Alternative Euro Discoverers of America to Christopher Columbus?

It is nowadays generally accepted that there is some truth to Oscar Wilde's statement of "America had often been discovered before Columbus but it had been hushed up."

In the 1960s Charles Verlinden pushed the theory about Fernão Dulmo/Ferdinand van Olmen being chartered by Portugal five years before Columbus. Alternatively, the argument can be made that Affonso V had chartered Jorge/João Vogado to claim the island of the Antilles "if none had landed there before the Portuguese" in 1475 already.

Then there's Jean Cabot (and several nameless Bristolian fishermen for the English), Didrik Pining, Hans Pothorst (for the Danes) , Martin Benham (a German in Portugal working for Maximilian I) , supposedly Paulmier de Gonneville for the French. Not to mention the Earl Sinclair for the Scots or the Breton/Basque sailors who knew about Labrador and Newfoundland before Columbus set sail.

If we start from the fall of Constantinople in 1453 and end around 1500, which other European/nation could ostensibly claim to have "discovered" the America's before Columbus.

@isabella @Brita @VVD0D95 @RedKing @RedAquilla @Milites

England and Portugal are the two leading candidates to ‘discover’ America. For England all it takes is from one Fisherman to come back with some furs, fish and other resources. As for Portugal all it takes for one ship to hit the Caribbean and return with some gold.

Lusitania

Donor
England and Portugal are the two leading candidates to ‘discover’ America. For England all it takes is from one Fisherman to come back with some furs, fish and other resources. As for Portugal all it takes for one ship to hit the Caribbean and return with some gold.
The discovery of Americas by both countries would change how the continent was viewed. The English arrival in Atlantic Canada / New England would be noted but not the exiting news that Columbus brought. They report rocks, forests, lots of fish and natives. The ones most exited be church with souls to save.
Portuguese would of discovered Brazil on way to India. They not be interested Caribbean either (at least not till 16th century) they continue sailing east to reach India as their only priority.

Last edited:
I was more wondering if there are any specific names or conspiracy theories/urban legends (which is what several aEnglish language articles I've read seem to dismiss Van Olmen as, lumping him in the same category as Vespucci) attached to expeditions pre-Columbus.

I suspect that lowly fishermen discovered the Americas well before royally-approved noblemen.
Fishermen are notoriously secretive about their best fishing holes.

Lusitania

Donor
I suspect that lowly fishermen discovered the Americas well before royally-approved noblemen.
This is why fishermen could of been fishing in Grand Banks for 100 years before Columbus.

There is also Diogo de Teive's voyages in the 1450s, there are some theories that he might have found Newfoundland or North America. Other than that, I agree with the replies before mine that simple fishermen might have found the Americas before Columbus too be them Portuguese, Basque, English, etc.

Uh, Leif Ericson anyone?

I read somewhere that Greenlandic Inuit had stories of another group of outsiders (some have suspected say it hints Basques) of attacking East Settlement near the end of it's existence, probably in the 1430's based on archeological data.

That's something fishermen could do on the way home, perhaps several crews coordinating while drying cod in Newfoundland.

There's evidence that Breton fishermen reached Newfoundland around 1454:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contacts_trans-oc%C3%A9aniques_pr%C3%A9colombiens#P%C3%AAcheurs_europ%C3%A9ens_au_large_de_Terre-Neuve
A quick translation of the third paragraph:
The most significant piece regarding the possible discovery of Newfoundland by Breton fishermen is a charter from Beauport Abbey in Paimpol, dated 1514, stating a dispute beetween the monks and the inhabitants of Bréhat island about rights of tithe established 60 years prior (ie c.1454) on fishing "on the coast of Brittany, Newfoundland, Iceland and elsewhere".
I don't think Brittany would have created settlements before other countries did, especially given its political situation at the time, but depending how things would evolve, it might have later.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
There's evidence that Breton fishermen reached Newfoundland around 1454:

I don't think Brittany would have created settlement before other countries did, especially given its political situation at the time, but depending how things would evolve, it might have later.
outposts I could see but settlements were not really built in the area till late 16th century. There was no value. There was wood and rocks in Europe the fishermen could come to Grand Banks and northern water to fish and catch whales without fear of attacks by other countries. While piracy not really a huge problem when gold and silver was in the Caribbean not north.