Also, has anybody here got an idea for a Hispano-Portuguese "Republican" calendar, ideally with 14 months? Or 15? Or 16?

What do you think about the idea of a "negative leap system"? For example, 16 months with 23 days each give, per year, 3 days too many. What about substracting a whole month every 8 years? Would such a calendar work, with a "Negative Leap Month"?

Well I have an idea for an Hispano-Portuguese Calendar, not exactly a 14 month calendar nor too French Republican.

First some ideas in the construction of the Iberian Republican Calendar or Iberian Civil Calendar (IRC/ICC)
1) the week is of seven days, keeping with social mores, custom and for religious and historical considerations. Historically the Hispanic and Latin-american republicanism were anticlerical, not anti-christian. Also a 10 day week disrupts already established customs and social habits.
2) Using a more Latin language look and a compromise with some names of week and month.
3) 4 seasons of 91 days each one (yes, I am using Asimov's World Season Calendar as a reference)
4) Months of 4 weeks (28 days) or 5 weeks (35 days).
5) an extraday in normal years (un extradia) and a second extraday (duo extradia) in leap years. they are placed between season 2 and 3
6) The first day of the year is the equinox of the 20 of March (primadia, 1 of primibris in the IRC/ICC), like in the old Roman Calendar.

Therefore:
Names of the days of the week of the IRC/ICC (Same names as French Republican Calendar and akin to how they are named in Portuguese)
primadia (Monday), duodia (Tuesday), triadia (Wednesday), quartodia (Thursday), quintadia (Friday), sextadia or sabado (Saturday) septadia or domingo (Sunday)

For comparison:
Days of the week in Spanish: lunes, martes miércoles jueves viernes sábado, domingo
Days of the week in Portuguese: segunda-feira,terça-feira quarta-feira quinta-feira sexta-feira sábado, domingo

Civil Months of the IRC/ICC (each three months is a season)

Season 1 (Equinox 1)
* primibris (4 weeks - 28 days)
* duobris (5 weeks - 35 days)
* tribris (4 weeks - 28 days)

Season 2 (Solstice 1)
* quartibris (4 weeks - 28 days)
* quintibris (5 weeks - 35 days)
* sextibris (4 weeks - 28 days)

* 1 extradia (extra day of normal year)
* 2 extradia (extra day of leap year)

Season 3 (Equinox 2)
* septibris (4 weeks - 28 days)
* octobris (5 weeks - 35 days)
* novembris (4 weeks - 28 days)

Season 4 (Solstice 2)
* decembris (4 weeks - 28 days)
* undecembris (5 weeks - 35 days)
* duodecembris (4 weeks - 28 days)

Last edited:
I'd like to see a calendar like ours, with 12 months, and a leap day nearly every four years to recalibrate it, but with the number of days per month following a regular pattern. It would start with a 30 day month, say March 1-30, for example, and then a 31 day month, and switch back and forth between 30-day and 31-day months. Regular years would end in two 30-day months in a row, but leap years would follow the pattern perfectly. Also, I'd want September to be the name of the 7th month, not the 9th. I figure if the calendar starts on March 2, then half the months would line up exactly with our months.

Maybe we could have a calendar with a standardized number of months and days, and an 'end month' of a different length meant purely to wrap up the year as close to 365.25 days as possible, with as many leap weeks, days, hours etc. as prescribed for that year.

Might have a lot of holidays set for that month, perhaps.

Maybe we could have a calendar with a standardized number of months and days, and an 'end month' of a different length meant purely to wrap up the year as close to 365.25 days as possible, with as many leap weeks, days, hours etc. as prescribed for that year.

Might have a lot of holidays set for that month, perhaps.

I just had a good idea - for a radical atheist proposal

3 months - no idea what to name the three months yet - with 118 days each. Yes, 118 days each!
These days are named for the chemical elements, three times over. Well-known examples would be:

1.1. - Day of Hydrogen
2.1. - Day of Helium
10.1. - Day of Neon
26. 1. - Day of Iron
29. 1. - Day of Copper
47. 1. - Day of Silver
79. 1. - Day of Gold
92. 1. - Day of Uranium
118.1. - Day of Oganesson
1.2. - Day of Hydrogen

The Day of Hydrogen of the first month (equal to a New Years Day) should be set either for a main date of the revolution or... what about July 16 for a change, because of the Trinity test? Thus, Independence Day would always fall - if I calculated correctly - on the last Day of Oganesson (118. 3.)?

In this case, there are 11 days "left over" and sometimes 12. This extra "month" - as you proposed - could have festivals in it, but that was not the main point here.
This month could have the days named after geological ages:

Day 1 - Cambrian
Day 2 - Ordovician
Day 3 - Silurian
Day 4 - Devonian
Day 5 - Carboniferous
Day 6 - Permian
Day 7 - Triassic
Day 8 - Jurassic
Day 9 - Cretaceous
Day 10 - Paleogene
Day 11 - Neogene
Day 12 (Leap Day) - Quarternary

A division into weeks would of course be a problem. A 118-day months would just have to have 16 and six sevenths of a seven-day week. Or 19 and two thirds of a six-day week.

@SaveAtlacamani These names seem incredibly impractical. Remember, people would ideally be using them in everyday speech.

'Tuesday' rolls off the tongue much easier than 'Carboniferous'.

But the date system itself seems cool.

@SaveAtlacamani These names seem incredibly impractical. Remember, people would ideally be using them in everyday speech.

'Tuesday' rolls off the tongue much easier than 'Carboniferous'.

But the date system itself seems cool.

They are more like additional names - the weekdays might be preserved or altered, but these replace much more the saints' and feast names than the weekdays. It could nevertheless well be that at least the extra days do become known by "Silurian" (but more likely "Silurian Feast/Celebration/....")

Calendar of the American Revolution
After the American Revolutionary War, the Americans wanted to remove everything even remotely used by the British. One of which was the replacement of the Gregorian Calendar.

Year 0 = 1776
New Years = July 4th

Months -
Unitary (July 4th-August 3rd)
Crockett (August 4th-September 3rd)
Constitutory (September 4th-October 3rd)
Yorkton (October 4th-November 3rd)
Paris (November 4th-December 3rd)
Harbor (December 4th-January 3rd)
Franklin (January 4th-February 3rd)
Washington (February 4th-March 3rd)
Madison (March 4th-April 3rd)
Minutemen (April 4th-May 3rd)
Jay (May 4th-June 3rd)
Henry (June 4th-July 3rd)

Everything before 1776 is labeled as BR (Before revolution), after is AR (After revolution)
Example, my birthday would be Madison 4th, 222 AR
The founding of Washington State would be Paris 8th, 113 AR
George Washington's Date of Birth would be Washington 19th, 44 BR

Calendar of the American Revolution
After the American Revolutionary War, the Americans wanted to remove everything even remotely used by the British. One of which was the replacement of the Gregorian Calendar.

Cool! Just today, while in the Church, I thought about the possibility of an American Revolutionary Calendar!

Months -
Crockett (August 4th-September 3rd)
Constitutory (September 4th-October 3rd)
Yorkton (October 4th-November 3rd)
Paris (November 4th-December 3rd)
Harbor (December 4th-January 3rd)
Minutemen (April 4th-May 3rd)
Jay (May 4th-June 3rd)
Henry (June 4th-July 3rd)

What does "Crockett" refer to? Also, isn't Minutemen some more modern name for parts of the US Armed Forces, or was it used in 1776/83 already?
And... no month of Jefferson? No month of Adams?

Anybody got ideas for the names of months in my chemical elements calendar proposal above?

What about
Water
Methane
Carbon Dioxide

or something like that? Or are there other more common chemical compounds?

EDIT: What about the three main atomic particles?

Proton
Neutron
Electron

So: 1. Proton - Day of Hydrogen - July 16 (Quarternary Day in leap years)
1. Neutron - Day of Hydrogen - November 11
1. Electron - Day of Hydrogen - March 8

some notable dates would include:

May 9 (V-E Day) = 62. Electron - Day of Samarium (if celebrated on May 8: Day of Promethium)
July 4 = 118. Electron - Day of Oganesson
July 7 (London terrorist attacks 2005) - Silurian Day
July 14 (Storm of Bastille) - Paleogene
July 20 (Moon landing) - 5. Proton - Day of Boron
September 11 (9/11) = 57. Proton - Day of Lanthanium
November 9 (Berlin Wall, Beer Hall Putsch) = 117. Proton - Day of Tennessine
November 22 (Kennedy Assassination) = 11. Neutron - Day of Sodium
December 24 (Christmas Eve) = 45. Neutron - Day of Rhodium
January 1 (traditional New Year) = 53. Neutron - Day of Iodine
February 25 (my birthday) = 107. Neutron - Day of Bohrium

Last edited:
universal_calendar_by_divinedesign.png

There's nothing better than this. :p

Thirteen months and built-in holidays! :D
April 10 (from May 25)

What does "Crockett" refer to?
Crockett refers to Davy Crockett. It was the last one I hadn't filled in so it's not the best choice for name of a month.
Also, isn't Minutemen some more modern name for parts of the US Armed Forces, or was it used in 1776/83 already?
I think it was in use at the time
And... no month of Jefferson? No month of Adams?
I tried to align the month names with the birth or death of a person or an important date. Honestly, most of the names for the months are meh at best in my opinion. If someone wants to refine it, they can.

Skallagrim

Banned
If the months are to be named after founding fathers, the obvious candidates are Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton and Adams.

Other good candidates might be Lafayette, Hancock, Dickinson, Laurens and Pinckney. (One more and you can name every month in this way.)

Worthy of being included, but not blessed with names that would sound good as month names: Jay and Henry.

'Crockett' is right out, I'd say.

I'm not very charmed by the other sort of name ('Constitutory', 'Yorktown') etc. but if you go with those, I'd suggest 'Saratoga' and 'Concord' (and dropping 'Paris' and 'Harbor', which are a bit silly, in my opinion).

If the months are to be named after founding fathers, the obvious candidates are Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, Hamilton and Adams.

Other good candidates might be Lafayette, Hancock, Dickinson, Laurens and Pinckney. (One more and you can name every month in this way.)

Worthy of being included, but not blessed with names that would sound good as month names: Jay and Henry.

'Crockett' is right out, I'd say.

I'm not very charmed by the other sort of name ('Constitutory', 'Yorktown') etc. but if you go with those, I'd suggest 'Saratoga' and 'Concord' (and dropping 'Paris' and 'Harbor', which are a bit silly, in my opinion).
How's this look?
Months -
Laurens (August 4th-September 3rd)
Saratoga (September 4th-October 3rd)
Hancock (October 4th-November 3rd)
Dickinson (November 4th-December 3rd)
Boston (December 4th-January 3rd)
Concord (April 4th-May 3rd)
Lafayette (May 4th-June 3rd)
Jefferson (June 4th-July 3rd)

Already looks much better... How long are the months? Are they unequal as in the Gregorian Calendar?

Wouldn't the American revolutionaries have used equal months? Or even more rationalisation of the calendar, like the 13x28 system or 15x24 with an 8-day week?

EDIT: My birthday here would be Washington 21...

Already looks much better... How long are the months? Are they unequal as in the Gregorian Calendar?

Wouldn't the American revolutionaries have used equal months? Or even more rationalisation of the calendar, like the 13x28 system or 15x24 with an 85-day week?

EDIT: My birthday here would be Washington 21...
Fixed.