Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Can sapience even arise in something that would be forced to move so slowly?
I try to counteract the problem by imagining them moving faster.
But how to do this seems more than difficult.
Or they are a moving species that developed intelligence at the same time as (or before) photosynthesis.

Last edited:
How about a blue main sequence star? Greater irradiance means more energy per square meter at the surface of the planet. I’m not sure any amount can be enough for photosynthesis (either Earth’s or a different chemical analogue) to give the energy required for thought. I mean, it’s sort of a hard question to answer because we only have one data point. There’s a minimum size to a brain capable of sapience, but what are the minimum energy density requirements? That’s a different ballgame. Maybe a species of xenoplants where any of them isn’t any more intelligent than a three year old? That’s about where self-awareness is assured in humans, and it’d be the lowest energy requirement vs. an adult body...

I try to counteract the problem by imagining them moving faster.
Or they are a moving species that developed intelligence at the same time as (or before) photosynthesis.

I would suggest the solution would be to just make them only partly photosynthetic.

I was thinking of Dorzohand's basic worldbuilding way earlier in this thread and was thinking of reviving it in part with more basis in reality. Would anyone be interested in such?

deynql9-9e4dd4a8-519a-4702-a5da-583f1b5a04e1.png
@Nizam how did you manage to do this ?

View attachment 707403
So, I have been working on a project recently. No real lore (yet). Also, planets like Venus might be updated later. This probably wouldn't work with actual orbital mechanics but whatever. I will probably come back with an edit at some point to explain some stuff, but for now enjoy the Inner Solar System!

Have a happy 2022!
Can i use your map of Mars?
Thanks

This is what our view of Saturn may have looked like if its ring system were 200 times larger:

_80546985_rings_mockup.jpg

Two questions relate to this picture:

1. How wide would this be in angular degrees? (For clarification, our sun and moon are half a degree wide each.)
  2. How much brighter would that make Earth's day/night cycle?

1. How wide would this be in angular degrees? (For clarification, our sun and moon are half a degree wide each.)
  2. How much brighter would that make Earth's day/night cycle?
1. https://www.1728.org/angsize.htm is a useful tool for this- you can find angular size given distance and diameter. If the widest easily-visible ring is the F ring, that means that the diameter is ~28,000,000 km; while the distance to Saturn is between 1,200,000,000 km and 1,700,000,000 km. Therefore, the size in degrees is between 1.34 and 0.94 degrees. Note that because of Saturn's angle to the Earth, depending on the year the thinner angle of the ring ellipse is between something like 0.6x and 0x that figure.
2. Difficult to say. Not much more than a few moons, certainly. The albedo of Saturn's rings is about 4 times that of the Moon, and the maximum size of the rings is also 4 times the size of the moon. At best? Maybe enough to kick the night into civil twilight.

For the last few days I've been working on a 4972 x 2518 terraformed venus map, refined from a much smaller one. Admittedly this wasn't all my work, and I would like to thank user Artienia, as I combined the work from their 2 seemingly abandoned attempts at such a map into a starting point, found in these 2 links:
I simply filled in the remaining 50% (estimate) of the map.
I hope this can be useful to any mapping projects, and plan to make use of it myself.
1649346818713.png