Finnish SS Regiment...

MacCaulay

Banned
I was strolling through Wikipedia and I came across this. Not sure if it's true but for the basis of a POD I'll take it as such...

400 of the volunteers had previous military experience from the Winter War, and they were assigned directly to the Wiking division. They are known in Finnish literature as the "division's men", and were assigned to both the Nordland and Westland regiments, as well as to divisional units.
The recruits included 10 regular officers, 66 reserve officers and 29 non-commissioned officers. This was many more officers than were necessary for a single battalion, and the German government suggested to Finland that if some 1,000 more men were recruited, the whole force could be used to form a Finnish SS regiment, manned and officered by Finns. The Finnish government rejected the idea.
So obviously you see the POD here: what if there had been a complete Finnish SS Regiment?

Cook

Banned
I came across this photo with the caption of Finish members of the SS ages ago.

So this was just a top heavy battalion was it?

finnish-soldiers.jpg

I came across this photo with the caption of Finish members of the SS ages ago.

So this was just a top heavy battalion was it?
That is not Finnish SS members, they belong to the 4th light infantry,
4th division, Army of the Isthmus.
Furthermore I think you are refering to the Kalevala SS regiment which the
Germans wanted to set up, the Finnish government said no and demanded
that their battalion would be returned to them which the Germans did.

Cook

Banned
Thanks Vitemajoren.

I hate it when I a photo incorrectly titled, it makes everything in the book doubtful.

Thanks Vitemajoren.

I hate it when I a photo incorrectly titled, it makes everything in the book doubtful.
Battalion Nordost was raised in late 1940 and many were veterans
from the winter war, the Finnish government saw this as a confirmation
of the Alliance with Germany. And as the war started they wanted these men back and finally got them in 1943.
About the book, well I can only concur, what is the title anyway?

Cook

Banned
Battalion Nordost was raised in late 1940 and many were veterans
from the winter war, the Finnish government saw this as a confirmation
of the Alliance with Germany. And as the war started they wanted these men back and finally got them in 1943.
About the book, well I can only concur, what is the title anyway?

It’s just an Atlas of World War Two.
Mostly maps, introductory level stuff.
Annoying all the same.

Why should Finns join the SS to fight the Soviets if they could fight with their own military?

This is exactly what I thoght when saw the title. Would make some sense in 1940, but foreigners joined W-SS to fight communists and prior to june 1941 there wasn't much chance for that.