A pagan Gaul TL

Well, i have think about what you have said...you are probably right : you are the only one who is reading my TL.
Considering the amount of work i had produced to translate and rewrite it, I think i will stop soon (unless the thousand people reading it secretly suddenly beg me!) as it doesn't really worth it. It's not as if i created it now. This TL was already written last year, it's only that if it doesn't interest someone I haven't to spend hours rewriting it.

I will wait some days to see if there is some activity (which i doubt), and then i will stop it.

However, at least for you, I will write the end of the story, and even my projets for the XI and XIIth century.

But a quicker version, with less details.

I agree with you, but its too bad: I liked the writing style and the story (mostly because I write a fantasy novel;)).

its a shame nobody else could see it

I will certainly read the end, but after today I will go on a holliday for a week.

but you will certainly recieve (iff its going to end) my final comment;)
and thanks for the fun and interesting reading material:D:D:D:D

Here, the map of these battles of the 940-953 war.

Note that the multiple victories of the western side helped Reims to enlarge its influence over the east, which will help in the future to maintain the independence of Reims against the "golden square" of Boulogne/Paris/Laon/Rouen (richest part of Franks, good lands trade and many cities).

Guerre Franc 9ème.PNG

Guerre Franc 9ème.PNG

The fate of Al-Tolosa (920-1000).

After the explosion of "Al Andalus", the taïfa of Al tolosa (which was already quite independent, due to the Pyrénées.) used its power to invade the taifa of Cantabria in 950-957. Thanks to their relationships with Gallia, they could ally with Asturia (a small post-roman kingdom which survive to the arabian invasion but had to pay a tribute, tribute they "forgot" to pay after the explosion, as there was nobody to ask for payment). The war ended to a statute-quo. However, Al-Tolosa kept Santander.

On an economical point of view, Al-Tolosa developed thanks to the watermill, very present in the Pyrénées where it could be used everywhere). They bought many Celtic products, as they were in fashion at this epoch.

The Atlantic coast was growing, more than the lands. As a matter of fact, the population of Tolosa was reduced by 30%, while cities like Bordeaux, Barcelona or Narbonne increased of 30% or more.
In Biarritz, a great lighthouse was built, called Dawa ("the light"). It gave the name of the city, Aldawa in the other languages. The lighthouse, of 92 meter high, is still visible (even if rebuilt in the XVIIth century), and used.

The power is recentralised on Tolosa after 980. A third palace was built, on the foundation of the first, built by Jules III during the 7th century. The new architectural style (the latter used the arlesian art), using arches was revolutionary. The same year, in 987, a chart is written, which defined the relationships between the "sultan" and the lords.

This is a golden age for Al tolosa. The trade routes from Africa to the North used the ports of Narbonne and Barcelona, while the banks of Garonne was covered with cities and bridges. Gold became more and more used to trade. It was the first time since the roman empire collapsed that gold was used to trade. This gold (which came from Africa) traveled to north africa and then Spain and Al tolosa. Mediterranean merchants settled in Tolosa, Montpellier, Barcelona and the coast became richer and richer.
Actually, because of the war in the east between Fatimides and oriental roman empire, trade wasn't safe there, and declined until 1300.

Moreover, the global warming allowed traders to cross the Pyrenees 9 months per year, versus 6 months only 2 centuries before.

On a religious point of view, some tensions began to rise. After 900, Islam began to settle outside of cities, and inside the cities. Tensions appeared between new muslims and older muslim, and between Solers (followers of Sol) and muslims. But the major issue is that Islam was adopted in a simpler way, the polytheist one. As i have already said before (see "Muhammad and Apolo"), some adored Muhammad as a god (of, more exactly, a hero such as Hercule), a hero of Sol, or a hero of Jupiter or Apolo (this cult, which was never forbidden, still existed in large parts of Gallia and Al tolosa).

The first lords who officially accepted the Islam did it around 980. We didn't find traces of problems, whereas it was probably obvious they were heretics, as they did it in the "polytheist" way.

All this movement was in the North of the Pyrenees.(the reasons were already explained in "Muhammad and Apolo"). But in Spain, in the end of the 10th century, some began to report this heresy and a book was written to denounce it. This book was the beginning of some important events during the 11th, the 12th and even the 13th century. Well, in fact, this book was one the most important book of all the middle age !

Today, the following of the summarize, concerning...the Franks.
This will be short, as I have already written the 920-960 part, so there is only the 960-1000 part left.

The final explosion (960-1000)

In Frank kingdom(s)

At the end of the Xth century, the global warming led to a global increase of wheat production, especially as far as the Seine valley is concerned.
This part (Picardie, mostly) was already the greatest producer of wheat of all the former Gaul. With this warming, the size of Amiens doubled during the Xth century. Oriental Franks were also getting richer and many cities appeared from dust, all along the Marseille-Lyon-Dijon-Reims-Aix la chapelle or Amiens.

The "golden square" was the region formed by 4 cities, between Seine, Oise and Somme. Beauvais-Amiens-Rouen-Dieppe
The castles were higher than before, (Castle of Metz, Laon, ruins of the castle of Troyes still visible).
More wealth meant also more independence; and the lord of Reims, theoretical "King" had actually no power over his "vassals". In fact he was in the same situation than the king of Franks before the oriental and occidental lords were separated.

That's how Robert (964-978-999)was nearly forced to beg the support of the lords of Troyes and Compiègne, who were neighbor and much less powerful than him, during a battle against a minor oriental lord.
His brother, Theodoric IV (968-999-1005) will be the weakest king ever seen. When he died, the occidental territory could be divided into 3 parts:

- The Picard area : Actually more an alliances between cities, conducted by Amiens. Calais, Laon, Paris Rouen Beauvais Dieppe, etc...
All these cities were living from trade and from wheat.
If you want to compare to OTL, compare it to the cities in Italia in the XIIth and XIIIth century.
They were turned to the North (Norsemen), to the sea (Celtic Britannia) and to the west (Britonnia)

- The Lyon territory : This territory was under the influence of Gallia. Gallian was used everywhere, and more and more. Everything was written , even the laws (whereas Franks worked with oral laws).

- At last, the Reims territory. Connected to the east, to the Rhine, and accepted by oriental as the representative of the western Franks.

Several small incidents will highlights the weakness of Reims ; that's how after the death of Thierry, when Philippe (995-1005-1043) came to power, the war began. Philippe wanted to control ALL francia occidentalis, and was ready to conquer it if necessary. This war will soon become a war between the three areas, and will last a very long time. (I will develop on that later)

just back:D (to go again next monday...only then to England and Normandy)

read everything so far, and its truely awsome:D:D

- The Picard area : Actually more an alliances between cities, conducted by Amiens. Calais, Laon, Paris Rouen Beauvais Dieppe, etc...
All these cities were living from trade and from wheat.
If you want to compare to OTL, compare it to the cities in Italia in the XIIth and XIIIth century.
They were turned to the North (Norsemen), to the sea (Celtic Britannia) and to the west (Britonnia)

sounds like a fun place to live;)

Well, i have still a lot to write, especially the ending text of Britonia and of Gallia

Next, i have several maps (languages, religion, political) of the year 1000

And, at last, my ideas for the next century.
I think that i have things to write until the end of August, perhaps a little more.

Normandy is a lovely place, if it doesn't rain...

The fate of Britonia (920-1000)

Here is the list of the 3 great druids on this period :

Ednat (880-909-943) Ertda (915-943-978) Ambadon (956-978-1028)

Ednat had to face the war against one of the greatest kingdoms of Britannia, the kingdom of southeast (in grey on the map, which absorbed the blue one in 930).
But the strongholds built by this same Ednat and before him by Gwygan on the frontier protected the territory. The war was therefore a list of small naval battles, or raids on coastal cities. This continued until 959. Actually, the druidom of Cornwall was too weak to defend itself (it was a vassal of Britonia, and not administrated by Britonia itself). In 959, Ertda canceled the vassaily of Contentin and Cornwall, and included it to the land of Britonia.

On the political aspect, the greatest event was the "Saumur war". Saumur is a small fortress on the Loire which belonged to Gallia, and which was a quite big city at this epoch because you could cross the Loire here.
Ambadon, who was the great druid in 978, was from Cornwall (Exeter). He was known to be a very harsh man. But i will speak of that later...
Well, under his reign the relationships with Gallia were quite good, until this event.
In 995, near Baugé (a small village near the Loire and near Saumur) the Lord (Gallian lord) of Saumur saw a druidic ceremony (animal sacrifice) in the woods during a hunt. Or, in Gallia, the druidic religion was not very well viewed, and theoretically forbidden, even if practiced in the region of the Loire (because of its proximity to Britonia).
Therefore, it was not allowed to sacrifice an animal to another god that Sol, or the old Gods (Venus, Apolo, Jupiter, etc., because they were seen as "harmless", and because of the tolerance of the former occidental roman empire).

The small band of warriors decided to wipe out the villagers, the druid, and came back to rape women and kill men here.
Ambadon reacted immediately, and attacked Saumur. He burnt all the villages and besieged Saumur.

Fabien II (king of Gallia) sent an emissary to resolve the situation.
Saumur would become a free city, with a territory given both on the north (by Britonia) and on the south of Loire (by Gallia).
The both religions could be practice here, and the city would "elect" its own lord.

A law was adopted in Gallia, the "Ley de Tolerans", which definitively accepted druidism on the north of Garonne and to the west of the Rhone. It developed in the region of Loire after the 11th century.

The former Lord of Saumur was given to Ambadon. It was the condition of the peace.

He was emasculated and after that hanged on the highest tower of Saumur.

Out of this, the cultural movement of Britonia expanded.
The craftmen society had its peak in the 10th century. Thanks to the gold of the arabian, they could use new materials in their crafts. The aristocracy of all the western europe wanted celtic products (for them, celtic meant Britonia, the other were just barbarians !).
This crafts evoked the subjects of women, nature, horses, war, etc.
In Britannia, this products were praised for their quality. The wealthy and the powerful were ready to pay a lot of money to have a sword chiseled with gold and silver with a sheath of leather and gold (just like the one which was found in London, and paid with 18 horses, an astronomical price at this epoch).

This products were also sold in Nantes (the greatest market for Britonian products) and in Frank kingdoms. Thanks to that, Britonia was know well known. Even Otto IV, king of Franks (oriental), sent several ambassador to Britonia to visit the fabric workshop of Aulercos (Evreux), were celtic carpets were made.
Argantrec (Orléans) was a strategic place for the trade of Horses. Due to its strategic place, between Gallia, Franks and Britonia, and on the Loire, horses could be easily and quickly transported.
Otto bought stirrups and saddles there.

Ertda, the druid of this time, was a friend of Eude the lord of Reims. His intervention saved Franks during the war against oriental Franks, in battles such as Paillencourt or Morbach.

Due to the global warming the population also increased.
In the Beauce (south of Paris), the production of wheat was very important and allowed the grow of cities and general population of 40% between 900 and 1000.

Rennes had probably between 100 000 and 150 000 inhabitants in 1000. It was one of the greatest city of all the former Gaul (with Reims, Marseille, and perhaps Nantes)
The ports of Aleth and Avranches were the nearest from Rennes and the roads between Aleth or Avranches to Rennes were very large and used. Sometimes, the products were carried by the Douena (the Vilaine)
The city of Rouen suffered from its position. Too close of the frontier, it couldn't develop as it was girdled by walls

The Iron druid (Amabadon), who succeeded to Ertda, was a builder. Coming from Exeter, he enlarged the port of Exeter and increased the trade between northern and southern britonia.

The end of the Greek dynasty (920-960)

Charles III (son of Augustus and Antonia), known as "the greek" (see the last text about Gallia) (904-920-949) died with only one child, a girl, Stephania, "the orphan princess" (940-1008)
After him, Alexis II, his brother (909-949-951)
After him, Fabien (911-951-976), son of Romule (889-918), himself brother of Augustus (and uncle of Charles III)
At last, Fabien II (960-976-1008)

When we stopped last time, Charles III was just crowned after the reign of high unpopularity of both Auguste and Antonia, who were considered as friends of the oriental roman empire.
Charles III didn't speak latin even in its arlesian form (the "language of the kings").
Charles III began to be viewed as a stranger, an enemy. He was also seen as an idiot because he spoke with a strong accent all his life.
But as he was powerful, the opposition was more like a resistance than a strong opposition.
The first resistance is a classical east/west resistance. The east (Arles, Marseille, Montpellier, Milan, etc.) was richer than the west, and the cities of the west thought that Gallia wasn't interested in them.

But it's untrue. Nantes, for example was nearly as strong as Marseille (see the previous text about the role of Nantes as a bridge between Norse, Britonia, Britannia Gallia and even Arabian traders).
The principal issue is that the lord of Marseille, Jules has become stronger than the king, but as he wanted the taxes from Nantes and all the regions of the west, he preferred to support a king (who represented unity) than becoming himself king. If the Jules became king, why should the west pay taxes to him ?
But the king can't get rid of Jules. He owes him too much, including his crown. After the death of Antonia, the kingdom could have plunge into anarchy, and destroy itself. It's thanks to him that the king had the money, the troops and the support to restore his authority.

We think that the death of the Duke of Nantes, in 943 played a very important role in the restoration of the authority. Some said that this assassinate was organized by Jules. As a matter of fact, the son of Jules received a few days later the duchy of Lombardia (which was created initially to weaken the too large duchy of Marseille...)

An outbreak of smallpox probably killed Charles III, as well as his children (most of them), and after that his brother Alexis, which forced Fabien his cousin to become king. This is the end of what was called later the "Greek period", during which everything was done to recreate the empire of Rome.

Fabien was Gallian, and turned its back to these old theories. It was never done again after that.

Next part tomorrow, the 960-1000 part.

The fate of Gallia (960-1000)

And now, the last text part of this grand TL.

After that, a few maps of year 1000, and some perspective for the XI and XII century, and that's all !

In 976, Fabien II (960-976-1008) succeeded to Fabien I. He tried to strengthen ties with Al-Tolosa, while raiding and take distance to the oriental roman empire.
Actually, the refusal of Fabien I (and after him, Fabien II) to invest himself (and Gallia with him) in a "global" war against Arabians - Al-Tolosa and Spain included - displeased to Alexis IV, the emperor of Byzance.
When Gallia helped Byzance (one century ago), Byzance was weaker. But now it was stronger, and wanted the help of Gallia to win the war.
To force him to accept, he refused some commercial facilities, installation of trading posts, and some boats were refused in Byzantine ports.
Fabien II then declared war to Byzantine empire in 986, and besieged Rome in 987. This siege in a failure, and in 988 he had to leave Rome and lost many men. After the battle of Arezzo, and the looting of Perugia, Fabien II was forced to recognize the supremacy of Alexis IV in 991.

Alexis IV gave him the choice of declaring war against Al Tolosa and their neighbors or cede many lands. But, after this war, Gallia was quite weak, and preferred neutrality. Gallia had to cede all the territories south to the Arno, Florence became then the new frontier between Byzance and Gallia.

In the rest of Gallia, symbol of the tolerance in Gallia at this time, Fabien II took Muhammad al Dantus as advisor (he came from Pamplona in Spain). As well, Louis, lord of Albi, was sent in Tolosa to be "ambassador" and an official alliance between Al Tolosa and Gallia was signed in 998.

As in Britonia, Frank kingdoms and Al tolosa, the very good weather at the end of the Xth century increased population by more or less 40% in 100 years. That was how slavery disappeared in the villae (which became, in the same time, small villages). The statute of "free man" was actually worse than slave, as a master had to feed a slave. Most lords didn't have lands to occupy the slaves and didn't have either food for them.
Small communities of free men installed in the borders of villae, and made the first villages. The leaders of these new domains were sometimes rich because they hadn't a castle to maintain. But they were recognized because of the very hierarchical post-roman society, which only accepted aristocracy (the right of the blood).

This new class of bourgeois came to the cities to be accepted in their new statute. And made an old practice alive : evergetism. Buildings were built or rebuilt at that time, with the money of the bourgeois who wanted to leave a trace of them. This is a great turn of the history of Gallia. The bourgeois, who left the cities after the crisis of the 3rd century, came back.
They used massively limestone and sandstone, which was abundant in south west of gallia (south west of France). With these soft materials, new forms could be built, announcing the new forms of art in the 11th century.

Now a religious map of 1000
Note the role of the "polytheistic Islam" in South west of France and the syncretism Germanic gods/druidism in eastern england.
As always, i'm ready to translate for everybody who would ask.

France 1000 religions.PNG

France 1000 religions.PNG

Next week will be last week, i think. Perhaps two

But as I have 2 centuries to write, based on 3 months of thinkings, i think that you will be interested by what i will write !

Ideas for the future : Al-Tolosa.

After the fall of Cordoba, in Spain, taïfas began to recompose.
The book published at the end of the Xth century to denounce polytheistic Islam had more and more consequences.
What was first rumors growed until the mid XIth century where it began an enormous wave of anger. In 1085, at last, some taïfas in Africa took the arms to attack Al-Tolosa and the other heretics.
This was called the war of the Infidels, but also as the war of religion.
In 1103, after the battle of Huesca, the fate of the war was decided with the loss of the great general Abd al Pyrenia from Al Tolosa.
In 1118, at last the "peace of blood" which forced Al-Tolosa to convert and suppress heresy (and, if necessary, heretics). Al-Tolosa is occupied.
Gallia, which was also experiencing major troubles couldn't help its ally during this war.

In 1123, an Inquisition was created to search and destroy heresy. The weight and the zeal of this instutition was so heavy that in 1140, Bordeaux was revolting (revolt the enlightened spirits).
In 1142, Tolosa was also revolting.
The army of the "orthodox" crossed the Pyrenees and besieged Lourdes in 1144.
In 1148, all the north of Pyrenées was freed from the "Orthodox".