Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

@DUWANG

That sounds about right, but what is the largest do you think Mars could have formed as? What would make sense for the composition of the planet?
Oh that's a big question that I don't think I can really answer. Probably like OTL Mars without some drastic ASB, because remember that Jupiter literally defined how big the closest rocky planet can be.

So probably only the hypothetical first batch of Rocky planets (all of which were bigger than Earth it seems) in the inner system could give you a big Para-Mars.

Composition wise I don't have any ideas really if Mars was bigger. Because the stuff around Mars was simply a bit different than in the Venus/Earth region. Less iron, different rocks and more ice water.

@DUWANG

That makes logical sense to me. So perhaps for this scenario I would say that Mars forms around the mass of Earth with the composition it has in our timeline. I think that it would have the same orbit, and because the Earth and the Asteroid belt are far enough away from it, it shouldn't affect it too much? My goal is to have a different kind of Mars that doesn't impact the Earth's orbit or the Asteroid belt that much.

I'm going to be building a more detailed alternate solar system, and as for Venus that I wrote that you saw - I'll bump the atmosphere up to like 70% that of Earth's, since that sounds more reasonable for an Atmospheric Pressure for Venus.

@DUWANG

Made my alternate Venus in a wikibox template. I kept the mass, etc as Venus is in real life due to simplicity.

Image 10-28-23 at 20.01.jpg

So... I might try to make a weird thing set on a terraformed Mars
It would have elements of speculative evolution, geology (well, more of erosion and accretion, that's how much one can get geologic on Mars XD), "speculative history" (basically alternate history with a focus on realism but not set on Earth), conlanging
You can call it ASB if you want despite everything except the terraforming being realistic, since the force doing the terraforming and maintaining the planetary habitability for millions of years will be pretty much ASB, however, I have prejudices against the label "ASB", I (incorrectly) think that ASB equals totally unsensical, unrealistic and childish stuff.
It's really cursed, so I am here to ask a question: While I know that for the planet-building process this thread will suffice, but after I (hopefully) finish the planet-building process, does it deserve its own thread? And if so, in which forum?

Sounds nice, both the evolution and the geology. Not sure about the forum, perhaps Future History if it will be terraformed by humans? If it was made by intelligent dinosaurs, they probably would get mixed in with the unfairly maligned bats, geological timelines are also there.

Let me be more clear, it's basically somehow (this is what I would like to leave unexplained because it just simply doesn't make sense) Mars is terraformed, Earth animals are imported there, the terraformed planet is maintained habitable for millions of years, life there evolves and adjusts, and then, for literally no reason, humans (probably cloned versions of present day humans, idek) appear with no technology or anything, and are left to survive on a hostile planet with weird animals.
So, I had the opportunity to think about this while writing the above paragraph and I think if I manage to explain and connect all of these events with a somewhat sensical plot device, I can make the thread go in Future History.

Let me be more clear, it's basically somehow (this is what I would like to leave unexplained because it just simply doesn't make sense) Mars is terraformed, Earth animals are imported there, the terraformed planet is maintained habitable for millions of years, life there evolves and adjusts, and then, for literally no reason, humans (probably cloned versions of present day humans, idek) appear with no technology or anything, and are left to survive on a hostile planet with weird animals.
So, I had the opportunity to think about this while writing the above paragraph and I think if I manage to explain and connect all of these events with a somewhat sensical plot device, I can make the thread go in Future History.
Yeah... things that "simply don't make sense" and happen for "literally no reason" is rather the the definition of ASB.

Hmm...
What would be the minimum average global temperature for a terraformed Mars (with mirrors and stuff to increase insolation, and an atmospheric composition identical to Earth's) to be able to support complex and diverse life? From what I have read, Earth's would need to be around -10 degrees Celsius (after taking Milankovitch cycles and other potential changes into account), but I don't know if Mars's size and hemispheric dicthonomy (northern hemisphere being a few kilometers lower than southern hemisphere on average) would increase the minimum temperature required for what I want.
I think Mars would still have weathering of rocks from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere despite it lacks plate tectonics and volcanism, but that should end some time after the initial terraforming.
Also, as a note on why do I have such specific desires, I just want Mars to be colder than the coldest Earth has ever seen since Cryogenian.

Hmm...
What would be the minimum average global temperature for a terraformed Mars (with mirrors and stuff to increase insolation, and an atmospheric composition identical to Earth's) to be able to support complex and diverse life? From what I have read, Earth's would need to be around -10 degrees Celsius (after taking Milankovitch cycles and other potential changes into account), but I don't know if Mars's size and hemispheric dicthonomy (northern hemisphere being a few kilometers lower than southern hemisphere on average) would increase the minimum temperature required for what I want.
I think Mars would still have weathering of rocks from carbon dioxide in the atmosphere despite it lacks plate tectonics and volcanism, but that should end some time after the initial terraforming.
Also, as a note on why do I have such specific desires, I just want Mars to be colder than the coldest Earth has ever seen since Cryogenian.
Pretty sure that's going to seriously change the likelihood of life on Mars coming into existence (which we don't know the process of completely anyway maybe Mars is too small for some reason?) or at the least cut back on biodiversity.

Pretty sure that's going to seriously change the likelihood of life on Mars coming into existence (which we don't know the process of completely anyway maybe Mars is too small for some reason?) or at the least cut back on biodiversity.
I think I couldn't explain, it's not native life, it's imported Earth life evolving

I think I couldn't explain, it's not native life, it's imported Earth life evolving
Bacteria and lichen and stuff would probably do amazingly as they have in every Earth niche but if they've not evolved alongside the natural Martian environment I'm sure that many potential issues could still arise.... but evolution and natural selection should deal with that lol

any of y'all have that super detailed solar system map that has worlda-style maps that are vaguely proportioned to size of each planet in the solar system

Here is my take on alternate Mars (Neptune).

dggjju3-81d3ad1c-c34c-4cdf-ace3-c14a5430ea0d.jpg

The second entry for my alternate solar system project - involves Neptune. Instead of the Mars in our reality, the planet forms much larger and takes on the name Neptune from Early humans. I have kept some of the details vague as I do not have accurate descriptions or a way to properly calculate them.

---

As the majestic "Big Brother" of our inner solar system, Neptune stands out as the largest terrestrial planet, boasting a mass approximately two and a half times that of Earth. Its enchanting blue appearance, which captivated early humans, led to its name derived from the Roman God Neptune. For centuries, Neptune's ethereal blue hue sparked countless legends and myths, evoking a sense of wonder and intrigue.

It was during the modern era that humanity began to unravel the secrets of Neptune. Pioneer astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli made groundbreaking telescopic observations, unveiling the planet's distinct clouded blue appearance. Initially, many believed Neptune to be a gas giant. However, continued observations throughout the 19th and 20th centuries revealed a surprising array of 17 small asteroidal moons orbiting the planet. These moons bear names inspired by water and sea-related deities from mythology. Among them, Triton reigns as the largest, measuring approximately 100 miles across. With its oblong shape, Triton orbits Neptune in close proximity. Intriguingly, Triton defies convention by orbiting in the opposite direction to the planet's rotation - as a captured moon. Triton is doomed to be broken apart by Neptune's gravity within the next few million years. Neptune is much colder than Earth.

Neptune rotates on it's side, and a year on Neptune is about twice that of Earth. Also accompanying Neptune is a thin ring system only visible with high power telescopes.

In the 1950s, it was discovered that Neptune is not infact a gas planet, but an Oceanic planet with a global ocean of water that extends across the entire surface of the planet. Hidden beneath its thick atmosphere, composed of water, nitrogen, and carbon dioxide, lies a vast global ocean that stretches across the entire planet's surface. The mysteries of this planetary-wide ocean continue to captivate scientists and explorers. Numerous probes have been sent to Neptune, capturing some of the first images of another planet seen from space and shedding light on the planet's enigmatic features.