Alternate American Flags

I've done the Pennsylvania flag for you.

Flag of Pennsylvania.JPG

different union jack

can't see why would the saint patrick's cross would ever have been integrated with the saint george's cross? apart from the fact it looks horrendous, it reduces the status of both the english and scottish flags on the union jack. anyone explain?

Mikey said:
Here your UK flag.
Not quite, unfortunately. The St. Patrick's Cross isn't supposed to be interlaced (broken in half) with St. Andrew's; rather it covers it whole. Thus the Union Jack looks like an eight-pointed star.

As for the equality of the St. George's and St. Patrick's crosses, Ireland is supposed to be constitutionally equal with Britain; hence the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Ireland.

As for Pennsylvania; the flag needs to be at a 1:2 ratio like the Union Jack.

Last edited:
This ATL union jack is absolutely terrible. :( still, to each their own.

Can anyone think up a decent flag for all the people of northern ireland to have in common. I've had a go at designing something based on both the old northern Ireland flag used now by unionists (white with 6 point star for 6 counties, crown and red hand of ulster) and the province of ulster flag mainly used by nationalists (yellow, no crown, red hand in shield rather than star).

* 4 shamrocks represent the 4 provinces of the island of ireland
* 2 st.patrick's crosses represent 2 irelands but with shared heritage
* red hand in shield rather than star, symbolising link between northern ireland and the remaining 3 counties of ulster that are part of the republic of ireland.
* 6 pointed star for the 6 counties of northern ireland
* royal and presidential standard of ireland within 6 pointed star, symbolising northern ireland's links with both the rest of ireland and it's place within the uk.

below my effort are the flags of northern ireland and Ulster respectively.

ni3.GIF

Last edited:
I like the ATL Union Jack better than ours because it's simpler and thus more accurate to reproduce. Too often people reverse the interlacing of the Andrew's and Patrick's crosses and make the flag look upside down, or don't reproduce it in the proper gyronny pattern. IOW it's hard to draw and remember accurately.

As for the Northern Ireland flag, it compromises too much and looks overwrought and, again, too complicated. Both sides will hate it. Rather like Good Friday, unfortunately. :(

The American Empire

I have one for a TL I'm currently working on where the American Revolution never takes place, leading to Britain allowing the independence of the American Empire as gratitude for American help in the Napoleonic Wars:

Walter_Kaufmann said:
I have one for a TL I'm currently working on where the American Revolution never takes place, leading to Britain allowing the independence of the American Empire as gratitude for American help in the Napoleonic Wars:
Hmmm. What was the motivation for the Americans to use the flag of the East India Company (the only flag with 13 stripes at the time)? And why five-pointed stars and not something that indicates British origin?

The First Flag of the Dominion of America

Okay. The history of the flag of the American Empire.

The First Flag of the Dominion (1767 - 1815) assumed the 13 stripes because there were 13 "American" colonies (obviously, the northern colonies of Nova Scotia and Quebec, as well as the southern colonies of Cuba, Jamaica, and Barbados, joined at a later date). Robert Clive, who was appointed the first Governor-General of the Dominion of America in 1767, was influential in adopting the "East India Company" design for the Dominion flag. The Dominion flag had the traditional British flag (St. George's and Andrew's Crosses) in a blue field in the upper left corner. I'll continue with the history of the First Flag of the American Empire in a following post.

The First (and only) Flag of the American Empire

Okay. The history of the flag of the American Empire.

The First (and only) Flag of the American Empire (1815 - ) assumed the original 13 stripes of the First Flag of the Dominion as a manner of tradition. Located in the upper-left hand corner was the national crest adopted by the American line of the Royal Family, which began with William Guelph, the British First Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh and continued with his daughter Sophia, who married William Bainbridge, a Naval Officer in the American Imperial Navy, in 1809. Sophia became the first Queen of the American Empire in 1815, and the name Bainbridge continues in the Royal Line to this day. The family adopted the crest, showing the stripes of the flag going downward with a blue strip at the top. The crest symbolized the American efforts which eventually won them the gratitude causing Britain to great the American Empire freedom following the Napoleonic Wars. The four stars, decided upon after months, supposedly represent the four regions of the American Empire: The North, East, South, and West. The crest replaced the British flag in the left-hand corner, leaving us with the current flag.