Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alt. Indien Panzer.png

Another alternate Panther (a Mk.II this time), took the Indian Panzer and gave it an interleaved wheel suspension instead of the other way around like I usually do.

marathag

Banned
Oh well. I'll try something different next time.
I do like your creations, that was the only one you had done that really wouldn't have worked.

I'm thinking it would look similar to the Japanese Type 5 Na-To
1644153015476.png
1644152930464.png
1644152975564.png

with a mid drivers compartment and open gun position in the rear, similar to SU-76, but with the far more powerful D-44 /L55 85mm Divisional Gun
1644153363766.png
or 100mm BS-3 /L53.5 Field Gun
1644153454834.png

for a more mobile gun, it may even need one more roadwheel spliced in to make the fighting compartment long enough

I do like your creations, that was the only one you had done that really wouldn't have worked.

I'm thinking it would look similar to the Japanese Type 5 Na-To
View attachment 716741View attachment 716739View attachment 716740
with a mid drivers compartment and open gun position in the rear, similar to SU-76, but with the far more powerful D-44 /L55 85mm Divisional Gun
View attachment 716744 or 100mm BS-3 /L53.5 Field GunView attachment 716745
for a more mobile gun, it may even need one more roadwheel spliced in to make the fighting compartment long enough
I've done more than a few designs that wouldn't have worked, I don't have Claymore's expertise and knowledge about armoured vehicle designs.

Here's further proof of such.
Alt. Indien Tiger.png

Alternate Tiger.

Last edited:
It was never intended to enter service! It was purely a test vehicle. They couldn't source a 17 Pdr from the UK but wanted to test the Sentinel mounting one so hit upon use two 25 Pdrs simulteanously. It was not intended as a service mounting. The turret was loaded and then vacated when the weapon was fired. Its greatest contribution was to the development of the Firefly. The British read about it and decided to mount a 17 Pdr in a Sherman turret.
I never said it did enter service. If you read closely, I said that it would have been a nightmare IF it had somehow entered service.

That makes one wonder what WW1 would have been like if one side, or just the British, had deployed significant numbers of armoured cars. Numbers sufficient to get in amongst the Germans and disrupt them, perhaps in a similar manner that Whippet tanks did later in the war. Might it be enough to defeat the Germans and force an end to the war?

On the other hand, if the Germans had used large numbers of armoured cars (and lorries for supporting infantry/artillery) and pulled an early Blitzkrieg, the war would very likely have been over by Christmas? Certainly the race to the sea could have had a very different ending.
What, no trust in the French, who had the largest car industry in the world at the time?

Actually, of all the powers before the war starts, I would have the French as most likely to have tried forming AC brigades or regiments as part of the 'offense to the utmost' strategy general principle the French were going on when the war started. The technical and industrial capacity was certainly there, all it needed was some mid-level officer to have gone "let's try something like this" in a few wargames to get the attention of the generals.
Conversely, Germany's General Staff were well capable of trying motorized/armoured car formations, particularly if they had adopted a strategic plan that prioritized Russia instead of France and you couldn't use Russian rail gauges to move troops and equipment until you'd captured your own rolling stock. If the Kaiser was a car nerd instead of a battleship nerd, that would also help...
As for the British, the BEF was just too small to make much of a difference, even if they had chosen to motorize the whole thing pre-war.
In all cases, there's an easy conceptual leap from horse cavalry to motor cavalry, performing the same breakthrough role. I'm sure someone on every side came up with proposals, only to run up against 100+ years of Capital-T TRADITION. An uphill battle if ever there was one in an age when the infantry charge was still considered credible tactics against fortified positions.

Once the war starts I'm afraid it's a little late on the Western Front for armoured cars to make a difference. It's in the Battle of the Frontiers that one side or the other having 'motorized cavalry' regiments is going to make the biggest impact: once the trenches start being dug then the utility of the armoured car goes the same way as the horse cavalry its supposed to replace and you're left waiting for tanks.

Driftless

Donor
One other point with armored cars: Germany, France, and Great Britain had respectable to high quality road networks at that point, so their automotive industries were logically skewed towards vehicles running on good surfaces (mostly). Yes, I realize that's a gross generalization, but I think with a core of reality. The Russians and much later, the Americans had a mix of road from top quality city streets to gawd-awful country paths that covered much of their land mass. Even then, both Russia and the US automotive industries were skewed towards cars and trucks meant to run on paved streets.

Every countries AC's struggled with mud and mire, especially after the first months of the war. (excluding the Middle East)

Every countries AC's struggled with mud and mire, especially after the first months of the war. (excluding the Middle East)
Indeed, hence my assertion that trying to deploy AC regiments after the Battle of the Frontiers wasn't really going to help. You needed the cross-country/mud-wading ability of tanks to finally break the siege and conditions only got worse as the war went on. There's a much longer window for Germany to start using armoured cars against Russia, but going by historical precedent Germany didn't seem to feel the need to innovate against the Russians when their primary concerns on that front was just getting enough men and shells to counter Russia's massive manpower reserves.
There's a seed for a timeline.
Curse my chronic procrastination, I'd have started that timeline already (because I'd have finished the other idea that I've never started...).

What, no trust in the French, who had the largest car industry in the world at the time?

Actually, of all the powers before the war starts, I would have the French as most likely to have tried forming AC brigades or regiments as part of the 'offense to the utmost' strategy general principle the French were going on when the war started. The technical and industrial capacity was certainly there, all it needed was some mid-level officer to have gone "let's try something like this" in a few wargames to get the attention of the generals.
Conversely, Germany's General Staff were well capable of trying motorized/armoured car formations, particularly if they had adopted a strategic plan that prioritized Russia instead of France and you couldn't use Russian rail gauges to move troops and equipment until you'd captured your own rolling stock. If the Kaiser was a car nerd instead of a battleship nerd, that would also help...
As for the British, the BEF was just too small to make much of a difference, even if they had chosen to motorize the whole thing pre-war.
In all cases, there's an easy conceptual leap from horse cavalry to motor cavalry, performing the same breakthrough role. I'm sure someone on every side came up with proposals, only to run up against 100+ years of Capital-T TRADITION. An uphill battle if ever there was one in an age when the infantry charge was still considered credible tactics against fortified positions.

Once the war starts I'm afraid it's a little late on the Western Front for armoured cars to make a difference. It's in the Battle of the Frontiers that one side or the other having 'motorized cavalry' regiments is going to make the biggest impact: once the trenches start being dug then the utility of the armoured car goes the same way as the horse cavalry its supposed to replace and you're left waiting for tanks.
Although if someone had taken this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kégresse_track onboard pre-war, perhaps there could have been half-track units, which might have given enough cross country mobility to stop trench warfare taking hold?

Or even this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMC_Schneider_P_16

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
Although if someone had taken this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kégresse_track onboard pre-war, perhaps there could have been half-track units, which might have given enough cross country mobility to stop trench warfare taking hold?

It would take a pretty radical leap of faith for enough pre-war half-tracks to be built in quantity to be impactful. Still, even with a couple of hundred units in use, that might provide a kickstart to earlier use of fully-tracked vehicles. You learn what works and what doesn't. As you note in the Kegresse link, the Russians did have some pre-war experience with small numbers of half-tracks and they had a suitable countryside to put them to work - IF they had made more.

I think something like the Kegresse track would have seen use on armoured cars if AC regiments were already in use at the start of the war and the conversion was considered necessary, for example if the opposing side started using artillery to preemptively chew up the ground to limit AC mobility. I really think you'd need the armoured car as part of normal doctrine before anyone would consider half-tracks.
The AMC P16 is a very good example of what a late-war/post-war heavy armoured car could look like: as the weight of armour and weapons increases, you'd probably want the tracks to take the load. Off the roads it wouldn't be much slower than a multi-axle wheeled car I imagine, if at all.

Of course such a thing did indeed exist. The Russians managed to adapt a number (12) of their British-built Austin Armoured Cars by combining them with a Kegresse track system. While not produced in large numbers and late in the war, the resulting Austin-Kegresse Armourer Car/Halftrack had a respectable performance: weight 5.8–5.9 tons; road speed about 25 km/h; and road range 100 km.

9DCC0802-7CD8-4338-BD15-F45F00A896CB.jpeg

Last edited:
Of course such a thing did indeed exist. The Russians managed to adapt a number (12) of their British-built Austin Armoured Cars by combining them with a Kegresse track system. While not produced in large numbers the re#ulting Austin-Kegresse Armourer Car/Halftrack had a respectable performance: weight 5.8–5.9 tons; road speed about 25 km/h; and road range 100 km.
Trust the Russians to develop something that looks utterly hideous and yet retains functionality.

Anyway, that's now added to my fact file for my upcoming TL.

civilian Cars can they be requisitioned by military for use as remote controlled drones ? Possibly useful in urban combat

they can be armored andarmed too

Last edited:
civilian Cars can they be requisitioned by military for use as remote controlled drones ? Possibly useful in urban combat

they can be armored andarmed too
The Goliath was wire remote controlled using early 1940s technology so the idea is sound. Once combined with a microphone, speaker, camera and/or weapons system you can convert vehicles to drones, booby traps,decoys, demolitions tools etc.
Once reliable radio control systems become available their usefulness improves (subject to jamming technology).

Status
Not open for further replies.