Effectiveness of Pillboxes in repelling invasion.

The Defense of Britain Project has a file you can load into Google Earth to see the locations of pillboxes and other fortifications. As mentioned, both the GHQ Line and Taunton Stop Line followed the Great Western Railway (which includes the Cardiff—London route) in some areas.

I hadn’t thought of the ease of transporting construction materials. The GWR does make a continuous line from Bristol and points west to London, which rivers and canals do not do. And it’s at a convenient distance from the southern coast of England to form a border between defense sectors. Any embankments would offer a good vantage line, with the railway itself forming a sort of moat covered by MG fire rather than water.

It’s a simple fact of logistics that a little brick pillbox on the GWR is a better fortification than a huge concrete bunker on the Westwall. To reduce that pillbox, the Germans would need artillery, tanks, or Stukas that they just couldn’t have enough of. The pillbox would largely be defending against infantry. German doctrine means they would mass tanks and artillery in an effort to form Schwerpunkten, so the GHQ Line could well be overrun at some points. The idea would be to have the GHQ Reserve counterattack those spearheads while the fortifications delayed the infantry.

It’s actually fortuitous that Britain constructed rather flimsy fortifications, because it means that labor and supplies were spent on better things.

Happens all the time in History. The United States spent huge sums on coastal fortifications in the 19th and 20th Centuries and scarcely any of them ever fired a shot in anger. But better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.
To be fair when the bulk of those coastal defences were built the US wasn't on the friendliest terms with the UK

That train of thought didn't stop them invading Russia ;)
Barborossa had a slightly better chance than Seelowe. Stupid lil' Austrian screwed it up (make your choice, either go north and south or center. Don't change your orders halfway thru).
Most late Axis victory PODs involved the Germans taking Stalingrad and taking the oilfields in the Caucasus.
My opinion is that this is all just BS. Germany was completely screwed from the offset. Too many dumb, corrupt Nazis screwing everything up.
And all the smart people plotting against them but somehow failing every time.
It's literally a perfect storm mixed with the greatest nightmare for all of Germany.
Like my German friend always says "Why couldn't that Austrian fool either smarten up or accidentally fall down the stairs and break his neck?"

Barborossa had a slightly better chance than Seelowe. Stupid lil' Austrian screwed it up (make your choice, either go north and south or center. Don't change your orders halfway thru).
Most late Axis victory PODs involved the Germans taking Stalingrad and taking the oilfields in the Caucasus.
My opinion is that this is all just BS. Germany was completely screwed from the offset. Too many dumb, corrupt Nazis screwing everything up.
And all the smart people plotting against them but somehow failing every time.
It's literally a perfect storm mixed with the greatest nightmare for all of Germany.
Like my German friend always says "Why couldn't that Austrian fool either smarten up or accidentally fall down the stairs and break his neck?"

This thread has actually been rather apposite for me as I am just completing an installment of the PAM TL which actually raises the use of concrete and reinforcing steel for the anti-invasion defenses rather than all weather concrete runways for the RAF.

This thread has actually been rather apposite for me as I am just completing an installment of the PAM TL which actually raises the use of concrete and reinforcing steel for the anti-invasion defenses rather than all weather concrete runways for the RAF.
Which is bad for the RAF I presume?

Yes but tanks can simply drive to where the paratroopers are (as you noted, it has to be flatland) whereas pillboxes can't. And until later in the Cold War the paratroops can't drop tanks or armored vehicles with them.

BUT...the Germans would not have had tanks. This is to stop SeaLion. Tanks would have been nonexistent or extremely limited.

Also to those saying the British wasted resources and Sea Lion had no chance, well the British did not know that. When your opponent manages to take Norway and then crumples your army and Frances in 8 weeks forcing you to evacuate your army under fire, well your view is certainly different then the view a few decades later.

Last edited: