Es Geloybte Aretz - a Germanwank

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we'll have to endure more Russian successes and German blunders and fumbles? Oh well :rolleyes: This is becoming more and more of a "in the back through the chest into the eye" kind of wank :D

To catch victory disease, you need victories first.

What I would REALLY appreciate later on is somebody getting wise to Redl's working for the Russians and starting to feed him false information to set traps for their troops.

Look at it from his POV. Being a Russian spy in Vienna is fine and dandy. their military intelligence consists of 20 people, all as thoroughly vetted as him. But being a Russian spy around the folk from IIIb AND within shouting distance of Feliks Dzerzhinsky...

To catch victory disease, you need victories first.

Look at it from his POV. Being a Russian spy in Vienna is fine and dandy. their military intelligence consists of 20 people, all as thoroughly vetted as him. But being a Russian spy around the folk from IIIb AND within shouting distance of Feliks Dzerzhinsky...

Ah...I hope Feliks is the one who catches him. That would be an interesting encounter.

20 June 1906, Paris

“Thank you for coming at such short notice, General Foch.”

The general saluted and took a seat. A summons from the prime minister was something any soldier would obey, but in the days following the Deroulede coup, Foch had developed a bond with Clemenceau that went beyond professional courtesy. The men trusted each other.

“Of course, Mr Prime Minister. I assume you wanted to discuss the German war with me?”

Clemenceau nodded. “What else, general? Yes, of course. You will have heard by now that the Russian government has requested we join them in taking Berlin down a peg. What do you think?”

Foch looked intently out of the window for a second before answering: “They certainly could have chosen a more opportune moment.”

“You disagree with the idea?”

The general shook his head. “Not in principle. But no country should knowingly enter a war that has no realistic chance of achieving its objectives.”

“Which this does not?”, Clemenceau asked. “Come on, I called on you for your opinion.”

“Honestly?”

“Honestly. Whatever you say stays in this room.”

Foch cleared his throat. “We've spent ten years trying to match Britain and Germany at the same time, and today I can confidently say that we are able to defeat Britain on land and Germany at sea. It pains me to say so, but the money we poured into our beautiful battleships and the conquest of Africa starved us of the divisions we would need to take Metz and Strasbourg. If we were to face the Germans today – we might win, but it will take a miracle. And as a laical Republican, miracles are not my business.”

The prime minister sucked his teeth. He had heard criticism of military policy before, but rarely that harshly and never from men with general's stars, however fresh. “So, you don't give us any chances? The army is not good enough?”

A brief smile flickered over Foch's face before his gloomy stare returned. “What general will ever admit to having enough? No, that is not it. The problem goes deeper. We lack frontline-ready troops, and the means to produce them in enough numbers. The Deroulede government believed in a small, politically reliable army. We lack the siege artillery to break the German fortresses. The funds were put into our navy. We lack the cadre to lead our forces into a modern war. Too many of our officers are superannuated and unreliable. They were promoted for holding the right beliefs, coming from the right families. All of this can be addressed, and it is being addressed, but it takes time.”

Clemenceau nodded. He had feared as much. “You are saying the army's officer corps is unreliable?”, he probed.

“Bonapartists.”, the general listed, his face hard. “Ultramontanists. Boulangists. Too many of those who are not loyal to one or the other pretender fancy themselves as the next emperor of the French. There are many good Republican officers, but too many of them have suffered in their careers and resent others being promoted over them. Among the leadership, the enemies of the Republic are too numerous still. When you fgo to war – you know what you risk.”

“If France were to be gloriously triumphant, I would risk tyranny...” the prime minister began.

“So would I. But more likely you would condemn her to obscurantism, servitude and defeat. The dice are weighted, Sir. If this had come two years later, with the three-year draft in place and the new artillery, we could chance it. Now, you would be mad to do it.”

He spoke with frightening finality. Clemenceaiu knew Foch to be a brave man and a fierce patriot. No fault could be found with his motives, and his judgement – it sounded altogether too accurate.

“Even with Russian on our side?” The question sounded almost hesitant.

Foch snorted dismissively. “The Russians are weaker than they themselves know. Their armies are hollow. Yes, they can hurt the Germans badly now, but not badly enough. They cannot drive into the heart of the country. I would be surprised if they got past the first fortresses. Once Wilhelm has mobilised his forces, he will drive them out. There are then no forces of appreciable value left that could stop his charge. Reservists cannot hope to defeat active duty troops. Russia as our ally only means that we will not suffer defeat immediately. We may even capture bits of Alsace-Lorraine. But we could not hope to withstand the counterstrike when it comes. And all of this is assuming that the British would stay out of the battle.”

The British. That was the elephant in the room. Clemenceau found it hard to read their intentions, but they were close to the Germans. If they went to war – their navy was a terrifying enemy.

“We will see about that, general.” he said. “Incidentally, our intelligence service advises us that the Russian government apparently offered Austria-Hungary an annexation of Bosnia and neutrality vis-a-vis Serbia if they stayed out of the war. What would you make of that?”

Foch's answer was slow in coming, but very certain. “They are lying.”

“My very feelings, Sir. The whole raison d'etre of the new Russian state that Nicholas is talking about is their Slavic empire. Which begs the question, what about the offer they made us?”

20 June 1906, Rominten

“Here, take this picture!” Mikhail Nezkin was in his element. The photographer, weighted down with his two Kodaks and followed by a lucky soldier who had drawn the assignment of carrying his gear away from the front, poked around the rooms of the German imperial hunting estate that the Fourth Corps had turned into its field headquarters. The pictures were wonderful: Russian soldiers cooking tea in the marble fireplace. Infantrymen sleeping on a gilt chaiselongue. Cossacks stabling their horses under the wings of the grand staircase. Officers spreading out maps on a billiard table. The caps of the regimental staff hung from trophy antlers. The readers back home would lap it up. Nezkin had an infallible eye for symbolism, and his ability to capture this triumph of Slavic courage over German ingenuity would make his employers at the Russkaya Pravda very happy. He was proud to be furthering the cause of his motherland, and the support that the government and military were now giving the Patriotic Union was gratifying.

In the hallway, he chanced to spweak to a young infantry lieutenant who had brought back snapshots from the battle that had seen the Russians overwhelm the defenses of the Angerapp valley. He had seen and photographed it all, the trenches, the dead, the shell holes and the improvised bridge that the Omsk regiment had used to cross the river. Others would report on the battle. Nezkin wanted the pictures. He even offered to develop them. “Dead uhlans.”, he mused. “People back home will pay good money to see that.”

The soldier carrying the camera equipment looked up. “Uhlans, Sir?”, he asked. “I thought they were taking fortifications? Who puts cavalry in the trenches?”

Nezkin shrugged. “Who knows why the Germans do anything. Suppose their infantry couldn't reach the positions fast enough, maybe?”

The soldier grunted noncomittally. As far as he was concerned, anything that killed cavalry was all right., But it spoke of desperation to waste mounted troops like that.

That is just about the first time the name "Foch" does not create an urge to spit in me [1]. Well written :D

[1]It is not for his being French or a hardliner when it comes to his proposed treatment of Germany after WW1 (that was par for the course back then, no offense taken). It is because his Old Guard obstinacy when it came to adapting to the necessities of modern war caused untold hundreds of thousands of additional and unnecessary grunt deaths in a conflict that was full of unnecessary grunt deaths. He deserved to be sacked many times over. I despise him and others of his ilk, be they French, German, British or Italian :mad:

Paul MacQ

Monthly Donor
Kodak? He is using an american camera? That seems a bit odd to me. Mind you, i suppose the alternative might be german, which wouldnt go over well. Didnt the french have a decent camera company at the time?

Kodak would likely be one of the camera's The simple to use Kodak Brownie
would often be used as a snapshot roll-film camera. Kodak was knocking them out in large numbers. And very popular fast for those needing to take pictures without preparation.

Though you could look at French Falling Plate Camera brand called "Detective" c1900. A picture of which I found on eBay and used and popular in Russia.

Though you can also find some other options
http://johnsrolleionlypage.homestead.com/historicallyimportantcameras.html
I always thought the pocket watch camera would be a cool Edwardian Spy toy as shown on that page

$(KGrHqV,!g8F!UDOnmDDBQPzn5RBsg~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
Kodak? He is using an american camera? That seems a bit odd to me. Mind you, i suppose the alternative might be german, which wouldnt go over well. Didnt the french have a decent camera company at the time?

AFAIK the Kodak Brownie was the choice for anyone who needed to take pictures in the field, quickly and with no fuss. There were lots of more expensive, heavier cameras that would be used for high quality photography and a profusion of fly-by-night cheapomatics that tried to emulate the Brownie, but it was still the real thing in most of the world.

AFAIK the Kodak Brownie was the choice for anyone who needed to take pictures in the field, quickly and with no fuss. There were lots of more expensive, heavier cameras that would be used for high quality photography and a profusion of fly-by-night cheapomatics that tried to emulate the Brownie, but it was still the real thing in most of the world.

1) i didnt realize what a huge advance, or rather huge advances kodak had made.

2) the phrase 'weighted down with' made me think of cameras far more substantial than a brownie

3) i got the impression they were talking of a lot more than snapshots.

But, yes, kodaks could easily have been the cameras used, and my incredulity reflected my ignorance rather than lack of plausibilty.

One of the fun things about this board is the amount you learn. Now, if only i could do it without making a fool of myself:):(

21 June 1906, Berlin

“I still do not think it is entirely proper.”. Schlieffen's resistance was wearing down. General von Bock und Pollach could sense he was breaking.

“Sir, nothing untoward is intended. I assure you, the moment my brother can resume his duties, I will readily step aside. My sole concern is the nation's wellbeing.” Crown Prince Eitel Friedrich's pleading voice radiated honest innocence. The man looked almost fearful, like a lieutenant with his first new idea to present. “I am fully aware of my limitations and will not interfere with the military operations in any way. but please, Sir, consider the need for a leader that people can see!”

“I cannot but agree, General Schlieffen.”, Vietinghoff opined. “For all the talent and skill we have, there is a leadership vacuum. His Majesty is incapacitated by his injuries. When the German people look to their leadership, who shall they see? We must have a man at the head of the OHL in whom the nation can have confidence, and His highness is the obvious choice.”

Schlieffen rubbed his temples. “It is highly irregular. Supreme command is vested in His Majesty the emperor. The OHL answers to him. We cannot really have a vice-emperor, there is no position for that purpose. And anyway, I could not authorise it. It would be dependent on an imperial order.”

Eitel Friedrich sighed. “General, my brother is struggling for his life. I will approach him on the subject, and we will discuss the matter. But I am fearful he masy simply not be up to making any such decisions at this time. His nerves are frail. We have not even told him of the declaration of war yet.”

Cold fear grasped at the general staff chief's soul. On the cusp of this moment, Schlieffen came to a decision. Germany could not be allowed to suffer the uncertainties of a government mediated through a sick ruler's doctors, confidants and bodyservants. Hang constitutional uncertainty. Without the emperor, the OHL remained in charge of the Army inspections and Corps commands, and they were in effect running the country anyway. Somebody had to be seen to be in charge.

“Your Highness,” he said, “I will trust your judgement in discussing this matter with your brother. Until such time, you are welcome to join our deliberations. There will be no question of an appointment, of course. No position within my gift would be appropriate for you. The Crown Prince at the OHL will be enough for any current purpose.”

With a look of relief and triumph., General von Bock and Pollach rose to his feet and saluted. “General, Germany owes you a debt of gratitude. From this day on, the people will know their leader, and they will follow him. By the time His Majesty returns to his duties, the situation may well be entirely more positive.”

Schlieffen gave him a withering look. He disliked the ambitious creatures that Count Waldersee's entourage had spawned. The mnan had had too little appreciation of the proper role of a soldier: to obey silently and excel unassumingly. Loud, flashy and scheming. “We must hope so, Sir.” he said. “For all our sakes, we must.”

21 June 1906, New York

ADVICE
To all German ships:

The Imperial Admiralty advises all German ships or cargo ships of other nations bound for German ports that a state of war exists between the German Empire and the Empire of Russia. Enemy action to disturb trade must be expected. All foreign vessels are advised that Russian vessels are active in the North Sea and Baltic Sea and cautioned against attempting to enter German waters. All German-flagged vessels are instructed to await further instruction in neutral ports. A system of guarded convoys is being set up which will offer the protection of warships to both German and foreign ships bound for German ports. All ships required by necessity or through admiralty orders to proceed to port are ordered to reroute through Rotterdam. All arrangements for berthing and on-carriage of cargo may be made through the German consulate's offices.

By order of the Imperial German government

The German Consulate-General
(handbills posted in New York port)

I would suggest that the Netherlands would offer to allow German ships to use the Dutch flag and to seek refuge in dutch controlled harbours

It looks as if Eitel Friedrich will get things into a mess and his brother will be the one who leads Germany to victory. :)

To be fair to Eitel, if it wasn't for his less than stellar entourage, he'd still be the figurehead for the period of the war where the Russians manage to harry the german armies.

When Wilhelm comes around - or finally the doctor gets told to lay off the fucking drugs - so will have the Army.

But since Eitel has surrounded himself with idiotic, overambitious lackspittles who nonetheless are able to sometimes play him like a violin...

History won't be kind to him.

Just curious, why wouldn't Prince Heinrich resume the office he held (regent?) during Wilhelm's minority? That would seem the most logical. I would imagine the people would expect it to, wouldn't they?

Just curious, why wouldn't Prince Heinrich resume the office he held (regent?) during Wilhelm's minority? That would seem the most logical. I would imagine the people would expect it to, wouldn't they?

It would be. But it's the last thing the Waldersee clique wants. They hate him with sufficient passion that he is referred to in their private conversations as "the Inspector-General of the Navy".

Right now, he has not returned to the regency because technically, Wilhelm is not considered unfit to rule. Until the day before yesterday, the idea of an emperor who occasionally is present enough to sign important papers was fine. He isn't expected to stay that way, after all. It would be a very goosd idea now, but getting there would require either that the doctors declare Wilhelm unfit to rule, in which case Eitel Friedrich would become emperor, but the regency council could be convened to "assist" him, or an order from Wilhelm himself what is to be done during his illness. Since Wilhelm is blissfully unaware, the Reichstag has no power to declare any of this, Albert is unambitious and assumes the best about his military, and the real power in the land has just been passed to the OHL for the duration, this is a really sucky situation. The question is, who will play his pieces better.

I would suggest that the Netherlands would offer to allow German ships to use the Dutch flag and to seek refuge in dutch controlled harbours

That is an interesting suggestion. I was certainly envisioning Rotterdam being opened to German shipping and the Russian cruisers being pointedly made unwelcome in Dutch waters. How commonly did countries use each other's flags back then?

Or the british could allow german ships to reflag. The russians wouldnt dare stop british ships, at least ones going to neutral ports.

And given how upset the brits are about heligoland, they might make the offer without being asked.

Would the dutch want to stick their noses in? Russia would expand the war to include the netherlands a lot quicker than expanding it to include britain.

Status
Not open for further replies.