AHC: A more competent U.S. Armed Forces

Ahahahahaha, yeah, I forgot about that one. They were going to be an ISO container with wings holding a platoon of troops, because nothing could possibly go wrong with that. I think somehow an A10 was supposed to be the glider transport?

That is...beyond any level of stupidity in military planning since the invasion of Iraq.

Oh my, Mike Sparks. I think you're spot on in him having a mental illness. It's really the only way to explain his vitoralic rants, delusions of grandeur, and obsession with those out there ideas.

It's a shame that when you look up military reform that these guys and their ilk are the top hits. There are serious discussions on the matter to be had, but most of them have no firm grasp on reality. It can be seen in the hatred of electronics mentioned above, and derision of things like GPS enabled precision guided munitions. Most of these guys seem to want to re-fight World War 2 with light infantry! General rule of thumb: if you can find that an author is seriously advocating the return of the Iowas, then they have no idea about modern manning requirements and the effects of PGM. Fortunately most of them seem to also dedicate bandwidth to 9/11 trutherism, so they can be easily spotted.

BlondieBC

Banned
All those crazy guys who got run out of the military are obsessed with the Iowas. Meyer at least generally backs his stuff up and has a few decent ideas. My personal favorite 90's military reformer is Mike Sparks (www.combatreform.org), who can best be described as what would happen if the Time Cube guy was obsessed with the M113 and thought it could solve every problem of the US military. I don't like lumping him in with other crazy military reform guys on geocities because I'm reasonably sure he is mentally ill.

The Iowas received vastly too much hype. All this false PR was one of the main things I had to unlearn for my TL. Lets go through some issues.

1) The ammo is getting old. As it gets old, it gets more unstable. To really keep the Iowas, you have to produce all new ammo. We are extremely lucky we did not lose 2K sailors when one of the ships had the explosion in the firing exercise. The powder bag went off because light pressure was applied (the ram). It just as easily could have went off in the powder magazine and this would have split the ship in half. No more than 20 sailors would have lived and it is likely in the single digits.

2) The manpower requirements are huge. If you want a Monitor (which is all we really used them for in combat), you need to build a new turret from the ground up to lower manpower usage. Saves money in the long run.

3) If you are just using as ship to ship missile boat that can carry a lot of weight (what they claimed it was for), then you don't man the turrets. Maybe keep enough men on to man two guns in one turret, but then leave the other two empty to save $$. As you wear out guns, you can move the men to the other turrets. The barrels have fairly short lives compared to land based systems. You can't really remove the structural parts of the turret without some real issues, so it is hard to convert them to something else. Just wasted space in many ways.

4) The armor on these ships is basically worthless for modern naval combat. Actually probably a net harm due to weight. If you ever get a fire going from rocket fuel, the weight will bring up some real structural issues due to weakened steel.

There are a bunch of other issues, but history is pretty clear that converting capital gun ships to other usages generally is not a great idea, and is always a stop gap measure. Now I am not against a 16" monitor for the marine corp. Just built one to specs. You only need maybe 2-4 16" guns. You need to be armed not with a deep belt to stop 16" rounds, but with lighter armor on the surface of the ship to stop lighter land based artillery. It can be slow - 10-18 knots is probably fine. It helps if it is shallow draft. Probably some modified drilling platform for inshore drilling would work well.

And I am not against building new "battleships", if you can explain why it is better than cruisers. But you will need modern guns (maybe the railgun under development), not 75 year old weapons. Probably will have missiles as main weapons. You can skip the armor. Probably nuclear powered.

In many ways, the Iowas were a stunt to get the USN to Reagan's 600 ship navy fast. The probably is a modern cruiser would make a lot more sense. The Iowa probably had some role as a reserve ship, but to keep costs down, the personnel should have been all reserve, and you only bring it out for the Iraq war. The concept of a battleship sailing the Ocean's in the 1990 was a waste of money. Yes they had capabilities, but much less than other ships you could have spent the money on.

BlondieBC

Banned
This is very true, but an Iowa has seven and a half inches of deck armor and a foot-thick armor belt. An Exocet or Harpoon isn't gonna do much more than scratch the paint on that. And before anyone asks, yes a Shipwreck or something like that will take out damn near anything, but how many nations have such missiles? I think the better reason against the Iowas is size and whether something smaller can do the same job, as they are monstrous things to be sure.

No, you are repeating navy PR myths. Yes the numbers quote are right, but not the conclusion. Issues:

1) The main armor belt is near the water line. It is made of Class B armor (unhardened). For missiles attacks, it provides no protection. They come in above the belt, so the belt does not matter. And once the unused rocket fuel starts to burn, they create issues. If the 16" belt has fire on it, the steel will lose strength. The great weight will make the ship more likely to sink (break in half). And the damage can't be repaired. Even a handful of smaller missiles can result in permanent mission kill. i.e. you take to drydock and scrap.

2) The smaller missiles you list will penetrate the armor on kinetic energy alone. The all also can fit shape charged warheads. They can also be programmed to change final attack angles. In short, the penetrate.

3) The 7.5 inch armor you list is misleading. First, it is built on "all or nothing protection scheme". So large portions of the ship is unarmored. Second, that is max thickness. The armor is carefully thinned to provide just enough protection from enemy battleships. The weather deck is under 2", maybe under an 1". Now yes, this is hardened (Class A) armor, but it is not that impressive. Almost all modern tanks and other armored vehicles have the equivalent of a lot more than 7" of steel armor. Basically any anti-tank weapon known to god will penetrate the Iowa armor. What makes an Iowa tougher than a tank is that most of the Iowa is non-critical spaces. So the Iowa can take many Exocet hits, but eventually they will either find a critical space (catastrophic loss of ship) or they will start doing cumulative structural damage to the strength decks giving you a permanent mission kill. Yes, the Iowa likely takes a hit from one or two Exocets and keeps on the mission, but as the number climbs up towards 20 or so hits, the ship is a loss.

4) Plunging fire. The Iowa armor does provide some protection from land based artillery (if you are thinking of it as a Monitor), but is vulnerable to plunging (high angle) fire. Even a plan old 155mm artillery round is likely to breach the weather deck. Now without the fires associated with missiles, these are much, much less likely to greatly harm the ship.

5) The Iowa is horrible against any modern torpedo. How many nations have torpedoes? And if they have no submarines, exactly why do you need a Iowa to defeat say Chile?

I dearly love Battleships, but the USN is just misleading people on a lot of this stuff. The Iowa only had three roles. The main was to give Reagan good PR. They do make nice Monitors, and if kept in reserve status and we assume a 3-6 month leadup to a minor war, they do make nice support for the Marines. They may even be cost effective in this role. Third, they were big ships that could hold lots of modern missiles. They made an ok stop gap measure. The 16" guns have low value in modern naval war. Probably as likely to sink the Iowa in ammo explosion as actually take out an enemy warship that could not simply be sunk easier by shooting a missile. The armor is a negative. It makes it slower and more vulnerable to fire damage.

BlondieBC

Banned
My image of ROTC is its effectiveness varies depending on how savvy and well-connected the ROTC CO is and how much time the cadets can get with active or reserves units actually playing with the tools and tactics and people they'll be working with.

A really good CO and savvy veteran instructors can really train up some good 2LTS if their cadets pay attention and go through the whole course.

ROTC makes a good recruiting tool and it helps more people see military officers as human beings they go to class with, not weird semi-cult figures off doing spooky stuff in the woods.

Maybe I'm a bit naive, but don't Army 2LT's have to learn to call in airstrikes and so forth that may involve the Air Force or Navy for CAS?
Do they still have FAC's from the Air Force tagging along to make sure they get the coordinates and target info dialed in?

At any rate thanks for replying and enlightening me.

I am sure 2LT learn how to call in airstrikes, but when I was in, each Battalion had a CAS officer and NCO attached from Air Force. They are pilots. Pilots can explain things to pilots much better than people who have never flown. Just like every infantry sergeant knows how to call in artillery fire, you prefer to have FO call it in.

Having worked with 2LT as their driving, I would not call them well trained. Quite frankly, I could do most of their job better than them. The Sergeants in the Humvee could do much, much better. 20 years of experience beats a few months of classroom time. 2LT is basically an apprentence program, but do to the structure of nobility outranking commoners, the NCO reports to the 2LT not vice versa. I have also driven for Captains. By the the time they are a Captain, they know what they are doing. Captains really command units. Platoon sergeants really do the work leading and commanding Platoons. I know a lot of effort is given 2LT feeling like they are in charge. And the can override the sergeants, it will just be a short career for them. If the 2LT really made the decisions, he would fail his performance reviews. It is different by the time you get the Captains and Colonels. They actually understand what they are doing.

And you are right on the ROTC having a large political and public relations side. For example, the reason the Ivy league schools have ROTC is not that they expect them to have long military careers. It is because the Army know that Congressmen and their staffers often come from Ivy League and they want them to be more pro military. This is the only reason the Ivy League ROTC was not cancelled. It is how it was sold to the generals by the colonel in charge. The were complaining about how few went past the initial sign up. And he told them "Would you rather ask for your appropriation from a Senatorial Chief of Staff who has 5 years army experience or from a Senatorial Chief of Staff who has a negative view of the Army?" They never again tried to cut his budget.

While we're on the topic of gun cruisers... how feasible would it be for the Navy to get a new class of missile cruisers based on a Des Moines-class hull?

Marc A

Ideally you would want to create a new hull to incorporate improvements made in ship building and bow mounted sonars / nixie etc. This is before we start thinking about powerplants, bow mounted thrusters (which are just beautiful in assisting coming alongside) or the pods on an FFG.

Up to you, but preference would be for a new hull.

Ideally you would want to create a new hull to incorporate improvements made in ship building and bow mounted sonars / nixie etc. This is before we start thinking about powerplants, bow mounted thrusters (which are just beautiful in assisting coming alongside) or the pods on an FFG.

Up to you, but preference would be for a new hull.

Well, yeah, of course a new hull (don't want to use WWII-era dinosaurs, now do we? ;)), I'm just saying the new design would be one based on the Des Moines, with all the modern goodies fitted.

So it's workable, eh? Good. :)

Marc A

Do you mean taking just the hull form and using that space to build a modern cruiser, or using the hull as armored and building it up?

Do you mean taking just the hull form and using that space to build a modern cruiser, or using the hull as armored and building it up?

The former. Which means the new class of cruisers will be built with new material, using the Des Moines hull as basis of design.

Marc A

While this is ressurected, I've got a question:

Why hasn't the Bradley or any other US armed land combat vehicle been upgraded to use a ground-launched version of the Hellfire instead of the TOW as its anti-tank missile?

Why hasn't the Bradley or any other US armed land combat vehicle been upgraded to use a ground-launched version of the Hellfire instead of the TOW as its anti-tank missile?

You could do that?? I never knew... :eek:

Marc A

Money that doesn't have to spent, I suspect. The TOW is still a serious weapon and fully capable of shutting down most tanks.

Money that doesn't have to spent, I suspect. The TOW is still a serious weapon and fully capable of shutting down most tanks.

The Hellfire has superior range though. A tank can easily kill a Bradley at longer range than the TOW can hit a tank.

Pomphis

Banned
The Hellfire has superior range though. A tank can easily kill a Bradley at longer range than the TOW can hit a tank.

In open desert. In many other terrains the two will not be able to see one another until they are much closer.

Isn't much of that because the Hellfire is launched at speed and at altitude?

I wonder how big the range difference is when you put a Hellfire in similar conditions as a TOW missile.