Everything Changes: A Timeline of a Robert F. Kennedy Presidency

Hi Guys. I apologize for there not being an update in a little while. I am still committed to this TL, but 3 days after my post on April 19, a family member who I was close with died suddenly from complications related to cancer. She was very sick and it was devestating. Took me a while to grieve (In addition to completing my exams for school), but I have moved through it and I will begin typing the next update, dealing with the aftermath and the following primaries, tomorrow. Once again, my apologies. Please don't be mad. Meanwhile, feel free to make suggestions for the TL and potential legislation.
I understand. After I lost my father I was fairly out of it. Take your time in coming back.

I'm assuming you have cabinet posetions and a running mate picked out.
Any idea with how far you plan on this TL going to yet?

I'm assuming you have cabinet posetions and a running mate picked out.
Any idea with how far you plan on this TL going to yet?

Gonna go to January 1977. If I'm up for it, I might write year by year summaries after that date up to 2009. But don't expect it. Cabinet and running mate have been selected. Once again, I'm selecting Ralph Yarborough as RFK's running mate.

Gonna go to January 1977. If I'm up for it, I might write year by year summaries after that date up to 2009. But don't expect it. Cabinet and running mate have been selected. Once again, I'm selecting Ralph Yarborough as RFK's running mate.

As (I think) I've said before, I don't see that as incredibly likely. There's a reason Bentsen was able to primary Yarborough just two years later. Yarborough just wasn't actually very popular in the South. I don't think he'd really be able to carry any Southern states for RFK.

bguy

Donor
As (I think) I've said before, I don't see that as incredibly likely. There's a reason Bentsen was able to primary Yarborough just two years later. Yarborough just wasn't actually very popular in the South. I don't think he'd really be able to carry any Southern states for RFK.

Realistically though is there anyone that would enable RFK to carry any Southern state? It's not like he would do any better in the South with Sanford or Gore or Sanders on the ticket.

Stand by, the long-awaited Chapter 2 will be up this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but I have explained my reasons in an earlier post. Just so you know, I never intend to let this TL be uncompleted.

Realistically though is there anyone that would enable RFK to carry any Southern state? It's not like he would do any better in the South with Sanford or Gore or Sanders on the ticket.

Freedman says in his book that Yarborough would help as he was pro-civil rights and pro-labor. His presence would help keep Wallace's margins down and possibly help Kennedy win in Texas, Indiana, and Iowa. Even though everyone here says that LBJ and Connally would do everything to ensure that RFK wouldn't win Texas in '68, perhaps I can allow that state to fall into RFK's column here. As for the TL on Election Atlas forums, here is the link to it: http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=109606.0

Last edited:
Another thing, what would the effects of an RFK Presidency have on the labor movement (As well as NAFTA, Deindustrialization, Rust Belt decline, Labor Law Reform)?

I'm back. Here's the second update. Will be editing stuff in, like the last one.

The Days After

As Sirhan Sirhan was being processed in the jail, Robert F. Kennedy was in the freight elevator heading back to his suite, the press conference in the Colonial Room cancelled. He managed to escape the strong grasps of Bill Barry and the others, asking if everyone was all right. They reassured the Senator and informed him that Steve Smith was okay, and was being taken to a nearby hospital to be treated. While Kennedy wished to go to the hospital to check on his brother-in-law, others convinced the Senator to return to the suite, worried about the possibility of other shooters lurking outside the hotel. The press conference was postponed until 9 AM the following morning, taking the place of . Throughout the night, calls of support and relief from other candidates and supporters were placed through the suite, while the candidate and his wife slept. Shortly before the press conference, Kennedy received a phone call from President Johnson, who informed him that, in light of the assassination attempt, he was issuing an executive order extending Secret Service protection to all presidential candidates. While Kennedy appreciated Johnson’s gesture, he suspected that the President was barely concealing the mixed emotions he had at that moment.

The press conference began with Kennedy making light-hearted remarks on Steve Smith’s medical condition. Tons of questions were thrown around the room. What do you think motivated the attack? Senator, will you be taking a break from campaigning? Have any of the other candidates called to wish you well? Senator, what is your opinion on President Johnson’s executive order? Will it affect your campaigning in any way? Kennedy patiently listened to and replied to each of the reporter’s questions, sometimes with a sense of humor. At the end of the conference, Kennedy announced to the press that he would fly to St. Louis tomorrow to meet with delegates there, before heading on to New York to start campaigning for the New York Primary on June 18. As he left the podium to head back to his suite, Kennedy reflected on the uphill battle that awaited him. Many Democrats had been reluctant in supporting his insurgent candidacy. Southern Democrats held Kennedy in contempt for his battles against segregation and support for black causes. Culturally conservative Democrats in America also disliked Kennedy’s sympathy for blacks, in addition to his criticism of the war and the decision to stand with the student protestors. Other reasons for reluctance ranged from fear of retaliation from President Johnson to dislike for the Kennedy family and Bobby’s ruthlessness. Kennedy’s thoughts turned to Chicago Mayor Richard J. Daley. Though he had proclaimed his support for President Johnson when Kennedy announced, Daley also reached out to Professor Richard Wade, a Kennedy loyalist serving on the Chicago planning board, encouraging him to meet with the Mayor after each primary. The night before, in Washington, Illinois Congressman Dan Rostenkowski told longtime Kennedy ally Kenny O’Donnell that if Kennedy won California, than Daley would be with him and “we’ll all fall into line.” But, many in the campaign wondered if Daley’s support and delegates would put pressure on other party leaders to reconsider. According to David Hackett, 872 delegates hadn't pledged to any candidate and 1,312 were needed to win the nomination. However, with momentum from the primary wins, maybe gaining delegates wouldn't be hard as thought.

Corbis-HU024612.jpg

As Senator Kennedy departed Los Angeles on June 7, Senator Eugene McCarthy received shocking news. Sam Brown, the campaign’s youth coordinator, along with dozens other senior staffers, announced they were abandoning McCarthy’s campaign and declaring support for Kennedy. McCarthy was enraged. He had disliked the Kennedy family years before the race, considering their Catholicism, intelligence, and commitment to be inferior to his own. He was bitter over the fact that Bobby entered the race after the New Hampshire primary, despite promising McCarthy the year before that he wouldn’t. Now, after the events in California, the Minnesota Senator’s campaign had suffered a severe blow. On June 9, while being interviewed by several reporters, a fuming McCarthy inflicted another wound on his collapsing campaign. Known for his caustic wit, the Senator remarked to reporters that, "I probably would've done better in California if someone tried to shoot me." This gaffe shocked and outraged many, showing that McCarthy was out of touch with the American public. The story made the morning papers on June 10, along with another damaging story. An Oregon reporter had made a tape recording of McCarthy discussing the Kennedy campaign's struggles in that state. During the conversation, McCarthy quipped: “I’m sure in a few days they’ll be leaking a story that somebody took a shot at him.” That story had found its way to a Kennedy campaign operative who related it to press secretary Frank Mankiewicz. After Mankiewicz managed to get a copy of the tape, it was passed through numerous sources before it ended up in the hands of editors for the major New York Papers, who ran the story. Many people in the McCarthy camp were divided. Some urged the Senator to express remorse and apologize for his remarks, but the Senator ignored them and bitterly continued with his campaign.

U1586585.jpg

Last edited:
There'll be more added to this update. Just thinking about what to do for New York and the path to the convention. Should Humphrey drop out in July or is it more plausible to follow Greenfield's convention scenario?

There'll be more added to this update. Just thinking about what to do for New York and the path to the convention. Should Humphrey drop out in July or is it more plausible to follow Greenfield's convention scenario?

The fact remains that you took his POD, took direct lines from the story, and most of it mirrors his work. I think you need to back up and write your own version of an RFK lives timeline.

The fact remains that you took his POD, took direct lines from the story, and most of it mirrors his work. I think you need to back up and write your own version of an RFK lives timeline.

I'm not gonna be mirroring Greenfield's work. It's an inspiration and helpful, and I have some twists of my own planned.