AMX-40 in Iraqi Service

Could the Iraqis have secured any AMX-40s by 1990? If so, what is a reasonable, number of units to be secured. My thinking is the United States worked with France to compete with the Soviet Union arms sales. The Reagan Administration would see the AMX-40 as providing a more capable tank. If production was started in 1985 how many systems could reasonably be expected by 1990? 500 systems too high? Would the Republican Guard have been armed with such a system?
I know this would not have alter the war in any significant way but I am working on an alternate pre-history of the war. Just wondering if this possible without the Bats flapping their wings.

The AMX40 was not that much more protected than what the Iraqi's had already. Whilst it had better fire control than their existing armour it was not that much better and in a mobile battle against Western M1 and Challenger 1 tanks would have been at a disadvantage.

The Iraqi's main issue was that they were tactically inept and badly trained, they could have had the latest tanks and still been massacred. When you add total air supremacy they would just be more reactive targets for USAF A10's, US Marine AV8B's and RAF/French Jaguars.