Backroom deal 1863

Blue Max

That's pretty much the 191TL but almost totally ignored butterflies to the point of being manically deterministic. It is ASB to assume that the world would have virtually the same situation except for an highly unlikely set-up in N America. You can't even assume with certainty that Germany will be united the way it was while the situation 50 years down the line is likely to be massively different.

Most noticeably this scenario normally assumes that the US become intensely militaristic and raises and maintain much higher forces despite having far less resources. Furthermore that the heavier taxes, conscription and less economic stability makes not a jot of difference to the Europeans looking for economic opportunities. Most of all that while the US is venting its spleen that Britain defeated it Britain continues to pumps funds and population into the country without any changes. Also that despite having a larger aggressive neighbour neither Canada or the CSA really change in an significant amount.

If the US was defeated by Britain in a Trent War scenario, possibly lasting long enough that Britain is angered enough to take some territory the US, provided it avoids a total meltdown, is going to become a significant regional power. However it will be far less of one if it goes the path of a militant revanchist state. If it mends bridges with Britain it will have a development path not too much worse than OTL but is then unlikely to be opposed to Britain in any Great War type encounter.

Steve

The thing is that the CSA has no easy route to economic development, and its at least a coin flip that the CSA is still a slave society--and in any case, the USA is going to have a stronger economy and yes, its building its army because it is surrounded by enemies. The CSA's cash crop, Cotton, is unlikely to support its economic development, and the UK is probably going to have to station troops in the country.

A different Civil War butterflying Bismarck? I don't see how. And figure that losing the heavily English south just increased the USA's Cultural Ties with Germany at the expense of its American Ties.

So you have a different WW1. It's probably earlier, it probably has a similar outcome to the scenario I suggested, except the arrangement of powers is going to be confused. Germany and the USA are solid--the UK has put its troops in the CSA, and in the eyes of the USA, it screwed the USA and the USA's war efforts are going to be taking out the CSA first. Austria is also solid--Germany and Austria were closely tied by nationalism as well. On the flip side, the CSA, UK and France are all on one side as well.

I suppose this leaves Russia, Ottomans, Italy and Spain without a side. Spain, if the action happens before the loss of its Cuban colony, might be neutral and it might oppose the CSA because of its colonial interests. Italy might opt to sit out the war as well--or it could choose either side. Now, with the UK's designs on places like Egypt, I can't see the Ottomans taking the UK's side in the conflict, although they could be neutral. Finally, Russia itself could be neutral, particularly if the flashpoint isn't Serbia. An American Flashpoint would probably result in Russia trying to gear up for war but remaining neutral anyhow.

So, we have: USA, Germany and Austria vs. UK, France, and CSA. Fundamentally, the USA/Germany and Austria have the stronger hand. So if we want to talk butterflies, a conceivable interpretation is Russia and the Ottomans sitting out a 1905 WWI triggered in North America--Germany Rolls West, crushes France, then focuses its attentions against the UK. Invading the UK probably doesn't happen, but the Germans are having quite a time raiding UK shipping and moving forces into African Colonies. A Distracted Canada and Agarian CSA can't hope to hold on against a built up USA.

The whole Harry Turtledove line is a CSA Wank--which isn't happening: the CSA has been forced to yield considerable territory--such as West Virginia, Kentucky, Half of Tennesse, and all claims to Western Territory. There is no asinine demand for Ohio. The CSA, which either continues Slavery or is in some related practice afterward, doesn't have the population, doesn't have the weapons capacity and it faces internal problems that the USA does not. The CSA is likely to explode in a spate of race-rioting if the USA hits it hard enough, and the presnece of UK Troops--which have to be supplied either across the Atlantic or at heavy expense to the CSA. The CSA doesn't have it, and Germany and Austria will ensure that the UK can't bring it, so the USA owns it.

And for a UK-USA reconcilliation to work, the UK would have to switch its support from the CSA to the USA. This, in turn means that the USA is free to deal with the CSA as it sees fit. In short, it is only with the support of the UK that the CSA can survive--and supporting the CSA means that there will be no acceptance. The USA wants what Canada took from it (although this might be forgivable) and it wants the CSA back. On what grounds can the UK somehow get around these desires?

Theres a point in the Great Escape along the following lines:

German guard "But why do you celebrate with them? They (British) burned down your capital in the War of 1812!"

American "Did they? Well that was a long time ago anyway"

Would the US really really hate the CSA? Would it have a revanchist state? The US lost Vietnam but subsequent Presidents didnt go on and go to war again (probably a bad example).

Hate the CSA? It's possible--you have Andersonville Prison and Henry Wirz. You have Fort Pillow and a slaughter of black US soldiers. Some elements of the USA will legitimately hate the Confederacy. Many more, however, would hate the separation of families and the UK muscling in on what the USA claimed was an internal affair. This would probably be a majority--the CSA is a threat to the United States, it has fought a war against the United States, and it has a heavy UK presence as well.

Now I'm not saying that this is completely inevitable--weird things could happen, like a communist uprising in the CSA or global pandemic. But the inertia is that the battle lines are drawn, the USA wants to take the CSA back--the CSA only survives because the UK jumped into the fray and everyone knows it. This is not an act of history--this is a continuing wrong. The UK didn't just support the CSA's efforts in its war, they also support the CSA's survival AT PRESENT.

Short of a hard left turn, however, there's a global rematch coming and the CSA, UK and France are on the wrong side of it.

Finally, one more thought--the CSA, if it begins to encounter hardship, it might fall apart. States could leave and seek readmission to the USA. The CSA is a state built on slavery and cotton, but a few years of lean profits and that model will start to fail. It could end with the CSA rejoining the USA peacefully after two decades of low cotton prices.

48 years is a long time of simmering hatred. Yes, there have been cases where wars have been implicitly fought to gain a few scraps of lost territory from previous wars, but usually in a 40 year limit. If there was a war of revanche i imagine it would be sooner. Im not even sure Britain would go to war if it knew Canada was to be placed in implicit danger by supporting the Belgians. If thats the case i think GB would be facing the USA full on, and still the Union would lose out. Again.

Quick Point: 48 years is also the time between 1870 and 1918--where France got Alsace Lorraine Back. France wanted AL back for 48 years and there's clearly no time limit in place.

The UK made a mistake supporting the CSA during the conflict, but maintaining garrisons in the CSA is a continuous Error. It really would be better for the UK as a whole to apologize to the USA, pull out of the Confederate States and turn a blind eye to the endgame of that country. Regrettably, I'm not sure that the UK would do this: The UK's balance of powers ideas mean that the UK is going to try to support the underdog against a greater power in hopes that both's efforts are stymied.

And the UK has probably had to hold its nose for some time--supporting a slaveholding state would not be a popular move in Britain, although it could be tolerated if it was absolutely necessary. The point is, though, unless the UK is ready to give up on the CSA in favor of the USA, it opposes a USA.

And there's the problem that the USA will never face the UK at her point of greatest strength--instead, you'll get Germany and Austria making their move on land and sea. So the UK can't send the forces it needs to defeat the USA--otherwise, Germany carves up their own colonies.

The UK COULD win a fight if it had a way to send as many forces as it needed to North America and supply them. However, those are both conditions that can not be given. The US Navy would probably be enlarged if the UK is clearly hostile to the United States, and you'd have a combined German-American Navy out to cripple the English Economy. But this is not a fight between the USA and UK only--and I've never suggested that it would be.

So, for the UK, it's either give up on the Confederacy and befriend the USA, or its stick with the Confederacy and get flushed down the toilet. I don't see the UK able to ship the soldiers it needs in North America while somehow supporting France, African Colonies and possibly other colonies at the same time.

France isnt the USA. And Alsace Lorraine clearly wanted to be French. National attitudes can change over 48 years.

As for British bases in the CSA, where did that come from? You badly oversimplify British foreign policy too- yes there was a balance of power issue but even the British cabinet would find it a stretch to go to war on two developed continents. So it would finish up with Britain against the US with the CSA most likely.

I want to tread lightly though- you seem at a point where you want to promote the military virtues of one nation over all others, in this case the USA. I did the same thing with Britain (ARW not happening and Britain wins WW1 and WW2 and rules the earth). The timeline isnt fixed to this happening. All sorts of things can happen in the meantime.

All right, you tell me then: The USA views the Confederate Secession from its territory as illegal. The UK got involved with the USA--and the UK forces the USA to yield territory to Canada.

OK. Now, how exactly is the UK stopping the USA from moving south against the CSA for a rematch? Remember, the CSA can not match the USA's Population. I assumed the UK would send troops because otherwise there is nothing else to move. In any case the UK has entangled itself with the Confederates. And it really has angered the United States. A massive weapons buildup is obvious and inevitable--the USA is surrounded by hostile powers, they MUST build up.

Now, since the UK has managed to press territorial concessions from the United States, WHICH LIKE AL WANT TO BE AMERICAN, you've got US Claims against UK holdings. There's your 48 years. The USA has at least two serious, relevant grievances against the UK in this scenario. So, with all of these points to consider, how does the UK intend to befriend the USA? And why would the USA be willing to accept these terms rather than wait for a good time to maim the British Lion?

Things have been simplified, and frankly, OTL UK was too smart to get entangled in the American Civil War in the first place. But the OP said it and that's what we have to act on.

Hate the CSA? It's possible--you have Andersonville Prison and Henry Wirz. You have Fort Pillow and a slaughter of black US soldiers. Some elements of the USA will legitimately hate the Confederacy. Many more, however, would hate the separation of families and the UK muscling in on what the USA claimed was an internal affair. This would probably be a majority--the CSA is a threat to the United States, it has fought a war against the United States, and it has a heavy UK presence as well.

Now I'm not saying that this is completely inevitable--weird things could happen, like a communist uprising in the CSA or global pandemic. But the inertia is that the battle lines are drawn, the USA wants to take the CSA back--the CSA only survives because the UK jumped into the fray and everyone knows it. This is not an act of history--this is a continuing wrong. The UK didn't just support the CSA's efforts in its war, they also support the CSA's survival AT PRESENT.

Short of a hard left turn, however, there's a global rematch coming and the CSA, UK and France are on the wrong side of it.

Finally, one more thought--the CSA, if it begins to encounter hardship, it might fall apart. States could leave and seek readmission to the USA. The CSA is a state built on slavery and cotton, but a few years of lean profits and that model will start to fail. It could end with the CSA rejoining the USA peacefully after two decades of low cotton prices.

With a Trent War scenario it is doubtful that the Andersonville prison will be set up, or that there will even be an engagement at Fort Pillow. Both occured by 1864, by which point the war could be over in this TL, and even with the war going on, it's doubtful that those things will come to pass again due to the radically different war scenario.

Oh Christ, this whole thing drags itself on like a deer being hit by a lorry prior.

Where the hell is all this coming from? Please direct me to this TL you seemingly have access to in your head that i dont. It might prove useful in actually replying to you.

I am doing this only to humour you now. And im bored.

1914 saw Britain wreck Germany's financial future for the next two years im a series of financial measures. After the war Germany was thus unable to achieve its prowess in many areas due to the superceding of some of its industry and its wrecked credit.

With a 1914 war with Britain an emasculated Union would see its trade with Europe cut off utterly. Then you have a BEF that isnt massacred in northern France and instead is a highly trained force shipped over to defend Canada. Unless the US Army is far stronger than it was when it declared war in OTL, then this BEF can defend the Great Lakes area adequately.

With the superiority of the RN, the US Navy will cease to exist. Also its large size and many bases mean that it will in itself be able to blockade both coasts. If worst comes to worst it can also bombard US cities on both coasts. Then the Union has a massive humanitarian situation on its hands.

If a long war or a short war the US will eventually lose. We dont know if the CSA was intelligent enough to reform its economy or not- i cant read your mind. But full mobilisation will bring vast numbers of British and Indian troops into the war and then the outcome is up in the air.

Satisfied. God......:(
Certainly. It's based on Robert Ransoms: The Confederate States of America, What Might Have Been--a scholarly piece actually written by one of my college's own professors. I have actually been much more flexible with it than the author, but I believe it is factual.

The given you are missing is that there is no US Disarmament in this scenario--the BEF is highly trained, sure, but its also a small force for dealing with the USA. The USA would like to go to a peacetime footing, but with a Hostile UK and CSA on its borders it can't. You would have a highly developed US war machine by the UK-USA + WW1 Rematch. I grant you that the UK would quickly overwhelm a tiny American Army found in OTL's 1914 period--but ITTL, the USA is a major armed camp, possibly with something like 1 Million men in uniform out of a population of 100 Million. Against this many guys with guns, I have my doubts. Furthermore, the USA might well call up millions more for a draft if necessary. Would you like to suggest numbers for the UKs ITTL expeditionary force to the CSA or its Canadian detail?

The UK might exceed this USA's real Economic Output at the date of this matchup. But trying to reinforce North America across the Atlantic in the face of an enlarged US Fleet isn't exactly a winning option. Throw in a WW1 raging in Europe (and yes, the system of alliances that formed after 1870 would trigger exactly that) and the UK has to beat the USA one-handed, while holding on to various colonies and probably facing some kind of trouble in Ireland. The UK is at the top of its game at this time, but I think against a heavily militarized USA with a competitive fleet the small BEF stands no chance, and a larger one raises supply questions that can't be answered to my satisfaction--Canada and the CSA aren't going to be large enough to support a 1 Million Strong army of their own, however desired this might be.

The UK in 1914 had some financial power, but its chief weapon against Germany was its blockade that starved Germany into submission. Two problems here: if Russia isn't in the war, they can sell foodstuffs to Germany at high prices and stifle much of this economic damage. Second, the Royal Navy is being asked to do an awful lot here--it has to ferry supplies to North America, Blockade Germany and the United States, and stop their fleets and submarines from eating its merchant shipping. The Blockade is either weak or non-existant, and the UK might well pay a higher price in damage than either the Germans or Americans.

So please, let's hear how France+UK+CSA defeats Germany+Austria+United States. I'd love to see how that would work.

As for the causes of war--I accept that they would be butterflied to some degree, but it might be sufficient to suggest that a similar problem could easily have happened instead. Butterfly the specifics, not the general idea.

67th Tigers

Banned
Certainly. It's based on Robert Ransoms: The Confederate States of America, What Might Have Been--a scholarly piece actually written by one of my college's own professors. I have actually been much more flexible with it than the author, but I believe it is factual.

The given you are missing is that there is no US Disarmament in this scenario--the BEF is highly trained, sure, but its also a small force for dealing with the USA. The USA would like to go to a peacetime footing, but with a Hostile UK and CSA on its borders it can't. You would have a highly developed US war machine by the UK-USA + WW1 Rematch. I grant you that the UK would quickly overwhelm a tiny American Army found in OTL's 1914 period--but ITTL, the USA is a major armed camp, possibly with something like 1 Million men in uniform out of a population of 100 Million. Against this many guys with guns, I have my doubts. Furthermore, the USA might well call up millions more for a draft if necessary. Would you like to suggest numbers for the UKs ITTL expeditionary force to the CSA or its Canadian detail?

Okay, for a start, you've roughly doubled the population of the US/ Union, assuming CS population is removed, and the acceleration of the US curve in 1870 (mass migration) doesn't happen ITTL, the Union has a population of ca 40m and the Confederacy ca 15m.

Also, no European Army, even Prussia/ Germany, kept a million men under arms.

We can prorate the 1917 mobilisations to get a feel of US and CS capacity.

US has a military population of ca 10m, of which about 1m can be sustained in the field, taking roughly 2.5 years to build up to this strength from ca 100,000 starting strength

CS has a military population of ca 4m, of whom ca 0.5m can be eventually brought to the field, starting from ca 40,000.

Canada has a standing military of 100,000, rising to 600,000 within 1.5 yrs. The BEF (assuming it is as OTL) rises to 600,000 within three months, and over a million with the year.

So please, let's hear how France+UK+CSA defeats Germany+Austria+United States. I'd love to see how that would work.

Simple, the BEF alone is larger than the force the US can field. The Canadians and CS can more than double it, and with the drain on manpower caused by the US needing a quarter of a million men for coastal defence, it is the US, not Canada that ends up buried under an avalanche of men.

Blue Max

The thing is that the CSA has no easy route to economic development, and its at least a coin flip that the CSA is still a slave society--and in any case, the USA is going to have a stronger economy and yes, its building its army because it is surrounded by enemies. The CSA's cash crop, Cotton, is unlikely to support its economic development, and the UK is probably going to have to station troops in the country.

I see it as highly unlikely the UK would station troops in the CSA, that the CSA would want them short of a new war or that they would be needed. The US is going to have a stronger economy, although weaker than OTL and significantly weaker following the path you suggest. However it was much stronger in 1861 and took 4 bloody years to defeat the south. With that averted you had an internationally recognised, if loathed, state that has set down institutions. It doesn't need to be as strong as the north, just strong enough for the north to have to pay such a butchers bill that public opinion will not favour it.

You seem to think that there will be a universal blood-lust in the US to conquer the south. That won't be the case. Its not even like A-L as the south is not a region torn from the US by a foreign power and held against its will but a nation in its own right that doesn't want to beyond to the US. Many in the US would be unhappy with that but few will want the bloodbath that would result from trying to conquer a neighbouring state.

Don't forget also that we're talking about, as far as I'm aware, a conflict triggered by an enlarged Trent Incident. I.e. the US committed a gross breach of international war then [unlike OTL] failed to correct its error. Many in the US may not see themselves as guilty but the rest of the world will and if they continue to claim the right to rid rough-shod over international law they will leave themselves viewed as untrustworthy and erratic rouges that might be partners in circumstance for a brief while but are unlikely to have close allies.

One other question? If the US did plan to conquer the south, what would it do with the blacks? It was patently clear that many if not most northern whites didn't want them in the US but if it takes over the south its going to have responsibility for them. Not many people may think about this but some will.

A different Civil War butterflying Bismarck? I don't see how. And figure that losing the heavily English south just increased the USA's Cultural Ties with Germany at the expense of its American Ties.

I didn't say butterflying Bismarck, I said butterflying how Germany was united. For instance, a successful Trent War would probably mean the US was so pre-occupied that France continues support for the empire of Mexico. This could affect the Franco-Prussian war in at least 5 ways.
a) A successful campaign gives France extra resources and prestige.
b) Continued problems in the region means that France is too pre-occupied and doesn't take the bait when Bismarck tries provoking it into war.
c) Lessons learnt from the campaign helps turn one of the early battles, say due to new tactics/equipment or a leader who gained experience in Mexico.
d) Conversely one of the less capable of the OTL French generals is not available because he's busy commanding French forces in Mexico.
e) Because their supporting a Hapsburg in Mexico France comes to Austria's aid in 1866. Cue a long an bitter war in which Prussia's bid for domination is defeated and Germany stays divided but largely dominated by Austria.

Not saying any of those would happen but there are so many butterflies that we can't say with any certainty what will happen so far ahead. For instance some have suggested that if Wilhelm II had been born without his handicap he would have been a vastly different character. Might not have been anything like as personally insecure and hence aggressive. Could avoid war or have a totally different set of alliances.

Another point. As you say the US will lose a large proportion of its population, heavily British in background. You seem to think this will make it more attractive to immigrants from elsewhere in Europe, especially Germany. Ignoring the shattered economy, if the conflict is long, the heavy war debts and poorer credit rating and the high military spending and conscription you seem to be suggesting. All of those will reduce the attractiveness of the US to settlers or migrants. Do you know why, when immigration restrictions were imposed after WWI, they used a census from a generation earlier? If so do you see the point I'm making? There might not only be much less of a pull to the US there could be a pretty substantial push away from it by the US government.

So you have a different WW1. It's probably earlier, it probably has a similar outcome to the scenario I suggested, except the arrangement of powers is going to be confused. Germany and the USA are solid--the UK has put its troops in the CSA, and in the eyes of the USA, it screwed the USA and the USA's war efforts are going to be taking out the CSA first. Austria is also solid--Germany and Austria were closely tied by nationalism as well. On the flip side, the CSA, UK and France are all on one side as well.

As I say predicting that far ahead it impossible with any degree of accuracy. Don't forget that Prussia and Austria are allies in 1864 then bitter opponents in 1866. France and Britain spend most of the period in competition and rivalry. Could easily be, if Germany exists in the same shape, that its allied with Britain against the US and France. Which would give huge butterflies.

I suppose this leaves Russia, Ottomans, Italy and Spain without a side. Spain, if the action happens before the loss of its Cuban colony, might be neutral and it might oppose the CSA because of its colonial interests. Italy might opt to sit out the war as well--or it could choose either side. Now, with the UK's designs on places like Egypt, I can't see the Ottomans taking the UK's side in the conflict, although they could be neutral. Finally, Russia itself could be neutral, particularly if the flashpoint isn't Serbia. An American Flashpoint would probably result in Russia trying to gear up for war but remaining neutral anyhow.

Do we know who would take Cuba? Britain like France had commercial and strategic interests in Egypt but if you check the history it was a highly reluctant occupier. However if Russia did stay neutral and Turkey joined the central powers as you suggest then:
a) Britain has relatively little need to attack Turkey, without a desire to aid Russia so could just have small local/colonial forces holding the borders.
b) Austria is going to have to transfer forces to the western front, which with potential crisis in the Balkans and Russia it may well be reluctant to do. [Alternatively it could end up fighting an allied Italy but if the latter is defending, as it probably would be against an Austria not committed on other fronts its not going to be an easy victim.
c) If France is facing Germany largely alone it could well have a far more defensive stance, in which case the Germans could get very, very badly mauled.

As such, even if the clash you suggest developed it would be far from easy for the central powers to get any victory.

So, we have: USA, Germany and Austria vs. UK, France, and CSA. Fundamentally, the USA/Germany and Austria have the stronger hand. So if we want to talk butterflies, a conceivable interpretation is Russia and the Ottomans sitting out a 1905 WWI triggered in North America--Germany Rolls West, crushes France, then focuses its attentions against the UK. Invading the UK probably doesn't happen, but the Germans are having quite a time raiding UK shipping and moving forces into African Colonies. A Distracted Canada and Agarian CSA can't hope to hold on against a built up USA.

A built up US would probably be a military giant, by OTL standards, at the cost of being an economic pigmy. Canada, which could easily have double the OTL population coupled with a defensive position from the CSA would be a hell of a tough pair of nuts for the US to crack. The prairie provinces would almost certainly fall but holding them could tie up a lot of US forces and conquering either BC or the eastern region would be tough even without British support.

The whole Harry Turtledove line is a CSA Wank--which isn't happening: the CSA has been forced to yield considerable territory--such as West Virginia, Kentucky, Half of Tennesse, and all claims to Western Territory. There is no asinine demand for Ohio. The CSA, which either continues Slavery or is in some related practice afterward, doesn't have the population, doesn't have the weapons capacity and it faces internal problems that the USA does not. The CSA is likely to explode in a spate of race-rioting if the USA hits it hard enough, and the presnece of UK Troops--which have to be supplied either across the Atlantic or at heavy expense to the CSA. The CSA doesn't have it, and Germany and Austria will ensure that the UK can't bring it, so the USA owns it.

I would disagree about TL191 being a CSA wank although it's far from realistic. However a question. How long after the US triggers a Trent War does it continue to fight? A short war and the borders would probably be pretty much what they are at the start. However this means little abiding hostility apart from the head-cases. A long war and British annexation of western territory and the US is probably a basket case in the immediate post-war period. In that case the CSA might end up with W Virginia or Kentucky, although I think they would be highly foolish to seek to hold the former as there doesn't seem the support for it.

What could really screw the US is if it does start a 2nd war in the 1880's as in that TL. If so their highly unlikely to get off as lightly as in his books and are likely to be fighting alone.

And for a UK-USA reconcilliation to work, the UK would have to switch its support from the CSA to the USA. This, in turn means that the USA is free to deal with the CSA as it sees fit. In short, it is only with the support of the UK that the CSA can survive--and supporting the CSA means that there will be no acceptance. The USA wants what Canada took from it (although this might be forgivable) and it wants the CSA back. On what grounds can the UK somehow get around these desires?

For a UK-US reconciliation the US would have to persuade Britain it is a trustworthy power. Insisting it has the right to invade and conquer a neighbour would not be the way to do that. That would force Britain to support the continued independence of the CSA as a vital protection for Canada.

Steve

67th Tigers

Okay, for a start, you've roughly doubled the population of the US/ Union, assuming CS population is removed, and the acceleration of the US curve in 1870 (mass migration) doesn't happen ITTL, the Union has a population of ca 40m and the Confederacy ca 15m.

I agree that the US population would be markedly less in this scenario. Wondering why you think the rise in immigration after 1870 would be totally wiped out? Can think of a couple of reasons why that might occur but my gut feeling is there would still be some. [Unless the US totally fouls things up and goes off the rails].

Also, no European Army, even Prussia/ Germany, kept a million men under arms.

While since I checked up but think Russia had over a million. Agree it would be crippling for the US with its much smaller population and different social background.

We can prorate the 1917 mobilisations to get a feel of US and CS capacity.

US has a military population of ca 10m, of which about 1m can be sustained in the field, taking roughly 2.5 years to build up to this strength from ca 100,000 starting strength

In total war they might go higher I think. Didn't the French mobilise about 7-8M in WWI, although I think a lot of those were involved in manufacturing. However the size of the US probably is another problem here as the greater spread of the population makes it harder to mobilise and maintain large forces.

CS has a military population of ca 4m, of whom ca 0.5m can be eventually brought to the field, starting from ca 40,000.

Canada has a standing military of 100,000, rising to 600,000 within 1.5 yrs. The BEF (assuming it is as OTL) rises to 600,000 within three months, and over a million with the year.

Are you using OTL population values for Canada? Would expect it would be significantly higher in TTL given the poor relations between Canada and the US and the poorer economy of the latter.

Simple, the BEF alone is larger than the force the US can field. The Canadians and CS can more than double it, and with the drain on manpower caused by the US needing a quarter of a million men for coastal defence, it is the US, not Canada that ends up buried under an avalanche of men.

Are you assuming a N American war only here as in the [admittedly highly unlikely] event of the sort of WWI equilvent that Blue Max is suggesting there would need to be a commitment to help the French?

Also the Americans might not need as many garrison troops as they would have a relatively short coastline to defend and coastal bombardments like a close blockage would probably not be a good idea if they have invested in minefields, subs and coastal defence units. [If they haven't butterflied Mahan however the USN could be in real trouble! :eek:].

Steve

67th Tigers

Banned
67th Tigers

I agree that the US population would be markedly less in this scenario. Wondering why you think the rise in immigration after 1870 would be totally wiped out? Can think of a couple of reasons why that might occur but my gut feeling is there would still be some. [Unless the US totally fouls things up and goes off the rails].

The factors driving it (primarily a labour shortage) don't necessarily exist. Indeed, the growth rate could return to pre-1850's levels (giving a Union of ca 30m), but I doubt that.

While since I checked up but think Russia had over a million. Agree it would be crippling for the US with its much smaller population and different social background.

1.4m, 3.2m after reservists were recalled.

In total war they might go higher I think. Didn't the French mobilise about 7-8M in WWI, although I think a lot of those were involved in manufacturing. However the size of the US probably is another problem here as the greater spread of the population makes it harder to mobilise and maintain large forces.

The British alone enlisted over 5m. It is possible to enlist large forces, but it takes time to make an army. In WW1, only 10 US divisions ever engaged the enemy (maybe 50,000 men, the US had a terrible desertion/ straggling problem, and their divisions at the front were usually weaker than French Divisions!), out of 4m enlisted.

Are you using OTL population values for Canada? Would expect it would be significantly higher in TTL given the poor relations between Canada and the US and the poorer economy of the latter.

8m, the historical figure. The annexation of Maine (as per Turtledove) gives Canada another million, resetting the borders to make all the disputes settled in the British favour would add a few million more.

Are you assuming a N American war only here as in the [admittedly highly unlikely] event of the sort of WWI equilvent that Blue Max is suggesting there would need to be a commitment to help the French?

No, there was also a disposable force of some half a million or so that campaigned in the Mediterranean.

The British fielded in 1916:
12 Regular Divisions
14 Territorial Divisions (which the Germans rated as equal to regulars)
14 2nd Line Territorial Divisions (initially dedicated to home defence, but sent abroad in 1916)
30 "New Army" Divisions
The Royal Naval Division
The New Zealand Division
5 Australian Divisions
3 Canadian Divisions
6 of the 9 Regular Indian Divisions served in Europe or North Africa

There are also 11 Cavalry Divisions serving overseas (3 Regular, 4 Yeomanry, 2 Indian, 1 Australian Light Horse and 1 ANZAC LH).

The UK absorbed exactly 1 Division, plus the depots of each Division at the front was usually configured as a provisional brigade for home defence. In 1916, it was the 48th Division as the home contingency force, and they were called upon (along with the depots of the Irish regiments, formed as provisional brigades) to reassert government rule in Dublin, Easter 1916.

Also the Americans might not need as many garrison troops as they would have a relatively short coastline to defend and coastal bombardments like a close blockage would probably not be a good idea if they have invested in minefields, subs and coastal defence units. [If they haven't butterflied Mahan however the USN could be in real trouble! :eek:].

Steve

You know that something like 80% of the pre-1913 regular US Army was the Coastal Artillery Corps? It was the armies primary role. The Combat Units of the Regular Army (1st-4th Infantry Division, The (1st) Cavalry Division and the Provisional Cavalry Brigade) were held at cadre strength, and had less than 20,000 men.

See http://www.cdsg.org/CACunits.htm

Of course, in a world with a still existent CSA, and a possibly hostile Britain, the US needs a real army, which needs money. This in turn needs taxes, which in turn slows growth....

You need a scenario where the UK establishes such ties to the CSA and the fact is that the UK had no intentions of getting involved unless forced to.

From London's perspective neutrality and CSA victory means the UK can pick and choose an ally, if an ally is seen as valuable. If the CSA loses then the UK has lost absolutely nothing, and gains an awful lot of USA cash over the next decades as debts are paid, plus other influence resulting from those debts.

From the British perspective it was 'heads I win, tales I still win', so it isn't likely the British would toss that without very good reason.

There is also the minor historical detail that the British were generally pro-US, as shown by the CSA being the one major breakaway incipient nation NOT to enjoy British support. Belgium, Greece, the former Spanish colonies in Latin America...the CSA is the one case of the British not intervening?

Of course, if the CSA won on its own the British would have dealt with the reality as best served them but that's a completely different thing.

There's also the minor detail that British interests would inevitably have clashed with CSA interests while rapproachment with the US would have been more useful. I recall an analysis where the US does ally with Germany but, alas, wise American officers trained in German ways come to see where the US's true interests lie, to the sorrow and bittersweet pride of their German instructors.

OK, I believe the assumption that the USA would not attempt to fight the UK and the CSA without support after the events of the Civil War is probably solid--I think an 1880s war against them would not happen, instead you'd have an angry USA going onto a cold war footing.

Blacks, in the USA, are going to be calling for taking out the CSA. Even without Fort Pillow or a similar atrocity against them, slavery is still going to be despised and hated by Northern Blacks. They will face racism in the north but that will slowly change over time--people like Booker T. Washington are going try to see to improved conditions in the north, liberation in the South. Without the south to slow down civil rights blacks in the north have probably achieved some gains, although they continue to face some discrimination.

Slavery in the South is going to infuriate American Blacks to the point where you probably have terrorist campaigns and weapons going into the south, while you have fugitive slave hunters sneaking into the north. This is a possible flashpoint for an all out war.

@UK is Pro-US: This is true, and its a point that I've got no problem going along with. But the OP has specified that this is not the case here, and have tried to operate on the acceptance of that fact. A far more likely scenario is the UK says--"go ahead USA", and the USA fights and wins a rematch against the Confederacy.

Frankly, the UK is too smart to do what it does in the OP, but without the long term support of the UK, I don't see the Confederacy surviving.

It's important to note that the Confederacy was built on slavery--and this is a point of weakness, not strength. Furthermore, the CSA was built on the notion of State's Rights, making it a somewhat fragile nation. Slavery means that the CSA has no choice but to keep some of their forces inside their borders to prevent rebellions--and in the event of a rematch, I'd expect black communities in the USA to throw everything they could into helping their southern cousins. Finally, in OTL, the Confederacy collapsed even though it was not entirely defeated--it still had a considerable army and a large amount of territory in its control. The CSA faces internal weaknesses that most nations do not share.

If the CSA keeps slavery until 1914, I'd expect global outrage against the country. Karl Marx would not ignore slavery as a form of exploiting workers, and labor unions around the world would see the CSA as a threat to their well-being. The UK is going to be humiliated in global politics for its support of the Confederate States. I don't know how far this will go, but it has some chance to suck the UK's international image down the toilet.

The USA is going to have weaker economic growth than OTL, but you have both a military-industrial complex running and some analog of corporations emerging. There is going to be hell to pay in WW1

Frankly, the UK is too smart to do what it does in the OP, but without the long term support of the UK, I don't see the Confederacy surviving.

Blue Max

Actually, just taken a quick look at the OP and we're drifted rather a long way from that.:) It involved an Irish terrorist murdering a US diplomat while disguised as a British soldier, prompting a US demand for war - and a rather unlikely pact between Lincoln and Davis being suggested.:eek:

It was you, in your 1st post in response to that who suggested a lasting alliance between the UK and the CSA. I find this highly unlikely because of the differences between the two powers.

I agree that the CSA had serious internal weaknesses, both because of its black minority and because of its very loose internal structure. The former is a serious problem both in terms of an hostile minority and possibly even more so because of the economic impact and the diplomatic one with other powers. However less convinced that the latter is necessarily that significant. Whatever other differences the southern states have they share a common concern about the threat from the north and a belligerent US refusing to accept their independence would reinforce that. Under such pressures values and forms of government can prove surprisingly flexible. [Actually I suspect a greater problem might be the considerable influence of the military in such a state, as was suggested by a TL someone started a couple of months back about how an independent CSA might develop. Unfortunately lost track of that one but looked very interesting].

Don't forget, as I said, the CSA doesn't have to be strong. Just strong enough when threatened to make its conquest a bloody and costly business that the bulk of the US population will decide is not worthwhile. Given the problems the US had defeating the south in OTL, when it had none of the structures of a state and very little in the way of defences that would be a hell of a task, let alone holding down a people who have grown to think of themselves as self-governing afterwards.

As such, provided some serious breakdown over slavery or some other matter is avoided, if the south gets its independence I very much doubt the north will regain it with a stick. A carrot might be a different matter but suspect it would have to be a big one.

Steve

The factors driving it (primarily a labour shortage) don't necessarily exist. Indeed, the growth rate could return to pre-1850's levels (giving a Union of ca 30m), but I doubt that.

Ah. I was thinking of a much weaker economy plus possibly markedly earlier immigration controls as possible factors to reduce movements. Along with the bitter hostility towards anyone from the British empire or CSA.

The British alone enlisted over 5m. It is possible to enlist large forces, but it takes time to make an army. In WW1, only 10 US divisions ever engaged the enemy (maybe 50,000 men, the US had a terrible desertion/ straggling problem, and their divisions at the front were usually weaker than French Divisions!), out of 4m enlisted.

Knew only a proportion of their forces actually say combat but didn't realise it was as small as that! They had about as many men as Britain on the western front in Nov 1918 . I thought they took about 50k casulties?, then doubled by the pandemic.

8m, the historical figure. The annexation of Maine (as per Turtledove) gives Canada another million, resetting the borders to make all the disputes settled in the British favour would add a few million more.

I was thinking this TL it would be significantly higher. British population directed north from the US plus most importantly Canadian population and immigrants deterred from moving south. Also possible a higher degree of investment, especially an earlier trans-continental railway. Both bringing investment and speeding development.

I didn't think there would be that many people in Maine at that time or are you assuming later growth to circa 1914? Also wouldn't have thought the areas Britain would be happy absorbing would be that heavily populated, although again I'm talking ~1860 figures and you may be referring to what they might hold in 1914 in TTL.

No, there was also a disposable force of some half a million or so that campaigned in the Mediterranean.

Would that be enough to help the French hold out against Germany?

The British fielded in 1916:
12 Regular Divisions
14 Territorial Divisions (which the Germans rated as equal to regulars)
14 2nd Line Territorial Divisions (initially dedicated to home defence, but sent abroad in 1916)
30 "New Army" Divisions
The Royal Naval Division
The New Zealand Division
5 Australian Divisions
3 Canadian Divisions
6 of the 9 Regular Indian Divisions served in Europe or North Africa

There are also 11 Cavalry Divisions serving overseas (3 Regular, 4 Yeomanry, 2 Indian, 1 Australian Light Horse and 1 ANZAC LH).

Interestingly that gives a higher number of Australians than Canadians, despite the latter having the higher population. Especially since I think the Australians also had a larger navy. [Presuming the figures you quoted for manpower above of 5M for Britain were army only and excluded the RN]. Gods that a hell of a commitment!]

You know that something like 80% of the pre-1913 regular US Army was the Coastal Artillery Corps? It was the armies primary role. The Combat Units of the Regular Army (1st-4th Infantry Division, The (1st) Cavalry Division and the Provisional Cavalry Brigade) were held at cadre strength, and had less than 20,000 men.

See http://www.cdsg.org/CACunits.htm

Interesting. I kind of gathered the idea the bulk of the US army was scattered in small garrisons all over the west especially as a hang over from the Indian wars and the US political system. [Each politican wanting to keep the troops and the income they generated in his own area].

Of course, in a world with a still existent CSA, and a possibly hostile Britain, the US needs a real army, which needs money. This in turn needs taxes, which in turn slows growth....

Definitely agree. Especially coming from a country which has just fought a possibly long and certainly unsuccessful war with all the costs of that. Not to mention if they try maintaining a navy as well. Good job the US has a long tradition of high taxes to support military spending.:rolleyes:

Steve

67th Tigers

Banned
Knew only a proportion of their forces actually say combat but didn't realise it was as small as that! They had about as many men as Britain on the western front in Nov 1918 . I thought they took about 50k casulties?, then doubled by the pandemic.

Whenever the AEF comes up, I point to:

Timothy K. Nenninger, Tactical Dysfunction in the AEF, 1917-1918, Military Affairs, Vol. 51, No. 4 (Oct., 1987), pp. 177-181

As it points out, during the Meuse-Argonne offensive, one US division reported a total strength of 1,600 during a period at the front, yet when relieved, over 8,400 infantrymen alone were at rollcall. Strangling and desertion were major problems, as they were in most US wars.

However, yes. 53,000 KIA. However, their organisation was interesting. The US Army raised 8 regular divisions (one of which was included a USMC Bde), 17 ARNG Divisions and 17 NA Divisions (plus 93rd Negro Division, which was pennypacketed out to the French).

This totals 43 Divisions, however, 13 of those were skeleton/ depot formations and had little actual manpower, 10 were shipped to the British, who equipped and retrained them (where ISTR they still were at wars end), and 1 (93rd Negro) was broken up and assigned to the French Army. The remaining 19 prettymuch had 9 divisions (1 per Corps) assigned as a depot/ labour formation, while the remaining 10 were at the front.

I was thinking this TL it would be significantly higher. British population directed north from the US plus most importantly Canadian population and immigrants deterred from moving south. Also possible a higher degree of investment, especially an earlier trans-continental railway. Both bringing investment and speeding development.

I didn't think there would be that many people in Maine at that time or are you assuming later growth to circa 1914? Also wouldn't have thought the areas Britain would be happy absorbing would be that heavily populated, although again I'm talking ~1860 figures and you may be referring to what they might hold in 1914 in TTL.

Maine in 1860 has a population of 0.6m, half of them 1st generation English settlers. It can be considered a "border state" between Canada and the US.

Would that be enough to help the French hold out against Germany?

If the French survive that long (and curiously, a weaker French left flank may actually advantage the French. The French plan was to encircle the advancing German right wing, but the Germans got hung up, and the French punched through to what should have been the German rear only to find it wasn't), yes. It's the initial crisis that's the issue.

Interestingly that gives a higher number of Australians than Canadians, despite the latter having the higher population. Especially since I think the Australians also had a larger navy. [Presuming the figures you quoted for manpower above of 5M for Britain were army only and excluded the RN]. Gods that a hell of a commitment!]

Canada kept a very large force (250,000 men ISTR) at home in case the Americans went over to the other side. The Australians didn't have this issue.

Interesting. I kind of gathered the idea the bulk of the US army was scattered in small garrisons all over the west especially as a hang over from the Indian wars and the US political system. [Each politican wanting to keep the troops and the income they generated in his own area].

The Spanish war had caused major army reforms. The Stimson Plan reformed the US Army, creating a force of 3 (not 4 as I think I earlier said) Infantry Divisions, a Cavalry Division, a separate Cavalry Brigade, a provisional (Negro) cavalry brigade and a brigade to garrison Hawaii. They were all skeleton units though ISTR.

I'm having a problem with your numbers.

You assume the US can only put 10% of its raised troops into the field. For your numbers to make sense, you need to assume the same for all participants.

That gives the following strength in the field:
USA 1,000,000
CSA 400,000
Canada 60,000
BEF 100,000

Of course, that's assuming the UK ignores the Western Front and can handle the logistical problems. Getting an army and its supplies across the Atlantic Ocean is a bit more of a challenge than getting it across the English Channel.

The Canadian Militia has about 100,000 effectives. There are no "overwhelming US numbers", the Union have ca 300,000 effectives, of which all bar 20,000 are heavily engaged for the Confederates. Another 30,000 US militia were also available, giving the 50,000 troops the British thought the US could hit Canada with.

So you're saying Canada (which was not at war) had 3% of its population as military effectives, while the US (which was at war) only had 1% of its population as effectives?