Alternate warships of nations

In 1997 as an attempt to find a cheaper alternative to the SSBN the Royal Navy buys into the US idea of the Arsenal Ship.

Commissioned in 2010 HMS Thunderer is armed with many Cruise missiles with the ability to carry either conventional or nuclear warheads, She is the only one commissioned as she proves no cheaper than an SSBN and is more vulnerable to an enemy.

1619279513887.png

View attachment 645233

By 1906 the Federal Republic of America realized that their Navy needed some attention. Their last class of Battleships The Gettysburg Class had been launched almost a decade earlier and their 10 inch guns were no longer competitive with the other Navies of the New World much less the old world powers Britain and France. The Federal Navy had been a primaraly a defensive force for the last 70 years by this point so the new class of battle ship was designed with all of its heavy guns forward. The eight ships of the Federal Class would carry a main battery of six 13inch guns in two triple turrets a design borrowed from their Allies to the south the Commonwealth of American States. Their seconddayr battery consisted of six 8 inch guns in three twin turrets one of which provedied covered the ships stern. Their thrid battery and forut battery cosisted of twelve 7 inch guns in and ten 3 inch guns respectively all in casemate
Some details: I wonder where you will put motive power on this design as the picture does not show a suitable location for this, as all internal volume seems to be occupied by either boilerrooms and magazines. As such this picture is either not the ship mentioned, or there is a bit too much photoshop in this picture done.

The Interwar Navies Game Claims & OOC Thread is now live here. If you have any interest I encourage you to claim a nation, and if you wish to be a mod instead of a player send me a PM.

The Interwar Navies Game has an opening for a German player. We are negotiating the WNT, so you'll have a few days to get a hang of the game before we go to turns.

Last edited:
If you want a summary after some faffing about the Netherlands has made a treaty proposal that differs significantly from the historical one that is being debated.

A collage of ships I've sketched for a sim at another place.

Top row: U-5 class submarine, Type 1912 MTB

Second row: Borys class sealift ship, monitor Szczyt, L-class torpedo boat

Third row: Torpedo-boat carrier Orzel, light cruiser Magdala.

Fourth row: Battleship Anders Angstrom, armored cruiser Lucznik

Fifth row: Battlecruiser Szermierz, armored cruiser Dragon (with and without experimental aviation facilities)

unoin fleet.png

I have heard it mentioned that the 14 inch gun as fitted aboard the British King George the V class battleships was developed to fit into the cradles of the old 13.5 inch gun for testing purposes. However I haven't found anything official that says so, if this true. And does that mean you could exchange the two guns on an older ship?

perfectgeneral

Donor
Monthly Donor
I have heard it mentioned that the 14 inch gun as fitted aboard the British King George the V class battleships was developed to fit into the cradles of the old 13.5 inch gun for testing purposes. However I haven't found anything official that says so, if this true. And does that mean you could exchange the two guns on an older ship?
HMS Leopard can't change her spots, but can change what is in them?

Yep HMS Iron Duke was the vessel that tested the guns that the KGV's would use albeit once the testing was done the guns got swapped back

Given the changes made to her between the wars I don't see how this is possible, she lost two turrets as well as being stripped down substantially to act as a training ship and then a harbour ship.
That's true, but it is possible. She was a gunnery training ship, so a good platform for sea tests...

Do you have a source for this? I can't find anything about it.
Here is something from Avalanche Press. It's to do with Lion but I think it applies here:

Specifically:
The Mark VII would be fitted in the King George V class battleships, in balky four-gun turrets with each gun resting in a cast steel cradle. Apparently for ease of testing, the Mark VII had been designed to also fit the slide cradles for the old 13.5-inch Mark V carried by Lion and Princess Royal. By the time the 14-inch Mark VII entered service only one ship with these weapons remained afloat, the battleship Iron Duke in use as a training ship; proposals to refit her for front-line service went nowhere. This excellent weapon could also have been fitted to the two re-built battle cruisers, in a sound turret design without the mechanical problems suffered by ships like Prince of Wales with the Mark III quadruple turret.

I can't find anything more official, sorry.

So although Iron Duke was a worn out wreck there's no reason her three remaining turrets couldn't have been pulled and used to arm a development of the Renown class Battlecruisers with the new 14" guns? Aternatively those same turrets could have been used for monitors again rearmed with the new 14" guns.

So although Iron Duke was a worn out wreck there's no reason her three remaining turrets couldn't have been pulled and used to arm a development of the Renown class Battlecruisers with the new 14" guns? Aternatively those same turrets could have been used for monitors again rearmed with the new 14" guns.
Unless you want a coastal bombardment ship, but the Revenge Class would be a better alternative (15" guns).

unknown.png

When war began between the United States and Japan in 1931, the USN designers revived an old design concept for a fast battleship capable of acting as a fast wing. While reported as 18 inch armed and 52,000 tons. Admiral Morrison in one of his better moments demanded 16 inch turrets and more armor as he admired the 2nd Reichs battlecruisers and their ability to resist sinking during Jutland. Furthermore, Morrison demanded newer 5 inch cannons as secondary armaments' in turrets as anti-destroyer armaments' proving the man was a visionary and excellent designer but a poor military admiral.

The Constellation class were built from 1931-1936 with only Constellation herself serving in the war.

The battlecruiser, nowadays classed as fast battleship by some historians, proved itself at Yap when she first engaged the Battlecruiser Akagi and managed to blow apart one of her turrets and then avenged the Florida when she slashed the retreating Japanese Battlecruiser wing by crippling Kongo and Hiei before being forced to retreat by the combined fire of Nagato and Mutsu.

However even this proved fortuitous as she came upon the sinking Albany and rescued Rear Admiral Appleton who took her as his flagship and with the cruiser squadron smashed the Japanese heavy cruisers with the squadron sinking four (Mogami, Otowa, Myoko and Nachi) before joining in to sink the crippled Akagi and Mutsu.

After the battle, the USN decided to cease construction of the 25 knot battleships and replace the Standards with Constellation style battleships with more armor and slightly slower.

Constellation and her sisters would remain in service until 1955 with their final duties being missile ship testbeds before being expended for weapons tests and being scrapped.

Constellation would sink on the way to the breakers leading to older sailors calling her a living ship that chose to go out.

unknown.png

When war began between the United States and Japan in 1931, the USN designers revived an old design concept for a fast battleship capable of acting as a fast wing. While reported as 18 inch armed and 52,000 tons. Admiral Morrison in one of his better moments demanded 16 inch turrets and more armor as he admired the 2nd Reichs battlecruisers and their ability to resist sinking during Jutland. Furthermore, Morrison demanded newer 5 inch cannons as secondary armaments' in turrets as anti-destroyer armaments' proving the man was a visionary and excellent designer but a poor military admiral.

The Constellation class were built from 1931-1936 with only Constellation herself serving in the war.

The battlecruiser, nowadays classed as fast battleship by some historians, proved itself at Yap when she first engaged the Battlecruiser Akagi and managed to blow apart one of her turrets and then avenged the Florida when she slashed the retreating Japanese Battlecruiser wing by crippling Kongo and Hiei before being forced to retreat by the combined fire of Nagato and Mutsu.

However even this proved fortuitous as she came upon the sinking Albany and rescued Rear Admiral Appleton who took her as his flagship and with the cruiser squadron smashed the Japanese heavy cruisers with the squadron sinking four (Mogami, Otowa, Myoko and Nachi) before joining in to sink the crippled Akagi and Mutsu.

After the battle, the USN decided to cease construction of the 25 knot battleships and replace the Standards with Constellation style battleships with more armor and slightly slower.

Constellation and her sisters would remain in service until 1955 with their final duties being missile ship testbeds before being expended for weapons tests and being scrapped.

Constellation would sink on the way to the breakers leading to older sailors calling her a living ship that chose to go out.
I remember a story about that. Pretty sure it was OTL too about a military ship being towed to the breakers (I forget which nationality) and while abandoned and under tow, she put her helm hard over, broke the towline and then sank stern first in deep water.

Anybody know that one and her name?

I remember a story about that. Pretty sure it was OTL too about a military ship being towed to the breakers (I forget which nationality) and while abandoned and under tow, she put her helm hard over, broke the towline and then sank stern first in deep water.

Anybody know that one and her name?
That was Warspite.