DBWI: Study Abroad?

I'm studying in Tawantinsuyu at American University Cuzco for a semester. Can someone tell me what I might expect? My family was considering going to Cuzco for the 2008 Olympics, but decided against it after the Green Party made gas twice as expensive after signing the Edo Accord. :mad:

So, anyway, I've done some research, but has anybody actually been to South America? Any hints they could throw my way?

Hey, I know it is hard for Europeans to accept now that they are finally entering takeoff phase, but the Edo Agreement is necessary. And yes, I agree that China isn't shouldering enough of the burden, but you could wait forever for that to happen. Look at the measures that Vijayanagar and Joseon have taken! They make Europe's gas taxes look like child's play.

Anyways, I've only ever been once, and all I can say is be prepared for things to be alien. It is a very good idea not to bring any preconceived notions of civilised behaviour. If I may be allowed this bit of European chauvinism, even the Nihonese find the Tawantintsuyu strange. The food is good, though. And don't believe any of the stories, there *is* no human flesh involved, hasn't been for centuries. It's all llama, alpaca, turkey, pig, chicken and dog, with some imported buffalo and sheep. THey just like to play mindgames with foreigners.

Just remember that the Sapa Inca is God, in the Empire, and you'll be okay.

Though most people withing the Empire don't actually believe in that anymore. (Or at least not in a very serious way. They do take part on religious services)

Laws about it are kept in books just because it provides an easy excuse for imprisoning and/or banishing "difficult" people.

Yeah, I've heard stuff about the religiosity of the Incas. Still, as a Pennsylvanian going to college in Virginia, I think I'd be safe... right?

I know Christianity hasn't had a specifically prosperous history in South America, but like Joseon and Vijayanagar mentioned before, I believe the Incas are at least starting to open up to the west.

(Speaking of which, my roommate spent the last ten months in Delhi, interesting combo I thought, Puerto Rican from Philly and a rich white kid from Boston.)

Bah? Not shouldering enough of the burden? Do you know how many extra "carbon offset" taxes I'm paying this year? The petty laziness of Europeans has set them back by centuries, and now, they want to try to weasel their way out of work by having US clean up after their mess? I think not.

And as for the Sapa Inca: All hail the Son of Heaven! Wansui! Death to the false Emperor!

Yeah, I've heard stuff about the religiosity of the Incas. Still, as a Pennsylvanian going to college in Virginia, I think I'd be safe... right?

I know Christianity hasn't had a specifically prosperous history in South America, but like Joseon and Vijayanagar mentioned before, I believe the Incas are at least starting to open up to the west.

(Speaking of which, my roommate spent the last ten months in Delhi, interesting combo I thought, Puerto Rican from Philly and a rich white kid from Boston.)

I've had a couple of friends go into the State Department, and they have great things to say about the Incans. Quite frankly, your background sounds like a perfect match. Yeah, there are some punks who think that all white people are hairy savages who'll only respond to violence. But the Incan police treat them the same way that the Virginia police treat the occasional idiot who still tries to pick a fight with a Negro. Even among the racists, the fact that you're a Pennsylvanian will carry you quite far -- William Penn, James Buchannan, and all the other Pennsylvanians who fought for civil rights over the centuries get maybe even more coverage in the Incan history books than they do in some parts of the Union. And if your Puerto Rican roommate is anything like a typical Puerto Rican, I'm sure he's been playing a steady diet of Inca-Latin fusion funk music, so you'll be ready when you hit the dance clubs.

The food is good, though. And don't believe any of the stories, there *is* no human flesh involved, hasn't been for centuries. It's all llama, alpaca, turkey, pig, chicken and dog, with some imported buffalo and sheep. THey just like to play mindgames with foreigners.

Why would any human flesh be involved??? Cannivalism has been tabu in the Tawantisuyo since the dawn of their civilization. It was always seen as an horrendous practice, worth only of the uncivilised barbarians who lived in the Amazon.

A lot of people confuse because they mistake Tawantisuyu with the Anahuac, a place were the practice of eating human flesh was quite common till well advanced the XVII century.

But that's something people travelling South should always remember: never mistake somebody from Tawantisuyo with somebody from the Anahuac. Given the traditional hostility that existes between both nations since the last PanAmerican war, mistaking one with the other can be considered a serious offense. It's like calling "Chinese" a Joseani or a Nihonese!!!

Last edited: