Alternate Supreme Court Justices

I'm not sure just how many other options Ford realistically had in 1975 with a totally Democratic Senate. Seems like he was pretty limited to John Paul Stevens though he did consider Robert Bork (almost certainly a no so soon after the Saturday Night Massacre) and Dallin Oaks (presumably no due to conservatism). So that seat was probably as close to set as you could get.

So things really get interesting in the Reagan years. Reagan promised the first female Supreme Court Justice but that didn't need to be for his first slot. Hence Orrin Hatch was lobbying to get either Dallin Oaks (who was also one of the finalists alongside Antonin Scalia for the Solicitor General spot that ultimately went to the legendary Rex Lee) and Judge J. Clifford Wallace, both members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Wallace was also a personal friend of Reagan himself. However, Reagan did ultimately want his first pick to be female. He was down between a State Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and the Sixth Circuit Judge Cornelia Kennedy. Ultimately it was Goldwater's lobbying that pushed it to Sandra Day. An earlier Judge Kennedy is probably much more conservative.

Jump to the Scalia seat. It's very possible Reagan appoints Bork to that one and Scalia to a later seat. But Scalia was definitely better at the game and more savvy so I think him getting the seat was more likely than not.

Now the seat that ultimately went to Kennedy is the interesting one. Reagan was seriously considering nominating J. Clifford Wallace after Bork went down. However, the Democratic Senate and the anti-conservative sentiment of the Senate made it so he tried first with Douglas Ginsburg and then Anthony Kennedy. It seems perhaps a better Senate performance in 1986 and maybe we still lose Bork (I think he lost pretty decisively) but can pull off a Clifford Wallace appointment.

HW made two appointments and he was hoping for solid conservatives for both. He failed miserably, being led astray by John Sununu to appoint a very not conservative David Souter to the Court because he was from New Hampshire. The other choice that Reagan seriously was Edith Jones, a Fifth Circuit Judge based in Houston. Strong conservative, the Court definitely would have shifted right from this unlike the wash that Souter was.

Finally, there's Michael Luttig, a power player in judicial politics, with his hands in the Supreme Court constantly with all his contacts. A feeder judge and serious player, he was seen as a shoe-in for the Supreme Court by any Republican administration in the 2000s though his ultimate goal was the Chief Justice spot. Ultimately, his heart was broken when Bush instead appointed Roberts and Alito after a bit of a spat broke out. Luttig knew his time was over and immediately resigned to make millions as in-house counsel for Boeing.

So yeah, there's definitely a world where we have a Justice Kennedy and a Justice Ginsburg but they're hardcore conservatives!

Here's another idea. Before asking Dewey, Ike actually asked John Foster Dulles. I wonder what a Dulles Court would look like and perhaps more importantly, what effect Dulles being occupied that would have on Eisenhower's foreign policy. Dulles also died in 1959, so Ike would probably get to replace him, which would be fun.
Supposedly, and I'm not sure if this is just a rumor or not, but I've heard Dewey offered the Chief Justice spot to J. Edgar Hoover if he won in 1948. Now that's an interesting possibility as well.

Also, for more Gilded Age justices, both Roscoe Conkling and George Edmunds were offered seats on the Supreme Court and turned them down.
If Roosevelt had been re-elected in 1908, I don't think there would be an issue with him nominating Taft; bear in mind that he and Taft were still on good enough terms that IOTL Taft was Roosevelt's handpicked successor, and this was before he and Roosevelt broke with each other over the Pinchot-Ballinger controversy.

I was not aware of there being and personal issues between Roosevelt and Hughes?

Also, I am aware this is technically not alternate supreme court justices, but what do you think the odds are of Roosevelt considering Louis Brandeis for nomination earlier than Wilson did IOTL?
One thing to note with Chief Justice Taft was that he basically picked his own nominees to the Court while he was Chief Justice. Harding admittedly was more willing to follow, but Taft lobbied for very specific people (and is the reason Cardozo wasn't appointed earlier as he called him a Communist). I think it would be interesting if Roosevelt would give some deference to Taft in picking the Supreme Court or if an early rift would happen with both men feuding over the appointments.

dcharles

Banned
Supposedly, and I'm not sure if this is just a rumor or not, but I've heard Dewey offered the Chief Justice spot to J. Edgar Hoover if he won in 1948. Now that's an interesting possibility as well.

One of the rare cases where CJ SCOTUS is an obvious demotion.

:- )

On one hand, scary.

On the other, better than OTL. He's only one of nine and we might not end up with the culture of abuse and lawlessness in the FBI.

One of the rare cases where CJ SCOTUS is an obvious demotion.

:- )

On one hand, scary.

On the other, better than OTL. He's only one of nine and we might not end up with the culture of abuse and lawlessness in the FBI.
At the same time, I'm not sure Hoover really intended to keep his hands out of the FBI. I bet he would have been a serious problem as Chief Justice. Either that or he gets complete cut off.

Mario Cuomo was the frontrunner both for the seat that went to Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the seat that went to Stephen Breyer. He was reportedly very close to accepting both times, even accepting and then backing out from occupying Breyer's seat (which pissed off Clinton). If he served until his death in 2015 and Obama got to choose his successor, the balance towards the Court would probably be 5-4.

sprite

Donor
A few politicans come to mind, if they took the judicial road.

Pat Brown (Catholic DA from a big state), Warren Christopher (clerked for Douglas), Arlen Specter (assistant counsel on the Warren Commission).

Carla Anderson Hills and Samuel Pierce, both Secretaries of House and Urban Development are good minority picks for a moderate Republic administration.

bguy

Donor
On one hand, scary.

IIRC Hoover's deal with Dewey involved Hoover first being made Attorney General (with him getting the Supreme Court position when it opened up), and with Clyde Tolson being made Assistant Attorney General (to become Attorney General upon Hoover ascending to the Supreme Court) and Louis Nichols being made Director of the FBI. Since Tolson and Nichols were Hoover's top men, you would still have a Hoover dominated FBI.

Mario Cuomo was the frontrunner both for the seat that went to Ruth Bader Ginsburg and the seat that went to Stephen Breyer. He was reportedly very close to accepting both times, even accepting and then backing out from occupying Breyer's seat (which pissed off Clinton).
Okay, so two times of vacillation. Plus in 1992 when he vacillated whether or not to run for President. I don’t want to say based on only 3 data points,

but Mario seemed to have trouble coming to decisions about his personal career trajectory.

And, I like governors. Potentially very practical-minded individuals. I think that would be good for the Court. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Earl Warren might have been the only Governor who ended up on the Court. And William Howard Taft the only former President. And both of them CJ no less, although given the relatively small size of the Supreme Court, leadership either strong or weak has less of an effect.

s-l1600.jpg

page 256:

The book The Brethren by Scott Armstrong and Bob Woodward (1979) focuses on one particular year seven terms of the Court from the 1969 to 1976, something like 1971 or 1972. In the 1972 term, there was a scene in which Byron White Potter Stewart asked Harry Blackmun Lewis Powell, Jr. why he went a particular way in a decision.

Harry Lewis said, I decided to go with the leadership on that one. Byron Potter is stunned. Because the new guy means Chief Justice Burger, but Byron Potter thinks of himself and two other centrists as the leadership determining which way the Court will go in each particular case.

In the October 1972 - June 73 term (“72 term”), the centrists were Potter Stewart, Byron White, and sometimes . . Lewis Powell, Jr.

Edit: Memory is a funny (strange) thing. Because I generally got the story right, but the names wrong!

Last edited:
and keep them coming !

M4V6JWHQTNOGXJ7B7QYBJUOD6U.jpg

Bob Ray, Republican governor of Iowa

“ . . governor of Iowa from January 16, 1969 to January 14, 1983. . ”

“ . . Ray served as a delegate to the United Nations Conference on Refugees in Geneva, Switzerland in 1979. . . . . on behalf of Southeast Asian Tai Dam refugees. Ray agreed to bring the group to the United States by creating his own refugee resettlement program. Ray announced that the state of Iowa would accept 1,500 additional refugees in January 1979. . ”

“ . . Ray also enacted the first laws in the U.S. that protected American Indian graves. .”

Some controversy on both counts, but at least he’s putting [his state’s] money where his mouth is.

And he lived a long life post-governorship. Although he did struggle with Parkinson’s disease later in life.

Last edited:

dcharles

Banned
Russ Feingold is a gold star candidate--a real lawyer's lawyer and former Senator. I think realistically, he would have been a shoe in for confirmation for any vacancy post 2000ish, especially after the passage of BCRA in 02.

I dunno why he hasn't gotten much love for SCOTUS OTL.

Russ Feingold is a gold star candidate--a real lawyer's lawyer and former Senator. I think realistically, he would have been a shoe in for confirmation for any vacancy post 2000ish, especially after the passage of BCRA in 02.

I dunno why he hasn't gotten much love for SCOTUS OTL.

It's actually fairly rare for elected officials to be nominated, probably because they would have been perceived as too partisan.

dcharles

Banned
It's actually fairly rare for elected officials to be nominated, probably because they would have been perceived as too partisan.

It hasn't happened in a while, but there's a lot of precedent for it--Taft, Hughes, Jay, Marshall, Black, Minton, Warren, Vinson, etc, etc. And many more have been political appointees to Federal agencies, so I don't think the argument holds much water.

It hasn't happened in a while, but there's a lot of precedent for it--Taft, Hughes, Jay, Marshall, Black, Minton, Warren, Vinson, etc, etc. And many more have been political appointees to Federal agencies, so I don't think the argument holds much water.
The politics of confirmation changed after the backlash to the Warren Court, which I think made it harder to confirm an elected official, hence why no former member of Congress was appointed to the Court since the Truman administration, and the last Supreme Court justice with any elected experience was Sandra Day O'Connor.

The politics of confirmation changed after the backlash to the Warren Court, which I think made it harder to confirm an elected official, hence why no former member of Congress was appointed to the Court since the Truman administration, and the last Supreme Court justice with any elected experience was Sandra Day O'Connor.
Also since the Bork hearings, the modus operandi is nominating judges from one of the Circuit Court of Appeals (so there's no issue of qualifications) and frankly someone with fairly little paper trail or too controversial of rulings. Then they spend the entire hearing saying nothing of substance, refusing to comment on cases on the off chance that it may show up again, etc etc. In fact, I think Roberts was one of the last ones to actually go more in detail and he kind of went off on Schumer when Schumer got snippy with him.

Besides, there's no real reason to appoint an elected official. The judges are just as partisan anyway.

dcharles

Banned
Besides, there's no real reason to appoint an elected official. The judges are just as partisan anyway.

Which is basically why the argument holds no water with me. Judges are partisan, everyone knows this. Allmost all that matters is whether the President's party is in the majority.