Bentsen wins in 1988, Republicans win in 1996.

This is a spinoff of my earlier Dukakis thread. Bentsen was more experienced, a better campaigner, and unlike Dukakis, had very large balls. He wins in with Dukakis as VP to satiate the liberal wing of the party, is reelected in 1992 (I'm still working on how) and then the Republican candidate wins in 1996. I'm trying to get a two term Reagan, then a two term Bentsen, then a Republican like Dole, Lugar, McCain, whomever.

This is a spinoff of my earlier Dukakis thread. Bentsen was more experienced, a better campaigner, and unlike Dukakis, had very large balls. He wins in with Dukakis as VP to satiate the liberal wing of the party, is reelected in 1992 (I'm still working on how) and then the Republican candidate wins in 1996. I'm trying to get a two term Reagan, then a two term Bentsen, then a Republican like Dole, Lugar, McCain, whomever.

Yeah but he was an old conservative Texan who probably couldn't win in the primaries. I imagine he could beat Bush, but it's the primaries that pose the problem for him.

1992 should be easy enough—the Gulf War could be very similar to OTL, and I'm quite sure Bentsen could look good on economic issues even if the overall situation is similar to that of OTL. Finally Bush simply failed to start campaigning early enough (as late as the fall of 1991 there was no re-election team or plan) as well as a few other problems that Bentsen could presumably avoid or handle better.

(As for 1996 Republicans, Dole is likely but so are people like Pete Wilson and William Weld (and maybe even Powell) that didn't happen IOTL as well as the people who did IOTL, and I think a few of the people I mentioned in the old thread for '92 are still around.)

I thought that Bensten was the classic case of when the VP was stronger than the Presidential candidate.
I did some work on a timeline when the Dem nomination is deadlocked between Dukakis, Jackson and Biden (he doesn't make the screw up of the speech), and Bensten is choosen instead.
I had him pick James Blanchard (Four term Congressman), and in his second term as Governor of Michigan as his running mate, and he won 272-266 against Bush.

Here's an interesting thought...What would happen in Dukakis is killed during the General Election, let's say before the Debates around september of 88, what happens next? Does the person with the next highest delegate total become the nominee ala Jesse Jackson or would Bensten get the nod as the nominee? Also might we see an earlier Southern Strategy emerge as Bentsen might choose the charismatic and youthful Bill Clinton to be his running mate?

That might give us the necessary 270 electoral votes...

For whatever reason if Bensten is the nominee, then I don't think he would have picked Clinton, don't forget the awfull speech he gave at the 88 convention.
I still say Blanchard would have been a good pick, 4 term Congressman in his second term as Governor of a swing state (Michigan).