Emirate of Granada

archaeogeek

Banned
Is that so hard?

One of the problems is that most of the spanish kinglets were ultimately part of the house of Castille-Leon (there was an understanding during the 12th century among the christian kings that Leon had primacy as "Emperor of Spain", obviously the caliph in Cordoba rather disagreed; this changed later as well for the christians, this is also why IOTL the Portugese were annoyed at Castille-Leon-Aragon calling themselves "Spain", the idea that Spain is only this part of the iberian peninsula is an early modern concept) - so basically you'd need a dynastic POD to keep Castille and Leon from uniting and even then you still have the problem that they seem like a power bloc compared to the taifa emirates.

However, it's not really that way, under the veneer of "boot the moors out, argh!" unity there's actually a lot of intrigue going on; rebellions, murders, etc, the house of Castille-Leon was about as bad if not worse than the Plantegenets, historians I've read compare them to the Atrides basically.

One of the problems is that most of the spanish kinglets were ultimately part of the house of Castille-Leon (there was an understanding during the 12th century among the christian kings that Leon had primacy as "Emperor of Spain", obviously the caliph in Cordoba rather disagreed; this changed later as well for the christians, this is also why IOTL the Portugese were annoyed at Castille-Leon-Aragon calling themselves "Spain", the idea that Spain is only this part of the iberian peninsula is an early modern concept) - so basically you'd need a dynastic POD to keep Castille and Leon from uniting and even then you still have the problem that they seem like a power bloc compared to the taifa emirates.

However, it's not really that way, under the veneer of "boot the moors out, argh!" unity there's actually a lot of intrigue going on; rebellions, murders, etc, the house of Castille-Leon was about as bad if not worse than the Plantegenets, historians I've read compare them to the Atrides basically.
I was thinking can the Ottomans attack castille and defend Granada?

archaeogeek

Banned
I was thinking can the Ottomans attack castille and defend Granada?

But then who would defend them against the Ottomans? ;)
A part of Iberic-Morrocan diplomacy at the time was based around a sort of unstable balance of power: Portugal didn't mind so much the existence of Granada because it provided a counterweight to Castillian power, similarly Castille support Morrocco somewhat by the back door whenever Portugal tried one of its north african crusades. And part of this is that nobody, not even in desperation, either in Morrocco or Andalusia, wanted to fall under ottoman domination. It could be possible though, I guess, but would require the Ottomans expand ressources for objectives which will give them no gains instead of more juicy things like the Balkans, Egypt or, hell, the Otranto expedition :p