Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

I have recently visited Worldbuilding Pasta's article on how the length of day affects climate. However, the different maps also come with different concentrations of carbon dioxide.

earth05d15ex%20_interp.png

Climate map of Earth with a 12-hour rotation and CO2 concentrations of 300 parts per million

earth2d15ex_interp.png

Climate map of Earth with a 48-hour rotation and CO2 concentrations of 338 parts per million

earth5d15ex%20_interp.png

Climate map of Earth with a 120-hour rotation and CO2 concentrations of 510 parts per million

earth10d15ex_interp.png

Climate map of Earth with a 240-hour rotation and carbon dioxide concentrations of 791 parts per million

earth30d15ex2_interp.png

Climate map of Earth with a 720-hour rotation and carbon dioxide concentrations of 2,609 parts per million

All very impressive, but I'm left wondering. How would the climate of these different rotations look if the CO2 concentrations vary between 180 (like in the Pleistocene) and 480 (like right now) parts per million?

Inspired by these Climate Exploration articles:

Temperature
Axial Tilt
Day Length

For some time, I've been repurposing the nine realms of Norse mythology through a speculative evolutionary lens. Now I won't list you all of them, as I have no idea as to what Nidavellir or Helheim should best represent, but here is what I've got thus far:

PROGRADE: Muspelheim, Midgard, Vanaheim, Nidavellir
RETROGRADE: Niflheim, Asgard, Jotunheim, Alfheim, Helheim
BIOMES CHOSEN TO REPRESENT EACH PLANET: Niflheim (Sea ice and tundra), Muspelheim (Coral reef, seagrass meadow, mangrove forest, tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forest, tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forest, tropical and subtropical coniferous forest and coal swamp forest), Asgard (Earth, but in reverse), Midgard (Earth), Jotunheim (Kelp forest, mangrove forest, tropical and subtropical moist broadleaf forest, tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forest, tropical and subtropical coniferous forest, temperate broadleaf and mixed forest, temperate coniferous forest, taiga and Mediterranean forest, woodland and scrub), Vanaheim (Seagrass meadow, tropical and subtropical grassland, savanna and shrubland, temperate grassland, savanna and shrubland, flooded grassland and savanna, montane grassland and shrubland and mammoth steppe), Alfheim (Desert and xeric shrubland), Nidavellir (???) and Helheim (???)

Using a combination of day length, temperature and obliquity, which combination will result in these planets being represented by these listed biomes?

TAIYANG SYSTEM

A preliminary report of the Taiyang System from the Coeus 2 Mission. Taiyang is a G2V star of 1 solar mass and a luminosity of 1. Taiyang is almost identical to our sun. Taiymg is orbited by 7 planets, 5 are terrestrial and 2 are gas giants. The inner 5 are terrestrial and the outer 2 are the gas giants. At first glance the Taiyang System could be mistaken for our own solar system. The planets have the following names;

Shuxing
Jinxing
Diqiu
Huoxing
Gushenxing
Muxing
Tuxing

Something very remarkable about the Taiyand System is that 2 planets are habitable, Diqiu and Huoxing.

Updates will be reported as more information is relayed back to Earth.

This system is modeled after our Solar System with a change in the Titus-Bode Law. I wondered what our Solar System would be like is the parameters were modified slightly. I tried to keep this as close to our actual system with just a few minor changes,

TAIYANG SYSTEM

A preliminary report of the Taiyang System from the Coeus 2 Mission. Taiyang is a G2V star of 1 solar mass and a luminosity of 1. Taiyang is almost identical to our sun. Taiymg is orbited by 7 planets, 5 are terrestrial and 2 are gas giants. The inner 5 are terrestrial and the outer 2 are the gas giants. At first glance the Taiyang System could be mistaken for our own solar system. The planets have the following names;

Shuxing
Jinxing
Diqiu
Huoxing
Gushenxing
Muxing
Tuxing

Something very remarkable about the Taiyand System is that 2 planets are habitable, Diqiu and Huoxing.

Updates will be reported as more information is relayed back to Earth.

This system is modeled after our Solar System with a change in the Titus-Bode Law. I wondered what our Solar System would be like is the parameters were modified slightly. I tried to keep this as close to our actual system with just a few minor changes,
What are the habitable planets like? Do they have life on them?

Usually in my alternate solar system ideas, I will combine elements of Alternate History. This is something that is intended to be more realistic. Assume that history itself doesn't change, because what I am changing about these planets will not affect the course of history up until the modern era too much. Some of this information listed here may already be recycled from previous works of mine. I wonder what people's thoughts on this will be.
Inner Sol System

In total the Inner Sol System has 5 planets being ,Anthelioli, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars.

Anthelioli

The Planet Anthelioli is about 9% the mass of Earth. It's composition is almost entirely of Iron, granting it a strong gravitational pull for a planet of it's size. The planet is also rather dark for a planetary body, so any observation of the planet was made even more difficult thanks to the planet's dark appearance. The most important bit about it, is that it takes merely 6 days to orbit around the Sun. Because of this close proximity to the Sun, the planet is entirely within the glare of the Sun and makes the planet almost entirely invisible when viewed from Earth. It has the appearance of Charcoal. It also has zero atmosphere due to the solar wind whipping it's atmosphere off. Because of it's majority iron composition, it is host to a strong magnetic field. The planet is also tidally locked, and has no moons. It's nightside is one of the coldest places in the entire solar system, despite it also being the hottest. Discovery of the planet was only possible thanks to modern telescopes in the late 19th to 20th centuries, with records of the planet's existence being attributed to Sunspots in ancient times. The planet's orbit is also slightly eccentric and inclined, meaning that transits are not always a frequent occurrence (similar to Mercury transits in our world).

Mercury

Mercury is the largest planet in the inner solar system, at 3.4x the mass of Earth. The planet itself orbits closer to the Sun, slightly than in our world. Unlike in our universe, Mercury here has very little to no eccentricity in it's orbit. Though the planet also has a darker appearance than in our world - it is one of the most heavily cratered objects in the entire Solar System. Without a major atmosphere being present, along with it's large surface gravity means it often gets hit by meteors and asteroids. Mercury has a 3:4 rotation to orbit resonance, meaning it rotates three times for every 4 times it orbits. This makes it's day longer than it's year. Mercury has no known moons.

Venus

Venus has the same orbital period and mass as in our world, though the planet Venus does not have the thick atmosphere it does here as in reality. Venus has a thinner atmosphere, at roughly 80% the pressure of Earth's. It's atmosphere is roughly +90% Carbon Dioxide. The surface of Venus is a barren wasteland with little surface water. Though, surface water lakes and ponds do exist near the poles. The planet is able to support life, and has the most favorable conditions for life outside of that of Earth. Humans would be able to visit this planet without having to wear pressure suits, though they would need to wear breathing masks and wear proper protection against Solar Rays. A day on Venus is 22 hours, with the planet having a 24 degree axial Tilt, making it more similar to Earth. Advances in optical discovery, have proven the existence of three small moons. Their names would be Cupid, Pothos, and Himeros respectively. Each would be 4km, 25km, and 39km in size respectively.

Earth

Advances in higher optical discovery in the 19th to 20th century lead to the discovery of a thin tenuous ring system around the Earth. Roughly occurring from 2,000 KM to 5,000 KM. Earth's rings are similar in structure to that of the planet Neptune as in there being thin arcs. Earth's rings themselves are nearly entirely invisible without proper equipment. These ancient rings are said to be the debris of an ancient Moon that was once destroyed.

Mars

The difference in size has only made this Mars be marginally better than the Mars in our reality. It is 20% the mass of Earth as opposed to 10. It hosts a thin atmosphere, that is roughly 10% the Earth's. Like Venus, Mars's atmosphere is consisted of +90% Carbon Dioxide. Mars's surface geology and landforms are very much the same as in reality with the greater prevalence of running water across it's surface. Underground lakes, as on Venus, have been scientifically proven. The most striking feature about Mars, is it's reflective ring system. The first astronomers who turned their telescopes towards Mars were able to discover a thin, but prominent ring around Mars. Mars's single moon is named Bellona, which is 76km in size and orbits past the ring system of Mars.

mars_ring_Image2.png

Jupiter

The Jupiter system in this world is nearly identical to that of our world in terms of Mass and amount of Moons, though in this reality the moon Ganymede is roughly the size of Mars. Ganymede is a unique world as it is called by scientists as a "methane moon" due to the fact of its orangish appearance. The discovery of liquid methane oceans on Ganymede was the first recorded discovery of actual oceans on another celestial body, as opposed to small lakes as seen on Venus. The Moon Callisto, orbits slightly further out from Jupiter and appears to have been host to a recent large scale impact event in which one of the minor moons of Jupiter slammed into it, kicking up debris around Callisto in order to form a thin ring system, though not nearly as impressive as Mars.

Saturn
Saturn itself is as it is in the real world, though there is one distinct difference. It's inner Moons are not present. Instead, the one massive moon of Rhea is an Icy Super-Earth, at around 4.5 times the mass of Earth. Rhea has a tenuous nitrogen rich atmosphere . It once had hydrocarbon seas on it's surface, though the Sunlight and thin atmosphere has since evaporated that sea and left behind dark "Stains" across Rhea's grey-white surface. The moon of Titan exists, though in this reality is called Hyperion. Nothing else has changed about Hyperion. The distant outer moon of Phoebe here is Pluto mass, and finds itself largely isolated from the other two major moons of Saturn due to it's massive distance from Saturn. The discovery of Rhea was something that was quite interesting to astronomers, when it had been discovered in the 1600's.

Prometheus
After Saturn comes Prometheus, a gas dwarf at around 8 times the mass of Earth. Prometheus has a similar coloration to that of Uranus, with visible darker stripes giving it a rather Jovian appearance. It's atmosphere has a higher quantity of methane and ammonia, leading there to be a theory it formed in a similar location as Uranus and Neptune before moving inward. Prometheus has no rings, though is host to the moons of Enceladus, Dione, Mimas, Tethys, and Iapetus which all bear striking resemblance to those moons as in reality. Basically - Prometheus has the major inner Moons of Saturn, that Saturn has in our world.

Caelus and Bacchus
Caelus and it's moons are roughly the same as Uranus in our universe, with the added presence of a larger inner moon named Mercutio that is host to visible cryovolcanism like that of Enceladus. Caelus is indeed, OTL Uranus. Caelus in this timeline is more massive than Neptune, at about 22 Earth masses. The interesting part about Caelus, is that it is in a binary orbit with the planet Bacchus, which is barely larger than Promtheus, at around 9 times the mass of Earth. This interesting setup has lead to the discovery of various moons around Bacchus, such as Cottus, Gyes, and Aegon. They have similar masss of Pluto, Eris, and Ceres respectively.

Neptune

Nothing is functionally different about Neptune in this universe. Nothing to see here, folks! Although the Voyager probes that went past Neptune discovered [REDACTED] on Triton. Yup, there's nothing here! Sure....sure....

Kuiper Belt Objects

Nothing is different about the Kuiper Belt objects here, other than the masses of Pluto and Charon respectively have been scaled up 45 times, so Pluto is 0.0981 Earth masses, and Charon is 0.008175 Earth Masses. Because of this, Pluto and Charon are considered planets. The orbital clearing definition never came to fruition, so Eris, Haumea, Makemake, Salacia, Gonggong, etc are considered full planets, though not to the obvious importance of the other "major" planets.

Last edited:
Venus has the same orbital period and mass as in our world, though the planet Venus does not have the thick atmosphere it does here as in reality. Venus has a thinner atmosphere, at roughly 80% the pressure of Earth's. It's atmosphere is roughly +90% Carbon Dioxide. The surface of Venus is a barren wasteland with little surface water. Though, surface water lakes and ponds do exist near the poles.
So, Venus is Tatooine/Dune-like world? It can be work without runaway greenhouse effect with Venus irradion but I'm not sure if the atmosphere should have much more nitrogen than what you prescribed.

So, Venus is Tatooine/Dune-like world? It can be work without runaway greenhouse effect with Venus irradion but I'm not sure if the atmosphere should have much more nitrogen than what you prescribed.

Venus is indeed like that, I am not sure what it's atmosphere would be, which was a best guess.

Inspired by these Climate Exploration articles:

Temperature
Axial Tilt
Day Length
Fascinating. The low-tilt worlds actually remind me a lot of a quick edit I made to the Planet Simulator map script for Civ. V. Its purpose was to randomly generate maps with realistic climates and river systems as the game's vanilla generation can be very... creative sometimes. It was originally based on Cephalo's Perfectworld script, which had a system of monsoonal rainfall generation that tended to generate increase rainfall on both eastern and western coasts of a continent symmetrically, as opposed to the assymmetrical dry-west, wetter-east paradigm that you tend to see on earth.

Planet Sim never really fixed the issue with the monsoons, so I just limited their effects on the script. At the time I figured it was still too unrealistic, but could it perhaps be rather accurate for a low-tilt high-CO2 world?
capture-jpg.845387

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

EDIT: Forgot to add the script itself, if you place the lua file in its own folder in the maps directory of Civ5 you can generate maps like these with the Civ5 sdk's worldbuilder. I have tried to configure it so that the 'cool' setting resembles a low-tilt world under normal circumstances, with mostly tundra in the higher latitudes. Standard rainfall should be mostly ok, but try arid if you want reliably large bands of desert.

Github link: https://github.com/tKharvud/Planet-Simulator-LL3-edit (Just download the .lua file to its own folder in the /Maps/ directory of Civ5. That would be Documents/My games/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Maps if you're on windows)

cool-arid.jpg

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,851
Last edited:
Venus is indeed like that, I am not sure what it's atmosphere would be, which was a best guess.
I think for a marginally habitable Venus your best option would be a pure nitrogen atmosphere. Since Venus is much closer to the sun than Earth, having a significant amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will warm temperatures and cause the planet's lakes to evaporate. This is redoubled since Venus is near the inner edge of a land planet's habitable zone. A pure nitrogen atmosphere reduces temperatures and could allow for the planet to retain water at the poles. However, the planet's air is pleasantly unbreathable. If someone took a breath, they wouldn't feel a thing until they keeled over dead.

Hi guys!

I’m a bit new to the fine art of world building, so do go easy on me! :)

I’m interested in building up a solar system based on a binary Star system, but was wondering if such a system is even stable/able to have habitable life on it…

On another note, would a tidally locked planet be able to have a habitable ring along the ’equator’ (between the exposed side of the planet and the dark side?)

Hi guys!

I’m a bit new to the fine art of world building, so do go easy on me! :)

I’m interested in building up a solar system based on a binary Star system, but was wondering if such a system is even stable/able to have habitable life on it…

On another note, would a tidally locked planet be able to have a habitable ring along the ’equator’ (between the exposed side of the planet and the dark side?)
Scott Manley on YouTube has a very informative video on YouTube, going indepth explaining the orbital mechanics and how that affects the possible habitability, about this very question ;)

1692384526503.png

Again.
More updated version of my Mars like Venus.

Big changes from OTL Venus.
Average temp of 63.3°C
A 20.2 hour day
An axial tilt of 20°
Albedo of 0.27
Atmospheric pressure of 79.8% that of Earth.
Having a magnetic field strength of 0.3 gauss.
The magnetic axial tilt being around almost 7°

Other featues are a mostly nitrogen and Co² atmosphere, with similar amount of argon.
Small iron rich lakes of slight green tint in the colder regions of Venus and mountain ranges.
A vast and complex system of big bodies of water, like underground rivers, lakes, and small oceans, keeping the subsurface earth wet enough for life.
A faint red dry atmosphere with few water clouds around water and mountain ranges. Mostly dominated by sandstorms and thunder at the equator.

It doesn't have the mobile plate tectonics of Earth, but thanks to it's lower temperature and underground water, the small Venusian plates, sluggishly move around, thus enabling mountain ranges and active vulcanism.

Life is primitive and few on Venus.
Anaerobic, with as many differences from Earth life that life just another planet away can have. Those little life forms are the very definition of primitive.
Using Threose nucleic acid instead of RNA and/or DNA, like how it hypothesized how the very first primitive lifeforms on Earth used TNA before jumping to RNA and then DNA. With most of it residing in the underground systems of Venus.

In this TL, Venus could be more described as a mud planet.
Being able to birth life, but only barely.

View attachment 850948

Again.
More updated version of my Mars like Venus.

Big changes from OTL Venus.
Average temp of 63.3°C
A 20.2 hour day
An axial tilt of 20°
Albedo of 0.27
Atmospheric pressure of 79.8% that of Earth.
Having a magnetic field strength of 0.3 gauss.
The magnetic axial tilt being around almost 7°

Other featues are a mostly nitrogen and Co² atmosphere, with similar amount of argon.
Small iron rich lakes of slight green tint in the colder regions of Venus and mountain ranges.
A vast and complex system of big bodies of water, like underground rivers, lakes, and small oceans, keeping the subsurface earth wet enough for life.
A faint red dry atmosphere with few water clouds around water and mountain ranges. Mostly dominated by sandstorms and thunder at the equator.

It doesn't have the mobile plate tectonics of Earth, but thanks to it's lower temperature and underground water, the small Venusian plates, sluggishly move around, thus enabling mountain ranges and active vulcanism.

Life is primitive and few on Venus.
Anaerobic, with as many differences from Earth life that life just another planet away can have. Those little life forms are the very definition of primitive.
Using Threose nucleic acid instead of RNA and/or DNA, like how it hypothesized how the very first primitive lifeforms on Earth used TNA before jumping to RNA and then DNA. With most of it residing in the underground systems of Venus.

In this TL, Venus could be more described as a mud planet.
Being able to birth life, but only barely.
Do you think you could make a version of Mars that is the mass of Earth?