A Wilder Wildcat

It is not the power I have problems with re-building the Wildcat prototype, it is the weight spiralling up severely due to the jump from the initial 1-stage 1-speed S/C R-1830-SCG the XF4-2 used. That engine was 1370 lbs, and was replaced with the 2-speed 2-stage S/Ced R-1830-76 (weight 1565 lbs) for the F4F-3. For comparison sake, the R-2600 as used on most of A-20s, with 1600 HP, weighted 1950 lbs.
The 10 ft prop (314-315 lbs) will not cut it, will need at least the 11.3ft prop like the A-20 used - 400 lbs?
(the FM-2 used a 394 lb prop)
Oil system (30 lbs on the -3, 35 lbs on the -4, since it was supposed to use drop tanks) will not cut it, half of the oil system for the A-20 = 172 lbs (for 344 lbs total); the FM-2 went with 99 lb heavy oil system. Oil itself on the -3 was at ~70-80 lbs, we gonna need 100 just to cater for greater power?
Engine bearers, firewall - perhaps another 100 lbs?
So after we're past the firewall, weight is up by ~550 lbs, or about extra 10% of the empty weight.
Extra fuel tankage (140-ish US gals will not cut it anymore, 200 just might?) = 360 lbs + another 100 lbs for the self-sealing fuel tanks (it was 233 lbs for the fuel system on the -3, more on -4).
Sturdier U/C, since the old, 351 lb unit will not do - another 50-100lbs (FM-2 U/C was at 442 lbs). New U/C will need longer legs and wider tires, too.
We didn't added any ballast to the tail yet, and we didn't increased the tail yet.

If we don't touch anything else, we're at a 1000 lbs greater weight for a clean and fueled 'Chad Wildcat', ie. at 8500-8600 lbs instead of at 7560 lbs (full ammo for 4 HMGS, full fuel, still no folding wings). Now we enter the problem of aircraft not being able to match the same G limit as the -3 did since the strength (and also the weight) of the structural elements remained the same. We also don't meed the stalling speed requirements that -3 meat easily, since the wing loading just went up by 15%. Both of the problems are made worse with desire to have the folding wings and an extra pair of MGs for the next version of the Chad Wildcat.

FM-2 was powered by a lighter engine than the engine on the F4F-3 or -4 (1400 lbs with accesories for the R-1820-56), that meant the FM-2 weighted as much as the F4F-3 despite the FM-2 having the heavier, folding wings. Increase in power was modest, 1360 HP vs. 1200.

I agree that the fighters were designed around the engine. Problem with the F4F was that it was designed around a relatively small and light engine.

Would they be better advised to modify the XF4F-2 to have the R-2600, or that they make a bespoke aircraft with the R-2600 in the nose?

For their own reasons, USN was never really sold on turbochargers. They did support (not just in wording, but also monetarily) the work at P&W to make the 2-stage supercharging a viable tech; I assume that they also supported the similar work at Wright, that was later than P&W by many months in that regard.
A fighter that also has the turbocharger required to supply the compressed air at 20000+ ft for the R-2600 will add both weight and drag penalty, so again I'd say we're better off with a bespoke design.
So, basically, we have the same debate Grumman had with the Bureau of Aeronautics. Grumman wanted to build a fighter around the R-2600 and the Bureau thought that would too complicated so they should stick with the test aircraft. Keep in mind that they found the F4F able to compete with the F2A Buffalo, so the navy should give them a contract. Grumman engineers weren't incompetent so they must have thought they could make it work. Granted the alternative would be 15-20% heavier than the OTL F4F-3 but it would have 33% more power to work with. I also don't see where all this additional drag would be coming from. The front and the cowling wouldn't change and that's where most of the parasitic drag would be coming from. Having a longer fuselage and larger tail doesn't necessarily add much drag.

Weights data that I was able to collect give ~1650 lbs for the 1-speed S/Ced R-2180s (100 oct fuel, 1400 HP), ~1750 lbs for the 2-speed S/Ced version that was never manufactured (both with 1-stage S/C), and 1810 lbs for the 2-stage 2-speed version (again never produced; 1400 HP on 100 oct). The 1750 lb version was supposed to turn 2600 rpm and make 1500 HP (this is very, very close to what the Ha 109 was good for, FWIW), others were at 2500 rpm.
All these max power figures are for low altitudes; the 1-speed S/Ced versions were low-altitude types.

Will any of these fit on the F4F? The better and the heavier the version, the harder will be to fit it. If we want the lightest so 1-stage, 1-speed, 2500 rpm max), yet tuned for altitudes 13000-15000 ft at least, we'd be probably getting ~1200 HP there (almost mimics the Ha 41), or about 100 extra when compared with what the F4F-3 and -4 already had. Enough of difference to bother? You'd be the judge, as Paul Harrell was saying, expecially since the original engine on the F4F-3 was a bit better as altitude increased further.
Going with the best option wrt. the power at all altitudes, the 2-stage 2-speed version is the best fit, with probably 1250 HP at 18000 ft (assuming the same S/C tech level as on the F4F-3's engines), although the 1750 lb version mentioned above will be close to it there due to it's extra 100 rpm.

tl;dr - the more power we want, the greater the weight penalty will be had, and also greater increase of structural weight will be needed

Bingo! for the whole quoted passage.

Works for me.
I'm okay with the another alternative scenario - a conservative fighter designed around a big radial is made instead of the XF5F/XP-50 with TBF going on as-is; the big fighter gives the hard time to the Zeroes so the overall USN losses are lower (ie. losses the fighters, dive bombers and torpedo bombers suffered).
The X5F5 1st flew on April 1st 1940, the XP-50 on 18th February, so there is a good chance that a big fighter is making a lot's of flights as a prototype by second half of 1940 instead, with early 1941 seeing the pre-series examples in test phase, and tooling up for series production through the best part of 1941.

I'd again agree with the early F4U, even with an imperfect R-2800 in the nose.
Since the Ha-109 is mentioned, just saying that for some reason the americans never quite managed to make their radials with smaller diameters (hence less drag) like the japanese did, the Ha-109 has a diameter of just 126cm while the R-2180 is 137cm (!), which is huge difference comparatively, even if the Ha-109 has a bit more capacity. Even the much larger Kasei has a diameter of "just" 134cm. And the rejected Shinten only 130cm.

So perhaps PW would have been better off working on a redesigned R-2180 of reduced diameter instead of R-2000, let's call this R-2180-B.

I've looked for examples of R-2180 replacing R-1830 on fighters and that seems to only apply to P-43 vs XP-44. From what i read the airframes were pretty much the same except a longer nose on the XP-44. I haven't found any comparative details of weights and dimensions for the two though, as well as XP-44 performance.
Other examples of larger engines replacing smaler ones are Spitfire (Griffon vs Merlin), and Bf-109 ( DB-600 vs Jumo-210), and the aforementioned A6M.

So based on the above, it seems fitting the R-2180 MIGHT work, though of course there will be a weight increase, longer nose etc. If not, then the other option is we go round again to the R-2000, have PW stop work on the R-2180 asap and concentrate on the R-2000 instead, including fitting the 2-stage SC. Seems the R-2000 would be a bit lighter than the R-2180 (though i'm just going by wiki figures), but the most important plus is the more acceptable diameter of 126cm, which means an easier fit in the nose, less drag etc. If the resulting F4F-4/R-2000 ( with the 2-stage SC) has another 10mph in speed and 1000 ft in climb, it still almost restored the F4F-3 performance.

So, basically, we have the same debate Grumman had with the Bureau of Aeronautics. Grumman wanted to build a fighter around the R-2600 and the Bureau thought that would too complicated so they should stick with the test aircraft.
:)
Grumman at the end built a fighter around the R-2600.

Keep in mind that they found the F4F able to compete with the F2A Buffalo, so the navy should give them a contract. Grumman engineers weren't incompetent so they must have thought they could make it work.

I don't think that Grumman's engineers were incompetent, after all they churned out a brand new design per almost each year between 1939 and 1945.

Competent as they were, crucial help to not just compete with F2A, but to make a better performer, came from Pratt & Whitney. P&W's help was the R-1830-76, with it's 2-speed 2-stage supercharger. That engine was making, for example, 1000 HP at 19000 ft, where the R-1830-66 (a.k.a. SCG; installed on the XF4F-2) was good for less than 650 HP - having 50% more power at altitude where air is thin is a major boon. Even at 10000 ft - best altitude of the SCG - the difference was about 200 HP (900 HP vs. 1100 for the -76).

Granted the alternative would be 15-20% heavier than the OTL F4F-3 but it would have 33% more power to work with. I also don't see where all this additional drag would be coming from. The front and the cowling wouldn't change and that's where most of the parasitic drag would be coming from. Having a longer fuselage and larger tail doesn't necessarily add much drag.

I've mentioned the additional drag only in context of the suggested installation of turbo-supercharger system to help out at high altitudes. Extra drag comes there in requirement that intercoolers are to be installed, and that intakes required for cooling the turbine had to be present. The 'normal' (ie. no turbo) 2-stage supercharged engines also required intercoolers, eg. we can see the two intakes for these at each side of the Hellcat's 'beard (with oil cooler and ram air sharing the central intake). See here, one of the intercoolers is visible.

(engines with just one stage of supercharging, like the Merlin III/XX/45, Allison V-1710 as installed on the P-40, P-39 or P-51, BMW 801, R-2600 in majority of cases, DB 601, most of Japanese and Soviet engines were without the intercooler; radial engines with just 1 stage of supercharging were also very awkward to have the intercooler installed since there was no common manifold leading from the S/C)

Last edited:
I've looked for examples of R-2180 replacing R-1830 on fighters and that seems to only apply to P-43 vs XP-44. From what i read the airframes were pretty much the same except a longer nose on the XP-44. I haven't found any comparative details of weights and dimensions for the two though, as well as XP-44 performance.
The XP-44 probably never moved upwards fro the back of the envelope sketches. Unfortunately, we will probably never know anything more about it, especially since after Fairchild bought Republic, vast majority of Republic's legacy documents went into landfill.

If USAAC/AAF and Seversky/Republic agreed the terms about the XP-44 to proceed, AAF would've probably have a working 1-engined high-altitude fighter by late 1941, talk 400 mph above 20000 ft? And by mid-1942, the upgraded version with drop tanks etc. Swamping up the Festung Europa all the way to Berlin by early 1943 by many hundreds of fighters at B-17 cruise altitudes, with extra performance due to the upgraded R-2180s, ready to receive water-alcohol injection by late 1943...

The XP-44 probably never moved upwards fro the back of the envelope sketches. Unfortunately, we will probably never know anything more about it, especially since after Fairchild bought Republic, vast majority of Republic's legacy documents went into landfill.

If USAAC/AAF and Seversky/Republic agreed the terms about the XP-44 to proceed, AAF would've probably have a working 1-engined high-altitude fighter by late 1941, talk 400 mph above 20000 ft? And by mid-1942, the upgraded version with drop tanks etc. Swamping up the Festung Europa all the way to Berlin by early 1943 by many hundreds of fighters at B-17 cruise altitudes, with extra performance due to the upgraded R-2180s, ready to receive water-alcohol injection by late 1943...
I can't really see the P-44 going 400 mph just by having anther 200 HP from the R-2180 over the P-43, though later variants with ADI injection and more power might approach that. Still, probably the americans would be better of with P-44s or even P-43s (with a better fuel system) than say P-39s, since aiui the P-43 had very good altitude performance and P-44 would have topped that. I've read they wanted to put a R-2600 on P-44 as well.

In general, seems the later Seversky fighters be it P-41,43 or 44 would have been good to have in numbers until the P-47. (the P-35 though was subpar, i don't know what were they thinking putting that grotesque trousered landing gear on it, surely they could have found a way to retract the wheels flush, either like on P-36 or inward retracting like later etc.)

I can't really see the P-44 going 400 mph just by having anther 200 HP from the R-2180 over the P-43, though later variants with ADI injection and more power might approach that. Still, probably the americans would be better of with P-44s or even P-43s (with a better fuel system) than say P-39s, since aiui the P-43 had very good altitude performance and P-44 would have topped that. I've read they wanted to put a R-2600 on P-44 as well.
Last R-2180s mooted before the wartime 'pause' were supposed to make 1500 HP (now turning 2600 rpm vs. 2500 rpm as on the engines sold to Japan), so perhaps that would've been actually done by 2nd half of 1941? Sharing the bore and stroke with R-2800 might've possibly helped with evolution of the 2180 (fingers crossed), as it was possibly the case with the post war 2180E (that one did 2800 rpm and made better power, especially with water-alc injection).

Last R-2180s mooted before the wartime 'pause' were supposed to make 1500 HP (now turning 2600 rpm vs. 2500 rpm as on the engines sold to Japan), so perhaps that would've been actually done by 2nd half of 1941? Sharing the bore and stroke with R-2800 might've possibly helped with evolution of the 2180 (fingers crossed), as it was possibly the case with the post war 2180E (that one did 2800 rpm and made better power, especially with water-alc injection).

Oh yeah, i've been superficial enough on american engines not to realize till now that the R-2180, R-2800 and R-4360 share the same bore and stroke. So it definitely makes sense to focus on developing the R-2180 instead of the odd-one-out R-2000. They could then get 2600 rpm and 1500 HP from the R-2180 as you say in 1941, and then 2700 rpm and 1600 plus HP later on, then ADI etc, before morphing into the R-2180E.

So indeed the Wildercat F4F-4/FM-1 would have 1400-1500 HP available for 1941-42 and 1600 HP plus for the later FM-2.

Last edited:
(my bold)

P&W delivered grand total of 6 (six) 2-stage R-2800s in 1941, 1st month that saw more than 20 of these engines was April 1942 (none in January, for example). Real mass production of 2-stage S/Ced R-2800s hit the stride by June 1942, with 1st triple digits production of these engines.
How much did/could the war accelerate the development of the R-2800? If the war had started earlier, could we have seen an R-2800 developed in a correspondingly short (or long) timeframe, just moved forward a year or two?

How much did/could the war accelerate the development of the R-2800? If the war had started earlier, could we have seen an R-2800 developed in a correspondingly short (or long) timeframe, just moved forward a year or two?

I'm not sure that we can pinpoint to a right answer there.
We know a few things - like the 1st flight of XF4U-1 (May 1940), or the 1st flight of the B-26 (November 1940) - ironically, the B-26 was flown with a lesser version of the R-2800 (even though these R-2800s were with great power for that time). Joe Baugher's web site says:
On February 22, 1941, the first four B-26s were accepted by the USAAF.

(there was no specific prototype of the B-26 that early, Martin company gotten the contract 'from the drawing board')

It took Vought a lot more time to redesign the XF4U-1 into the combat-worthy Corsair we know and love, the 1st two being delivered in June 1942, and next 9 in August etc. 1st combat was at St. Valentine's day of 1943 (Zeros managing to do better that day than Americans).
P-47B was running even more late, and was plagued with engine fires, and tails detaching from the fuselage under high G maneuvers, leaving the P-47B without the service overseas.

My take on early US fighter with R-2800 in the nose: have a company (or two, or three) make a no-nonsense fighter around a big radial in the nose, perhaps instead of the B-26 for the needs of USAAC/AAF. May the better design win - something looking sorta big P-36? Perhaps have the 1st prototype flying in summer of 1940, and have the 1st examples delivered by late 1941, so the new fighter can be used in combat by mid 1942?
Another take: Lockheed makes a fighter around the R-2600 instead around the two V-1710 (USAAC preference was the V-1710, though), that looks like a big P-43. Re-engine it with R-2800 by 1941?

FWIW, the early R-2800s (making 1850 HP down low) were produced, before 1942, in 1480 pcs at P&W (mostly in second half of 1941) and at 262 ocs at Ford (Oct to Dec 1941). Most of these ended up in the B-26s.

Last edited:
I might have asked this elsewhere in the past but i don't quite recall the answer/figures, but in general how much extra HP would 100 extra rpm give, all else being equal? I guesstimated earlier on 1600HP for a 2700 rpm R-2180 and wanted to have a better estimate. And would be good to know to apply the percentage for other engines.
The above figures seem to suggest around 7%, or that's too high?

I might have asked this elsewhere in the past but i don't quite recall the answer/figures, but in general how much extra HP would 100 extra rpm give, all else being equal? I guesstimated earlier on 1600HP for a 2700 rpm R-2180 and wanted to have a better estimate. And would be good to know to apply the percentage for other engines.
The above figures seem to suggest around 7%, or that's too high?
For the engine of such cubic capacity, perhaps 100 HP extra down low, petering down with altitude, to, say, extra 50 HP at 20000 ft? So a gain of 7% is probably a realistic expectance.
Refinements of supercharger, greater area of cooing fins can add perhaps extra 50 HP each? Substantial jump in power should be provided by water-alcohol injection, talk another +-150 HP, as it was the case with post-war 2180s. The 2180s in the SAAB airliner were good for 1650 HP dry and 1800 'wet', as noted upthread.
Fuel better than 100 oct, like the 100/150 grade, or the post-war 115/145 grade should also allow for greater boost = more power. Talk another 100-150 HP.

Granted, the technology transfer from the development of the R-2800 and R-4360 will be needed to put all of these options into the workable engine, like it was certainly the case with the post-war 2180s.

So, are suggesting the lighter R-2180 would make a better engine for the Wildercat? A Wildcat with a 1,400 HP engine with a 2-speed 2-stage supercharger would be big improvement over the OTL Wildcat. Was this engine available in 1939-41?

I'm not sure that we can pinpoint to a right answer there.
We know a few things - like the 1st flight of XF4U-1 (May 1940), or the 1st flight of the B-26 (November 1940) - ironically, the B-26 was flown with a lesser version of the R-2800 (even though these R-2800s were with great power for that time). Joe Baugher's web site says:
On February 22, 1941, the first four B-26s were accepted by the USAAF.

(there was no specific prototype of the B-26 that early, Martin company gotten the contract 'from the drawing board')

It took Vought a lot more time to redesign the XF4U-1 into the combat-worthy Corsair we know and love, the 1st two being delivered in June 1942, and next 9 in August etc. 1st combat was at St. Valentine's day of 1943 (Zeros managing to do better that day than Americans).
P-47B was running even more late, and was plagued with engine fires, and tails detaching from the fuselage under high G maneuvers, leaving the P-47B without the service overseas.

My take on early US fighter with R-2800 in the nose: have a company (or two, or three) make a no-nonsense fighter around a big radial in the nose, perhaps instead of the B-26 for the needs of USAAC/AAF. May the better design win - something looking sorta big P-36? Perhaps have the 1st prototype flying in summer of 1940, and have the 1st examples delivered by late 1941, so the new fighter can be used in combat by mid 1942?
Another take: Lockheed makes a fighter around the R-2600 instead around the two V-1710 (USAAC preference was the V-1710, though), that looks like a big P-43. Re-engine it with R-2800 by 1941?

FWIW, the early R-2800s (making 1850 HP down low) were produced, before 1942, in 1480 pcs at P&W (mostly in second half of 1941) and at 262 ocs at Ford (Oct to Dec 1941). Most of these ended up in the B-26s.

IIRC, an increase from 2500 rpm to 2600 rpm would increase the engine's power by 60hp or 4%, all other things remaining equal.

I'm assuming I remember physics correctly and the engine's torque remains the same. An increase of 2500 rpm to 2600 rpm, a 4% increase in rpm, so a 4% increase in rpm should yield 4 % increase of power or 60 hp.

I'm calculating this based on the idea that power equals torque multiplied by rpm or, as in physics:
P = τ·ω
Where:
P is Power, here given in terms of horsepower
τ is torque, which I'm assuming is constant
ω is angular velocity, which here is given by rpm

So, are suggesting the lighter R-2180 would make a better engine for the Wildercat? A Wildcat with a 1,400 HP engine with a 2-speed 2-stage supercharger would be big improvement over the OTL Wildcat.

It would've been an engine choice with the lower weight penalty than the R-2600, even when we compare the heaviest R-2180A with the lightest R-2600.

Was this engine available in 1939-41?
That's the kicker - the 2-stage 2-speed R-2180 existed only on paper at P&W.

How about making the F4F-4 lighter (with or without an improved engine)?

I understand that while the F4F-4 had improved firepower over the F4F-3 and had the folding wing this all made it heavier and its rate of climb suffered vs the earlier F4F-3

The other downside of having 6 x .50 cal MGs was reduced ammunition per gun and the requirement was after feedback from the British who were having issues with the earlier 'Martlets' shooting down Condors (which were difficult to attack) - so perhaps keep the 4 gun armament of the F4F-3 for USN aircraft ?

That's got to save 50 odd kilos?

Also could the aircraft be made more aerodynamic - that windshield is like an airbrake?

Improved cockpit design and a proper spinner to improve aerodynamics

The extra weight of the folding wing is a necessary evil given the increased capacity in aircraft numbers that this brings to the USNs carriers air groups

Anywhere else weight could realistically be saved?

Anywhere else weight could realistically be saved?

Wing of the FM-2 was at 1154 lbs (folding, 4 HMG + ammo, drop tanks' facility).
That of the F4F-4 was at 1181 (same as above, but for 6 HMGs).
Non-folding wing of the F4F-3 was at 893 lbs.

tl;dr - keeping at 4 HMGs on a folding wing would've possibly saved another 25-30 lbs for the '-4 lite'.

Fuel system was there to stay, with simple and light self-sealing tank.
140-150 lbs can be saved with having 2 HMGs less (guns' weight + mountings). Another 100-ish due to need to carry less ammo + ammo boxes.
The best 1-stage superchraged R-1830 (possibly the equivalent of the -33 - a.k.a. S3C4G - as installed on the P-66 and indeed on some Martlets) can still save some 200 lbs vs. the -76, with a bit lower power at high altitudes; the 1-stage supercharged engines are without intercoolers, so there is more free volume in the fuselage, that can be now populated with oil coolers for lower weight and drag of these.
American radials, for the reasons unknown to me, were not very fond of the (big) spinners.

Main help would've come from the installation featuring the individual exhaust stacks instead of the collector exhausts. NACA measured an up to 18 mph gain with that simple expedient on the XF-41. Granted, this is not a save of weight, but the device to improve propulsive power - but this is no time to be picky:)

FWIW, Wright delivered their 1st and only R-1820-48 with a 2-speed 2-stage S/C in April 1941, to be fitted on a the XFLA-4 (?? Brewster lightweight fighter?). That was some 150-200 lbs lighter than the 2-speed 2-stage R-1830-76 as installed on the F4F-3 and -4, while providing the comparable power at altitudes.

Last edited:
I understand that while the F4F-4 had improved firepower over the F4F-3 and had the folding wing this all made it heavier and its rate of climb suffered vs the earlier F4F-3

The other downside of having 6 x .50 cal MGs was reduced ammunition per gun and the requirement was after feedback from the British who were having issues with the earlier 'Martlets' shooting down Condors (which were difficult to attack) - so perhaps keep the 4 gun armament of the F4F-3 for USN aircraft ?
USN pilots were VERY unhappy about the six gun armament for the very reasons you state. Keeping the four gun armament of the F4F-3 is going to placate a lot of people.

American radials, for the reasons unknown to me, were not very fond of the (big) spinners.
Yeah I never understood that

Even the F4U and F6F and later war T-Bolt didn't have them (later XP-47J and XP-72 - which would have been a superb aircraft - did)!

Although the Brewster Buffalo did!

Oh I wonder if it was due to cooling?

I know the B29s struggled with cooling so much that during take off magneto drop checks were conducted while taxing to the runway and on take off they did not climb until they achieved a certain speed to ensure adequate cooling.