Charles Manson becomes a rock star

Though his relationship with The Beach Boys, Manson is able to secure a record contract and becomes a successful rock star riding the psychedelic rock wave and doesn't commit the Tate–LaBianca murders (yet). With a mix of hippie culture, gushing media exposés of his groups, the so called family, communal living and copious references to LSD, for a moment Manson becomes a cultural icon.

What happens? A even more spectacular explosion in the 70's when the police raid his compound for drugs, the Manson cult goes global and there is a hippie cultural revolution, or nothing and Manson becomes a third rate has-been with a racist twitter account?

Seriously, though, yeah. From everything I've read about the guy, there'd be nothing to distinguish a non-murderous musical Manson from any other drug-binging, groupie-balling rock star of the late 1960s/early 1970s. Maybe the copious amounts of time spent in prison, but as long as he foregoes further criminal acts, he's probably okay.

(Unless of course, his reputation as a criminal prevents him from attaining a musical career, because no one trusts him enough to give him a contract. In which case, this whole scenario is butterflied away.)

Last edited:
For a really horrifying scenario—what if he becomes famous, releases a successful album or two, gains a following, and then has the Family commit murders?

I think at best he’d be a one hit wonder, he doesn’t have star quality looks or personality. He has a brief brush with stardom and then ends up broke and in heavy debt because he partied too much and wasted all his money.

He probably still ends up feeling wronged by life and has his followers murder some people in the music industry because he would have had different contacts ITTL.

Last edited:
Manson becomes a third rate has-been with a racist twitter account?

Maybe he can do one of those conservative protest songs like Okie From Muskogee, where the redneck narrator laments the decline of modern society...

Backyard's now a homeless shelter
Everything's gone helter-skelter

Thieves and muggers? Glad I'm packin'
Give those punks a damn good wackin'

Which style of rock? There were quite a few. I picture him with a wooden guitar, though that may because of Hinkley playing one in Assassins while singing a song with Squeaky Fromme.

Manson was destined towards a rendezvous with darkness. The man was damaged goods before he was even, well, a full grown man. I'd imagine he'd have severe drug problems throughout his career, would surround himself with shady people like Hells Angels, and would have all kinds of very serious allegations against him by the time we reached the modern era. Keep in mind, Manson likely only lived to his (relatively) advanced age because he was in a prison environment. If he somehow broke through and found stardom for his music (I can only imagine what that would even sound like - I feel like it'd evolve in the 1970s into something akin to psychedelic country rock with a much darker edge to it then you saw from, say, The Band) he'd probably be dead with a needle hanging from his arm by the 1990s.

Manson was destined towards a rendezvous with darkness. The man was damaged goods before he was even, well, a full grown man. I'd imagine he'd have severe drug problems throughout his career, would surround himself with shady people like Hells Angels, and would have all kinds of very serious allegations against him by the time we reached the modern era. Keep in mind, Manson likely only lived to his (relatively) advanced age because he was in a prison environment. If he somehow broke through and found stardom for his music (I can only imagine what that would even sound like - I feel like it'd evolve in the 1970s into something akin to psychedelic country rock with a much darker edge to it then you saw from, say, The Band) he'd probably be dead with a needle hanging from his arm by the 1990s.
Pretty much agree but I doubt he’d see the 80’s.