Crusader Kings III

I'm just so tired of the LARPing content.

What do you mean by LARPing content?

I think he means that all of these updates are enhancing the RPG aspects of the game rather than the grand strategy aspects. While this is all good stuff to have added to the game I'd much rather have Republics and a better representation of centralised empires like Byzantium.

Legacy of Persia is coming but I'd rather have more Flavour Packs and fewer Event Packs and more than that have Expansions be focused on enhancing the Grand Strategy elements not the RPG side of the game

Last edited:
tbh I'm really liking tours and tournaments, but its so dumb that they have regency for everything except when I'm off fighting a war

tbh I'm really liking tours and tournaments, but its so dumb that they have regency for everything except when I'm off fighting a war

Totally agreed, you need a regency when you go on a hunting expedition within your own domain but not when you're fighting a crusade on the other side of the map. 🤔

The Dev Diary about the new university activity.

Not really sure what to think about it... Part of me is kinda disappointed because it's basically a standard new activity where you focus on studying. I'm also not really sure how realistic it's supposed to be...

I'm not against the idea of giving the player a chance to improve their starting education trait. But this doesn't necessarilly feel satisfactory.

I'm loving Tours and Tournaments, actually. The RP enhancements are a lot of fun.

Though, I set "lechery" as my reason for a grand tour, visited five vassals, and only got laid once. I was expecting to be involved in orgies or something wherever I went.

I also really wish there was a setting or mod to reduce the amount of babies you have. I don't know what to do with all these extras. My whole council is already full of my siblings or kids or uncles...

Edit: Oh, and also, the Accolade System - I have no idea what that's about or what I'm supposed to do with it even after the tooltips. However, it did make me think it would be great if you could appoint an "apprentice" to court positions (Antiquarian, Physician, Keeper of the Swans, and so on) to be the natural successor. I was in Generation 3 and realised all those spots were empty.

Last edited:
I also really wish there was a setting or mod to reduce the amount of babies you have.
Mods I've seen floating around tend to go the opposing direction... But it's definitely possible to do so by switching the Fertility values of characters.

That said, that only does that for "off-screen" baby making. If you get an event where you have the option to have sex with someone of the opposite gender, then expect a pregnancy to be announced in the next two months... Apparently, women are always in ovulation phase the moment the event shows up. Unless they already were impregnated beforehand. I don't know how often these events show up though and it's possible that can also be modded.

Lechery tour should be more active for sure. In regards to babies I find my characters have enough, but courtiers I marry to each other have decades-long marriages with no kids.

But it's definitely possible to do so by switching the Fertility values of characters.
As an experiment I once used a cheat mod to give my character's wife every negative fertility modifier I could (except "celibate" because I still wanted one or two kids) and they still pumped them out like rabbits.

Just found out that there are mods for making battles more decisive and, more importantly, disabling shattered retreat. God only knows why the latter isn't a feature when it was in CK2, but it makes wars so much more tolerable and immersive. I threw in a few more I found which disable rallying points, increase levy spawn times, and slow travel speeds slightly while increasing costs. Wars are no longer years long whack-a-moles with tens of little armies just to take two provinces, which is something I desperately needed. Seeing the war over England in the 1066 bookmark regularly drag on into the mid to late 1070s drove me up the wall a little. I tested it out a couple times with my current playset and now the duration is only 2-3 years which pretty much checks out historically. So thank the lord for small QoL mods.

Last edited:
Lechery tour should be more active for sure. In regards to babies I find my characters have enough, but courtiers I marry to each other have decades-long marriages with no kids.
I'm pretty sure unlanded courtiers have huge negative penalties for procreation. If you give them land they usually pop out children.

I'm pretty sure unlanded courtiers have huge negative penalties for procreation. If you give them land they usually pop out children.
It's not really a penalty for procreation. But the game is coded to have a limit to the number of children characters are supposed to have based on rank. The lower your rank, the less children you are likely to have.

The idea behind that limit being is that low-ranked courtiers disappear from the records if they are unimportant. Game-wise, this limits the number of characters generated and thus helps with performance.

Just found out that there are mods for making battles more decisive and, more importantly, disabling shattered retreat. God only knows why the latter isn't a feature when it was in CK2, but it makes wars so much more tolerable and immersive. I threw in a few more I found which disable rallying points, increase levy spawn times, and slow travel speeds slightly while increasing costs. Wars are no longer years long whack-a-moles with tens of little armies just to take two provinces, which is something I desperately needed. Seeing the war over England in the 1066 bookmark regularly drag on into the mid to late 1070s drove me up the wall a little. I tested it out a couple times with my current playset and now the duration is only 2-3 years which pretty much checks out historically. So thank the lord for small QoL mods.
There's a mod called Crusader Wars that (if you own Total War Atilla) lets you play out the battle in Total War

Anyway, playing the AGOT mod. Elia and Jaime died so I had Rhaegar wed Cersei. Tywin later died in battle and Cersei assassinated Tyrion so she became Lady Paramount and Queen. Her eldest daughter with Rhaegar is betrothed to Aegon and her eldest son with Rhaegar will inherit the Westerlands.

Viserys was given the Stormlands, as all Baratheons were expunged following Robert's failed rebellion. Viserys is wed to a Celtigar.

Rhaenys is wed to Willas Tyrell because she deserves happiness.

image.png

I really want a "divide spoils" feature. Like if you get called to war by an ally, and you have a claim to territory in the enemy's country, you should be able to press that claim as part of the peace. For example, I recently did a playthrough where I formed the custom kingdom of Deira (started as the Earl of Lancashire as a custom character, conquered Jorvik, gained independence from Northumbria, conquered Northumbria except Lothian which wound up as part of the Isles and then Alba). I married my heir to one of Alfred's daughters, gained that alliance. Alfred conquered East Anglia and formed England, then pressed his claim to Mercia. I had claims on Cheshire and Derby as part of the Petty Kingdom of Lancaster but I could only grab one by declaring war on Mercia at the same time as Alfred before he annexed the whole kingdom. Then I was stuck waiting for him to die (my assassination attempt failed) before I could grab Derby from his heir.

It would be super handy if, prior to all of this, I could have negotiated my entry into the conquest by saying, "yes, I want this and this and I'll help".

Of course, there really should be a mechanism for claiming foreign territory diplomatically anyway, and for relinquishing it (in another similar England game I had Lothian, but I wanted to give it to Alba for the Smooth Borders, and to do it I ended up using console commands since there was no way Alba was going to declare war on me).

Anyway, playing the AGOT mod. Elia and Jaime died so I had Rhaegar wed Cersei. Tywin later died in battle and Cersei assassinated Tyrion so she became Lady Paramount and Queen. Her eldest daughter with Rhaegar is betrothed to Aegon and her eldest son with Rhaegar will inherit the Westerlands.

Viserys was given the Stormlands, as all Baratheons were expunged following Robert's failed rebellion. Viserys is wed to a Celtigar.

Rhaenys is wed to Willas Tyrell because she deserves happiness.

image.png

Aegon with his half Lannister/half Targ halfsister wife (daughter of Cersei and Rhaegar), their heir Baelor, and Baelor's intended, Daenerys, daughter of Viserys and his Celtigar wife

image.png

Dev Diary 132 is here.

Not much. It's just a description of the new Eccentric trait, that is basically aimed to refer to people that have a method to their crazyness and aren't mentally ill. More or less.

Another features is the fact that they will officially add adoption into the game. No longer need for mods, or those mods will be updated I guess.
Adoption in-game will only be able to be done by characters that are in a same-sex marriage, childless, infertile/elderly and/or have the Compassionnate trait. You can't adopt children that already belong to a ruling family, are part of your house and not living in the realm of a dynastic relative. The AI is also coded to be more reluctant towards adoption because it would not be historically accurate otherwise for it be commonplace (noble dynasties rarely adopted). A new game rule is in place to control everything.

Dev Diary 132 is here.

Not much. It's just a description of the new Eccentric trait, that is basically aimed to refer to people that have a method to their crazyness and aren't mentally ill. More or less.

Another features is the fact that they will officially add adoption into the game. No longer need for mods, or those mods will be updated I guess.
Adoption in-game will only be able to be done by characters that are in a same-sex marriage, childless, infertile/elderly and/or have the Compassionnate trait. You can't adopt children that already belong to a ruling family, are part of your house and not living in the realm of a dynastic relative. The AI is also coded to be more reluctant towards adoption because it would not be historically accurate otherwise for it be commonplace (noble dynasties rarely adopted). A new game rule is in place to control everything.
Adoption actually sounds kind of interesting, and I have been wanting an 'eccentric' trait that isn't just 'nuts' (from an RP perspective, I like the idea of having an eccentric Court Bishop/Godi).

Wards and Wardens wasn't what I voted for, but the idea is growing on me (of course I voted for the horny option, being the man-child that I am), especially since my PC's keep dying on hunts (I can't resist attempting to take down wolves and boars by myself) and I end up playing as kids.

Frankly though I'm more interested in the later Persia flavour pack. I've been considering doing a Persia run, restoring Zoroastrianism and all that, perhaps even doing a 'Reverse Alexander' and conquering Byzantium.

Speaking of traits, I'd like some more 'mood' traits. "Optimistic" and "Pessimistic" could be fun, with modifiers affecting in-game actions. A pessimistic character would be less prone to melancholy and stress gain, for example, when bad things happen, but an optimistic character would find it easier to reduce stress and move on from traumatic events.