Agent Lavender: The Flight of Harold Wilson

I found the first sentence of the last paragraph to be quite funny.

I have a feeling Agent Lavender's trials and tribulations have only just begun, to say nothing of Britain's. Sneaking suspicion that the US will never trust the UK again, ever, too.

I found the first sentence of the last paragraph to be quite funny.

I have a feeling Agent Lavender's trials and tribulations have only just begun, to say nothing of Britain's. Sneaking suspicion that the US will never trust the UK again, ever, too.

I'm glad you liked it, that was one of mine. As Roem says, this is quite an in-depth collaboration - we check each other's sections but generally will be doing different bits of the same update (eg this time I did the present day stuff while Roem did the flashbacks) and even more generally speaking the whole plot and structure has come from conversations between the two of us.

As for what awaits both Mr (or is it Comrade?) Wilson and the United Kingdom as a whole, well, I'd be lying if I said it was a bed of roses.

"YOU ELECTED A COMMIE TO THE PRIME MINISTERSHIP?!?!" - America.

"Well done, Britain. Your people show that they prefer the glories of Communism to the decadence of Capitalism." - USSR.

"Well... We didn't know he was a communist when we elected him..." - Britain.

I'm glad you liked it, that was one of mine. As Roem says, this is quite an in-depth collaboration - we check each other's sections but generally will be doing different bits of the same update (eg this time I did the present day stuff while Roem did the flashbacks) and even more generally speaking the whole plot and structure has come from conversations between the two of us.

Heh, sounds like Eyes except e of pi and myself tend to split up post-by-post rather than work together on individual posts.

May you live in interesting times indeed.

I assume that there's going to be political chaos, and that some form of National Government will be formed until an election can be held - at which point the Labour Party seems likely to shatter into a half-dozen pieces.

What do you do when the Prime Minister is unmasked as a spy? How many of the government have been "turned"? How do we find out without interrogating them? How do you run a government when your legitmacy, even your loyalty, is under investigation.

Mountbatten's Coup might be more than a rumour. It might just become a conspiracy with some very serious legs...

I greatly enjoyed the over-all premise, the story telling and indeed the device of a farmer defending his property from invading youth/PMs/Russians/poachers

May you live in interesting times indeed.

I assume that there's going to be political chaos, and that some form of National Government will be formed until an election can be held - at which point the Labour Party seems likely to shatter into a half-dozen pieces.

Forget a national government - as soon as this comes out Margaret Thatcher will call a vote of no confidence in the government and demand a general election. She should win too - Labour only had a majority of 3 in the Commons anyway, now of course only 2 with Wilson's departure and I can't see any of the minor parties backing the government when nobody can know how many other senior figures in the Labour Party were recruited by Agent Lavender.

She should win the General Election too - Labour will be leaderless (how can anybody promoted by Wilson possibly hope to become prime minister until he's been cleared by the security services?), tearing itself apart and under attack from all sides.

Forget a national government - as soon as this comes out Margaret Thatcher will call a vote of no confidence in the government and demand a general election. She should win too - Labour only had a majority of 3 in the Commons anyway, now of course only 2 with Wilson's departure and I can't see any of the minor parties backing the government when nobody can know how many other senior figures in the Labour Party were recruited by Agent Lavender.

She should win the General Election too - Labour will be leaderless (how can anybody promoted by Wilson possibly hope to become prime minister until he's been cleared by the security services?), tearing itself apart and under attack from all sides.

I think you may be overestimating the relevance of parliamentary arithmetic when, with the little information available, the entire membership of the largest party are a security risk. Rest assured that Thatcher will play a large part in events to come, however.

I think you may be overestimating the relevance of parliamentary arithmetic when, with the little information available, the entire membership of the largest party are a security risk. Rest assured that Thatcher will play a large part in events to come, however.

Fair dos - change "should" to "will" in that case:cool: If she doesn't call a vote of no confidence in such circumstances then she's not the Margaret we know and love ...

Fair dos - change "should" to "will" in that case:cool: If she doesn't call a vote of no confidence in such circumstances then she's not the Margaret we know and love ...

Oh, she will certainly call for a confidence vote as soon as the news breaks, but given how serious things are about to become there will be Some Elements In Whitehall who think a General Election might be a waste of time, given the circumstances... but I've said too much already.

Thande

Donor
I expect we'll see some intrigue responsible for the results of the 1970 election in a flashback...

Also, "Harold Wilson discovered to be a communist agent; Margaret Thatcher responded by calling for a general election."

abc123

Banned
So if I did read last update well, HW will not actually escape to USSR, he will be caught doeing that...
But he can still claim that he was lured into trap and abducted by KGB agents, after all, all other whitneses are dead...

So if I did read last update well, HW will not actually escape to USSR, he will be caught doeing that...
But he can still claim that he was lured into trap and abducted by KGB agents, after all, all other whitneses are dead...

Astute, but remember there must have been a reason he was meant to escape in the first place.

Also, "Harold Wilson discovered to be a communist agent; Margaret Thatcher responded by calling for a general election."

History is cyclical.