Alternative international languages of diplomacy.

What about Esperanto?

What if the French wouldn't have voted against it in the Leauge of Nation vote for making it their working language, and then after WW2 that would also become the working language of the UN.

Then, having been proven to work on a large scale in the UN, the European Community would decide to make it it's working language. The Soviet Union would become much more anti-Esperanstist as now the language is synonis with the "capitalist, American-dominated corruped Western Europe". Esperantist underground movements in Poland and the Baltic states spread the learning of the language as part of their anti-communist ideology.

After the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, the newly formed EU with it's 27 states has Esperanto it's official language, overcoming the translation difficulties and so becomes much more integrated in terms of economy and politics. This helps to push the language to become an internation language of diplomacy.

What about Esperanto?

What if the French wouldn't have voted against it in the Leauge of Nation vote for making it their working language, and then after WW2 that would also become the working language of the UN.

Then, having been proven to work on a large scale in the UN, the European Community would decide to make it it's working language. The Soviet Union would become much more anti-Esperanstist as now the language is synonis with the "capitalist, American-dominated corruped Western Europe". Esperantist underground movements in Poland and the Baltic states spread the learning of the language as part of their anti-communist ideology.

After the collapse of the Eastern Bloc, the newly formed EU with it's 27 states has Esperanto it's official language, overcoming the translation difficulties and so becomes much more integrated in terms of economy and politics. This helps to push the language to become an internation language of diplomacy.

Wow, I would´ve liked to have lived in that ATL. Darn the French

How about Hindi as a language of international diplomacy?

As Leo said, first you have to get all the Indians to agree to use it. This is something which has so far eluded the Indian government since South Indians see the propotion of Hindi as an effort by North Indians to assert their dominance.

Katipunero: Sanskrit's pretty much in the same boat as Latin. Relatively few people know it and it's used for very specific purposes, not as a language of general communication.

As Leo said, first you have to get all the Indians to agree to use it. This is something which has so far eluded the Indian government since South Indians see the propotion of Hindi as an effort by North Indians to assert their dominance.

I do agree with both of you. My though, however, centered around an India that won its independence and went Communist early in the 20th century. My thoughts on the matter might be too influenced by the Soviet model, but essentially Hindi would be to Communist India and its allies what Russian was in the USSR and Warsaw Pact.