Dear Mr. Nolte,

Very interesting and well written. However, may I ask why the unusual spelling of the name of the family both Hamilton and Laurens have married into in your TL. I have always seen it spelled as "Schuyler".

Your obedient servant,
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry, typo on my part (I use screen-reading software so was spelling it phonetically). I'll change it from here on out.

Glad you're enjoying the timeline otherwise.

Edit: fixed it, and hopefully haven't screwed up the formatting. I occasionally have bad consistent typos I don't catch, so please do point them out and I'll correct them.

Last edited:
So Canada will eventually be conquered?

Interesting. Though the question of how the patriots can break Halifax even with french help does need to be asked. Once that city falls, Newfoundland is even harder to crack, although the British will probably surrender before then.

Magnificent writing:).

Thanks very much for the complement and your interest!

On Canada: let's just say the patriots shouldn't count their chickens before they hatch. But given the favorable balance of forces at this point, giving it a shot is almost inevitable. OTL the U.S. only really gave up on bringing in Canada... probably sometime after 1912?

Incidentally, it's always amused me that the British strongly considered asking for one of the sugar islands in the Caribbean instead of Canada in 1763, and the French were sort of glad they didn't. It makes a lot of sense given the economic realities at the time--I remember reading somewhere that the West Indies brought in almost as much revenue for the crown as the 13 colonies in North America.

Major André lives! I really liked that little detail. And I'll second that your writing style is most entertaining.

The Australian nationalist press is an interesting wrinkle. That suggests that a fair number of Tories will end up living there, but how? Will the Americans capture enough of Canada to discourage them from emigrating there, instead fleeing to England and later Australia? The first penal colony wasn't established until 1788, so will the Loyalists come earlier?

Looking forward to more!

I'm so happy to see a timeline about Laurens, and even happier to see that it's so well-written. I'll definitely be following this.

Major André lives! I really liked that little detail. And I'll second that your writing style is most entertaining.

The Australian nationalist press is an interesting wrinkle. That suggests that a fair number of Tories will end up living there, but how? Will the Americans capture enough of Canada to discourage them from emigrating there, instead fleeing to England and later Australia? The first penal colony wasn't established until 1788, so will the Loyalists come earlier?

Looking forward to more!

Thanks. Yeah, he was much too interesting and colorful a character for me to let him die.

Australia: I definitely have plans for a much more imbittered loyalist faction to end up there; the exact chain of events is something I'm still developing.

Where's the footnote in the prologue.

Good TL...

Ah, that would be helpful wouldn't it... :p

William Paley was a "natural theologian" who tried to harmonize science and theology. Philip Laurens will pick some rather interesting fights with natural theology in his colorful career. [I'll also put this in the prologue but wanted to write it out for folks who don't want to go all the way back and read it].

I'm so happy to see a timeline about Laurens, and even happier to see that it's so well-written. I'll definitely be following this.

Appreciate your interest and hope you continue to enjoy it.

This next post needs a light copy edit, but I'm hoping to have it up tonight.

And here's part 4.

_____

4. Britannia's Counter-punch: 1778-1779.
(Excerpt from: Britain in the American Revolution by Sir Simon Spencer, Oxford, 1945):

News of the battles of Monmouth and Sandy Hook—of the fall of New York and Newport—came as hammer blows in the House of Commons. The question of who bore the blame would greatly preoccupy parliament for the next year. Lord North, a Prime Minister already feeling beleaguered, was at the center of this furor. It is clear from his private papers that he wished intensely to resign; it is equally clear that it was the intransigence of the king that kept him from doing so. The reason for the king's intransigence is readily evident; no other opposition leader was prepared to carry on the war robustly in North America after the death of Lord Chatham. Still, North's support in the House of Commons began to plummet, leaving his majority razor thin. Public support for the war was also at a low ebb, and changes needed to be made. It was into this turbulence that Washington, in what he cannot have known was a telling stroke, gave parole to Sir Henry Clinton's aid, Lieutenant Duncan Drummond…

(Excerpt From: Drummond: A Study in Perfidy by William Franklin Cavendish, Kingston Australia, 1888.

This up-jumped Jacobite youth of no character was called upon to testify before the House of Commons due to his proximity to events. It cannot be doubted that his testimony was in many ways responsible for the besmirching of many an honest empire loyalist, who sacrificed all for king and country. That the good Sir Henry Clinton, who himself lived in New York and studied with Samuel Seabury, before his accommodationist treason, plainly testifies to the fact that Drummond acted without the support of his superior. It is as a result of Drummond that the mother country came to seriously doubt the resolve of her loyal sons in America, and hence, took actions so injurious to their interests in the south. That this Scotsman is a Jacobite can be attested from the results of his actions; the appointment of a former Paige to Prince Charles from the Jacobite uprising in 1745 to a high and undeserved office. It is known that many Jacobites and free masons surrounded Washington, that he himself was a member of the free masons, and that the arch traitor Hamilton, a bastard son of a scot and suspected Jacobite even by many of his own future countrymen, was the power behind the general. Though the world may have been fooled by American lies, the loyal sons are aware of the truth that lies beneath…

(Excerpt from: Founding Family):

The argument that Drummond's report was without the support of Clinton can be disproved by a simple examination of the correspondence of Washington's staff. Clinton plainly told not only Laurens and Hamilton, but Washington himself, of his disappointment with the British loyalists. "He found them quarrelsome in the extreme, of little military value, and a poor recompense for the blood and treasure spent by the mother country on their behalf", as Laurens wrote to his father. Drummond's testimony also echoed that of General Burgoyne, who was already at home railing against Lord Germain, the colonial secretary, for his invocation of a large, entirely non-existent, fifth column…

(Excerpt From: Britain in the American Revolution):

Several things made Drummond's report unique. Unlike Burgoyne, his own conduct was not in doubt. Drummond's conduct had been recommended to parliament by Major André and, more importantly, General Cornwallis. No friend to General Clinton, Cornwallis was nonetheless unstinting in his praise of André, Drummond and the other members of Clinton's staff. In addition, Drummond was a young, upright and plain-spoken Scotsman, not given to flamboyance or excess, unlike the much more colorful and, hence, less fully trusted Burgoyne. Finally, Drummond did not hesitate to censure some of Clinton's decisions, all be it in the most respectful way possible. "The general expressed to me his own regret at some decisions made by him in the course of the campaign which, in the course of things, worked very much against our cause." Drummond—or more likely, Clinton speaking through Drummond—wisely did not try to shift blame entirely onto other generals or the ministry. In so doing, his actual criticisms were all the more damning as a result. Drummond's excoriation of the loyalists proved particularly effective. "The presence of a large loyalist force sufficient to justify our presence is a sheer figment, and has never been made manifest in the years of the general's service there. I doubt also it is likely to be found in any of the colonies further south, though neither the general nor I could say this with any great certainty. The population, in its greatest part, sympathizes with the rebellion and its congress."

Notwithstanding the Drummond report, the king remained adamant that the war in America must be prosecuted. Yet his faith in North and, even more, Germain, was badly damaged by now. "I should not find it objectionable if another man should be appointed Secretary for the Colonies," the king told North in a curt letter written in late October 1778. The opposition calls for Germain’s head only intensified. In December 1778, Germain resigned, leaving open a post that, according to Edmund Burke, "no man truly desires due to its infamy." In desperation, North turned to a man whose experience with the colonies had been less than satisfactory, but who had a plan to return at least some of them to loyalty: John Murray, Earl Dunmore…

The announcement of Earl Dunmore as the new Secretary for the colonies was received with shock and outrage across the south, but especially in Virginia. Dunmore was still remembered for his introduction of martial law and his creation of a black loyalist regiment at the end of his colonial governorship. Washington was convinced, correctly as it turned out, that Dunmore intended to attack Virginia. For Laurens, the source of the consternation was different. In 1778, Laurens wrote occasional letters to his father about the creation of a black battalion, even going so far as to design the uniforms he wished them to have. Now, he entreated his father again to support his efforts. "That this man, who has, in the past, sought to create a regiment of freed slaves shall seek to do so again, must not be doubted by any man," he wrote in a prescient letter of early 1779. "I very greatly fear what such a policy might do in our own state, where those whom we enslave outnumber us by a far greater margin than is the case in Virginia. What grief it must be to the conscience of any republican patriot that our cause may best be overthrown through recourse to those we ourselves have enslaved." Hamilton was also concerned about Lord Dunmore's possible efforts to free the slaves and arm them against the patriots. Writing to his father-in-law from New York he speculated about the possibility of raising a regiment of freed slaves from New York, perhaps to be confiscated from prominent loyalist owners. This also gives the lie to the later accusation that Hamilton was an uncritical champion of the interests of tories. Both requests were to end up on the desk of John Jay, the new president of the continental congress, in early 1779…

(Excerpt from: Britain in the American Revolution):

Lord Dunmore's strategy was two-fold. First, he deemed it essential that Halifax be held, as a base for harassing American and French ports and shipping in the North Atlantic. "We must use our superiority at sea to threaten the ports of the colonials; in doing so, we may prevent the several colonies from maintaining a sufficient concentration of force against us." Second, he planned a more ambitious campaign in the south, aimed at reconquering the colonies from the bottom up. South Carolina and Georgia would serve as the first major theater. Once those two colonies were properly pacified, some reinforcements would go to defend Florida. Dunmore was aware that the Spanish were contemplating entry into the war, and believed a show of force might effectively deter them. The bulk of the forces, however, would move north to secure North Carolina and operate against Virginia. Dunmore believed that "the fate of Virginia is critical to the success of our endeavors", and that the only way to break colonial will was to break Virginia. Thus, the campaign in South Carolina and Georgia must be "swift and effective, sparing no means to put the rebels on their heels". In his orders to commanders on the spot, Dunmore was quite explicit that "all means" included both arming the Cherokee and raising "such forces among the enslaved population of those regions as to ensure the success of our efforts". Nothing could have been better calculated to inflame prominent loyalists in Britain, from Benjamin Thompson, close confidant to his predecessor Lord Germain, to Joseph Galloway of Pennsylvania and William Smith of New York. Nor could he have foreseen how fractious many loyalists in the south would become as a result…

(Excerpt From: Founding Family):

The British expedition to the south, which was to eventually bring John Laurens to prominence, commanded by General Cornwallis, landed in February 1780. Because it came from Halifax, where the Continental spy network was much less advanced than that in New York City, news of the British movement reached Washington's winter headquarters in Newport only a week before the British landed. He quickly dispatched Benedict Arnold to command almost a third of his strength and "relieve South Carolina with all dispatch". Arnold reveled in the command, not yet aware of the extent to which it would change his life, and the fate of the country…

Last edited:
Wait, why did the patriots not have any spies in Halifax?

Being the main British base of operations, it would make sense for spies to be there.

In desperation, North turned to a man whose experience with the colonies had been less than satisfactory, but who had a plan to return at least some of them to loyalty: John Murray, Earl Dunmore…

I can't think of a more effective way to bring the full fury of the South upon the British than to make Dunmore a serious player in the military strategy. Arming the slaves and the Cherokee will be striking an already raw nerve.

Last edited:
Wait, why did the patriots not have any spies in Halifax?

Being the main British base of operations, it would make sense for spies to be there.

It's not that they don't have any spies, just that their spy network is much less developed than it was in NY. This is partially also because of the distances involved; it was much easier and quicker for reports to reach Washington's HQ in New Jersey or Pennsylvania from New York than in Halifax.

Edit: I went back and clarified this in the text as well.

Last edited:
I can't think of a more effective way to bring the full fury of the South upon the British than to make Dunmore a serious player in the military strategy. Arming the slaves and the Cherokee will be striking an already raw nerve.

Yep, absolutely. My premise for this is that North is in a very difficult spot. On one hand, after the Drummond Report--which everyone accept a few later gad-flies like Mr. Cavendish knows was actually from Clinton--has actually done a pretty good job of highlighting the total lack of effective loyalist support in the colonies. On the other hand, the king adamantly refuses to give up the war in North America, despite the arguments of many people [including Earl Sandwich] that the British should focus on the West Indies and just ignore North America until they can at least take the French out of the fight.

So North, in Dunmore, found someone who was willing to split the difference. By this point, even OTL, North was anything but confident of total victory, but by adopting Dunmore's plan, he divides the opposition [abolitionist-leaning parts of it will almost be forced to support the war more], allows Sandwich to pursue a bit more of his west Indies first strategy while protecting Florida in case the Spanish get frisky, and shows the king he's doing something to pursue the war. It's a bad option, but he thinks it's the best option they have.

Of course, the way it's carried out, the way southern loyalists react and the way the British high command in theater subsequently tries to have their cake and eat it too wil make the south... interesting... in the near-term.

BTW, my main source on North, Germain, the King, Clinton, Burgoyne and Cornwallis is O'Shaughnessy's The Men Who Lost America. If you know any good sources on the individual or collective British leaders that contradict O'Shaughnessy, please let me know so I can nuance his biographies if needed.

Here's the next update, covering developments in the south in 1779. The north will come in a separate update. I think I should be able to finish the ARW in about 4 or 5 more. Fun as it's been, the intent was always for this to primarily be an early republic TL and go on from there.

______

5. "We Shall Reap a Bloody Harvest." The war in the south, 1779.

The fall of 1778 was good to John Laurens and his young family. Not long after the fall of Newport, Laurens traveled to Albany, arriving in time to witness the birth of his first-born son George Laurens on November 5. The first of the sons and daughters of Hamilton and Laurens was, as his father wrote in a letter to Hamilton "a strapping baby boy, robust and in good health, and I hope you not think me boasting unduly to claim that he already possesses an intelligent look and noble carriage." Yet Laurens would not have long to enjoy his domestic bliss. The invasion of South Carolina in early 1779 saw him clambering for command of a black regiment. Congress agreed to the creation of such a regiment if he could raise it. In a shrewd compromise, John Jay and Henry Laurens agreed that half the regiment should be raised from freed slaves in New York and the other half from those in South Carolina. The two congressional foes turned temporary allies were convinced Laurens would have more difficulty raising the required number of free slaves in South Carolina alone. Though initial recruitment in New York was slow, Laurens would eventually raise about 600 freedman and former slaves from New York…

(Excerpts from: Black Men under Arms):

Veterans such as Adam Pierce, Peter Salem and Barzalai Lew volunteered to serve as Sergeants in Laurens' regiment. He began to muster them in January, 1779, and began to train and drill them. Unfortunately for Laurens' scheme, Charleston fell before his troops could set sail, and the British began their own project to free and arm slaves shortly thereafter. By March 1, 1779, General Arnold wrote General Washington that "it would be inadvisable to use armed Negros in this theater, for the use of them by Cornwallis has inflamed this country in a manner I can scarcely describe." Arnold codified this recommendation in an order issued a month later forbidding the use of any freed slaves or "Negro troops in a body" in the southern theater of the war. Frustrated, Laurens left his nascent regiment in the hands of his good friend Hamilton and went south to defend his home. The young officer may have thought his involvement with black men under arms in the revolution was over; in reality, it was just beginning. Thus, the First New York Colored Troops, as they were later known, went into action under Hamilton's command in the northern theater…

To understand Cornwallis' actions in 1779, we must first understand the broader strategic situation. In the north, the British held Penobscot, Quebec and Halifax heavily fortified against an expected American attack. General Alexander Lesley was dispatched to Florida with reinforcements to prevent Spanish adventurism in that quarter. Additionally, troops were pulled away to defend the West Indies, and it was clearly communicated to commanders in North America that the government placed a high priority on preserving British holdings in the Caribbean. Loyalists, who had previously been seen as the heart and soul of the campaign, had proven to be less numerous and effective than expected. Thus, Lord Dunmore's orders instructing Cornwallis to "raise forces sufficient to your needs from the population by whatever means are required" left Cornwallis great discretion. If the loyalists in South Carolina were more numerous and ready to fight than their northern brothers, all well and good. If not, they would be replaced with freed slaves and Cherokees, as a warning to the south of what British power might do. Many British officers spoke with glee of "forcing the patriots, who prattle of their liberties, to exert themselves in forcing upon others whips, chains and irons". Particularly fond of this strategy were three young officers: Bannister Tarleton, John André and Patrick Ferguson. It would be Ferguson, and his breech-loading rifle, who were most associated with the Royal Colored Troops, as this formation was to be called…
(Excerpt from: Benedict Arnold, A Life):

Arnold, on hearing the groaning of the south under the heel of British tyranny, marched with great speed and vigor, but was saddled with the most incompetent of subordinates, the detestable Charles Lee, whose craven actions put American forces at a great disadvantage. Ordered by General Arnold to take the lead and engage British forces marching north from Charleston, Lee acted in a desultory manner, engaging, then retreating from British forces. At long last, on April 16, the two forces clashed near in the vicinity of Florence, South Carolina…

(Excerpt from: Britain in the American Revolution):

Cornwallis took advantage of Lee’s tentative advances on Florence, aggressively counter-attacking and driving the patriots’ van before him. General Lee's men caused some confusion in Arnold’s ranks as they fell back in bad order, but the wily American commanding general quickly reordered his troops. Though the Americans handled themselves well from that point, Arnold's advance was checked by Cornwallis, leaving South Carolina largely in British hands for the time being. Arnold was also forced to split his forces by General Lesley's operations from Saint Augustine. Seeing Florida was quite stable and that the Spanish were, for the present, a minor threat, Lesley besieged Savannah, forcing Arnold to dispatch troops to the relief of that city…

Lacking many commanders he could trust, Arnold sent Laurens to Savannah with all the forces he could spare, while at the same time trying to keep Cornwallis off-balance in northern South Carolina. Laurens arrived to find General Lincoln "grievously beset by his foes", as he wrote to Hamilton on May 9. Laurens' acts of bravery during the siege were conspicuous, with Benjamin Lincoln reportedly commenting he was "always to be found where the fighting was at its thickest". Nevertheless, with the arrival of a small British naval detachment, it became clear that Savannah would fall, and so Laurens and Lincoln prepared a daring break-out on May 28, 1779. Laurens and around 1,000 continental soldiers escaped, heading westward across Georgia with elements of Lesley's force in hot pursuit. Skillfully, Laurens evaded pursuit, crossed into Tennessee, then slipped back across the Appalachians into South Carolina. Laurens and his men, working with militias in the back-country, would prove a severe irritant to British forces for the next several months…

If Cornwallis hoped his partial victory at Florence would galvanize loyalists, he was to prove mistaken. Indeed, by July 1779, it was clear that, if anything, patriot militia strength was growing. Thus, Cornwallis took steps he had resisted up to this point. British officers began to confiscate slaves from owners known to be patriot sympathizers, promising to any willing to take up arms freedom for themselves and their families. Under the advice of Colonel Ferguson, the Royal Colored Troops were trained to operate not as a formal military unit, but as bands of disciplined marksmen well suited to counter-militia activities. Armed with Ferguson's breech-loading rifle, the Royal Colored Troops would, it was hoped, prove both effective and terrifying soldiers. Plans were also made to arm the Cherokee, and promises of greater British attention to their interests were made after the war…

(Excerpt From: Founding Family):

It must have filled Laurens with a certain amount of ambivalence as the Royal Colored Troops proved to be effective soldiers, just as he predicted. Yet Arnold's prediction that use of freed slaves would turn popular opinion against the British also proved accurate. The war in South Carolina turned bloody very quickly, with many patriot militia leaders, and even General Arnold, issuing orders that any black man found carrying a Ferguson rifle was to be shot on sight. "I fear we shall all reap a bloody harvest from these events," Laurens wrote Hamilton in an uncharacteristically gloomy letter dated September 16. “Our greatest hopes have been dashed and our worst fears realized in this theater. Though I believe we will win the day, I fear what the British actions will ultimately portend for the cause of manumission in the south.” Laurens rejoined Arnold in September, only to be called away from the southern theater. The continental congress intended to send an envoy to France to request more funds and troops, and chose Laurens for the post. Though he wrote a few letters expressing his sorrow at "leaving behind the field of valor in South Carolina's hour of need", there seems to have been not a little relief mixed in as well…

Hope that Hamilton avoids meeting a certain Maria Reynolds...

Good update.

Oh, things are going to be dramatically different by that point. But she will still show up, all be it in connection with a different major American figure in the 1790s...

Eesh. The post-war reaction to the Royal Colored Troops is not going to be pretty. I fear that a surviving Laurens is going to be pretty disappointed in the path his home state's going down. From what it sounds like with the Old South League, he might have to choose between his politics and his native state. I'm excited to see what becomes of Arnold as well, and I get the feeling he and Laurens will turn out to be pretty bitter rivals. Given your comment on Maria Reynolds, I bet she'll have something in common with our world's Peggy Shippen.

You've got a great cast of characters on your hands. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Is anyone an expert on, or aware of good sources on Quebec at this time period, particularly the francophone population?

I need to do a plausibility check. OTL Lafayette wanted to invade Quebec to recapture it for France, according to Laurens' letters. ITTL he will, at a minimum, convince Washington to try an invasion of Canada again, with Lafayette in command of the prong that goes into Quebec. I'm wondering whether a French-speaking liberal aristocrat like Lafayette will garner any enthusiasm at all from the francophone population, or whether it'll just be a replay of the earlier American expedition, this time with a Frenchman in command.

I will say, as a bit of a spoiler, that the Canadian campaign isn't going to go the way the patriots expect.

Eesh. The post-war reaction to the Royal Colored Troops is not going to be pretty. I fear that a surviving Laurens is going to be pretty disappointed in the direction his home state's going on. From what it sounds like from the Old South League, he might have to choose between his politics and his native state. I'm excited to see what becomes of Arnold as well, and I get the feeling he and Laurens will turn out to be pretty bitter rivals. Given your comment on Maria Reynolds, I bet she'll have something in common with our world's Peggy Shippen.

You've got a great cast of characters on your hands. Can't wait to see where it goes.

I have plans for the RCTs that involve Laurens actually--at least tangentially. They should come in 1780-1781.

But yes, things have a potential to turn nasty, particularly given that the RCTs are using Ferguson rifles. And unfortunately they're going to take the blame, at least in the imagination of the Old South League, for a lot of things that aren't really their fault.

Hmm, I was thinking of someone else ending up connected to the infamous Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, but Arnold is an interesting thought now you mention it. Suffice it to say he won't be marrying Peggy Shippen OTL.

I have plans for the RCTs that involve Laurens actually--at least tangentially. They should come in 1780-1781.

But yes, things have a potential to turn nasty, particularly given that the RCTs are using Ferguson rifles. And unfortunately they're going to take the blame, at least in the imagination of the Old South League, for a lot of things that aren't really their fault.

Hmm, I was thinking of someone else ending up connected to the infamous Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds, but Arnold is an interesting thought now you mention it. Suffice it to say he won't be marrying Peggy Shippen OTL.

Well, I'm excited to see whose life the Reynolds decide to turn into a soap opera. From what I can tell from looking into them myself, the two were con artists. At the very least, James Reynolds was a conman, and his wife was willing to be a pawn in his game. As long as he's around and hard-up for cash, it's just a matter of time until they find someone wealthy and important to blackmail.

The popcorn is already in hand.