Expanding Burgundy

so I'm new here and have been working on a timeline in which Charles the Bold is not killed at the Battle of Nancy, goes on to win the Burgundian wars, and then soon after has a son. (or his bastard Balduin succeeds, probably the first one though). but my question is, with a powerful Burgundy controlling the Low Countries, Lorraine, and the Duchy of Burgundy, how much more expansion would be realistic? (if any) would Burgundy expand in to central Europe? is so, how much would be reasonable? colonies too, but where? this is a very interesting scenario, because Burgundy had the potential to be a great power.. I just need some advice fleshing out my first TL. thanks.

If it expands anywhere it'd be into France, it was a French duchy after all.

More likely I htink though is that when France pulls its act together it seeks to reign in Burgundy.

My guess is that it would expand into the small duchies and counties in Germany, like Charles V did when he united the Netherlands. I heard once he also wanted to conquer East-Frisia, Munster and Liege, so that is where Burgundy could grow or Cleve/Julich/Mark/Berg.

If Burgundy got strong enough it could maybe eventually make a claim for the throne of France itself, especially if the French centralisation plans backfire and the country goes into civil-war mode.

By the time that Charles the Bold died, in 1477, the Burgundian Valios were no longer anywhere near the line of succession. Also, I don't know if it could hold itself apart from both France and Germany. If Charles manages to finagle a crown from the Holy Roman Emperor, then he still has the problem of having a son.

I think that the best way to still utilize Burgundy is to keep the Hapsburgs (that is Charles V) from succeeding to the Spanish throne. A lot of people had to die for that to happen, and any of them living keeps the Hapsburg off the Spanish throne. If you can do that, then I think that Charles the Bold's Burgundy (what was left of it, which was most of the good pieces) becomes the launching pad for the Hapsburg attempt to unify Germany under their rule. With the wealth of the Netherlands, and the wealth of Tyrol silver mines (which was what bought Charles V the Imperial crown, not American wealth) focused exclusively on Germany, and definitely a much more adept handling of the Luther Crisis (w/o the Most Catholic Kingdom of Spain, I tend to think the humanist educated Charles V would treat Luther much different) perhaps with an Erasmasian Church emerging in Germany. Luther's ideas had a great many supporters in Germany and were very popular among the urban middle class. The urban middle class is the essential ingredient in any strong monarchy (FACT) and Charles recognized this OTL but had too much on his plate to do anything about it, I think that you can go all kinds of places.

Since its relevant here here is a map I made a few days ago- Henry V wins 100YW, Burgundy declares total independance from a weakened France using the past kingdom of Lotharingaria as a excuse. Over the years borders shift but in Burgundy itself falls to France whilst the now far more Dutch country takes off chunks of the HRE.
It uses a totally different POD of course but minus a independant Frisia (I just thought that would be cool) it's where I'd see a viable and strong independant 'Burgundy' being.

bugg.PNG

WyldCard4

Banned
On the Paradox boards it is considered a fact that his death is one of the random unlikly events of history, almost an Alien Space Bat really that the whole nation would fall som fast.