Covid 19 Stategy- UK- An Alternative Plan- Pure Sweden on Steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeking to avoid bringing politics inbto the thread and it's tbh present yet I want to paint an alternate reality in the present.

As we know, the UK went into lockdown on March 23rd 2020 and maybe voluntarily saw the writing on the wall and this was brought forward by a week- I recall still being in work on Monday 16th March 2020 and some were in the office until the last possible day.

Here is my alternative reality for the sake of a thread from mid March...do nothing! Perhaps even go back a couple of weeks- as we know many things were brought to a halt, some have returned but many sectors are still in a deep freeze.

The following were stopped and have not yet returned- in virtual form in some cases sure but we're talking the Real Deal:
  1. Trade Shows
  2. Conferences
  3. Exhibitions
  4. Not sure exactly how you'd classify them but things like I dunno Beer Festivals.
  5. Music Concerts.
  6. Night Clubs.
One or two have returned but limited in scope and numbers:
  1. Test Events for Sport- Football could until a couple of days ago have up to 1,000.
  2. So too I think could Rugby.
  3. The University Experience- Significantly watered down. After months of being watered down from mid March to present, Freshers is basically off in anything like a true form.
  4. Pubs, bars and restaurants- which were locked down albeit furloughed for some time and deliveries ie notably some Indian takeaways that I frequent, now have to shut at 10! Albeit can deliver after.
My proposal in this is that the Leader of the day suggests we all Keep Calm and Carry On in mid March. Keep Calm and Carry On- it is far harder to persuade people to go back rather than just carry on as normal- people adjust quickly.

No schools shut, Universities as per, Colleges also- Pret shall still flourish, so too shall public transport- should I go on.

I contend that no country, not even Sweden or Brazil- have tried this strategy. None, it would be unique- how does it play out?

No restrictions, crack on. People can wear masks, wash hands multiple times, use Hand Sanitiser if they wish- no pressure, but it's in their gift. Better yet, publish limited guidance and others can take their own precautions or lack of.

Do we for example, achieve Herd Immunity or something approaching it at least in significant Urban Centres by now? Or well on the way!
NOTE- This is NOT a political critique, not at all- merely an alternate approach to the UK's current one. One which I maintain would be unique- can be summed up as Sweden on Steroids but also maybe act like there's no Pandemic.

Over to you!

Last edited:
Perhaps yeah- I'll let Mods decide unless you are a Mod- there is a bit of Alternate History to it as the decisions taken by the world in March and April, these WILL go down in History. Like this whole ongoing Pandemic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.