Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Contest of Crowns is a fairly inspired parody title (in a manner of speaking).

Well, it's actually not too implausible a title for a book about the history of the Scandinavian countries. The three crowns that are found on both the Swedish and Danish coat of arms certainly are not something they invented, and can be found in many other places, mainly in Germany, but Oxford university has it too on their coat of arms.

It is generally believed that the symbol of three crowns actually has its origins in the Biblical Magi. The Magi of course only appear in the Gospel of Matthew, where they are unnumbered, and it is to be noted that as for their profession, the Greek text only state that they are μάγος, which is a term that originally comes from the Avestan Iranian language where it simply is the name for the priestly caste in the Zoroastrian religion.

During the Middle Ages, folklore pretty much established that there Magi were kings, and that there were three of them, and that their names were Caspar, Melchior, and Balthasar. It is believed that the motif of three crown refer to the crowns of these three Wise Men.

However, since the motif of three crowns really became popular in Scandinavia during the Kalmar Union, the motif was repurposed and appropriated to refer to the three kingdoms that made up the union - Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Thus, if you were to write a book on these three countries struggling for power against one another, A Contest of Crowns would not be a bad title to go for at all.

Also, I read this from wikipedia:

In the 1550s, King Gustav Vasa of Sweden found that the Danish King Christian III had added the three crowns to his own coat of arms. Because the three crowns had been a Swedish symbol since the 14th century and were used by Danish monarchs only during the Kalmar Union, Gustav interpreted Christian III's use of the symbol as a sign of intent to conquer Sweden and resurrect the union. Christian countered that since the monarchs of the union had used the three crowns, the symbol now belonged to both kingdoms and thus he had as much a right as the Swedish king to use it.

In Sweden, on the other hand, the Three Crowns were regarded as an exclusively Swedish symbol; this led to a long-lasting diplomatic conflict between the two countries, the so-called Three Crowns Conflict with Sweden accusing Denmark of imperialism by using a Swedish symbol, and Denmark accusing Sweden of monopolizing the use of a Scandinavian union symbol.

This conflict played a role at the outbreak of the Northern Seven Years' War in 1563. At the beginning of the 17th century the conflict was settled with both countries being allowed to use the Three Crowns in their coats of arms, although in Denmark it has a less prominent place in the shield, and is officially referred to as a heraldic reminder of the former Kalmar Union. Denmark has had this practice since 1546, a practice disputed by Sweden until 1613.
Well, at least it's good Sweden never declared war on Oxford University... Although, on the other hand, a shame we never got to see the Swedish-Oxonian War...

Last edited:
Well, after looking aorund Wikipedia, I have discovered a list of Chancellors, a list of Vice-Chancellors, a list of Registrars, & a Category for Heads of Colleges of Oxford. Perhaps you find what you're looking for by browsing these?

Cheers! :)

dn4khfL.jpg

Thande

Donor
Well, at least it's good Sweden never declared war on Oxford University... Although, on the other hand, a shame we never got to see the Swedish-Oxonian War...
Never mind Oxford University, what about East Anglia, or Hull?

(Though I think their use of the symbol is ultimately derived from the same source as Sweden's due to Viking influence...I think).

Never mind Oxford University, what about East Anglia, or Hull?

(Though I think their use of the symbol is ultimately derived from the same source as Sweden's due to Viking influence...I think).

I believe you are mistaken, my good sir, as there seem to exist no evidence that the motif was used in Scandinavia any earlier than during the 14th century, well after the Vikings had gone home and become pointless peasants the lot of them. While I understand that you, being a Cambridge man, are reluctant to grant Oxford any credit, it would appear that they didn't steal that from us at least.

Apparently, Wikipedia states that some literature even declares that three golden crowns on an azure background was the standard used by King Arthur!

So, allegedly the mythic King Arthur who folklore has it is to have lived in the 5th and 6th centuries used three crowns for his standard, and then beginning in the mid-14th century, the royal house of Sweden starts using it for their standard as well. Now, where is the connection? Well, the Vikings invaded England in the intermediate period, set up the Danelaw, Sweyn Forkbeard, Canute the Great and all that. But they didn't stay for long. Such a massive military campaign to take England, and then barely any effort in trying to keep it? See that has to do with the Vikings weren't looking to take over England because they wanted England, to them, taking over England was merely a mean to find something. Something connected with King Arthur.

...and what is King Arthur associated with?

The Holy Grail!

Oh my god, everything suddenly makes sense!!!

Mq7vRFe.jpg

The Wallonian Revolution in 1838 is an event whose roots can be traced back to the decision at the Congress of Brussels in 1816 to give all of the former Austrian Netherlands to the United Provinces, as the French-speaking Wallonia was never properly integrated, and led to political instability in the reconstituted Republic of the Netherlands for the next two decades. Finally, Wallonia and Luxembourg broke away and declared independence. King Louis XVII acted quick and gave the breakaway Wallonian Republic his country's full military backing. Brussels was partitioned, and Wallonia and Luxembourg would within a year vote by plebiscite to join the Kingdom of France, with Louis XVII making the dauphin's second son Grand Duke.

This would of course end up having severe repercussions in the Empire of the British Isles, where the government received severe criticism for failing to prevent this long dreaded fear of the French getting a hold in the region. Lord █████████'s government would fall, giving the equally eloquent and intelligent James Gascoyne-Cecil, 2nd Marquess of Salisbury the opportunity he had so long waited for to form his first government. Ironically, Lord Salisbury would often find Louis XVII's France to be a reliable ally throughout his premiership, not the least during the █████ian War.

The House of Wallonie became like the House of Orléans over time a powerful cadet branch of the Bourbons. The current Grand Duke of Wallonia, Philippe Honoré, has several times been elected to serve in the Chamber of Peers as a member of Parti Sceptique. He has served as mentor and close friend and advisor to his third cousin once removed King Célestin I.

Last edited:
I love England. I love England so much that I stole my favourite part of England and brought it back to Sweden for this timeline... :eek:

iSiaItw.jpg

Radical College of Stockholm was founded by Jeremy Bentham and the circle of British liberal intellectuals who has gone into voluntary self-exile to Sweden following the Third Jacobite Rising in 1817 and settled in the area of Stockholm that over time would get the name Ängelstad. Bentham's student James Mill went far in adopting to his newfound home country, changing his name to Jakob Qvarn and that of his son to Johan Sigvard Qvarn. This circle decided to put up the Radical College as a secular university that didn't require you to be a member of the Church of Sweden as Lund and Uppsala did, and they received much of their early financial backing from Radical Pietist, Catholic and Jewish donors.

Ah yes, the Treaty of Doncaster. Of course. :p

It's a compromise treaty. The University of Oxford agrees to stop using the three crowns on their seal, and Sweden gives up Västergötland. I've been to Gothenburg. I'd say Sweden got the better part out of that deal.

It's a compromise treaty. The University of Oxford agrees to stop using the three crowns on their seal, and Sweden gives up Västergötland. I've been to Gothenburg. I'd say Sweden got the better part out of that deal.

*LordInsane comes in like a wrecking ball to... probably agree with you, seeing as how he's from Bohuslän IIRC*

I, of course, cannot hate Gothenburg because TRAAAMMMSSSS.

*LordInsane comes in like a wrecking ball to... probably agree with you, seeing as how he's from Bohuslän IIRC*

I, of course, cannot hate Gothenburg because TRAAAMMMSSSS.

"Hey, Oxford it's Sweden... I was just thinking, you wouldn't want Blekinge too? We're willing to trade it if you can just hand over Magdalen and then-... Yes, I know, strictly speaking, this being the 16th century, we don't have Bleking at this point, however... Now, now! Okay, maybe not Magdalen! Trinity? Look, we'll get Blekinge and all the other provinces in that area in a nick of time, just listen! How about Balliol? Queen's? Okay, you're fucking breaking my heart, you're robbing me now... Brasenose, final offer. ... Are you kidding me?! Don't tell me that you guys haven't been looking for an excuse to get rid of Brasenose since-... Hello? Hello?"

Status
Not open for further replies.