Deferred Horizons: The Shaping of the Modern World

Opening Post
Horizon_Defferred_Banner.png

Hey Guys!

I've wanted to make a Graphics TL for a while, being inspired by great ones like These Fair Shores by @CosmicAsh and Fear Nothing but God by @Major Crimson . This is my attempt to hopefully emulate one of those, while taking a (somewhat) original concept. I want to try and avoid too many butterfly nets, while still making a world that seems familiar in some ways to us.

What's the Premise?
A 'Horizon' in the archeological sense refers to "Any artifact, art style, or other cultural trait that has extensive geographical distribution but a limited time span (Archeology Wordsmith)." Usually in the science it is only used to identify different artifacts that spread over wide cultural areas, such as a style of pottery adopted by various Neolithic cultures over a period of a few hundred years. However, this term is not limited to just objects of material culture, or to the ancient past. Blue Jeans, Cell Phones, TV, Cars, and McDonalds are representative of a 'Anglo-American-European' cultural horizon that in OTL has with the expansion of British hard and American soft power permeated into nearly every society on earth. Going further, our modern concepts of Representative Democracy, Westphalian Sovereignty, Time Zones, the Formal Economy, and most aspects of culture, government, and society are part of a spread of 'cultural horizons' originating in Western Europe in the 17th century. Most timelines treat this expansion as essentially inevitable, but that presents a highly deterministic view of history. In this timeline, Ill do my best to try and image a world that is far less culturally 'tied-together' than today.

PoD?
I won't reveal it immediately, except that it takes place in the late 17th century, and it's effects ripple very quickly around the world

Ethics
In reality, it would be unrealistic for people born 300 years after a PoD to look anything like people today or have the same names, but I don't know how to use AI face-creator stuff, so if you happen to be the mayor of a small town in middle America and happen to see your face on a wikibox, that's my bad.

If you have any questions, suggestions, or comments, feel free to let me know; I haven't fleshed out too much of the TL yet, so I'd definitely heed region-knowers on their specific knowledge, and I'd like to update on what people are interested in.

Thank you guys, hope you enjoy! (I'll try to update like once a week or so, but with college that might be tough during test seasons)

2021 Columbian Election
2021 Columbian National Assembly Election:
This was the eleventh National Assembly Election since the passing of the 1981 Consitution, and the fifth since the introduction of universal suffrage in 1999. The Vanguard Party won a majority of seats, ousting the Confederationalist Party. The Vanguard Party has dominated Columbian politics since unification, holding a plurality or majority in the National Assembly for 31/41 years.
Columbia_Election_2021.png

Columbia_Administrative_Divisions.png

Looks cool, the concept's similar to that of Atlas Altera, except the US analogue is even smaller here. :p

As for the leading powers (and cultural blocs), those flags seem to imply there's a Chinese one, an Indian one, a French one that never quite shook Jacobinism off, a British one (Columbia's flag is different from the one in the first post so, maybe it's a federalized British Commonwealth, rather than a federalized British Empire?) and... I'm not sure about that hand flag. :p

Seems very cool, I love Graphics TLs that properly diverge and give us an insight into a world totally different from our own. Looking at Columbia here and those borders to the west, I think we're in for something very unique!