Emperor of China

Grey Wolf

Donor
tom said:
Give China an emperor in 2004.

Yuan Shi-Kai

1. Sun Yat Sen dies, the republican movement is left rudderless, Yuan declares himself emperor as in OTL and they reluctantly join him

2. Yuan does not desert the Ching in 1912, the rebels are crushed, China undergoes one of its periodic wars/revolutions and emerges with a liberalised monarchy in the 1920s

Grey Wolf

Xen

Banned
The Empress Dowager is killed in the late 1880's, her "heir" doesnt feel threatened by his aunt anymore (since shes dead) and begins to modernize China. He receives help from European Powers (most notably Britain). By World War I, China is on the same page as Japan (or slightly behind but not by much). By the 1950's China is a Constitutional Monarchy on near the same standards as the west. As the new Millenium dawns China remains a Constitutional Monarchy with strong Social Democratic ties, and a high living standard. The hottest debates are in the issue of womens rights with the liberals strongly in favor and the conservatives strongly against, with the liberals leading slightly in the 2004 polls. The US and EU are pushing China to adopt basic womens rights and have even considered placing sanctions on China until those rights are passed and become part of the Constitution.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Xen said:
The Empress Dowager is killed in the late 1880's, her "heir" doesnt feel threatened by his aunt anymore (since shes dead) and begins to modernize China. He receives help from European Powers (most notably Britain). By World War I, China is on the same page as Japan (or slightly behind but not by much). By the 1950's China is a Constitutional Monarchy on near the same standards as the west. As the new Millenium dawns China remains a Constitutional Monarchy with strong Social Democratic ties, and a high living standard. The hottest debates are in the issue of womens rights with the liberals strongly in favor and the conservatives strongly against, with the liberals leading slightly in the 2004 polls. The US and EU are pushing China to adopt basic womens rights and have even considered placing sanctions on China until those rights are passed and become part of the Constitution.

Hey, I like it ! :) An AFOE way, hehe. The 1880s was an optimum moment, the aftermath of the Sino-French War a good POD

Grey Wolf