AHC/WI: Macmillan takes UK into the EEC

Britain first applied to join the EEC in 1961 under Macmillan. This application was famously vetoed by De Gaulle in 63, who did so again in 67. It was only in 69 after De Gaulle’s passing that Britain was able to start a third, successful bid culminating in membership in 72/73.

What would it take for the original application to be successful, and what would be the effects of much earlier British entry? ( I know I’ve rather suggested a route in getting rid of De Gaulle but how representative was he of the French establishment at the time, what are the ramifications of the particular means of taking him out the picture, and does it have to be someone in particular instead of him to accept UK membership?)

What happens with EFTA in such a scenario?

Might Denmark and (non-EFTA member) Ireland seek to join the EEC earlier than IOTL?
Might Norway and/or Iceland join it at about the same time?
Given that the precursors to the Common Fisheries Policy didn't exist until 1970, might this be different as a result?

What happens with EFTA in such a scenario?

Might Denmark and (non-EFTA member) Ireland seek to join the EEC earlier than IOTL?
Might Norway and/or Iceland join it at about the same time?
Given that the precursors to the Common Fisheries Policy didn't exist until 1970, might this be different as a result?
I suppose it depends on how successfully Britain slows/prevents integration. Ireland has a particularly compelling gravity of trade in any case but if UK membership makes it clear that the future of the EEC is much less divergent from EFTA then it’s mainly a question of how important an independent external tariff is to them?

Ireland applied at the sametime as the UK in the 60's while also drawing up plans in case of the UK getting in and Ireland being refused. There was plenty of discussions between Brussels and Dublin during the period (for example there were concerns regarding a Non-NATO member joining given at the time all were members of NATO as well). Sean Lemass was very supportive of it, though critical of the UK's intentions.

So reading this was a slight surprise; I didn’t realise there was such active efforts in the Kennedy administration to encourage EEC membership. With a successful first application does the US lean on Britain more to shape the future shape of the bloc and does it change the wider continent-US relationship in a way OTL accession didn’t; does hopes of a transformed relationship between the continents themselves pan out?