Challenge: Feminist Female President late 70s USA

Betty Friedan as POTUS in the 1970's ?!? Um, IMNSHO, NEUMA or No Flippin' Way.
You'd need a parade of ASB's doing major brainwashing to give her the personality transplant from activist to effective politico. She was shrill and a pain in the ass even to other feminists, much less the general population.
As Ralph Nader's found out, ferocity and dedication to principle only goes so far in politics. You could argue Betty reps a bigger constituency. Her idea of salesmanship was to whip out a bigger hammer if the smaller one failed.

As a dyed-in-the-wool liberal Democrat, I wouldn't vote for her, then or now. What snowball's chance in a lit blast furnace does she have with anyone independent or conservative in the 1970's?

I don't mean to be shrill or a party-pooper. There's a ton of feminists that should have had a bigger audience and stage to work with. Betty Friedan wasn't a politician. We've mentioned Barbara Jordan.

what about Geralinde Ferraro?

On her own or after serving as Mondale's VP?

On the GOP side, I lament that Nancy Landon Kassebaum never threw her hat into the ring (She was the first woman ever elected to a full term in the Senate without her husband having previously served in Congress). I also lament that GHW Bush didn't select her as his VP in '88.

On her own or after serving as Mondale's VP?

On the GOP side, I lament that Nancy Landon Kassebaum never threw her hat into the ring (She was the first woman ever elected to a full term in the Senate without her husband having previously served in Congress). I also lament that GHW Bush didn't select her as his VP in '88.

Ferraro might be viable in the 80's, But the challenge was to get this done by the late seventies. A 1977 Carter/Jordan ticket with Carter getting killed in '79 gets it done in the late 1970s is more plausible than any other POD presented so far, though I like my version where Carter gets a second term and Jordan takes over in '81.

If it's Jordan in '79 she will lose in 1980 unless she has a successful Eagle Claw.

Let''s imagine her speech in 1980 after her Eagle Claw:

"My fellow Americans: Last night seven US aircraft including five transport helicopters carrying the better part of the entire United States Air Force commando team penetrated Iranian airspace and engaged enemy forces near the Tehran embassy. All but seven of the hostages were rescued in the and it is believed that ten of the Delta Force soldiers were either killed or wounded in the operation. One of the five transport helicopters was damaged on the ground and did not return. Our celebration at this success must be tempered by our shared grief with the 17 families who lost loved ones.I would also request that any journalist or other civilian who has information about how we performed this operation refrain from from issuing any reports for two days until after all members have been debriefed and the White House issues its official report . Let this whole operation be a warning to those who would try to follow Iran's example. We will not negotiate with hostage takers or other terrorists. We will do as much as we can to thwart your objectives and protect our citizens. We are willing to face the loss of our soldiers and civilian servants to thwart your aims. It is better that some of our brave servants are lost than that we become cowards who give in to your demands. Consider this a fair warning. In the meantime. let us both mourn and celebrate. Flags will be at half-staff, and I'm sure the people of the United states will celebrate in their own ways without any official recommendation. And as I said earlier, I will issue an official account of what happened in two days. I would like to thank the people of the United states for their support in these uncertain times when we lost President Carter to a madman's bullets and faced so serious a foreign crisis."

Oh man. Hugest liberal wet dream ever! A black lesbian feminist president in 1979. Jordan is the one and only. But who would be First Lady. I think it would be a bad move to put Jordan's "partner", Nancy Earl, in that role. I think it would be better to hire a male "White House Host" to take that role. But if Jordan faced Reagan or HW Bush in 1980 don't you think her relationship with Nancy Earl might be brought up?

Naah, lets just say that GHW gets the nomination and no one much cares about Earl. The public cares only about how badass Jordan was in Iran. Then Jordan gets to lick Bush twice over in 1980.

Of course they could vote. However, there were still a lot of old-fashioned women who didn't believe that women should hold that much authority. Granted, the younger women didn't believe that so much and there were quite a lot of them, but the problem still stands.
There's also the fact that not every feminist would vote for a woman just because she's a woman. In recent years, a lot of women who've run for high offices were controversial among feminists.

I don't believe that a black female vice presidential candidate would have been viable in the 1970s. But I'm willing to go along with it. Black lesbian president with a disability. I'd be happier with a timeline that doesn't kill Carter, because he is such a good ex-president. Ex-president is the role he was born for.

What the hell is the role of an ex-president?:confused:

I mean, yeah they can influence politics sometimes, but... that's just bizarre.