Alternate celebrity politicians?

Matthew McConaughey considered running for Governor of Texas in 2022 but didn't poll well and eventually opted out.
Seems weird but I get it. People might like him but dislike his politics. Same with a lot of celebs who’d try to come back to their home states. For example I don’t know how well Mark Wahlberg would do in Massachusetts or Paul Rudd in Kansas or Ashton Kutcher in Iowa would do. Granted some would totally do well but they’d be lower level celebs who’ve gone conservative. In Nebraska I’m guessing Larry the Cable Guy would probably win office if he ran, granted he’d have to use his real name of Dan Whitney and few might know that’s his name.

Last edited:
In Nebraska I’m guessing Larry the Cable Guy would probably win office if he ran, granted he’d have to use his real name of Dan Whitney and few might know that’s his name.
Now I’m imagining a scenario where he does actually run for office, but just calls himself Dan Whitney throughout the whole campaign, and doesn’t say anything about being Larry the Cable Guy, causing everyone to assume that he’s just some random person running for office. Then, when he wins, he’s like “SURPRISE! It’s me, Larry the Cable Guy! You just voted me into office!” Not realistic, obviously, but that’d be funny to be see just thinking of it.

O
What about Kurt Cobain?
maybe he lives, breaks up with Courtney, runs for governor of Washington in the 2010’s after raising his daughter and doing some musical side projects. I don’t know his politics but for sure he’d be liberal but with a populist bent and probably wouldn’t like the tech bro culture in Seattle and would try to have policies to help out the rest of the state ( though they’ll hate him in Eastern Washington no matter what.)

O

maybe he lives, breaks up with Courtney, runs for governor of Washington in the 2010’s after raising his daughter and doing some musical side projects. I don’t know his politics but for sure he’d be liberal but with a populist bent and probably wouldn’t like the tech bro culture in Seattle and would try to have policies to help out the rest of the state ( though they’ll hate him in Eastern Washington no matter what.)
I thought that Cobain would be an interesting idea as he's never really brought up as much as people like Dean or Elvis, no shade on them I think they would be interesting Presidents.

I would imagine Bill Gates or Adam Sandler. I am aware that Kanye West ran for president, but what if he was more dedicated to the political cause even not as a presidential candidate. He probably could have more of a legitimate politician rather than just a humorous Easter egg on the voting ballot.

Bill Gates would have an idea to be a politician due to his already gained influence through his company in around 2006. He would probably be outraged by an infringement on media freedoms caused by an overturning of a press law and start to enter politics to ensure that his idea of "free speech"(whatever he believes free speech to mean) is set in politics. Despite his high profile, he would probably be disregarded as a "hopeless technocrat" due to his technical knowledge. Although he would have to MAKE time to be a politician, so he would have to sell his business or entitle someone to it(this will surely be a lot of butterflies, so don't expect Xbox or Windows Vista to just magically take off). Also, I am not much of a good researcher, so this post might not make sense.

I also have the idea of Adam Sandler being a politician because why the heck not?

Another idea I just thought of, either Paul Newman or Robert Redford. Im kind of surprised Newman didn’t. Same with Redford. It’s almost too bad that he’s too old as Utah’s become a tad more open, though I’m guessing even in Utah it’s still a kind of Mormon mafia running the Dems, even if most Mormons are Republicans. Maybe he just becomes mayor of Park City.

Sonny Bono was the mayor of Palm Springs, California from 1988 to 1992, and was a member of the House of Representatives from California’s 44th district from 1995 until his death in 1998. If he hadn’t died in 1998, maybe we could’ve possibly seen him pull a Reagan and run for Governor of California first, probably taking the place of Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2002-03, before running for president, say, 2008 or so at the earliest.

Last edited:
Might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Rapper run for Senate or President and maaaybe win, though unsure on who it'd be.

I'd almost suggest someone like Nas, Jay-Z or Kendrick Lamar but I feel there's multiple issues in -any- (still living as of posting) big rapper running, with the biggest being if they're even interested in elected office.

As far as deceased rappers, I could see it as somewhat plausible that if he had lived, Tupac might've gone into politics but he'd run into a lot of issues due to his past with gangs, lyrics, etc.

Any who don't have to go up against image issues may honestly either be fine just doing what they're doing now or are not really 'mainstream' enough to really run and gain support though stranger things have happened, I suppose.

..Actually now that I think about it, maybe Mayor could be a realistic goal. Common or Chance running for Mayor of Chicago, or Jay-Z for Mayor of NYC could be an interesting story.

cardcarrier

Banned
Dave Ramsey could probably have won a senate race in Tennessee any time after 1994 and he has some interest in politics

nick mangold of the New York jets will run for something in New Jersey in the future

derek jeter could have won something in New York or Florida already although it would be much easier if he had run before metoo issues became disqualifying

Michael Strathan has also struck me as someone who could easily win a governor or senators race

Might be in the minority here, but I wouldn't mind seeing a Rapper run for Senate or President and maaaybe win, though unsure on who it'd be.

I'd almost suggest someone like Nas, Jay-Z or Kendrick Lamar but I feel there's multiple issues in -any- (still living as of posting) big rapper running, with the biggest being if they're even interested in elected office.

As far as deceased rappers, I could see it as somewhat plausible that if he had lived, Tupac might've gone into politics but he'd run into a lot of issues due to his past with gangs, lyrics, etc.

Any who don't have to go up against image issues may honestly either be fine just doing what they're doing now or are not really 'mainstream' enough to really run and gain support though stranger things have happened, I suppose.

..Actually now that I think about it, maybe Mayor could be a realistic goal. Common or Chance running for Mayor of Chicago, or Jay-Z for Mayor of NYC could be an interesting story.
I was gonna suggest Warren Beatty. Bulworth is a movie that probably didn’t age well.
I know that a lot of ATLs tend to have John Wayne as a president at one point.
The High and the Mighty (President John Wayne) was probably one of the first.
Oprah Winfrey and George Clooney are two commonly used ones, neither of which strike me as completely unrealistic. I could see Winfrey announcing a run for POTUS early in the 2008 cycle, with the right prodding, and pulling some support away from both Clinton and Obama (if they still run). It would be an uphill battle in some respects but with her star power she could have a very real chance at winning, and becoming both the first Black and the first female POTUS. Reelection obviously depends on how her first term goes, which is anyone's guess really.

Clooney I could also see getting whipped up into politics under the right conditions. He might run for Senate or Governor from New York or California, and from there I could easily see him running for POTUS too. It'd be something if we got Winfrey/Clooney or vice versa...
Any celebrity where they played a candidate is easy for ATLs because the movie/TV stills exist. Clooney or Redford for example.
1653224745325.jpeg

Edit: along those lines, taking OTL pictures from campaigns and conventions has previously inspired me to use them in ATL scenarios. For example, I had President Sarah Silverman win in an upset as an alt-Bernie style candidate:
1653225367209.png

Last edited:
1st May 1994: whilst leading the San Marino Formula One Grand Prix, Ayrton Senna's Williams-Renault leaves the track at the flat out Tamburello corner and crashes into the concrete retaining wall. The front right wheel and suspension mounts are propelled back into the cockpit by the impact, narrowly missing his helmet but causing serious injuries to his right shoulder and upper arm. Senna is rushed to hospital where he spends several weeks in recovery, however he never fully recovers the strength and mobility in his arm and despite a heroic attempt to return to his Williams towards the end of the 1994 season he announces his retirement from racing in January 1995.

Senna is possibly the most popular personality in Brazil, and outspoken about the poverty and inequality there. It is of little surprise that, suddenly ripped away from his racing career, in 1995 and 1996 he begins to take an interest in the politics of his home country...

Last edited:
Assuming he's interested in anything else other than partying and sleeping with women half his age, I think Leonardo DiCaprio could make a successful run as an outsider with strong pro-environment views, though as a Democrat instead of the Greens.

Assuming he's interested in anything else other than partying and sleeping with women half his age, I think Leonardo DiCaprio could make a successful run as an outsider with strong pro-environment views, though as a Democrat instead of the Greens.
Well, maybe the Greens could actually win for once if they had a well-known, big status like DiCaprio campaigning for them. However, the "sleeping with women half his age" part made me instantly think of the Lewinsky scandal for some reason, and if DiCaprio was president, I could totally see a Lewinsky 2.0 occurring, or maybe a Cuomo 2.0.

Well, maybe the Greens could actually win for once if they had a well-known, big status like DiCaprio campaigning for them. However, the "sleeping with women half his age" part made me instantly think of the Lewinsky scandal for some reason, and if DiCaprio was president, I could totally see a Lewinsky 2.0 occurring, or maybe a Cuomo 2.0.
Eh, he could maybe get elected governor for the Greens in his home state, but a third-party run for POTUS would just throw the election to the GOP.

His preference for young supermodels might come back to bite him, yeah. Maybe he marries his current girlfriend and keeps sleeping around on the side like JFK? I don't know enough about DiCaprio's personal life to comment on that though.

Actually, could anyone else see Ted Turner potentially making a run for President?
He actually did consider running for President in the 2000 democratic primaries, though (his then-wife) Jane Fonda threatened to divorce him if he ran (ironically, they divorced in 2001).

Allow me to add Jeff “The Dude” Bridges. In 2014, there was a petition that went minorly viral online to get him to run for the Senate in Montana (he owns a vacation home there). Personally, I would’ve LOVED that.

Eva Longoria was asked if she would be interested in running in the 2018 Texas gubernatorial race, which would be interesting.

Alec Baldwin has been asked if he was interested in running for mayor of NYC in 2013, and has talked about running for Governor of NY.

George Clooney was asked if he would be interested in running in the 2018 California gubernatorial race.

(Local Puerto Rico politics) Famous basketball player “Piculín” Ortíz ran for the state senate as a member of the PPD. (He was later arrested on drug trafficking charges for cannabis.) People have also talked about Bad Bunny running, but it’s mostly his fans + he’s not old enough, so it’s not really serious. Some people have asked about Residente from Calle 13 tho, and Jay Fonseca (the Puerto Rican Ben Shapiro).

Rubén Blades (musician) ran in the 1994 Panamanian presidential election.

Rob Blagojevich considered appointing Oprah to Obama’s senate seat, (though didn’t out of a fear she’d reject the offer).

Ashley Judd was asked to run in the 2014 and 2016 Senate elections in Kentucky.

Howard Stern has spoken about running for office, and there has been speculation about him running a few times.

Fran Drescher (The Nanny) considered running in the 2010 special election to fill Hillary's Senate Seat after she was named Secretary of State.

Kelsey Grammer was asked if he was thinking of running for mayor of NYC in 2013. (A Baldwin v. Grammer race would be interesting.)

Mallory Hagan (Miss America 2013) ran in the 2018 election for Alabama's 3rd Congressional District.

Bess Myerson (Miss America 1945) ran for the Democratic nomination for the Senate in 1980.

Tony Danza was asked if he was thinking of running for mayor of NYC in 2013. (A three-way Baldwin v. Grammer v. Danza would be a hell of a show.)

"Grandpa" Al Lewis (The Munsters) ran for Governor of New York in 1998 as a Green Party candidate.

Caitlyn Jenner ran for governor of California in the 2021 special election.

Patrick Kilpatrick (actor) ran as a Democrat in the 2021 California special election.

Kevin Paffrath (YouTuber) ran as a Democrat in the 2021 California special election.

Angelyne (California celebrity) ran in the 2003 and 2021 California special elections.

Gary Coleman ran in the 2003 California Gubernatorial Recall Election.

Mary Carey (adult actress) ran in the 2003 California Gubernatorial Recall election and ran in the 2021 recall, but dropped out. Also ran in the 2006 race for Lieutenant Governor, but dropped out.

Jack Grisham (musician) ran in the 2003 California Gubernatorial Recall Election.

Jello Biafra (former lead singer of the Dead Kennedys) ran in the 1979 mayoral election in San Francisco. He was also nominated for president by the New York Green Party.

Kinky Friedman (country singer)ran for Justice of the Peace in Kerrville, Texas in 1986. He ran for Governor of Texas in 2006 as an Independent, and was asked in 2010 and 2014 if he would be interested in running again as a Democrat. He also ran for the Democratic nomination for Agriculture Commissioner in 2010 and 2014.

The Oklahoma Democratic Party wanted to run astronaut Gary Cooper for the Senate in 1964.

Astronaut Jose M. Hernandez ran for the House in 2012 for California's 10th District.

Brianna Wu (game developer and CEO of Giant Spacekat) ran for the US. House of Representatives in Massachusetts' 8th District in 2018 and 2020, but withdrew in the latter race.

John Glenn ran in the 1964 democratic primary for the Senate in Ohio, but dropped out due to a fall (he was fine, but it meant he couldn’t campaign, and he didn’t want to win due to sympathy/name recognition). Though he later became a senator, the extra years could give him enough experience to make him a more serious contender for VP/President.

If you count a religious figure as a celebrity, Joseph Smith ran for President in 1844.

Does William Randolph Hearst count as a celebrity?

If Jesse Ventura served as Governor for a second term, and was later elected to the Senate, he could get the Greens/Libertarians past 5% (maybe both if they somehow run a fusion ticket where Libertarians get the vote where the Greens don’t have ballot access).

Last edited:
He actually did consider running running for President in the 2000 democratic primaries, though (his then-wife) Jane Fonda threatened to divorce him if he ran (ironically, they were divorced in 2001).
I'd have thought he'd run on the Green ticket, but maybe that's just me.