Army equipment that should have seen service

It tells you the Madsen system and the Reising both failed the test of use and that Browning systems, along with the Holek brothers, Leonard Vincent, Louis Stange, Stoner, Sam Colt, Henrie Mercie, and Kalishnokov are system inventors whose work has withstood the crucible of war for decades.

I could toss Mauser in, but there are not many cyclics that use that operator system anymore. Oh, I forgot Odkalek, and the nutjob, Williams.

The Madsen system was hardly a failure, it was in production for nearly 50 years and it was not noted as unreliable in use. It was in use for nearly 100 years. I don't think it can be counted as a failed weapon.

1586093495509.png

Surely something less medieval or home made could have been done.

Doesn`t need to pay FN rights in Europe
Its a JMB design so in Europe belongs to FN
The US navy tried it and wanted the gun because they considered it superior to colt 1911
Had it been avaiable during the tests that dictated the choice of the Browning design it would be a far harder opponent than the Savage

All it tells me is that FN like many other small arms manufacturers is endlessly copying some other inventive soul. It conveys nothing to me about the Madsen.

In fairness, it's hardly an indictment of a weapon that it has a direct predecessor in another design. Virtually every conventional bolt-action rifle is based on the either the Moisin-Nagant, Lee-Enfield or (especially!) Mauser action. Nearly every straight-pull is based on the Mannlicher action, and so on.

McPherson

Banned
The Madsen system was hardly a failure, it was in production for nearly 50 years and it was not noted as unreliable in use. It was in use for nearly 100 years. I don't think it can be counted as a failed weapon.

The Madsen saw a lot of South American use and some low grade use in small brushfire wars in Asia. It was certainly better than the Hotchkiss Portative functionally, but like the Reising SMG, it seems to have been a better REMF or police gun than a first line portable machine rifle which accounts for the longevity. It was all certain countries could get or afford. Maybe I see that whole context and I consider it a failure.

Now the PIG. (M60 to some of us.) which is a Stange type clockwork gun traced back through the FG42 and thence to the Lewis gun, is still kicking, too.

It may make the century mark as well if this latest version holds up.

Driftless

Donor
What about a somewhat simplified MBT-70/Kpz 70? Replace the troublesome XM-150 152mm gun/launcher with a more conventional 105mm or a 120mm AT gun. Weren't the rest of teething troubles more easily fixable?

Ross rifle only for snipers
Canada starts building Huot MG
huot11.jpg
Canada suplies huots to the commonwhealth to replace Lewis guns ( they continue in aeroplane use) and hotchkiss portative
UK sales smle rifles to Canada
They start using ross rifles because they didnt have smle rifles from UK

Indeed, the Madsen was used extensively by dozens of countries, in a variety of calibres, for decades and was almost universally held to be reliable and effective, if expensive and complicated.
During WW1 the UK evaluated the Madsen (the HMS Excellent trials) and considered it superior to the Lewis and Hotchkiss.

Ross rifle only for snipers
Canada starts building Huot MG View attachment 536300 Canada suplies huots to the commonwhealth to replace Lewis guns ( they continue in aeroplane use) and hotchkiss portative
UK sales smle rifles to Canada
They start using ross rifles because they didnt have smle rifles from UK
Better, Enfield is less stingy and gives Canada the right to licence produce the SMLE back when Canada originally asked to be able to.

The WAR is the proper replacement for the BAR
Too late for WW2 sadly
7x36 is a short cartridge so perhaps bendix—hyde carbine , or the reising garand hybrid1539.jpghydecarbine5mod-768x596.jpg