Death of the Author (or not)

Okay, post-1900, but...

Beam Piper. Say he has a different agent, who doesn't die, or at least, doesn't leave Piper's finances in a shambles when he does. That (AIUI) is why Piper shot himself.

I guess this thread falls foul of the whole pre/post 1900 thing which I understand but which is also bloody annoying at times. Oh well.

I also suppose we could include different lives of authors too. So, for instance, Thomas Hardy, a writer considered to be a 19th century novelist and a 20th century poet, continues to write novels after Jude the Obscure. Would we have lost his poetry?

I once heard a claim that the early death of Georg Büchner was the biggest loss to German literature and politics.
That guy was a huge fan and said that he combined the writing skills of Heinrich Heine with the political theory skills of Karl Marx ( in a positive way).
I wouldn't go that far, but I could see him taking part in the 1848 revolution, maybe elected to the Frankfurt national assembly and eventually going into exile and write great things for decades.
Or maybe ruining Woyzeck by finishing it ...