Great War: East First

Yes, the Liberals weren't completely in favour of the war, and the machinery of government wasn't that efficient. However, the Conservatives were. I'd say they'd enter the war at the latest immediately after German commerce raiding began.

At the first clear cause the UK will join the war, see below please.

The Germans at this stage will provide one if they start making any use of their sea power.

Think it through. It will take time, time for the Germans to be sure that the UK is not going to join the war, time to then think of what they are going to do. More time for them to carry out a policy of cruiser warfare and more time for the French to notice the size and scale the effort. Then the French have to figure out what to do in response, national prestiage will require them to attempt to deal with HSF by themselves first.

Why are the British selling them the nitrates - I believe that they dominated the consortia that controlled the mines? The French will also be engaged in commerce raiding, and it's far easier to perform a distant blockade of Germany than France.

The British firms are selling them nitrates the same reason that they sold them steel, copper, oil and food goods well into 1915. Money talks, it took time for the British government to get organized (I would expect far less urgency untill war is declared) and large scale use of middlemen and third parties especially through netural nations. Of which the British are a neutral nation till they declare war and must becareful how they handle things.

I agree that the French will aso engage in Cruiser Warfare but they won't dare attempt a distant blockade like the RN did. First they lack the warships, even with large scale use of AMC's, Recall the MN is expecting to have to cover just the Med. The French are going to find themselves having to worry about the Hapsburg Fleet, HSF and worry that Italy will join in too. The French resources are going to heavily stretched even with the UK honoring its pre-war agreement to keep the Germans out of the Channel. Geography for the French is better than for the Germans but its not as good as the UK with respect to attempting a distant blockade. Also the French wouldn't want to risk ticking off neutals like the UK did, they just aren't as strong.

This is pretty much impossible, I think. The way German strategic thinking (and Entente, to be fair) went, the only war they could contemplate winning was one where they had a rapid victory. Paired with the massive under-estimation of how much material fighting industrial war required, if they correctly estimated how much they'd need to stokcpile they wouldn't be going to war in the first place.

As pointed out its the POD for the time line. The Germans have come to the conclusion that they can't defeat the French in a 90 day campaign. They have accepted that they are in for the long war and are going to plan for just that. I have read several books on German strategic thought and they had considered just such a course but the Prussian-German preference is to attempt a "short and lively" war to achieve a quick decision. At the same time the Germans were willing to think about long wars it just wasn't what they would want.

Moltke the Younger was very worried from the get go that the math for a long war was bad and math for the short war was also bad. He went with what he thought gave Germany the best chance for victory. If he accepts that a short war isn't possible then he is going to go for the long war as there is no other choice.

IOTL, the Germans moved Heaven and Earth to get the Haber process going as soon as they did (see the book I linked above),

I will read the link on the book

I'm confident that the French shipping companies will do it pretty damn quick, whatever the law says. Prosecution is better than death.

They will do it when it becomes clear that its needed within the limits of the system. Recall many things are attached to flagging such as insurence, ships crewing, etc. Its not something they can do over night.

Michael

The issue is the whole point of the Schliffen Plan is that the Germans don't believe they can sustain and then win a long war on two fronts - that's why they had to knock the French out quickly, as they recognise that the logistical limitations they'll operate under trying to advance into the Russian hinterland mean it will take a long time to beat them.

If they recognise that this is a real risk, why are they going to war in the first place?

The same reasons as historic.

1) They can't let their lone close great power ally get shoved around by a two bit power like Serbia.
2) If they wait till 1917 the odds are going to look much much worse.

Many expected a great power war sooner or later to occur. So its not something they can just avoid. This was a time when phrases like "National Honor" could bring huge crowds into the street. Nations could and would send men out to die by the millions for in effect, "honor of the flag".

If we assume that my POD and other changes don't butterfly away the murder of the Archduke then I don't see much reason why the Germans and Austrians woud react very differently at all in the July crises.

Michael

Michael,

Regarding Britain's entry into the war, I'd like to remind you that Grey's famous speech to Parliament which "convinced" Britain to enter the OTL mentioned the prospect of a "German fleet in the Channel" as much as it did the violation of Belgian neutrality.

Bill

Michael,

Regarding Britain's entry into the war, I'd like to remind you that Grey's famous speech to Parliament which "convinced" Britain to enter the OTL mentioned the prospect of a "German fleet in the Channel" as much as it did the violation of Belgian neutrality.

Bill

Recall the context of the speach. It would be a German fleet BASED in Channel ports captured from France and Belgium. Which isn't an issue of the Germans are on the defense in the West and attacking east. As noted in my reply up thread the Britsh will honor their pre-war agreement to keep the Germans out of the channel.

Also the Germans will not attempt to send their battle fleet into the Channel once they receive a message telling them that the RN will not allow belligerents into the Channel. They will grumble and bitch but they will do things the hard way and go the long way with cruisers.

Michael

Mike,

By adding to the number of Britain's concerns, I was attempting to bolster your arguments that Britain will enter your time line's war sooner than later.

Bill

Ah thank you,

OK, still its useful to spell things out for the dense people of the world such as myself. ;)

Any other comments?

Michael

IMHO Britain getting involved in any Eastern First scenario is probable but not certain (which is one reason CP victory is not the easy layup it is sometimes presented to be). If Germany gets in trouble early on the probability goes down somewhat.

Alratan I have read the book link you provided pages 91 - 110, I will read the rest of the chapter later tonight

On first glance I don't see how it supports your contention that without Belgium's nitrate reserves the Germans war effort would collapse. The Germans had small scale production online as soon as Febuary of 1915 and were very ramped up by August 1915. Keep in mind that the Germans, along with everyone elses, need for explosives and munitions grew over time. Whatever amount was siezed in Belgium would be small compared to eventual demand. Army Industry and Labor in Germany, 1914-1918 by Gerald D. Feldman covers the Germans attempts to meet war production in some detail and is my prime source for information on the subject.

Whatever the Germans felt was the need pre-war would be off by a huge amount and then would double every year afterwards.

It seams clear from the work that there were multiple solutions to the problem and Fischer / Haber with BASF worked hard to stomp out other solutions to the nitrate problem.

Did you notice the note at the end of the 1912 section of my time line about Germans attempts for industrial organization? In effect KRA has been created pre-war and will start operating the moment war is declared.

I do thank you for the work as it makes very clear that cost will prevent such factories being setup in peace time. They are only worth while only under war conditions. I had the Germans attempting to do this in 1913, I will need to rewrite the section. Instead the Germans will be well aware of their weakness and be ready to place orders for nitrate factories as soon as war is declared.

Regards
Michael

Eurofed

Banned
Interesting TL. I chime in to remark that in the case of the German government and military realizing that an East First strategy is necessary, they would also realize that securing Italy's loyalty to the Triple Alliance becomes paramount, for obvious strategic reasons. This entails Germany strongarming Austria to give guarantees to Italy of significant territorial concessions in case of a general European conflict (which according to the Triple Alliance treaty, Italy was entitled to get anyway, as a result of Austrian annexation of Bosnia), as well Germany and Austria giving support to Italian claims on French territories and colonies. This ought most likely to happen as soon as the aftermath of Bosnian crisis, and at the very latest when Germany contemplates a declaration of war in 1914.

Although I think it unrealistic that Austria could be forced to give up Trieste, German pressure could easily force Vienna to give guarantees on Trento and Gorizia-Gradisca, and if Germany and Austria do this and acknowledge Italian claims on Nice, Savoy, Corsica, Tunisia, Djibouti, Italy may be easily convinced to join the CPs as soon as WWI starts.

Here Eurofed thanks for reading.

Problem with Italy has many levels and layers to it.

Biggest are as follows to my thinking.

Italy was greatly afraid of what a war involving the RN would mean for Italian coastal trade. Italy figured that a war with the UK would mean economic collapse in short order.

Italy gave only luke warm support in diplomatic terms in the most recent set of crisis. Vienna gave firm support for what it was worth. While few in Austria-Hungary could match Conrad for his dislike of Italy he wasn't alone and Vienna wasn't interested in giving any thing to Italy.

Italy would demand territory up front and Vienna wouldn't want to give it. If you look at the diplomatic run up 1914-15 before Italy declared war Vienna refused to give territory.

Now IF the UK could be kept neutral then a combined Austrian-Italian fleet would have a good chance of defeating the French Fleet.

If Germany is going for a defensive stance vs. France then I am not sure that Italy is all that critcal.

Michael

Eurofed

Banned
Italy was greatly afraid of what a war involving the RN would mean for Italian coastal trade. Italy figured that a war with the UK would mean economic collapse in short order.

True. However with an East First strategy, Italy and the rest of the CPs may easily have a realistic (and quite possibly accurate) expectation that Britain shall stay neutral. Therefore, Italy would eagerly committ to a war against France and Russia.

As it concerns the expectations that UK blockade would cripple Italian economy in short order, they are greately exaggerated. It took four years fro Germany and Austria, and Italy would fare no really worse. Italy is rather more self-sufficient as foodstuff goes than Germany or Austria, Germany can supply it with coal, and everything really vital in Italian economy is concentrated north of Rome, where the railway network is rather good and can keep the economy afloat. There would be some hardship, sure, but nothing really wrose than the rest of the CPs.

Italy gave only luke warm support in diplomatic terms in the most recent set of crisis. Vienna gave firm support for what it was worth. While few in Austria-Hungary could match Conrad for his dislike of Italy he wasn't alone and Vienna wasn't interested in giving any thing to Italy.

True, but Italy is rather more precious to Germany for winning WWI than Austria ever was. Austria has pretty much nowhere else to go, after Russia committed to Pan-Slavism and the alliance with France. And the lukewarmness precisely came because Italy perceived Germany giving more unreasonable support to the useless Habsburg than to their sensible requests.

Conrad was a megalomanic ass, but he was not the whole or even most of the story, as the Austrian ruling elite went. If Germany stomps its feet, he will be overruled. Having said that, I would kill off him with a butterfly, if I meant to do an East First TL.

Italy would demand territory up front and Vienna wouldn't want to give it. If you look at the diplomatic run up 1914-15 before Italy declared war Vienna refused to give territory.

If Germany really pushes its weight, Vienna shall be forced to give way. Even in OTL it eventually agreed to cede Trento, but it came too little too late, disgusted Italy had already begun treating with the Entente. If however Germany timely pushes for a cession of Trento and Gorizia-Gradisca (like Trento, a land that was nowhere vital to Austria) and is generous with promises of French claims, before or soon after the start of the war, Italy would remain committed to the old alliance.

Now IF the UK could be kept neutral then a combined Austrian-Italian fleet would have a good chance of defeating the French Fleet.

True.

If Germany is going for a defensive stance vs. France then I am not sure that Italy is all that critcal.

It is not indispensable but it is really, really useful and by itself all but ensures CP victory. It supports the back of Germany in the South, forces France to overstretch its manpower terribly, allows Austria to throw its whole weight against Russia from the start, and it ensures that Serbia is swiftly and completely killed, giving the CPs total control of the Balkans.

I should edit this more but I want to get it posted. I will reread it tommorrow evening. Special thanks to Alratan for the link for the German effort with the Haber proccess and other chemical efforts in WW1.

My source for numbers on imports is "Economic Aspects of the War 1914-1915 by Edwin J. Clapp, printed 1915" and "The Naval Blockade Louis Guichard, printed 1930"

“The causes which might lead to a general war have not been removed and often remind us of their presence. There has not been the slightest abatement of naval and military preparation. On the contrary, we are witenessing this year increase of expenditure by continental powers on armaments beyond all previous expenditure. The world is arming as it was never armed before. Every suggestion for arrest or limitation has so far been ineffectual.” -- Chuchill to House of Commons on the Naval Estimates, March 17, 1914

January HMS Valiant laid down

Liman von Sanders is sent to Ottoman Empire to oversee to the reorganization of its army. The General is given completely control. Russia protests the move to Germany but is ignored.

Febuary HMS Barham laid down

Admiral von Tirpitz in a speech before the Reichstage Budget Committee states that hence forth Germany will build towards a goal of 60% of the Royal Navy in terms of Battleships. With Germany to build three Battleships a year through 1917 it is expected that the United Kingdom will counter with five battleships, establishing a ratio of 3 to 5 between Germany and the United Kingdom in terms of new construction. Tirpitz says that he does not see any reason for Germany to increase its current building program. The anoucement is hailed in the United Kindgom as going a long ways towards reducing tension between Germany and the UK. As up untill this annoucment the German Government had maintained that their Navy was built soley for the needs of Germany, without reguard to any other power in particular.

March – Winston Churchill suggests a world wide halt to the construction of capital ships, while the announcement is applauded in some quarters in most it is might with polite disinterest.

In Canada Robert Borden, Prime Minister of Canada, is trying to pass a bill where Canada will donate over seven million pounds to the UK for the purchase of two battleships to serve in the Royal Navy; perhaps as part of an ‘imperial squadron.’ Wilfrid Laurier’s Liberials are very much against the idea of the ships; some Liberials want to disband the navy all together. While a majority in the lower house of parliament pass the bill for the funds restrictions are placed on the donation. This restriction is that Canada will have a say in Imperial Defense. So many are in favor of helping the mother country but wish to do so on Canada’s terms. Besides having a say in Imperial Defense many would like the battleships built in Canada itself and for the ships to meet Canada’s needs in particular in Pacific.

The debate on the funds is not helped when Winston Churchill in effect blasts several of the ideas in particular the one for building the ships in Canada. The First Lord suggested that it would cost more than double the price of the battleships to setup a plant to build them. While there is more than a minor element of truth to the statement it was still very poorly received in Canada. In particular many point out that no yard in the UK builds all the elements of a warship and many parts are purchased from other sources. Also Churchill’s idea of the Imperial Squadron is looked on with out right derision as having it stationed at Gibraltar only assures that it will be too far away to be of immediate help to any place of use, in particular the Pacific for Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

Robert Borden shelves the idea for the moment not willing to break his government on this one idea and will return to the idea later. Australia which was asked to consider paying for another large warship informs London that they will wait for a final resolution from Canada before they make any commitment.

April – SMS Hohenzollern and SMS Franken laid down (Anhalt class with ten 350mm guns in five turrets).

The 1912 Army has expanded the German Peace time army by nearly 200,000 men and added 3 Corps to the order of battle. This expansion is proving difficult but not impossible for the Germans to deal with. The largest difficulty is finding enough officers of the correct social background as despite Goltz and Moltke requests the Kaiser is refusing to relaxe restrictins on officers social backgrounds, IE nobility.

In France the German expansion has not gone unnoticed and the Army has pressed hard for a return to three years of service for conscripts. The election of Poincaré to the Presidency has cleared the way and is made law. A twenty second corp will be added to the army and a large increase in the peace time army will occur allowing for greatly increased readiness on the part of the Army. The cost for the expansion puts an end to any hope in the short term for updating the siege artillery park of the army. Some progress for heavy artillery is made as Col of Artillery Émile Rimailho working with Schneider et Cie has finished his work on a new 155mm weapon, the Canon de 155 modèle 1913 Schneider. The new howitzer is based heavily on the 105mm Model 1911 / L 11 S and will enter low level production at once.

Plan XVII is unveiled to the Conseil supérieur de la Guerre and becomes the official war plan for France; a general offensie into Germany across the Common Border. From conversations with Britian make it clear that the diplomatic costs of an invasion of Belgium are too high.

May – Chuchill and Borden have exchanged a number of letters on the issue of funds for a pair of battleships. Despite an unofficial agreement with Germany on Dreadnought numbers a large number will need to be built as Germany has refused all attempts to get them to agree to reduce the size of their program. So the Royal Navy will be building five battleships a year through 1917 which will require another three this year and another twenty down the road. Such a massive building program was very unpopular with the Liberal Government. As London was unwilling to discuss imperial defense that left the issue of construction and location. It would be years for a yard to be setup to build one let alone two ship the size of a dreadnought battleship so a compromise was worked out.

The long talked about yard to produce small cruisers and other warships would be used and a large dry dock will be built in Halifax naval yard able to repair a battleship. Candian Vikers which was established in Montreal after being invited in 1911 would be upgraded, a large floating dry dock arrived in November of 1912, and would start work on a town class light cruiser. The battleships would be ordered in 1914 from UK yards and would serve as part of the Royal Canadian Navy; names to be HMCS Quebec and HMCS Ontario. The entire project is estimated to cost ten million pounds and would be put to referendum. The cruisers would in peace time serve in the Pacific and Battleships the Atlantic. War time the RCN would default to the Command of the Royal Navy.

June SMS Ersatz Herta (replacement for the armored cruiser SMS Herta)
July – The Committee on War Time Supplies meets and receives the latest report from Walther Rathenau the head of the Raw Materials Section. Last years report noted in most cases a four month supply of resources. The Section also spent some time looking into local production of resources and sources to better analyze Germany’s vulnerability with respect to raw materials. In most recent years Copper for example required 225,000 long tons annually with 100,000 tons being re-exported as finished products leaving 125,000 long tons of internal consumption. The electrical market was the single largest domestic consumer. German production amounted to 50,000 tons. Leaving an annual short fall projected at atleast 75,000 tons. Manganese needs for Germany amounted to over 650,000 tons annually with no local production. This was most serious as Manganese was needed for the production of steel, at the same time German steel industry had a large supply of it and was working to increase its supplies further. It is expected that a year plus supply would soon be available. Demand for Nickel, Chormium, Aluminium and Tin were not very high compared to the first metals but at the same time there was either no current production of the metals or very little. Of the two only Chromium and Aluminum were available in outside sources friendly to Germany, bauxite from the Hapsburg Monarchy and Chromium from the Ottoman Empire. Imports of Petrolium amounted to 750,000 tons, mostly from the United States.

One of the most critical raw material supply issues was of course Saltpeter, other Nitrates and Phosphates. Saltpeter was used for munitions production and Germany, along with most of the worlds supply came from Chili. Nitrates such as nitric acid were also used in explosive manufacture and agriculture along with Phospahtes. 800,000 tons of saltpeter where importated from Chili annually, along with 400,000 tons of phosphoric acid from the United States along with another 600,000 tons of phosphoric acid from North Africa. Of these items Germany has some local production from its coal coking plants for fertilizer but Germany would be totally cut off from nitrates suitable for high grade explosives.

German Chemist Fritz Haber had demonstrated in 1909 a process to produce ammonia, a compound of Hydrogen and Nitrogen that could be turned into various nitrate compounds such as Nitric Acid, from Nitrogen and Hydrogen gas. This procces was attempting to be scaled up to industrial production by BASF, Badische Anilin- und Soda-Fabrik, in a factory in Oppau. Rathenau had consulted with chemists Emil Fischer and Fritz Haber on the issue. Another process that used electricity could produce a weak form of nitric acid and was being used at a plant in Norway but it was very costly in terms of electrical power. It was estimated that it would cost 50 million marks to build single plant in Germany which wouldn’t meet all of Germany’s needs. The cost was staggering; a Bayern Class battleship was projected to cost the same. Industry was unwilling to build such a plant on mere speculation, especially with cheap imports of Chilian Saltpeter available. There were signs that a much cheaper solution based on the Haber process would be able to produce large mounts, if the problems could be worked out. With the Reichstag unlikely to fund a large electrical process the Chemical industry would continue to work on the Haber process. In the mean time a small supply of saltpeter would be built up, enough to meet a 6 month supply for the muntions factories. (Once war breaks out this will turn out to be more like a two or even one month supply)

For other raw materials industry will continue its planning and tracking efforts and looking into replacement materials.

August France agree’s to provide large scale loans to Russia to meet the military needs for railway construction as defined by the French and Russian General Staffs. The annual meeting of Conseil supérieur de la Guerre and STAVKA confirms the plan for a joint invasion of Germany. Russia will put its primary offensive strength vs. Germany for an invasion of the east while France attacks from the west.

September October – HMS Malaya laid down, paid for by Malaya confederation for the Royal Navy

October – Referendum narrowly passes in Canada. Canadian Manufactures pour large amounts of money into supporting the referendum. With the passing of the bill in Canada Australia agrees to fund a battleship, HMAS Dominion.

November – HMS Ramillies and HMS Resolution laid down

King Albert of Belgium invited to Berlin the Kaiser and several generals tell Albert that war with France is very likely. Kaiser assures the King that Germany will stand by Belgium in the event of a French invasion.

Zabern Affair erupts in the town of Zabern in Alsace Lorraine. Lieutenant Günter Freiherr von Forstner spoke disparagingly about the inhabitants of Zabern on October 28 during a troop induction. He said to his soldiers, "If you are attacked, then make use of your weapon; if you stab such a Wackes in the process, then you'll get ten marks from me." (Note: Wackes is a derogatory term for a native Alsatian.) When this leaked to the press in November protests broke out. Lieutenant Forstner is lightly disciplined, which does nothing to appease the protesters, and the Regimental commander demands that the civilian authorities restrain the protesters. The army is told that there is nothing to do as protesters aren’t in violation of any laws. Franz Ferdinand also protests the army’s actions and bluntly tells them to stay out of civilian matters within the Grand Duchy.

On November 28th the situation degenerates further when a large crowd outside the garrison barracks assembles to protest. The head of the sentries, Lieutenant Schadt, is ordered by the regiment’s commanders to disperse the crowd. The result is Lt. Schadt arrests many people from the crowd and a number of members of the Zabern Court that were trapped when they tried to exit the court house. The prisnors were held in a coal bunker over night and more troops were used to put the town under martial law with machine guns and armed troops on the streets.

The result of the latest incident was to enrage the population of Elsaß-Lothringen, many within the rest of the Empire and in particular Franz Ferdinand. The Duke demands the release of everyone held and the arrest of Lt. Schadt and his commander Colonel Adolf von Reuter. The Kaiser Wilhelm and the armies view point is that nothing wrong was done. Matters degenerate when on December 2nd Lt. Forstner is mocked by a crowd and he attacks the first to laught at him with his saber badly injuring the person.

Franz Ferdinand had been back in Elsaß-Lothringen for some time now and is extremely angry at the latest incident. Before the Ducal Diet Franz Ferdinand declares that Elsaß-Lothringen is not some occupied territory subject to military tyranny. The Diet cheers the Duke and votes to support any action he will take to in response to the incidents. The Reichstage gives a vote of no confidence in the Chancellor and demands he step down over his handling of the matter. To which Bethmann Hollweg replies that per the constitutionhe only needs the Emperors support.

A few days later the Emperor Wilhelm and Duke Franz Ferdinand have a long private meeting over the issue. The result of this meeting is that the long held up plans for military organization of Elsaß-Lothringen will move forward. While many of the regiments stationed in Elsaß-Lothringen have troops raised localy such as the Lothringisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.130 the officer corps comes from the rest of Germany. This was especially true for the Oberrheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.99 stationed in Zabern where many of the officers where Prussian; inparticular Forstner and Schadt. While the various regiments and their administration will continue as before through the Prussian War Ministry in Berlin Franz Ferdinand as Grand Duke will now receive all the reports and have the right to make suggestions for officer appointments to the regiment’s garrisoined in Elsaß-Lothringen. In the mean time some transfers will be made to bring in more south German Officers. The 99th Regiment is to be moved out Zabern as soon as possible and a new Regiment, the 183rd, will be formed to take its place.

The Reichstag passed a law that made it illegal for troops to intervien without prior civilian approval. Eventual a courts martial held in January 1914 aquited the officers involved in the incident. This was met by derision in Elsaß-Lothringen but no additional protest as the regiment was by then leaving the duchy. Also the first of Franz Ferdinand’s officer appoints had made to local regiments, most of the newly made Fähnrich (Officer Cadet’s) were of middle class background. So while the resolution of the incident was’t perfect in the eye’s of Elsaß-Lothringen civilians it gave them some sense of empowerment and helped forge a connection between them and their Grand Duke.

December – SMS Bayern and HMS Reveng Laid down