Cadavera Vero Innumera

Wow, I guess I hadn't seen this timeline before. You'll probably start getting more people interested now that they see its a two-pager (and thus more likely to have an actual timeline instead of just musings). Also, while I love your latin title for the timeline, and it is artistic, you are more likely to grab people's attention if the title is the topic of the timeline. I don't know what would sound catchy and respectable at the same time... The East Falls... Barbarians Take Constantinople... I'm not one to help you figure out a good title, but I will say you'll probably get more people clicking on the thread if they know what the timeline is about just by scanning the list of threads from the front page.

There is a lot to digest here, so I'll probably be reading this off and on for a while until I read it all. Hope you don't mind. :) Good work though!

EDIT: By the way, what is the official POD?

The main POD is the fact that Attila doesn't die of a nosebleed (one of the most humorous deaths in history, in my opinion), but the first divergence is that Theodoric I doesn't die at the Battle of Catalaunian Fields, which results in some Visigothic butterflies.

The phrase "cadavera vero innumera" means "truly countless bodies," which was a reference to the aforementioned battle, where, even though the Huns lost, the casualties were horrendous, so I think it's an accurate name for a timeline in which the Huns continue to reek havoc for another decade. A name I gave the part of the timeline after the end of the Roman Empires (from 476-500) was "Sic Transit Gloria Mundi," which translates to "thus passes the glory of the world"

I would love to muse about how the different Gothic cultures would diverge assuming they hold up for awhile. You'd have the Hispanic Visigoths developing seperately from the Hellenic Ostrogoths, with Italy in between them, making convergence difficult.

Hnau

Banned
Those are beautiful names. They truly are. But its simple marketing if you want your thread to be more popular, to get more comments and suggestions. Factors that will draw an audience to your timeline:

- The more replies you have, the more it will interest people based on length.
- (There are some people who feel weary reading long threads, and who only read short ones. I believe these are in the minority, however.)
- If you have an attachment, people will notice the paperclip image next to your thread, and you will draw the attention of those that like to look at maps. From this point, depending on the quality and originality of your map, a percentage of those viewers will actually read your thread and reply.
- If a friend or popular member of the forum posts a thread, it is most likely to get read. (That rhymes...)
- If a friend or popular member of the forum is the last to reply to a thread, someone might click on your thread to see why they liked it.

But the most important:
- Do you choose an artistic and 'asthetically pleasing' name, a cultured title such as that you have chosen? This will draw those that like timelines that take themselves seriously (a minority).
- Do you choose a title that makes the purpose of the timeline known, attracting those that have little patience and want to get to the heart of the idea (a majority, I believe)? The Oregon War. The Nazis Win. King Washington. Napoleon Dies Early. etc. etc.
- Is your title long? If its long enough, it will get noticed, but some might be annoyed. If it is really short, it will also get noticed, but you will annoy your readers as well. If its medium-sized, some might not notice it amongst all the threads. Its hard to say what the length of the title will do for you.

Also, the first sentence/paragraph of your thread is crucial, because when you put your arrow over the thread title, you can read it straight from the board. So if you have an artistic title, a straightforward first paragraph might be key.

You might know all of this already, you might not, but it seems like you want more of an audience, so there is my assistance for any future timeline you might write. :D

506:
The Hephthalite Tegin in northern Persia allows the construction of a Nestorian academy in Ctesiphon [8]
The Visigoths manage to capture Vienna [Vienne] and Vesontio [Besançon], but the advance of both armies is halted at mountain passes near Octodurus [Martigny] and Ebrodunum [Embrun], respectively; Godegisel personally leads the Burgundian army preventing the Visigothic army in the south from passing through the Alps
John II succeeds Palladius as Patriarch of Antioch
The Alemanni defeat the Vandali at the Battle of Panormus [Palermo] and are able to capture the rest of Sicilia
A naval stalemate in the Mare Tyrrhenum [Tyrrehnian Sea] prevents a planned Burgundian invasion of Sardinia
507:
The Burgundians are able to land an army on Sardinia; Gundobad besieges the city of Olbia
The Mauri sack Cartenae [Ténès] and Caesarea [Cherchell]
The Franks launch a surprise attack on the Bavari, attacking their outposts at Augusta Vindelicum [Augsburg] and Castra Regina [Regensburg]
The Visigoths manage to capture Ebrodunum [Embrun] and move on to reach another stalemate in the Alps near the city of Segusio [Susa]
508:
Peter IV succeeds Athanasius II as Patriarch of Alexandria
After the fall of Olbia and other Burgundian victories, Gundobad attacks the last Vandali holdout in Sardinia, Calaris [Cagliari]
The Visigothic army breaks the impasse at Octodurus [Martigny] and advances through the mountain passes, breaking out into the Po Valley and quickly capturing Novaria [Novara]
The Franks defeat the Bavari at Bergium [Bamberg] and Galaegia [Dessau], forcing the Bavari into the region of Boiohaemum [Bohemia]
Numidians sack Lambaesis [near modern Batna] and Capsa [Gafsa]
509:
Numidians capture Tacape [Gabès], cutting the Vandali off from Tripolitana [coastal western Libya]
The Visigoths already in the Po Valley move west and take Augusta Taurinorum [Turin]; they continue west and defeat the Burgundian army preventing the other Visigothic army from capturing Segusio [Susa]
The Burgundians manage to secure a peace with the Vandali [9], and Gundobad brings his army back to the Italian mainland and marches his army north to aid Godegisel against the Visigoths
The Franks halt their advance at the Sudeti Montes [Sudetes] and make peace with the Bavari
Basiliscus II seizes Leptis Magna [Al Khums], now separated from the remainder of the Vandali kingdom
510:
Chilperic II establishes a permanent capital at Colonia Agrippina [Cologne]
Callinicus I succeeds Euphemius as Patriarch of Constantinople [10]
The Vandali are still having trouble with the Mauri and Numidians, losing the cities of Girba [Djerba], Bagae [somewhere in modern Algeria], and Rusuccuru [Dellys]
The Visigoths capture Mediolanum [Milan], but face the Burgundians in battle a few miles northwest of Dertona [Tortona]; the combined Burgundian forces defeat the Visigoths, but in battle Godegisel is killed, and Italia is now united under one king
Ægyptus captures Tripolis [Tripoli] and Sabrata [Sabratha]
-------------------

[8] The Hephthalites view Nestorianism as a way to counter cultural influence from the miaphysites in Armenia and Ægyptus, who have been seeking to take advantage of the Sassanids' fall
[9] The Vandali (even with the Visigoths) don't have enough of a navy to recapture Corsica, Sardinia, or Sicilia, and they are worried about the Mauri and Numidians back in Africa
[10] Callinicus will begin making the first overtures to Roma over an end to the Acacian Schism

511:
The Visigoths capture Placentia [Piacenza] but are halted before they reach Cremona
Thrasamund is assassinated and succeeded by his cousin, Hilderic
Gundobad enters negotiation with the Visigoths [11]
Due to waning Sassanid power, the Lakhmid kingdom of Arabs has little support, so the Himyarite supported kingdom of Kindah invades and destroys the capital city of al-Hirah
512:
Mons Vesuvius erupts, but luckily (relatively speaking), many had left the area for lands further south when the Alemanni invaded
Alaric II agrees to a peace with Gundobad, receiving over 2/3 of what used to be Chilperic's territory
Callinicus I's efforts to end the Acacian Schism succeed, and Constantinople is once again in communion with Roma
Symmachus dies, but instead of recognizing Laurentius as Pope or choosing another anti-Pope, Anastasius decides to instead adopt miaphysitism; Anastasius sends an envoy to Basiliscus II requesting an alliance
513:
Childeric II dies, converting to Catholicism on his deathbed; his kingdom is divided between his three sons, with Dagobert ruling from Colonia Agrippina [Cologne], Clovis ruling from Moguntiacum [Mainz], and Munderic ruling from Augusta Vindelicum [Augsburg]
Ægyptus fends off a Blemmyes invasion and, when Basiliscus counterattacks, cuts off the nation from the Flumen Nilus [Nile River] and pushes it into the eastern desert
Bolgars descend out of the steppes [12] and raid Ostrogothic territory, looting the city of Dorostorum [Silistra]
514:
Langobardi king Tato is assassinated by his nephew, Waccho [13]; Tato's son, Ildichis, goes to Rugia in exile
Before he can mount a proper defense against the invading Bolgars, Cato is faced with the rebellion of a powerful general, Vitaleiam [14]
When Kavadh refuses to let his son, Anushirwan [15], launch an anti-Mazdaki campaign, the clergy and many devout Zoroastrians rise up in rebellion, wishing to install Anushirwan to the throne; the anti-Mazdaki forces quickly take control of Perse [Fars]
515:
Bolgars cross the Danuvius [Danube] and begin to settle in the former Roman diocese of Scythia [Dobruja]; the terrorize the cities of the region, raiding Noviodunum [Isaccea], Tomis [Constanta], and Aegyssus [Tulcea]
Vitaleiam gains major support in the regions of former Achaea, which were heavily settled by veterans of the Achaean War; Cato barely manages to survive an attempted assassination by a group of pro-Vitaleiam nobles angry at him for his lack of support for Arianism
Anti-Mazdaki forces take control of the majority of Persia-proper; many Mazdakis, including Kavadh and Mazdak, flee to the Sassanid territories south of the Mare Persicum [Persian Gulf] while those that remain up north are often massacred
-------------------

[11] Earlier, Gundobad hadn't cared that much about the war with the Visigoths, because if something went wrong then Chilperic would be the one that would directly suffer, but now that he owns northern Italia, he wants to cut his losses and keep what he can
[12] The later migration of the Huns back to the steppes delays the Bolgars' entrance into the Balkans
[13] This happened in 510 in OTL
[14] Vitaleiam (an ATL character) won popularity during the war against Achaea; he feels that Cato has become too much like the Romans, and so he revolts in order to return Ostrogothia to its olden ways
[15] In OTL, he would succeed his father in 531 as Khosrau I

Very very cool.

You might want to do a recap post which includes the name of each kingdom, who rules it and the ethno-religious composition. With all the names, it's hard to follow who is doing what to whom, particularly in the old East Roman empire. Also: what's cooking wth Axum? They are approaching the hight of their power, and would likely be close alles with a miaphisite Egypt (you've also got miaphisite Nubian kingdoms). Close cooperation between these kingdoms would make conquest difficult for the Muslims, since the Egyptians actually welcomed them to get out from under chalcedonian control. Mohammed runs a serious risk of being butterflied, though keeping him around might be fun anyway.

I like the TL: it's a period which isn't often done and has lots of possibilities.

Keep it up.

Very very cool.

You might want to do a recap post which includes the name of each kingdom, who rules it and the ethno-religious composition. With all the names, it's hard to follow who is doing what to whom, particularly in the old East Roman empire. Also: what's cooking wth Axum? They are approaching the hight of their power, and would likely be close alles with a miaphisite Egypt (you've also got miaphisite Nubian kingdoms). Close cooperation between these kingdoms would make conquest difficult for the Muslims, since the Egyptians actually welcomed them to get out from under chalcedonian control. Mohammed runs a serious risk of being butterflied, though keeping him around might be fun anyway.

I like the TL: it's a period which isn't often done and has lots of possibilities.

Keep it up.

Axum will probably ally with Ægyptus, but butterflies haven't really reached Axum yet. That said, Axum will probably still invade Himyar (located in OTL Yemen) in 425 as it did in OTL and establish a presence in Arabia. Kindah was a vassal kingdom of Himyar, and in OTL it fell apart once Himyar was conquered. With the Lakhmids also fallen (thanks to the defeat of the Sassanids by the Hephthalites), eastern Arabia is going to be very disunited for a time until a new power can extend its influence.

I probably have Islam come about as OTL, because I think it would be interesting to see how differently these ATL countries will deal with OTL occurrences. So, you can expect to still see invasions of Arabs, Vikings, Avars, Seljuks, Mongols, etc., but how those invasions influence Europe will probably be very different.

So, modified butterfly effect: interesting. Will there be any TTL euivalent to Belisarius (a militarily gifted Dux of Thrace for example)? Also, is Christianization of Ireland still happening as per OTL (gradual spread of the faith and total conversion sometime in the sixth century)? The Irish played a large role in starting monasteries in Western Europe, the most significant example of which would be Saint Gaul's in Switzerland. How will this be received in the very different Europe you've got here? If Gallic Britany survives, this could be a natural point of contact for the Irish, and could result in a more Celtic form of western Christianity.

Personally, I always found it frustrating that the Burgundians just kind of vanished historically. Wonder if some art of Italy will be called "Burgundy" instead of France.

Keep it up.

So, modified butterfly effect: interesting. Will there be any TTL euivalent to Belisarius (a militarily gifted Dux of Thrace for example)? Also, is Christianization of Ireland still happening as per OTL (gradual spread of the faith and total conversion sometime in the sixth century)? The Irish played a large role in starting monasteries in Western Europe, the most significant example of which would be Saint Gaul's in Switzerland. How will this be received in the very different Europe you've got here? If Gallic Britany survives, this could be a natural point of contact for the Irish, and could result in a more Celtic form of western Christianity.

Personally, I always found it frustrating that the Burgundians just kind of vanished historically. Wonder if some art of Italy will be called "Burgundy" instead of France.

Keep it up.

If I do include a Belisarius analogue, I'll probably try to make it more original than just an Ostrogothic version of him. Maybe a Vandal who revives his kingdom, maybe a Sassanid who returns his empire to glory, I haven't decided yet.

Saint Patrick is around early enough so that he's not butterflied away. The survival of Syagrius's duchy and its encroachment into Britannia could mean that Celtic Christianity won't develop at all, with better connection to the rest of Europe. Or, alternately, the Britons might look negatively on the Roman successor state for whatever reason, and thus refuse to adhere to the same Christianity (I'm assuming that Syagrius and his successors would be Catholic, but I'm not entirely sure). If that happens, the Pope probably won't like it very much, considering Catholics already have to deal with two other 'heresies' (both of the Gothic tribes, the Vandali, and the Langobardi Arian, while the Ægyptians and Armenians are miaphysites).

As for Burgundy, in OTL Lombardy is named after the Lombards (called their Latin name, Langobardi, in ATL), so perhaps some part of northern Italy will be called Burgundia. Also, OTL Burgundy may be called Gothia or something, I really have no idea, considering I don't even know what'll occur in ten years, let alone what places will be called in centuries.

If I do include a Belisarius analogue, I'll probably try to make it more original than just an Ostrogothic version of him. Maybe a Vandal who revives his kingdom, maybe a Sassanid who returns his empire to glory, I haven't decided yet.

Saint Patrick is around early enough so that he's not butterflied away. The survival of Syagrius's duchy and its encroachment into Britannia could mean that Celtic Christianity won't develop at all, with better connection to the rest of Europe. Or, alternately, the Britons might look negatively on the Roman successor state for whatever reason, and thus refuse to adhere to the same Christianity (I'm assuming that Syagrius and his successors would be Catholic, but I'm not entirely sure). If that happens, the Pope probably won't like it very much, considering Catholics already have to deal with two other 'heresies' (both of the Gothic tribes, the Vandali, and the Langobardi Arian, while the Ægyptians and Armenians are miaphysites).

As for Burgundy, in OTL Lombardy is named after the Lombards (called their Latin name, Langobardi, in ATL), so perhaps some part of northern Italy will be called Burgundia. Also, OTL Burgundy may be called Gothia or something, I really have no idea, considering I don't even know what'll occur in ten years, let alone what places will be called in centuries.

Well, you'll probably still get Celtic Christianity no matter what the Siagrians do. Ireland was pretty isolated and the rites developed in this context. The Catholics didn't regard them as heretics per sey: the disagreement was mainly over the rite used and the method of calculating Easter. Given the real honest-to-God live-and-kicking heresies they've got going on, these issues may be seen as unimportant. Or conversely the Pope might decide that the heresies require even more intense uniformity. That's entirely your call.

Looking forward to more.

516:
Forces loyal to Cato put down an attempted pro-Vitaleiam uprising in Tavium [near modern Yuzgat], another region heavily populated by veterans
Roderic succeeds Alaric II as King of the Visigoths
Cato's army is defeated by Vitaleiam's outside of Pella
The Bolgars continue to move south, halting their migration near the city of Marcianopolis [Devnya]
517:
Anushirwan decides not to pursue the Mazdakis into Arabia after receiving word that the Hephthalite Tegin to the north might be amassing troops near the border in order to take advantage of the situation
Godomar succeeds Gundobad as King of Italia
After suffering another defeat near Serrae [Sérres], Cato offers a deal with the invading Bolgars: he wouldn't oppose their settlement in northeastern Thrace and would pay them a moderate tribute annually, but in exchange the Bolgars would have to serve in the Ostrogothic army
The Saxon kingdom of Norsex [16] captures the city of Eboracum [York], conquering the Briton kingdom of Ebrauc
518:
Using an army that includes a large number of Bolgar mercenaries, Cato is able to defeat Vitaleiam in the Battle of Philippopolis [Plovdiv]; Cato has Vitaleiam executed
Waccho receives word that Ildichis may be assembling forces in order to claim the throne; he demands that the Rugii turn him over under threat of invasion
Roderic launches a campaign against the Vasconians [Basques]
Under pressure from Italia, Alemanni king Gibuld converts from Paganism to Catholicism
519:
When no one takes action to turn Ildichis over, Waccho leads an army into Rugia
Gibuld is assassinated by his still-Pagan son and heir, Leuthari; Leuthari begins exiling, arresting, or executing any Alemanni who have converted to Christianity
Waccho captures Domavia [Gradina], but later hears that forces loyal to Ildichis have risen up in Praevalitana [more or less modern Montenegro] [17]
Rhegium [Reggio Calabria] revolts against Leuthari's pro-Pagan policies; Leuthari launches a hard crack down against Catholics in the city, going so far as to demolish Rhegium's cathedral [18]
520:
John I succeeds Peter IV as Patriarch of Alexandria
Godomar demands that Leuthari cease his anti-Christian persecution and rebuild the cathedral in Rhegium; Leuthari basically tells the Burgundians to mind their own business
While Waccho attempts to move towards Ildichis to the south, he is ambushed by Rugii chieftains whom he happened to anger with his invasion; the Battle of Municipium [Pljevlja] is an easy Langobardi victory, but it prompts more Rugii chieftains to join the war again Waccho
Clashes between local forces supporting either Waccho and Ildichis begin occurring throughout Praevalitana [approx. Montenegro], Dardania [approx. central Serbia], or northern Epirus [approx. Albania]
Godomar sends an army in Alemannia to unseat Leuthari, and the Pope calls all Catholics under his rule to revolt against their Pagan overlord
-------------------

[16] With the destruction of Sussex by the Novioduni, this is the only Saxon kingdom in Britannia
[17] It turns out that, when Ildichis heard that Waccho was calling for his extradition, he snuck back into Langobardi territory while making it appear as if he had remained, hoping that Waccho would only make enemies with the Rugii who couldn't turn him over even if they tried
[18] Previously, Leuthari had only been punishing Alemanni who had 'abandoned the old ways,' but now he's punishing Latins for being Catholic

Also, a small recon (or, rather, correction of some typos:eek:). From 498 to 510, I accidentally referred to Chilperic by his brother's name (Godegisel), and in 510 I accidentally called Frankish king Childeric II by the name Chilperic (why must they have such similar names!:mad:). If you were paying close enough attention to the timeline that you actually noticed the inconsistencies, congratulations! You get an imaginary cookie!:p

521:
John I begins sending missionaries southwards, in the hopes of converting the Nubian kingdoms (Nobatia, Makuria, and Alodia) to Christianity, or more specifically, miaphysitism
Godomar's army is largely unopposed as it makes its way through Alemannia; it's not until the city of Venusia [Venosa] that Godomar engages in battle with the Alemanni, and he wins a crushing victory
Meanwhile, Leuthari himself is leading a small force in putting down a rebellion in Centuripae [Centuripe] when he is killed by a (secretly) Christian member of his personal guard; the remaining Pagan Alemanni are all either exiled, executed, or converted, and Godomar chooses an Alemanni noble named Vaefred [19] to begin the next Alemanni dynasty
Rugii capture Viminacium [Kostolac], but to the south, Waccho defeats a rather large pro-Ildichis army near Ulpiana [near modern Gracanica], but his forces take severe casualties in the process
522:
Roderic uncovers an assassination plot by Rutilus, a chieftain awarded with land centered around the city of Augustodunum [Autun] for his service in the war against the Burgundians; he is suspected of colluding with the Novioduni and is executed [20]
The new Himyarite king, Dhu Nuwas, begins persecuting Christians [21]
Waccho and Ildichis clash in the Scardus Mons [Sar Mountains], neither side gaining a clear victory
Julian I succeeds John II as Patriarch of Antioch
523:
Lucius II succeeds Laurentius as Catholic Pope
Dhu Nuwas massacres the Christian population of Najran
Ildichis's forces finally manage to defeat Waccho in battle and end the Langobardi Civil War; unfortunately, the Rugii who invaded in the north know that Ildichis's source of manpower is nearly depleted, forcing Ildichis to accept the loss of territory
Lucius II begins pressuring Cato to convert the Bolgars to Christianity [22]
524:
Roderic ends his failed invasion of the Vasconians [Basques] [23]
Munderic dies and his territory is annexed by his brother, Clovis; Dagobert protests not receiving any territory, but Clovis appeases his brother by agreeing to aid him in conquering the Saxons
Cato caves to the Pope's request...sort of; both Catholic and Arian missionaries are sent to Bolgar territory, sometimes even directly competing for the same converts
A Numidian tribe known as the Gaetulians come to dominate over Aurasium and Capsa
525:
Axum launches an invasion of Himyar
The Daisan, a tributary of the Euphrates, severely floods Edessa [Sanliurfa] to the point where some of the city's walls are broken through; Basiliscus II begins a major reconstruction effort
Dagobert invades the Saxons, capturing the cities of Tulisurgium [Schulenburg], Tuliphurdum [Verden], and Phabiranum [Bremen]
The Gaetulians launches an invasion of Vandalia; the cities of Sitifis [Sétif] and Constantine [Qusantina] are razed
-------------------

[19] Vaefred had been a harsh critic of Leuthari's Christian persecution and had been forced into exile because of it
[20] Roderic will eventually become very paranoid; he will begin to mistrust the various autonomous chieftains and will set out on a campaign of centralization
[21] Dhu Nuwas is Jewish, and he feels that, because Christian countries persecute Jews, his country will now persecute Christians (this happened in OTL)
[22] Lucius II is actually testing the Ostrogoths; he has always been wary of the alliance that his predecessor had with the Arian kingdom, so he is trying to see if, first of all, Cato will actually heed his request, and second of all, whether Cato will convert them to Catholicism or Arianism
[23] Roderic blames the failure of the campaign on traitors in the nobility; in reality, his paranoia kept him from sending prominent (a.k.a. competent) generals out of the war so that they wouldn't gain glory, and thus be able to gain popular support in a usurpation

Map of Europe coming up (hopefully) soon.

*Sigh*...no comments?:(

I decided to try my hand at Paint.NET with this map. What do you think?

525L.png

Truly an excellent map.

*doffs hat.

Question: With this TTL's version of Egypt as the last bastion of East Roman Culture, has there been any attempts to sort of legitimize themselves with the illusion of restoring the Roman way or have they gone off in their own orbit?

Last edited:
Truly an excellent map.

*doffs hat.

Very good map!

Ok, now THAT is a map.

Thanks!:D It took me forever though, but that's mostly because I didn't have that much of an idea what I was doing. Thank god I took Computer Art last semester, because without experience in Photoshop I wouldn't have any idea how to use layers.

Question: With this TTL's version of Egypt as the last bastion of East Roman Culture, has there been any attempts to sort of legitimize themselves with the illusion of restoring the Roman way or have they gone off in their own orbit?

First of all, with me being an OCD grammar Nazi:eek:, I have to point out that "this TTL" is redundant.

Back on topic: Basiliscus, and then his nephew Armatus, had considered the Eastern Romans the ones who had sold out to the Sassanids. When Basiliscus II became Basileus, he was searching for an alliance with the Burgundians against the Ostrogoths. If that had succeeded, he would have played the 'revive the Empire' card, but when Constantinople went back under the sway of Rome, he and the rest of the country started to distance themselves from all things Roman. I can easily see Coptic replacing Greek as the lingua franca, but that will probably be delayed so long as they are allied with Achaea.

Valdemar II

Banned
Back on topic: Basiliscus, and then his nephew Armatus, had considered the Eastern Romans the ones who had sold out to the Sassanids. When Basiliscus II became Basileus, he was searching for an alliance with the Burgundians against the Ostrogoths. If that had succeeded, he would have played the 'revive the Empire' card, but when Constantinople went back under the sway of Rome, he and the rest of the country started to distance themselves from all things Roman. I can easily see Coptic replacing Greek as the lingua franca, but that will probably be delayed so long as they are allied with Achaea.

Are you sure Egypt had a rather large Greek community including most of the Egyptian upper class and it was the lingua franca of the East, while Coptic was a locale dialect which more or less only spoken in Egypt and not in the other territories, beside with the fall of Asia Minor and Thrace to the Goths, I could see large nummers of Greek speaking refugees moving to the Egyptian empire. I wouldn't be surpised if the Nile Delta would turn majority Greek in with Coptic becoming a rural languages as Gallic did in Gaul, which will slowly disappear.