Get Animated!: The History of Animax in the United States

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
  1. Come 2006, the slogan will change to “Tune In, Max Out”. Honestly, the “Get Animated” slogan came super early on and was actually AI generated.
  2. Baby Huey isn’t a UPA character. He isn’t even the biggest star of his actual studio (Harvey Comics), that’s Casper. And who are “Tom and Cat”? Don’t you mean Tom and Jerry?
  3. And Totally Tooned In is an anthology of other cartoons as well, like Woody Woodpecker, Casper, Garfield…
  4. I made up the Beakman‘s World spin-off, but not Spider-Man (the CGI one with Neil Patrick Harris) or Naruto. Honestly I could have picked the VAs for a Sony dub, but I’m not too into anime.
  5. How PuppeTV is going to end up in the future, I haven’t decided. (Likely still going to be a smaller, niche network like Nicktoons or Boomerang) Also, you sound like the type of guy that would whine about CN when it launched because it was made up primarily of Hanna Barbera stuff, Big Bag is “barely a cartoon”, and how stuff like Space Ghost “doesn’t fit the vibe”
  6. I am planning on adding the Modifyers in, say, 2007 or so.
  7. You DID come off as a dick here.
Don't do this

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Some (hopefully) constructive criticism and some missed opportunities.
1. I'm sorry but the slogan "Get Animated!" sounds lame. Especially with the constant repeating of it. Some shit like "To the Max!" would work better
2. To be honest UPA has a very weak library of characters. Compared to Looney Tunes,Tom & Cat, and Mickey Mouse; Baby Huey ain't even in the race
3. Why is the clip show in primetime ? That's basically ratings suicide and similar clipshows like Toonheads would air around 10 PM or the early morning
4. Which shows get focus and don't is often times bizarre. We get a rundown of the cast of a Beakman's world spin off but we don't know who's voicing Spider-Man or Naruto.
5. This is going to sound harsh but PuppeTV has quite a few problems
  • Very few people would watch this
  • Honestly just put the muppets and Gerry Anderson stuff on Animax
  • The Gerry Anderson shows are gonna get hurt by Team America assuming that hasn't been butterflied away
  • MST3K is barely a puppet show and has a ton of rights issues attached
  • ALF and Farscape really really don't fit the vibe of the channel
  • less of a problem and more of a missed opportunities but around this time there's significantly talk to bring about a Spitting Image reboot which would have been a good fit
6. Another missed opportunity is the lack of stuff like Kitty Bobo, The Modifyers, and another failed iotl pilots
I really hope I didn't come off as a dick here and hope you have a good day
This really didn't come off like you may have intended. Criticism certainly. Constructive? Not so much.

Allow me to share my own unbiased perspective on this.
  • The "Get Animated!" slogan would likely be seen as the modern-day equivalent to "We're Talking Toon Here", in which there is a better catchphrase to represent the channel a few years after launch. That example is NOT the aforementioned "better catchphrase", just to point out for clarity.
  • As for the use of AI for writing, he at least attempts to clean it up before posting the announcements. Unlike most people who use it, who just let it write itself as is without context.
  • Truthfully, if I was the guy making this, I also would just have the Muppets on Animax and call it a day. Maybe add ALF because he had his own cartoon show in his heyday, but that's about it.
  • I will defend the new and MUCH improved Totally Tooned In! getting a primetime slot. Yes, it still has UPA shorts like the Mr. Magoo library, but it also has the Woody Woodpecker name attached. Plus, for my money, some of the shorts that fell under public domain are really good in spite of that, especially the Fleischer Popeye shorts.
  • The Beakman's World revival/spin-off getting more coverage than the 2003 Spider-Man series or Naruto is because that show doesn't exist in our timeline. You already know who Spidey and Naruto are, even if this particular version of the web-slinger is rather obscure by comparison. By contrast, Beakman is still an unknown character, and his first TV show isn't as fondly recalled as Bill Nye or the LeVar Burton seasons of Reading Rainbow are. As such, it needs the explanation more than they do.
  • Like I said about the initial jingle for Animax, the dropped pilots from our timeline getting picked up for that channel here would happen sooner or later. You just need to be patient about the situation.
I hope this helps.
  • I actually went back and forth on the idea of including puppets on Animax or not, even thinking of making a both ITTL and REAL poll, before deciding to just make a network. Also, animated versions of puppet characters (like Gerry Anderson’s New Captain Scarlet) will air on both, but with a huge skew toward regular Animax.
  • Even BUGS BUNNY had a few public domain shorts.
  • I thought Beakman’s World was pretty popular. Still, the show was made up FOR the TL, and Jax is pretty much an unknown to non-Beakophiles.

Some (hopefully) constructive criticism and some missed opportunities.
1. I'm sorry but the slogan "Get Animated!" sounds lame. Especially with the constant repeating of it. Some shit like "To the Max!" would work better
Well, "Get Animated" actually works for now.
2. To be honest UPA has a very weak library of characters. Compared to Looney Tunes,Tom & Cat, and Mickey Mouse; Baby Huey ain't even in the race
3. Why is the clip show in primetime ? That's basically ratings suicide and similar clipshows like Toonheads would air around 10 PM or the early morning
4. Which shows get focus and don't is often times bizarre. We get a rundown of the cast of a Beakman's world spin off but we don't know who's voicing Spider-Man or Naruto.
Ouch. I'd assume the voicing would be the same?
5. This is going to sound harsh but PuppeTV has quite a few problems
  • Very few people would watch this
  • Honestly just put the muppets and Gerry Anderson stuff on Animax
  • The Gerry Anderson shows are gonna get hurt by Team America assuming that hasn't been butterflied away
  • MST3K is barely a puppet show and has a ton of rights issues attached
  • ALF and Farscape really really don't fit the vibe of the channel
  • less of a problem and more of a missed opportunities but around this time there's significantly talk to bring about a Spitting Image reboot which would have been a good fit

Well, cable was initially meant to bring about more niche networks until demons in suits started messing up everything
6. Another missed opportunity is the lack of stuff like Kitty Bobo, The Modifyers, and another failed iotl pilots
Well, Phineas and Ferb does air early ITTL on Animax.
I really hope I didn't come off as a dick here and hope you have a good day
NGL, you sounded kinda mean.

Oh, and BTW, my name is @Otakuninja2006, nice to meet you. I noticed you were new here.
Tom and Cat? Never heard of them. Are you talking about Tom and Jerry?

The UPA Library of cartoon might not be that strong, but Animax has other famous cartoons like Woody Woodpecker, Chilly Willy, Casper, Rocky and Bullwinkle and Garfield.
Right, and Animax has a lot of other cool stuff like The Boondocks, Fullmetal Alchemist, Sgt. Frog, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon, Spider-Man and Naruto.
  1. Come 2006, the slogan will change to “Tune In, Max Out”. Honestly, the “Get Animated” slogan came super early on and was actually AI generated.
  2. Baby Huey isn’t a UPA character. He isn’t even the biggest star of his actual studio (Harvey Comics), that’s Casper. And who are “Tom and Cat”? Don’t you mean Tom and Jerry?
  3. And Totally Tooned In is an anthology of other cartoons as well, like Woody Woodpecker, Casper, Garfield…
  4. I made up the Beakman‘s World spin-off, but not Spider-Man (the CGI one with Neil Patrick Harris) or Naruto. Honestly I could have picked the VAs for a Sony dub, but I’m not too into anime.
  5. How PuppeTV is going to end up in the future, I haven’t decided. (Likely still going to be a smaller, niche network like Nicktoons or Boomerang) Also, you sound like the type of guy that would whine about CN when it launched because it was made up primarily of Hanna Barbera stuff, Big Bag is “barely a cartoon”, and how stuff like Space Ghost “doesn’t fit the vibe”
  6. I am planning on adding the Modifyers in, say, 2007 or so.
  7. You DID come off as a dick here.
Ok. Oh, and that's awesome to hear that The Modifyers will get picked up ITTL!
Allow me to share my own unbiased perspective on this.
  • The "Get Animated!" slogan would likely be seen as the modern-day equivalent to "We're Talking Toon Here", in which there is a better catchphrase to represent the channel a few years after launch. That example is NOT the aforementioned "better catchphrase", just to point out for clarity.
  • As for the use of AI for writing, he at least attempts to clean it up before posting the announcements. Unlike most people who use it, who just let it write itself as is without context.
  • Truthfully, if I was the guy making this, I also would just have the Muppets on Animax and call it a day. Maybe add ALF because he had his own cartoon show in his heyday, but that's about it.
  • I will defend the new and MUCH improved Totally Tooned In! getting a primetime slot. Yes, it still has UPA shorts like the Mr. Magoo library, but it also has the Woody Woodpecker name attached. Plus, for my money, some of the shorts that fell under public domain are really good in spite of that, especially the Fleischer Popeye shorts.
  • The Beakman's World revival/spin-off getting more coverage than the 2003 Spider-Man series or Naruto is because that show doesn't exist in our timeline. You already know who Spidey and Naruto are, even if this particular version of the web-slinger is rather obscure by comparison. By contrast, Beakman is still an unknown character, and his first TV show isn't as fondly recalled as Bill Nye or the LeVar Burton seasons of Reading Rainbow are. As such, it needs the explanation more than they do.
  • Like I said about the initial jingle for Animax, the dropped pilots from our timeline getting picked up for that channel here would happen sooner or later. You just need to be patient about the situation.
I hope this helps.
What he said, and Totally Tooned In! works in primetime to pull in older audiences and parents of younger children.
  • I actually went back and forth on the idea of including puppets on Animax or not, even thinking of making a both ITTL and REAL poll, before deciding to just make a network. Also, animated versions of puppet characters (like Gerry Anderson’s New Captain Scarlet) will air on both, but with a huge skew toward regular Animax.
  • Even BUGS BUNNY had a few public domain shorts.
  • I thought Beakman’s World was pretty popular. Still, the show was made up FOR the TL, and Jax is pretty much an unknown to non-Beakophiles.
Ok.

Also, I learned that development on The Spectacular Spider-Man was actually started in 2006 for a Fall 2007 premiere, but Kids' WB didn't pick it up until June 2007. Maybe here, it's on Animax from the start and airs in it's originally stated Fall 2007 premiere date?

While making The Spectacular Spider-Man a direct-to-video series would have really undersold the whole thing, I would have taken the show over Eon Kid.

Then again, I knew something was up when I saw a Spider-Man animated series as a midseason premiere.

While making The Spectacular Spider-Man a direct-to-video series would have really undersold the whole thing, I would have taken the show over Eon Kid.

Then again, I knew something was up when I saw a Spider-Man animated series as a midseason premiere.
Right. Hey, maybe even Eon Kid can also air on Animax. It'd actually fit quite nicely.

@Tacomaster, what is Animax's lineup as of November 2004? Oh, and considering how the creator of El Tigre made a internet series for Sony's Screenblast, can we have him make El Tigre and maybe his other ideas for Animax ITTL?