Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the School of Tank Technology Cobra 1954 design was developped from the Comet hull, I made this:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sloped hull and external Christie suspension are the main improvements. Meteorite engine reduces power but reduces length and weight.
Funny how the Cobra essentially uses a scaled down Centurion hull design.

Re the Japanese SS Division: The Nazis racial ideology was always quite flexible and pragmatic with regards to who could somehow be shoehorned into the "arian" category, if it fit some strategic alliance.
In reality there were also quite a number of SS units for foreigners of various nations. If Japan and Germany had been sufficently close to actually be able to exchange personal I think a Japanese SS divison would have been totally plausible.

Seeing the modern "cosplayers" on the other hand feels very strange. In germany the uniforms and symbols are prohibited outside of clear artistic or educational contexts. You can not just go and dress up like this without getting into serious legal trouble. Outside of "particular" circles also nobody would realy get the idea that this might be a suitable costume...

Re the Japanese SS Division: The Nazis racial ideology was always quite flexible and pragmatic with regards to who could somehow be shoehorned into the "arian" category, if it fit some strategic alliance.
In reality there were also quite a number of SS units for foreigners of various nations. If Japan and Germany had been sufficently close to actually be able to exchange personal I think a Japanese SS divison would have been totally plausible.

Seeing the modern "cosplayers" on the other hand feels very strange. In germany the uniforms and symbols are prohibited outside of clear artistic or educational contexts. You can not just go and dress up like this without getting into serious legal trouble. Outside of "particular" circles also nobody would realy get the idea that this might be a suitable costume...
I totally agree with you on all points here and I remembered the SS formed a Muslim division when drawing up the 39th Div. SS shield so yeah what started as a joke is plausible in such a scenario, it's just the scenario itself that's implausible. :biggrin:

Ramontxo

Donor
Since the School of Tank Technology Cobra 1954 design was developped from the Comet hull, I made this:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sloped hull and external Christie suspension are the main improvements. Meteorite engine reduces power but reduces length and weight.
Funny how the Cobra essentially uses a scaled down Centurion hull design.
Why a eight cylinder Meteorite and not an twelve one bigger brother?

I recently learned about the ARL 44 and it was classified as either a heavy tank or a tank destroyer depending upon the source.

I've included the blueprints below and wanted to know what tweaks or changes could be made to the vehicle to make it theoretically more effective on the battlefield. Particularly, in the scenario where the Soviets roll westwards post WW2.

arl_44_90mm-66769.jpg

I totally agree with you on all points here and I remembered the SS formed a Muslim division when drawing up the 39th Div. SS shield so yeah what started as a joke is plausible in such a scenario, it's just the scenario itself that's implausible. :biggrin:
But there was always the distinction between the Aryan/Germanic SS-Divivion and the non-Aryan/Germanic "of the SS" divisions

I recently learned about the ARL 44 and it was classified as either a heavy tank or a tank destroyer depending upon the source.

I've included the blueprints below and wanted to know what tweaks or changes could be made to the vehicle to make it theoretically more effective on the battlefield. Particularly, in the scenario where the Soviets roll westwards post WW2.

arl_44_90mm-66769.jpg
Same as you should do to German heavies, better engine and transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.