Anyone knows what to do if someone is selling a flag I made without me giving any permission or them crediting me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would I have the right to demand anything?

Update: I came to an agreement with the KR team and the issue has been resolved now. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Last edited:
This is the flag:

I also posted it in Reddit (I'm u/Arcvalons) :

And the HoI4 Kaiserreich team is selling it here:

They use it in their mod, but never asked permission or anything. I didn't really mind until I saw today that they have been selling it.

This is the flag:

They use it in their mod, but never asked permission or anything. I didn't really mind until I saw today that they have been selling it.
Well, here's yet another reason for me to dislike KR more.
Sorry to hear that, if you're okay with them selling it, maybe reach out and ask for royalties or a cut of the profits?
If that doesn't work, your best bet might be to look into legal options.

Last edited:
As you did not exclusively create that map (in the Reddit thread you discuss how the coat of arms is a modified form of what someone else made), you cannot really demand anything.

As you did not exclusively create that map (in the Reddit thread you discuss how the coat of arms is a modified form of what someone else made), you cannot really demand anything.
That...that doesn't really exonerate them or excuse the fact that they're making a profit off of stolen art. If anything, it makes it worse because they're profiting off of the stolen work of two different artists without permission or credit.

I guess I will try contacting the person in charge of the store to see if I can get credit at least.

I guess I will try contacting the person in charge of the store to see if I can get credit at least.
I'd look into a cease and desist letter like Analytical Engine suggested, to be honest with you. Even if you can't get a portion of the profits, it's still incredibly scummy to steal a design you made that includes elements from yourself and another artist and sell it for profit.

The most immediate step that you could take without looking into lawyers or lawsuits would be to send a cease and desist letter. If the comply with the letter, that at least prevents them from continuing to profit off your work. Incidentally, that would include its use in the mod, whether or not they were making profits off it.

The cease and desist letter threatens legal action without starting it, so make sure to keep a copy of the letter you send yourself. It's also a good idea to send the letter by a procedure like registered mail so you have confirmation that they've received it, in case you did need to follow up with a lawsuit.

You don't need to be a lawyer to send a cease and desist letter, but there's nothing wrong with contacting them seeking an explanation before you send one. If so, it's a good idea to make sure whoever you contact knows that a cease and desist letter will be coming if they don't take action to correct their infringement of your copyright. It's possible you'll be able to come to an arrangement that satisfies you without any additional hassle, depending on how reasonable they are. Unfortunately, when it comes to actually enforcing copyright, the process can indeed be lengthy and expensive, as Analytical Engine said.

That...that doesn't really exonerate them or excuse the fact that they're making a profit off of stolen art. If anything, it makes it worse because they're profiting off of the stolen work of two different artists without permission or credit.
I wasn't suggesting it did exonerate them. I suppose I can come off blunt off the Internet, but that wasn't intentional.

My suggestion to @LNSS is to contact the other person who made the artwork, and work with them in taking any action.

Last edited:
I wasn't suggesting it did exonerate them. I suppose I can come off blunt off the Internet, but that wasn't intentional.

My suggestion to @LNSS is to contact the other person who made the artwork, and work with them in taking any action.
It's all good. That was more my misinterpretation of things and general frustration about the situation than anything you said, to be honest.

chankljp

Donor
This is the flag:

Have you tried contacting them about this first, and see how they respond to you? I know that a few of the maps that they sell on the site were created by an outside artist who is no longer part of the team, but he still gets paid a royalty for his work, so this kind of art theft feels out of character for them to be engaging in willingly. For all we know, your flag design could have been stolen by of the the mod's artist who claim to have made it themselves, with the people running the web store not being aware of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.