Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was designed to be stolen by a future enemy who IOTL designed a good tank but hopefully in this altered timeline would mass produce the bad tank before realizing how bad it is.
The bad tank design would look promising and state of the art at the time of it's introduction but all it's apparent innovative features are dead ends.
Seems rather overconfident of the SI. Any nation worth its salt tested its tanks before putting them into mass-production. The only way this would work is by authorial fiat.

Seems rather overconfident of the SI. Any nation worth its salt tested its tanks before putting them into mass-production. The only way this would work is by authorial fiat.
This might work at a point in time where tank development is still in its infancy and the proper doctrine is not yet understood (which the semaphore somewhat implies). At that point you could design something that looks good on paper and works ok-ish from a purely mechanical standpoint, but is actually realy quite bad on the battlefield.

This might work at a point in time where tank development is still in its infancy and the proper doctrine is not yet understood (which the semaphore somewhat implies). At that point you could design something that looks good on paper and works ok-ish from a purely mechanical standpoint, but is actually realy quite bad on the battlefield.
plus in some cases the generals also wanted to have a say in a design, even though they had no idea about technical things (the general at this stage were still horse minded, with a few exceptions), so that results in some rather bad design choices (and thankfully most of the time common sense prevailed before putting these designs into production)

Gavin Airborne Fire Support Vehicle Update:

I have a scratch built 105mm Abbot barrel, of sorts, which will do the job it is intended for. Built around a 4mm knitting needle, I have used various diameters of white plastic tubing, orange Tamiya masking tape and some Milliput epoxy putty to form the complex shape of the barrel. After a couple of different attempts, the muzzle brake was finally fashioned out of two diameters of plastic tubing and very careful use of a razor saw, modelling knife and some files. The end result works, I think... and gives me a 3mm calibre which at 1:35 scale is an exact match for 105mm. 🥵 👍

Next will have to be the scratch building of the turret itself...

As always, some WIP pics...

Early 1.jpg

I once did an SI tank where the author requested I design the worst possible tank I could think of, that was fun and a little harder than one would think.
I didn't see any bad features that were left out on that one, so it probably worked well enough.

it will be hard to beat the bob semple though lol
Ghana already did that IRL. to quote myself from earlier in the thread
You know we've talked about the Bob Semple here quite a few times to my memory. But have we talked about the one AFV that makes it look good?

Gentlemen I give you the Kantanka Armored Car, finest military vehicle produced by the Ghanian Auto Industry as of 2013

So far the nation in question has stolen the plans and has learned that the nation that came up with the design has taken a pass on the design due to lack of funds.
The nation that stole the plans will probably make a prototype, they are currently building both monster-multi turret tanks and tankettes as they did IOTL.

The P.O.S. as I dubbed this design is very different from what this nation has in their Armory, it looks good on paper, would be more reliable than their super-heavy tanks and better armed and armoured than their tiny tankettes.

It's a gamble and so far even I don't know if they'll take the bait, only the author knows for sure.

It's fine on this forum though, there's plenty of threads where the British do this successfully. To quote one case, the desired result is to be in Britain's position here:
Unnamed British Admiral "Yes we taught the IJN everything they know. Sadly for them, we didn't teach them everything we know."

Interesting but please ensure that all documents posted on this thread bearing a ‘SECRET’ caveat, clearly state that said document has been officially released as declassified. Otherwise, some country’s Official Secrets Act may be being infringed and, consequently, the Forum held culpable - and no one wants that! A simple declaration, and ideally removing the caveat should keep us all above board.

Status
Not open for further replies.