Challenge: Make Motorcycles More Popular in the US

At that time, AMF owned H-D, and they tried everything wheeled for sales in the '70s, including golf carts and snowmobiles, even a Moped, that was AMF but not H-D branded, but from another company they bought the bones from, Roadmaster.

In the early '60s, H-D made the Topper, but they were expensive and not as good as Vespa and other Italian makes.
Don't remember the Topper, remember the Cushman Eagle and the Lambretta, but Topper is a blank.

marathag

Banned
Don't remember the Topper, remember the Cushman Eagle and the Lambretta, but Topper is a blank.
Harley-Davidson_20Topper.jpg

To give the poor a transport option between needing public transit and a car.
Less land devoted to parking, you can put multiple bikes in the spot one car would take or even keep a bike inside your home.

Basically the benefits of a bicycle with a motor.

In which case you don't want motorbikes. You want scooters, mopeds, that kind of thing and it is interesting how the threat has already drifted in that direction.

The death of the sidecar is illustrative. Once it was a way of making a motorbike a family vehicle. Give it some carrying capacity. But once people could afford real cars the side car has largely disappeared and motorbikes are mostly toys.

kernals12

Banned
I think climate has much to do with America's lack of fondness for motorcycles and scooters (and our love of air conditioning, domed sports arenas, and indoor shopping malls). We have hotter summers and colder winters which really limits when it's comfortable to be outdoors.

At that time, AMF owned H-D, and they tried everything wheeled for sales in the '70s, including golf carts and snowmobiles, even a Moped, that was AMF but not H-D branded, but from another company they bought the bones from, Roadmaster.

In the early '60s, H-D made the Topper, but they were expensive and not as good as Vespa and other Italian makes.

AMF never owned Harley Davidson on the 1st of January 1969, Harley Davidson and AMF entered into a merger.
In 1981 Harley Davidson bought there way out of the merger.

marathag

Banned
AMF never owned Harley Davidson on the 1st of January 1969, Harley Davidson and AMF entered into a merger.

In 1981 Harley Davidson bought there way out of the merger.

Compare with the Daimler-Chrysler Merger.
It was not a merger of Equals. How to pronounce the name? The jokesters said the Chrysler was silent

AMF told H-D to jump, they got to ask 'How high?' or in Harley's case, how many workers to fire, and how many shortcuts to take.
H-D was broke in 1969, AMF had plenty of Bowling $$$

It was not a merger of equals.

Compare with the Daimler-Chrysler Merger.
It was not a merger of Equals. How to pronounce the name? The jokesters said the Chrysler was silent

AMF told H-D to jump, they got to ask 'How high?' or in Harley's case, how many workers to fire, and how many shortcuts to take.
H-D was broke in 1969, AMF had plenty of Bowling $$$

It was not a merger of equals.
You are totally wrong

I think climate has much to do with America's lack of fondness for motorcycles and scooters (and our love of air conditioning, domed sports arenas, and indoor shopping malls). We have hotter summers and colder winters which really limits when it's comfortable to be outdoors.
A quick googling implies that the countries with the highest motorbike usage are
Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia...

To give the poor a transport option between needing public transit and a car.
Less land devoted to parking, you can put multiple bikes in the spot one car would take or even keep a bike inside your home.

Basically the benefits of a bicycle with a motor.

Which are still death traps in the city. In the country you can stay to the side in the gravel part of the road and out of the way of cars. You can't do that in the cities.

In which case you don't want motorbikes. You want scooters, mopeds, that kind of thing and it is interesting how the threat has already drifted in that direction.

The death of the sidecar is illustrative. Once it was a way of making a motorbike a family vehicle. Give it some carrying capacity. But once people could afford real cars the side car has largely disappeared and motorbikes are mostly toys.

In Asia scooters are family vehicles.

I've seen a family of five on one bike

Because of their ease of use I've seen what look to be 10 year olds driving too so I'd go that route.

No license under 50cc or something and every kid wants a scooter instead of a bicycle. When they grow up they'll prefer two wheels

In Asia scooters are family vehicles.

I've seen a family of five on one bike

Because of their ease of use I've seen what look to be 10 year olds driving too so I'd go that route.

No license under 50cc or something and every kid wants a scooter instead of a bicycle. When they grow up they'll prefer two wheels

I have seen my share of potential multi-generational automotive tragedies. China is illustrative there. Once they could afford cars they dropped the bikes (and motor bikes).