in the 70s that working in HAS on a properly supported base was the best way to generate sorties in wartime and the logistics etc of dispersed operations are vulnerable to all sorts of military action.

Riain

Banned
Do you reckon a Harrier would even get off the deck if you could physically find the space to put the kind of electronics that a Typhoon carries round, never mind the F-35?

The FA2 was stretched to fit the Blue Vixen radar and the Mk106 had 750lbs more thrust than the Mk104.

I think the biggest failure of the British Harrier programme was not adopting the Mk107 with 23,800lbs of thrust as soon as it appeared. The extra power would have allowed extra growth and as a result the British would not have been backed into a development corner where their options were to spend billions on a less effective aircraft or retire them early.

The FA2 was stretched to fit the Blue Vixen radar and the Mk106 had 750lbs more thrust than the Mk104.

I think the biggest failure of the British Harrier programme was not adopting the Mk107 with 23,800lbs of thrust as soon as it appeared. The extra power would have allowed extra growth and as a result the British would not have been backed into a development corner where their options were to spend billions on a less effective aircraft or retire them early.

I agree there was a development path the Harrier (FA2 or GR.9) could have followed but there's no way you're ever getting it close to a Typhoon for capabilities, never mind the F-35. Not without a major redesign that probably would have left each FA3/GR.11 costing at least as much as an F-35 (and probably more considering the limited market for it). Even then it would still be sub-sonic and small.

Theoretically, both the Typhoon and the F-35 can lift a Harrier at standard loaded weight (Harrier GR.7 at loaded weight = 15,700lb. Typhoon's pylons can take near 20,000lb and the F-35 can take 18,000 between hardpoints and the weapons bay). That's the difference in size and power between Harrier and the top of the range modern aircraft.

Making the QE smaller doesn't save all that much money (steel being relatively cheap). Their size means they can generate sorties quicker than smaller carriers and physically carry more aircraft.
If it's not a case that you can cut to 40k tonnes and get 2 carriers then keep the size as is. I believe you are right on this point.

What do you cut to keep Harrier - Tornado or Typhoon? Both infinitely better aircraft carrying much more ordnance and a far wider range of it.

A 40,000t carrier wouldn't have been much cheaper than a 65,000t version but would have been far inferior in airgroup capacity, sortie generation etc.

Do you reckon a Harrier would even get off the deck if you could physically find the space to put the kind of electronics that a Typhoon carries round, never mind the F-35?
The problem with getting rid of the Harrier is that it left Britain without a carrier plane til whenever the f35 becomes available.

Many people consider that to be unacceptable. Personally I understand that the harrier was seen as inferior to either Tornado or Typhoon so the was cut.

Was there an option to put the Harriers into reserve and pull them out when the carriers were in commission. I don't think this was looked at.

That said if you want to go down that road be damn sure you get the f35 as soon as the Queen Elizabeth's enter service. When are the f35s due to be available to Britain at the moment? 2023?

Was there an option to put the Harriers into reserve and pull them out when the carriers were in commission. I don't think this was looked at.

Probably not. I've read that the Harrier fleet was shagged out from the heavy use over Afghanistan and probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway without major investment in overhauls.

That said if you want to go down that road be damn sure you get the f35 as soon as the Queen Elizabeth's enter service. When are the f35s due to be available to Britain at the moment? 2023?

The RAF expects them in service from 2018 - https://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/Lightningii.cfm

Limited enough numbers that the US will be providing at least half the air group on the new carriers till at least 2023.
Is that necessarily a problem, if potential opponents think that they would simply be handed over like AIM9Ls or even worse potentially even be flown by the US crews?
i too would use the word "treason" as some posters used earlier in regards to UK, politicians, and related matters such as this.
Why "Treason", is that not a strong word for simply making a cost v benefit analysis that from the benefit of 2017 looks like it might actually be totally correct? The UK has not needed to fight a carrier war without help since harrier was retired and unless we do before QE/F35 arrives then cutting them saved limited money for no loss?

Why "Treason", is that not a strong word for simply making a cost v benefit analysis that from the benefit of 2017 looks like it might actually be totally correct? The UK has not needed to fight a carrier war without help since harrier was retired and unless we do before QE/F35 arrives then cutting them saved limited money for no loss?
It is also worth noting that there is more than one way to achieve a given military effect. 35 years ago the only way to provide air defence to a task group or put bombs on target out of range of land-based bombers was to hang weapons on a Harrier. Nowadays the RN has the Type 45 with Sea Viper which is vastly more capable than Sea Dart, and the SSNs all have Tomahawk which is vastly more capable of penetrating enemy air defences than Harrier was on it's best day.
Harrier would have been a nice capability to have kept, and F-35 will bring a lot to the table that we don't currently have, but the decision was not made in a vacuum: keeping Harrier or even moving it into reserve would have meant cutting the entire Tornado fleet instead. The RN has alternative ways of achieving the required effect given the very small numbers of Harriers they were actually capable of deploying on a single shagged-out CVS, the RAF would however take a very big cut in capability if the Tornado was cut - requiring a lot of money to be spent on the Typhoon fleet to bring in capabilities that weren't yet planned in.

Actually it isn't. VSTOL carrier aircraft massively cut your training costs because your pilots don't have to practice landings on a regular basis (especially with the F-35, which is apparently very easy (relatively) to land).

You're right that the Russians have CTOL aircraft on smaller carriers than the QEs. Have you ever seen the photos of the MiG-29s and Su-27-s being launched off their carriers? A couple of small air-to-air missiles and probably just about enough fuel to do a few laps of the fleet.

Making the QE smaller doesn't save all that much money (steel being relatively cheap). Their size means they can generate sorties quicker than smaller carriers and physically carry more aircraft.

What do you cut to keep Harrier - Tornado or Typhoon? Both infinitely better aircraft carrying much more ordnance and a far wider range of it.

A 40,000t carrier wouldn't have been much cheaper than a 65,000t version but would have been far inferior in airgroup capacity, sortie generation etc.

Imo VSTOL aircraft not only cost way more to buy and operate, they have also a higher mishap rate due to their peculiarities, so whatever reduction in training cost, if any, is more than offset by the other increases. As to the russian, indian and chinese CVs and their planes, first your description of the respective aircraft capabilities is rather exagerated, secondly how is a VSTOL any better in that respect? If anything, due to the extra weight of the VTOL features, they are even worse. If the VSTOLs are so good, why are not the americans (and indeed the other navies i mentioned) ordering them for all their big CVNs?

As to the Harrier itself, imo there is never the question of replacing any of the others, but providing interim capability at a reasonable price for the country (not that i am in any way a fan of the UK government's adventures as America's sidekick, but just saying) if they were to be replaced by F-35B it should only been so when the thing is actually useable, and again if they wanted VSTOL a smaller ship, with less crew, smaller machinery and so on would have been significantly cheaper, in the past they gave up on big carriers and went with the Invincibles, now suddenly they build these big expensive CVBs (nevermind some of the requirements for them are dubious as well, just like the story of CVA01) but still with VSTOL planes! So they get the most expensive ship with the most expensive and least capable planes.

Is that necessarily a problem, if potential opponents think that they would simply be handed over like AIM9Ls or even worse potentially even be flown by the US crews?
I suppose that is the question.

Let's say there's a conflict that Britain enters into that the USA doesn't agree with. Are you willing to reduce your airgroup in half. I imagine the answer would be that Brtiain doesn't plan to enter into any conflicts without American backing.

That's fair enough but you don't always get to plan what fights you go into.

I suppose that is the question.

Let's say there's a conflict that Britain enters into that the USA doesn't agree with. Are you willing to reduce your airgroup in half. I imagine the answer would be that Brtiain doesn't plan to enter into any conflicts without American backing.

That's fair enough but you don't always get to plan what fights you go into.

The only potential conflict that I could see the UK getting involved in that the US would sit out would be the Falklands, however that's unlikely to ever happen again, certainly not within the time window of working up the QE and the 35B, the state of the Argentinian military makes it a non possibility, other than that where do you feel there's a potential risk. Given that the FA2's had already been withdrawn the capability of the Harriers as anything other than a bomb truck in a permissive environment was limited by the time they were withdrawn anyway.

Imo VSTOL aircraft not only cost way more to buy and operate, they have also a higher mishap rate due to their peculiarities, so whatever reduction in training cost, if any, is more than offset by the other increases. As to the russian, indian and chinese CVs and their planes, first your description of the respective aircraft capabilities is rather exagerated, secondly how is a VSTOL any better in that respect? If anything, due to the extra weight of the VTOL features, they are even worse. If the VSTOLs are so good, why are not the americans (and indeed the other navies i mentioned) ordering them for all their big CVNs?
Compared to other ways of operating fast jets from aircraft carriers, mishap rates from STOVL aircraft are actually lower than from CATOBAR: it's much safer and easier to stop and then land, rather than land and then stop. It's also worth noting that a landing mishap on a CATOBAR carrier will block the deck and prevent other aircraft from landing - that's why the USN carriers all have refuelling tankers on board, and indeed the Russians lost a carrier aircraft off Syria for exactly this reason. With STOVL aircraft, because they're landing on one of multiple spots on the deck then the deck will never be fouled enough to stop an aircraft short of fuel from landing safely.

As to the Harrier itself, imo there is never the question of replacing any of the others, but providing interim capability at a reasonable price for the country (not that i am in any way a fan of the UK government's adventures as America's sidekick, but just saying) if they were to be replaced by F-35B it should only been so when the thing is actually useable, and again if they wanted VSTOL a smaller ship, with less crew, smaller machinery and so on would have been significantly cheaper, in the past they gave up on big carriers and went with the Invincibles, now suddenly they build these big expensive CVBs (nevermind some of the requirements for them are dubious as well, just like the story of CVA01) but still with VSTOL planes! So they get the most expensive ship with the most expensive and least capable planes.
The money wasn't there - what else are you going to cut to save the money to make up for it? The defence budget was squeezed to the extent that they had to lose one aircraft type from the fast jet fleet, essentially either Harrier or Tornado. That means cutting either 81 Tornado or <72 Harrier (can't find the number that were actually in service - it will be fewer than the number of airframes sold to the US: 6 in total were operational). The saving was estimated at £1 Billion - very roughly, making that up would require the closure of two hospitals, or trebling the size of the "bedroom tax". The cost saving here is rather substantial.

Considering the sudden and hush-hush axing of the Harrier, Nimrod etc. to make room for american stuff, a purely political decision, considering all this and what happened in the last decades is only degrading steadily the country defence industry capabilities and abilities to the advantage of a foreign power, what other word to use? Isn't preserving a country's independent self-defence capabilities a primary goal for any nation? This is the country who's aeronautical industry used to build the Spitfire, Mosquito, Hunter, Harrier and so on, that industry soon to be reduced to a footnote. Even a single export (or even upgrade order) for a Harrier FA3 or Nimrod would have worth all the money spent on those programs, and not to mention that a 40,000 ton QE would have had attractive export potential too.

they have also a higher mishap rate due to their peculiarities

I'd imagine that in a carrier aircraft the opposite would be true, given that a vertical landing is much easier to complete on a moving deck than a traditional landing. The US Navy loses aircraft fairly regularly to accidents and the Russians lost two MiG-29Ks on their recent adventures in the Med from memory (and the Russians weren't even operating from their carrier for most of it - they landed the aircraft to an airfield for their combat operations).

so whatever reduction in training cost, if any, is more than offset by the other increases.

I'd argue that the opposite is true and that there is absolutely no way the RN would be getting VSTOL aircraft if they were going to be more expensive long term...

As to the russian, indian and chinese CVs and their planes, first your description of the respective aircraft capabilities is rather exagerated, secondly how is a VSTOL any better in that respect? If anything, due to the extra weight of the VTOL features, they are even worse. If the VSTOLs are so good, why are not the americans (and indeed the other navies i mentioned) ordering them for all their big CVNs?

The F-35B carries slightly less than the -C variant (I believe) but considerably more than any of the aircraft I've ever seen being thrown off the front of Russian boats. Have you ever seen photos of a MiG-29K launching from a carrier that looks even slightly 'heavily loaded'? I don't remember ever seeing one.

As to the Harrier itself, imo there is never the question of replacing any of the others, but providing interim capability at a reasonable price for the country

We had to lose an aircraft type for budget reasons. The Harrier was the very obvious choice to go.

if they wanted VSTOL a smaller ship, with less crew, smaller machinery and so on would have been significantly cheaper, in the past they gave up on big carriers and went with the Invincibles

The Invincibles gave good service and provided a capability we would otherwise have been without but the QE is so far superior to them that they're barely even the same sport never mind the same league...

now suddenly they build these big expensive CVBs (nevermind some of the requirements for them are dubious as well, just like the story of CVA01) but still with VSTOL planes! So they get the most expensive ship with the most expensive and least capable planes.

The cost of a ship doesn't rise at the same rate as the tonnage. A 40,000t ship wouldn't have saved much money but would have been vastly less capable. The RN didn't just pull the size of the ship out of their arses as the first random number they thought of...

Considering the sudden and hush-hush axing of the Harrier, Nimrod etc. to make room for american stuff, a purely political decision, considering all this and what happened in the last decades is only degrading steadily the country defence industry capabilities and abilities to the advantage of a foreign power, what other word to use? Isn't preserving a country's independent self-defence capabilities a primary goal for any nation? This is the country who's aeronautical industry used to build the Spitfire, Mosquito, Hunter, Harrier and so on, that industry soon to be reduced to a footnote. Even a single export (or even upgrade order) for a Harrier FA3 or Nimrod would have worth all the money spent on those programs, and not to mention that a 40,000 ton QE would have had attractive export potential too.

How was it "hush hush" they were both part of a major defence review at a time where frankly the UK didn't have the money to ignore the list of issues that had been building up in the MOD, all services had to make cuts and the bosses of each (if they couldn't put the pain on the other services) took the cuts that they felt were the "least worst". I mean how survivable could a Harrier be against any modern air defence system rather than a bomb truck? Not too mention the state of the airframes themselves given their usage and sustainment. As to Nimrod, as explained the UK tried to upgrade them, what they got was years of nothing to show for it and really shouldn't have picked it themselves.

Frankly given the costs of the hardware, the UK can't afford to build a 5th gen fighter by itself, more over the UK's record in defence projects has been getting increasingly worse due to it's own issues. I'd also question where you get a "40K QE export" from, who exactly do you think wants it? the 20-30K Amphibs are filling many nations needs, or they are building domestically anyway.

The cost of a ship doesn't rise at the same rate as the tonnage. A 40,000t ship wouldn't have saved much money but would have been vastly less capable. The RN didn't just pull the size of the ship out of their arses as the first random number they thought of...
Agreed,

Look at the America Class Assault ship which is essentially a 45,000 tonne carrier. Costs $10 billion for 3, compared to the QE costing $8 billion for two.

I'd rather have two QEs than three America Class.

As to the export market well I don't think there's a huge amount of that. France almost got stuck with a couple of smaller amphibious assault ships after they pulled out of a sale to Russia and ended up seeking them at a discount to Egypt. I honestly don't think there is the demand for export.

Frankly given the costs of the hardware, the UK can't afford to build a 5th gen fighter by itself, more over the UK's record in defence projects has been getting increasingly worse due to it's own issues. I'd also question where you get a "40K QE export" from, who exactly do you think wants it? the 20-30K Amphibs are filling many nations needs, or they are building domestically anyway.

I agree, the UK defence spending was/is mindbogglingly wasteful, i don't know what are they doing with all that money, given the size and equipment of the forces. As to export for the 40k ton QE, apart from the al-Saud "pals" and other GCC fatcats, aren't they cosying to Erdogan as well now? These could have been some possibilities, another could have been Australia for a slightly downscaled design, and so on.

Anyway, sound or not, i've made my arguments, i don't have much else to add here.

I agree, the UK defence spending was/is mindbogglingly wasteful, i don't know what are they doing with all that money, given the size and equipment of the forces. As to export for the 40k ton QE, apart from the al-Saud "pals" and other GCC fatcats, aren't they cosying to Erdogan as well now? These could have been some possibilities, another could have been Australia for a slightly downscaled design, and so on.

Anyway, sound or not, i've made my arguments, i don't have much else to add here.

It's not much different from any other of the Western Nations, the development cycles are getting longer and more complex, and for the relatively small size of the UK forces it's not viable to try and develop everything for themselves, particularly given their issues with getting any export orders. As to your suggestion of the ME countries buying a 40K Carrier, you are aware of the size of their current Navies right? What you are suggesting would be a massive upscaling that's not really required for them. Turkey is building it's own doemstic design I think, while Australia went with a 27K design (so again significantly below you suggested size) and isn't planning on using the 35B off them anyway (think they'd need a refit to restore that capability). Moreover again look at the "success" the UK has had in the 26 export market, first they were floating Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and others, now maybe the Australian's will buy it as a paper ship and hope there's no issues with it, while the UK goes off on the 31 project to make up numbers.

I keep seeing 'Least capable' and 'F35B' being used in the same sentence - please keep in mind that the USMC is already deploying them and they fly twice as fast, can travel twice as far, and carry twice the weapons of the AV8B - and these are early low rate production aircraft when the testing program has not yet finished.

Also I keep seeing how expensive these aircraft are going to be over their lifetime etc - well it's expensive! And how expensive relative to other aircraft types? We'll never know as no such analysis has ever been undertaken before!

As for Carriers - as it has been said the difference in going from 40,000 Tons to 70,000 Tons is mainly steel as both sizes of ships would have had to have the same sensors - weapons - roughly the same machinary - and probably the same sized crew - minus airgroup as the 40KT vessel would be carrying a much smaller airgroup hence a smaller number of people required

But for twice the hull you can operate significantly more than twice the Aircraft and more frequently along with a much larger deck

I for one am glad that Britain decided on building proper sized CVs over repeat 'Pocket' CVs